• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steins Gate, or Steins Gate Elite?

Shantae

Banned
I really want to play this game already, it has been way too long since I've put it off. Keep reading threads about how it's one of the best VNs out there, and every time I read the premise, it does sound awesome so I want to get around to it already.

Ever since Elite came out, I keep reading some people say the original is better, but sometimes people say that the Elite version has it's value as well.

I already own Elite on my Switch, but until recently, I completely forgot that I have the original Steins Gate on my PSN account for PS3. So I already own both of them, but I need help deciding which version I should play.

And just for fun, because I found this recently and it made me laugh:

Dthomp

I would also love to know what the difference is with these, as I played Steins Gate 0 without any sort of catching up so I'm not sure what Elite is in regards to timeframe of the titles. I enjoyed it, but I feel like I was missing something from a previous game/anime

SirTerry-T

The original one is my preference. I loved the anime but that was after playing the original version.

Last edited:

Shantae

Banned
I would also love to know what the difference is with these, as I played Steins Gate 0 without any sort of catching up so I'm not sure what Elite is in regards to timeframe of the titles. I enjoyed it, but I feel like I was missing something from a previous game/anime
Well from what I understand, Elite is a remake of Steins Gate 1, that uses scenes from the anime to flesh out the presentation. They're actually making a Steins Gate 0 Elite.

Teslerum

Normal Stein's Gate has better/more unique art. Elite just looks like Anime #3322245, (IMO)
Otherwise there are both scenes removed/shortened and a few added in Elite. (A charachter is also cut from Elite)

Pick either, but I really like the Hammer Art in the original, so it will always get my vote.

Last edited:

Shantae

Banned
Normal Stein's Gate has better/more unique art. Elite just looks like Anime #3322245, (IMO)
Otherwise there are both scenes removed/shortened and a few added in Elite. (A charachter is also cut from Elite)

Pick either, but I really like the Hammer Art in the original, so it will always get my vote.
I guess I'm a simp who just likes having anime #3322245 then, lol. I might lean towards Elite more also if it has scenes that are animated, because I like a better presentation, and voice acting if it has it.

Reactions: Isa

Teslerum

I guess I'm a simp who just likes having anime #3322245 then, lol. I might lean towards Elite more also if it has scenes that are animated, because I like a better presentation, and voice acting if it has it.

Both have voice acting. Your choice and I didn't mean that as an insult. (Which is why I added the imo) For me personally the Hammer Art just looks THAT good.

Steins%3BGate.full.1478586.jpg

It's just one step above.

And like I said you can choose either. Differences between both version are as I mentioned already.

- A cut charachter
- Multiple scenes removed/shortened as lack of material from the anime.
- Few Scenes added
- Your phone isn't freely usable and just pops up when needed. Technically not a big loss, but had some charm.

That's about it, both versions are still very much Stein's Gate so again choose either.

Last edited:

Shantae

Banned
Maybe I'll play Elite of this for now, and if I feel like playing more afterwards, there is Steins;Gate My Darling Embrace which is basically like romantic comedy side stories that look to use the same art style of the original games. I might wait for the Elite version of Steins;Gate 0 to play that one.

YukiOnna

Definitely the original, but I just don't think the anime designs can match up to huke's artstyle which gives the world and characters a specific look & atmosphere and it has a charm to it.

brap

Banned
The original unless you're some shit eating pleb that wants to stare at the shitty generic anime art for hours.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
I liked Elite better. The animation made the game feel so much more alive, and I loved how much it felt like playing an anime. Yes, the art in the original has a more interesting style, but I didn't find it quite as engaging.

ExpandKong

Banned
I haven’t even played Elite yet but I’m pretty confident in saying the original is the way to go.

Which character was removed from Elite?

Shantae

Banned
Sort of a bump, but I wanted to talk some more about this game, and hoping someone whose played it may come along and give me some encouragement.

I ended up started the Elite version of Steins;Gate on Switch the other night. It's been 2 nights since I played it, and I need some encouragement to keep going.

