• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steep |OT| Shaun White Simulator

SmartBase

Ok, so I bit the bulet and went ahead and grabbed a copy on my way home from work.

I love this. Why the so-so reviews? It doesn't feel essentially different to me than an open world checklist game, like for example Watchdogs 2.

Watchdogs 2 feels way more repetitive to me than this. Basicly any open world checklist game can be comapred to the structure and gameplay "formula" of this game, generally.

This game is absolutely beautiful and stunning, easy to play, hard to master, really really fun gameplay. At least for me.

I went to bed at 3 am because I wanted to unlock a snowboard and needed a gold medal in an event, was falling short all the times I tried and was stuck there for like an hour and a half, but never felt bored.

Granted, paragliding is the sport I like the least, but it's also kinda the most relaxed and slow of the bunch.

Skiing feels incredible in this game and so does snowboarding and the gliding suit is just exhilarating.

So yeah, pure fun for me. Really glad I got it.

You use the left stick to steer, the right stick to "brake"/move around your board. R2 to prepare jump, release jump and use left stick+ r2/l2 for tricks.

Left and right = spins
up and down = vertical spins

you can mix those up. There is no grinding mechanic and I still have not seen a slope.

Also you have a resistance meter. Each time you land, dependign on how good and from how tall and how hard you land, you deplete that meter, if you empty it you fall down and lose the multiplier.

That resistance meter actually sounds pretty neat, never been a huge fan of arcadey snowboarding games.

Impulsor

That resistance meter actually sounds pretty neat, never been a huge fan of arcadey snowboarding games.

It makes you be mindful of how much you jump, when you jump and how you jump, as well as how much you risk the tricks during the jumps. In my opinion it adds a layer of depth that is very cool, since knowing how to manage that meter could very well mean the difference between winning and losing.

Addi

You use the left stick to steer, the right stick to "brake"/move around your board. R2 to prepare jump, release jump and use left stick+ r2/l2 for tricks.

Left and right = spins
up and down = vertical spins

you can mix those up. There is no grinding mechanic and I still have not seen a slope.

Also you have a resistance meter. Each time you land, dependign on how good and from how tall and how hard you land, you deplete that meter, if you empty it you fall down and lose the multiplier.

You can also use the right stick while holding a trick to tweak it in different direction.

Regarding the resistance meter, it also makes it challenging to ride down really steep places, too harsh of a turn and you wipe out. At max speed, even small bumps can fuck you up if you don't watch out. A little tips: the meter fills up faster when you are in the air since there is no friction.

AEREC

Thanks, I'll be waiting for a sale then. The game is fun but the wonky physics are really quite a bummer to me.

For what it's worth it doesn't really detract from the game for me at least. However I get my main enjoyment from just exploring and cruising around. It's only every once in a while that something physics-wise seems odd. Not a frequent occurrence.

Nameless

Nothing I want in the Holiday Sale this week, so I'll probably grab Steep with the 20% code. Doubt I'll get a better deal digitally anytime soon. Physical is a bit of a deal breaker for a game like this.

Impulsor

Hopefully it sold well. I wonder what they have planned for this game going forward.......

I don't know about free content but the season pass includes:

The Adrenaline Pack will include three additional outfits: the Woodcutter, Crystalline and the Classic White Wingsuit. The Adrenaline Pack will also introduce night challenges and glow-in-the-dark costumes to the game.

The Winterfest Pack will offer new challenges, a new Sport (Winter Sled) and will introduce a few “Fun” costumes, including a Sumo wrestling outfit and a Pizza Wingsuit.

Finally, the Extreme Pack will expand the game with three new Sports: Rocket Wings, Base Jump and Speed Gliding. Additional challenges will also be added.

Thanks, I'll be waiting for a sale then. The game is fun but the wonky physics are really quite a bummer to me.

Perfect physics is not the best option in a video game, IMO. If the developers made the game ultra realistic (which is actually EASIER), you wouldn't be able to climb elevated terrain easily and you'll get stuck in the snow very often when you lose momentum. What they did to the physics in this game to make it enjoyable is just enough such that you'll still be able to gain speed after you crash to a complete halt. Truth is, you are moving 99% of the time and the physics is great. The sense of speed in a very steep downhill is exhilarating!

That said, the movement on the ground in a wing suit needs to be improved. When you simply want to take a step and position your player before taking the big jump, the game makes you dive and fall flat to the ground.

Impulsor

Perfect physics is not the best option in a video game, IMO. If the developers made the game ultra realistic (which is actually EASIER), you wouldn't be able to climb elevated terrain easily and you'll get stuck in the snow very often when you lose momentum. What they did to the physics in this game to make it enjoyable is just enough such that you'll still be able to gain speed after you crash to a complete halt. Truth is, you are moving 99% of the time and the physics is great. The sense of speed in a very steep downhill is exhilarating!