I really like the premise, the setup could be interesting, but...I'm finding I have a problem with it.

Mostly the main character. I mean, wtf. Usually in these sorts of games, the MC is a vessel for the player, to a point where you feel you related to their words and actions. I'm finding him to be the most unrelate-able part of the whole game so far though. He's obnoxious, annoying, and they don't really give good justification for his insanity. Every one else is more likable than the MC.

I'm also noticing the level of interactivity in this game is some of the worst in any VN I've played. I haven't played a ton, but I love a fair few. I've mentioned Danganronpa before, which has loads more interactivity. The Zero Escape games have the puzzle segments, but are a bit more word heavy than I like, but it's made up for with how good the games are as a whole (at least the first 2). I loved Doki Doki Lit Club, but that was a lot shorter than most games. Phoenix Wright and Ghost Trick, more adventure style games than pure visual novel, but still kinda close. Love those.

This game so far just feels so rigid though, that I'm just watching and reading and pressing A with no breakup for me to interact except how to respond to text messages once in a while.

Help me folks, give me hope to keep me going.

ExpandKong

Banned
Sort of a bump, but I wanted to talk some more about this game, and hoping someone whose played it may come along and give me some encouragement.

I ended up started the Elite version of Steins;Gate on Switch the other night. It's been 2 nights since I played it, and I need some encouragement to keep going.

I really like the premise, the setup could be interesting, but...I'm finding I have a problem with it.

Mostly the main character. I mean, wtf. Usually in these sorts of games, the MC is a vessel for the player, to a point where you feel you related to their words and actions. I'm finding him to be the most unrelate-able part of the whole game so far though. He's obnoxious, annoying, and they don't really give good justification for his insanity. Every one else is more likable than the MC.

I'm also noticing the level of interactivity in this game is some of the worst in any VN I've played. I haven't played a ton, but I love a fair few. I've mentioned Danganronpa before, which has loads more interactivity. The Zero Escape games have the puzzle segments, but are a bit more word heavy than I like, but it's made up for with how good the games are as a whole (at least the first 2). I loved Doki Doki Lit Club, but that was a lot shorter than most games. Phoenix Wright and Ghost Trick, more adventure style games than pure visual novel, but still kinda close. Love those.

This game so far just feels so rigid though, that I'm just watching and reading and pressing A with no breakup for me to interact except how to respond to text messages once in a while.

Okabe definitely takes some warming up to. I actually quit playing the original for a couple months because the story is pretty slow to really start popping off, and because he was a bit unrelatable with his whole mad scientist conspiracy schtick.

I picked it back up out of sheer boredom eventually and once I hit That Point, I couldn’t put it down until I got every ending.

Then I bought the anime and watched that too.

I can’t guarantee that you’ll have the same experience but it really did end up being one of my favorite stories ever, definitely my favorite time travel story. You do find out why Okabe acts the way he does.

It is pretty low on interactivity though. The original version is a bit more because you can pull up the phone at will, but it’s not like you can send texts or call people whenever you want.

EDIT: i haven’t played Elite yet though, it’s in my backlog.

Last edited:

Shantae

Banned
Okabe definitely takes some warming up to. I actually quit playing the original for a couple months because the story is pretty slow to really start popping off, and because he was a bit unrelatable with his whole mad scientist conspiracy schtick.

I picked it back up out of sheer boredom eventually and once I hit That Point, I couldn’t put it down until I got every ending.

Then I bought the anime and watched that too.

I can’t guarantee that you’ll have the same experience but it really did end up being one of my favorite stories ever, definitely my favorite time travel story. You do find out why Okabe acts the way he does.

It is pretty low on interactivity though. The original version is a bit more because you can pull up the phone at will, but it’s not like you can send texts or call people whenever you want.

EDIT: i haven’t played Elite yet though, it’s in my backlog.
I own both versions, original on PS3 and Elite on Switch, and I did do a quick comparison of the openings. Other than the presentation, they did seem nearly identical. The voice acting was the same, as well as all the lines up to the point I tried it out. I figured I'd stick with the Elite version because it did have more animation and such.

Thanks for all your input though, it's kinda what I needed to hear.

Meted

I watched the anime first, then played the game awhile later, even knowing what happens the start is slow and was rough going, but after a certain point it really picks up

Last edited:

lyan

I think Okabe from the start is unrelatable by design, part of the magic is how the game manages to turn that around as it moves on. Miyano's performance was stellar.
Interactivity is unfortunately minimal, it could be removed altogether with little value lost.

Okabe has a pretty severe case of chuunibyou which doesn't really improve during the original game, but the situation he finds himself in becomes very serious in a hurry and that dynamic of his personality starts to fit the problems he has later on. Or to put it another way, if he didn't play pretend mad scientist all the time the way he did, he would never have made it through the shit he sees. His feigned insanity more or less saves him in the end.

And yes, it's completely an act. You can see bursts of him being completely normal when shit gets real in Steins;Gate, but if you really want to see him normal all the time you should play Steins;Gate Zero after you finish Steins;Gate. It's actually really depressing to see normal Okabe, it's like he's dead inside (and if you know the story of Zero you also know why).

If you make it far enough, you'll find yourself sympathizing quite a bit with him because holy hell has he seen some shit by the end. Also his romance with Christina is unironically one of the best I've read in this particular genre. There is a sequel that's only an anime film which really kind of nails that point straight home. It helps if you watch the anime series first before you tackle the film because otherwise the animation style contrast from the game will be jarring.

Steins;Gate is a pretty traditional VN which means it has fairly minimal interactivity, although the Phone Trigger events are important during repeat playthroughs to reach all the story branches. You spend most of your time in traditional VN's reading, listening to voice acting, and pressing A to continue. This is what traditional VN's are like, that's why they are called Visual Novels. Reading a book has no interactivity other than turning the pages, after all.

Last edited:

Nico_D

Tbh I was disappointed by the game. After the intro it took a while to get started again, like a long while. When it was good, it was really good and intense and even scary only to run out of steam towards the end.

Its already been explained way better than I could, but part of why I think the story is so good is precisely because Okabe is like that at the start. The dynamic of a delusional manchild having to face extremely serious situations and actually experience some of the bullshit he pretended about is just so compelling and well done. And as mentioned, those few times when he actually acts serious and normal are a fantastic contrast and really add to his character.

I also felt something was off at the start and was extremely skeptical for a while, but by the end it proved itself to easily be my favorite VN, and might even be the best time travel story I've experienced as well.

FatalT1

Banned
Please, PLEASE watch Steins;Gate All Elite is, is the anime but in visual novel form. It's pathetic. I wish I hadn't wasted money on it.

cireza

Strongly prefer the original to Elite. Much better artwork, and I guess that the script was shortened if the anime is the basis, but don't know for sure.

Shantae

Banned
I just wanted to chime in again, and I'm in the middle of Chapter 6 of Elite.

I'm basically watching an anime instead of playing a game here, lol but yeah, I'm getting into it. I don't know where the story could unfold at this point, but it intrigues me.

Shantae

Banned
Well I was up all night last night, and I finished Steins Gate Elite. It was more like watching a very long anime than playing a game, but it was a good one still. Really fell for Kurisu over the course of the game, and felt for Okabe. I'm already trying to find a Kurisu figure to add to my display case that I can afford, lol.

I'm eager for more story, but at the same time, I'm gonna need a break after all that.

I think my biggest complaint are some of the middle chapters where it feels like it's shoehorning in love stories with the other female characters. I liked the one with Suzuha the most because it got pretty dark there for a bit, but Faris and Lukako really dragged. They also have so little relevance to the overall story in the end.