That said, the movement on the ground in a wing suit needs to be improved. When you simply want to take a step and position your player before taking the big jump, the game makes you dive and fall flat to the ground.

Yeah, you have to select "walking mode" and position yourself and then select the wing suit.

If you just select the wing suit, your dude just jumps against the floor. It's actually pretty funny xD.

Yeah, you have to select "walking mode" and position yourself and then select the wing suit.

If you just select the wing suit, your dude just jumps against the floor. It's actually pretty funny xD.

Hahaha you know what's coming if you don't select walking mode!

danmaku

I suspect they did it on purpose just because it's fun to see your character faceplanting every time you press up.

Impulsor

I suspect they did it on purpose just because it's fun to see your character faceplanting every time you press up.

I always laugh. When you just do a little leap face down to the snow and hear the character shout in pain and then just stay there, its comical.

MUnited83

For you.

My issues isn't the physics not being ultra realistic or perfect, my issue is how inconsistent they are.

Freeman76

My issues isn't the physics not being ultra realistic or perfect, my issue is how inconsistent they are.

They arent really that inconsistent though. You have to learn how to position the board correctly for a smooth landing, and take into account the surface etc. It takes quite a lot of practice but its possible to nail this game pretty much.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
I despise the camera in this game. And pretty much everything else too.

What waste of $60.

Personal enjoyment review: 1/10

legbone

I always laugh. When you just do a little leap face down to the snow and hear the character shout in pain and then just stay there, its comical.

yep, i love doing it for shits and giggles. there should be a trophy unlock after so many of them.

Evolved1

I don't understand... it's like you have zero body control once you're in the air. I don't mean like SSX control, but it seems like you cannot even make slight adjustments to help stick landings. It's like the whole thing is determined by your initial input as you lift off. You can't seem to fight your rotation mid-air. You can't adjust your skis to minimize impact. It's like you're locked in, at the mercy of your initial input at take-off.

Is that realistic? Fine.

You know what would be nice, then, if I basically have to pre-load the whole trick? Being able to see what the fuck is coming up ahead of me. Why is this camera so far up the player's asshole?

Even if you hold the button for exploration camera (why is this not a toggle? I mean really, jesus) the damn thing auto-centers to that up-your-ass camera angle. You have to push it back up every frigging time. Whhhhyyyyyy?

Why did this shit not have a demo. It should've. 100's of people work on a game for years... and this is your camera? Well done.

Also while I'm crying salty tears... the fps is pretty spotty on Pro. Frequent drops. So good effort there too.

I don't understand... it's like you have zero body control once you're in the air. I don't mean like SSX control, but it seems like you cannot even make slight adjustments to help stick landings. It's like the whole thing is determined by your initial input as you lift off. You can't seem to fight your rotation mid-air. You can't adjust your skis to minimize impact. It's like you're locked in, at the mercy of your initial input at take-off.

Is that realistic? Fine.

The simulated feel is one of the reasons why I'm enjoying this game. I would not want it to have the arcade feel of a fighting game. Being able to pull off a string of unrealistic and momentum-defying tricks via button combinations would break the immersion of skiing in the mountains. Steep is a chill game.

Realism makes me enjoy playing Flight Simulator X and X-Plane in the long run more than Ace Combat. Arcade games tend to get old quickly.

100's of people work on a game for years... and this is your camera? Well done.

Let's hope we get more playable views in the next update. There should be zoom in, zoom out; fixed views from left, right, behind the person, etc.

Also while I'm crying salty tears... the fps is pretty spotty on Pro. Frequent drops. So good effort there too.

I guess the price of having no loading times is having frequent drops while streaming data from the disk. Maybe an SSD would help?

Evolved1

The simulated feel is one of the reasons why I'm enjoying this game. I would not want it to have the arcade feel of a fighting game. Being able to pull off a string of unrealistic and momentum-defying tricks via button combinations would break the immersion of skiing in the mountains. Steep is a chill game.

Realism is the reason why I enjoy playing Flight Simulator X and X-Plane in the long run more than Ace Combat. Arcade games tend to get old quickly.

I guess the price of having no loading times is having frequent drops while streaming data from the disk. Maybe an SSD would help?
Right. Like I said, I'm not looking for SSX.

However, it would be nice to make small adjustments when landing. As it is, you're at the mercy of the game. It's completely arbitrary.

And if simulation is the argument, then I'd be remiss not to point out the silly SSX-like barrel roll the player does if you hit up or down on the left stick. In almost all other cases, late inputs while mid-air result in minimal effect. If you miss the input at take-off, the rider barely responds, and the game even tells you why -- you were late. Except for barrel rolls. You can pull those at any moment, straight-up arcade style. There's an irony that the input for those happens to be up / down on the left stick... that's what my brain keeps trying to use to make small adjustments on landings, instead it initiates silly arcade-momentum barrel rolls.

Right. Like I said, I'm not looking for SSX.

However, it would be nice to make small adjustments when landing. As it is, you're at the mercy of the game. It's completely arbitrary.

And if simulation is the argument, then I'd be remiss not to point out the silly SSX-like barrel roll the player does if you hit up or down on the left stick. In almost all other cases, late inputs while mid-air result in minimal effect. If you miss the input at take-off, the rider barely responds, and the game even tells you why -- you were late. Except for barrel rolls. You can pull those at any moment, straight-up arcade style. There's an irony that the input for those happens to be up / down on the left stick... that's what my brain keeps trying to use to make small adjustments on landings, instead it initiates silly arcade-momentum barrel rolls.

Yeah, landing controls need tweaking. In my case, I just let go of everything moments before landing and hope to land properly. Autopilot.

That's the wrong kind of simulation.

I have yet to figure out the controls completely. As far as I can tell, you move the sticks to initiate a trick after which your player will wind down and wait for another trick command; when the sticks are on neutral, the character will align himself for landing on your body's instinct. I believe it's a good system. The logic is you move the stick to initiate a trick and do nothing if you just want to land. I think it's more realistic that way (as opposed to being able to completely control the direction of movement as you land).

Evolved1

I have yet to figure out the controls completely. As far as I can tell, you move the sticks to initiate a trick after which your player will wind down and wait for another trick command; when the sticks are on neutral, the character will align himself for landing on your body's instinct. I believe it's a good system. The logic is you move the stick to initiate a trick and do nothing if you just want to land. I think it's more realistic that way (as opposed to being able to completely control the direction of movement as you land).
Except for the issue that the character sucks at landing. Even you don't do a trick at all, I frequently watch the character practically eat it on big air landings.

Impulsor

Except for the issue that the character sucks at landing. Even you don't do a trick at all, I frequently watch the character practically eat it on big air landings.

The angle and balance with which you land affects the imapct of the landing.

If you have half of the resistance bar you are more likely to crash. The brakes are your friends too.

The landing "system" in this game is finnicky sometimes, but you get the hang of it. I'm quite capable of surviving really long falls in very vertical lines.

I'm sorry you're not enjoying it as much as I am.

As I said, I'm completely and hopelessly addicted to this. I even put the last guardian on hold.

codhand

waiting in the neutral position during flight for too long is a detriment to a smooth landing, you basically wanna be doing trick rotations right up until you meet the snow, and angle and crash bar play a role as mentioned, as well. it is possible to land high jumps with little or no crash bar impact.

For fear that I might be over-reacting into thinking that Steep is the best game of the year, I played an hour of Snow which is free on Steam. Oh boy, the difference is night and day. Snow's graphics, controls, PHYSICS and overall presentation are trash compared to Steep's. It turns out that Steep is a greater game than I thought!

Congratulations to Ubisoft Annecy for a magnificent effort!

Freeman76

This is my GOTY. Its grown on me more and more and while there have been so many great games this year most of them have been part of a series and its so great to not only have a current gen snowboarding game but also one that is a new IP.

The feel of the game and the rush that comes from finding a great line or nailing a complex trick whilst holding on for dear life is superb. Its the closest thing to a snowboarding holiday without going away.

Impulsor

For fear that I might be over-reacting into thinking that Steep is the best game of the year, I played an hour of Snow which is free on Steam. Oh boy, the difference is night and day. Snow's graphics, controls, PHYSICS and overall presentation are trash compared to Steep's. It turns out that Steep is a greater game than I thought!

Congratulations to Ubisoft Annecy for a magnificent effort!

not willing to go that far, but definitely the sleeper game of the year, Gamespot didnt even review it ffs!

I agree with both of you.

This reminds me of Shadow of Mordor in a way, it was the sleeper for me that year.

Its a shame this game didn't get more coverage, because it is awesome.

This is my GOTY. Its grown on me more and more and while there have been so many great games this year most of them have been part of a series and its so great to not only have a current gen snowboarding game but also one that is a new IP.

The feel of the game and the rush that comes from finding a great line or nailing a complex trick whilst holding on for dear life is superb. Its the closest thing to a snowboarding holiday without going away.

I'm nearly considering this my GOTY too, its the first game this year that has consistently made me stay up till 3 am playing. REally, really hooked. until I nail a line and get that goal, I don't stop.

Today I learned that we are getting Alaska through free DLC. OMG, hyped.

Miggytronz

I've tweeted the official page for the game. Anyone have some contacts at Annecy with Twitter accounts? I want to know officially what PRO support the game actually has.

Fonds

This game actually selling well? Amazon is 3-5 weeks for shipment, my local Best Buy has no copies.

People have have been waiting for ages for a good snowsports game... Too bad it had to be this one.

Expect bargain bins to be flooding with copies soon.

Impulsor

People have have been waiting for ages for a good snowsports game... Too bad it had to be this one.

Expect bargain bins to be flooding with copies soon.

I hope not. I hope the game sells well and has a long healthy life with a nice player base to support it.

Fonds

I hope not. I hope the game sells well and has a long healthy life with a nice player base to support it.

If that could be supplemented by some serious patches to add not just frivolous bullshit, but some major mechanical changes and gameplay additions... I'd like that option too.

Impulsor

If that could be supplemented by some serious patches to add not just frivolous bullshit, but some major mechanical changes and gameplay additions... I'd like that option too.

Adding Alaska and new sports to me is serious enough. I don't feel the game needs major mechanical changes. As for gameplay additions, what else would you want?

Fonds

Adding Alaska and new sports to me is serious enough. I don't feel the game needs major mechanical changes. As for gameplay additions, what else would you want?

Mechanically I'd hope doing tricks would feel more natural and less clonky.
As a gameplay addition I'd like to see jibbing (grinding) added to the game. It's a pretty major part of the sport and it's completely left out at the moment.

codhand

As a gameplay addition I'd like to see jibbing (grinding) added to the game. It's a pretty major part of the sport and it's completely left out at the moment.

sounds like you want to play ssx3

Impulsor

I don't like artificial grinding, as in "magnet" grinding, if you know what I mean. But I can understand.

As for tricks, they never felt clunky to me and I can pull them off whenever I want now.

How much did you play this, out of curiosity?

Fonds

I don't like artificial grinding, as in "magnet" grinding, if you know what I mean. But I can understand.

As for tricks, they never felt clunky to me and I can pull them off whenever I want now.

How much did you play this, out of curiosity?

I've played the beta and release candidate for quite a bit, around 10 hours I suppose.
The main issue I've got with the game is that rotation is as static as a preset street figher combo.
Running up to a slope and carving into a spin just doesn't feel natural at all. Once you are in the air you're locked to a certain rotation that most of the times doesn't make sense in correlation to your run-up at all.

Amped 1/2 (a +-15 year old game) actually did this a lot better.

*EDIT* concerning magnet grinding... I woulnd't want it to work that way either, but I'm sure a gamestudio in 2016 should be able to pull off something more natural.
At the moment it isn't possible to nosepress or tailpress at all, making jibbing a non-existent part of the game.

sounds like you want to play ssx3

I certainly don't want SSX. That game is way too arcadey for my tastes.

I've been snowboarding myself for about 20 years now, and I'm pretty certain what I'd like a simulation snowsports game to be like.

Amped is the thing that comes closest of the bunch in my opinion even if that was quite a bit over the top at some points.

codhand

dat simulation
vhdfg0kuo0.gif

nah i hear ya tho, grinding..

and you played 10 hours of a game you dont like, so at least youre certain

Impulsor

I've played the beta and release candidate for quite a bit, around 10 hours I suppose.
The main issue I've got with the game is that rotation is as static as a preset street figher combo.
Running up to a slope and carving into a spin just doesn't feel natural at all. Once you are in the air you're locked to a certain rotation that most of the times doesn't make sense in correlation to your run-up at all.

Amped 1/2 (a +-15 year old game) actually did this a lot better.

*EDIT* concerning magnet grinding... I woulnd't want it to work that way either, but I'm sure a gamestudio in 2016 should be able to pull off something more natural.
At the moment it isn't possible to nosepress or tailpress at all, making jibbing a non-existent part of the game.

I certainly don't want SSX. That game is way too arcadey for my tastes.

I've been snowboarding myself for about 20 years now, and I'm pretty certain what I'd like a simulation snowsports game to be like.

Amped is the thing that comes closest of the bunch in my opinion even if that was quite a bit over the top at some points.

Oh I understand what you mean better now. Yeah,it would be nice for sure. About the spins, I obviously cannot understand it like you because I have never practiced snowboarding or skiing.

I don't feel I'm locked into a rotation, if I let go of the tricks buttons and the left stick, I stop rotating, or do you mean changing rotation and rotation speed mid air?

Top Bottom