Overall I'd consider myself a fan now, but I'm also feeling overwhelmed. I know Steins Gate 0 is supposed to be a sequel to a potential bad ending of Steins Gate, but now I'm learning that it's part of a connected world of other VNs like Chaos;Head, Chaos;Child, and another series called Robotics Note. So confused about where to go with that stuff lol. I also know there are animes that follow the story of this game, but there aren't any games based on them, so now I'm not sure how to find those...ugh.

I'm a little bummed that there is no game that takes place after this game, and that SG0 is a sequel to a different timeline, because that means that unless I watch an anime, I don't get to see what happens after this game's true ending.

ExpandKong

Banned
Well I was up all night last night, and I finished Steins Gate Elite. It was more like watching a very long anime than playing a game, but it was a good one still. Really fell for Kurisu over the course of the game, and felt for Okabe. I'm already trying to find a Kurisu figure to add to my display case that I can afford, lol.

I'm eager for more story, but at the same time, I'm gonna need a break after all that.

I think my biggest complaint are some of the middle chapters where it feels like it's shoehorning in love stories with the other female characters. I liked the one with Suzuha the most because it got pretty dark there for a bit, but Faris and Lukako really dragged. They also have so little relevance to the overall story in the end.

Overall I'd consider myself a fan now, but I'm also feeling overwhelmed. I know Steins Gate 0 is supposed to be a sequel to a potential bad ending of Steins Gate, but now I'm learning that it's part of a connected world of other VNs like Chaos;Head, Chaos;Child, and another series called Robotics Note. So confused about where to go with that stuff lol. I also know there are animes that follow the story of this game, but there aren't any games based on them, so now I'm not sure how to find those...ugh.

I'm a little bummed that there is no game that takes place after this game, and that SG0 is a sequel to a different timeline, because that means that unless I watch an anime, I don't get to see what happens after this game's true ending.

There is an OVA episode of the anime and a movie (Load Region of Deja Vu) that continue the story of Steins;Gate's true ending. I liked them well enough but the general consensus on the movie is "eh" from what I read. Probably worth a rental at least if you're interested in continuing that story.

Shantae

Banned
There is an OVA episode of the anime and a movie (Load Region of Deja Vu) that continue the story of Steins;Gate's true ending. I liked them well enough but the general consensus on the movie is "eh" from what I read. Probably worth a rental at least if you're interested in continuing that story.
Just one OVA episode? I was looking at some time line online and it seemed like it listed a bunch of things.

Saw one clip on YouTube where Kurisu is drunk, not sure what it was from, but it was cute. She is certainly waifu material lol

Last edited:

Shantae

Banned
I dunno if anyone is interested, but I have a spare code for the Steins Gate 8 bit adventure that comes with the Switch version of Elite. It spoils the main game, but I already have it, so I don't need this second code. Anyone want it?

Sakura

I wouldn't bother with Steins Gate 0. It's alright, but it is kind of pointless and doesn't really add anything to the story. None of the games in the series really have sequels, they are all kind of stand alone titles in the same universe. In terms of timeline, Chaos;Head, Steins;Gate, Robotics;Notes, and Chaos;Child. I never really played Chaos;Child. Robotics;Notes is my favourite.
All of the games are pretty different from each other. If you liked Steins;Gate, that doesn't mean you will like Chaos;Head or Robotics;Notes. You'd probably hate the protagonist in Chaos;Head, and the protagonist in Robotics;Notes is a normal dude. There isn't really anywhere to "go" after Steins;Gate.

Shantae

Banned
I wouldn't bother with Steins Gate 0. It's alright, but it is kind of pointless and doesn't really add anything to the story. None of the games in the series really have sequels, they are all kind of stand alone titles in the same universe. In terms of timeline, Chaos;Head, Steins;Gate, Robotics;Notes, and Chaos;Child. I never really played Chaos;Child. Robotics;Notes is my favourite.
All of the games are pretty different from each other. If you liked Steins;Gate, that doesn't mean you will like Chaos;Head or Robotics;Notes. You'd probably hate the protagonist in Chaos;Head, and the protagonist in Robotics;Notes is a normal dude. There isn't really anywhere to "go" after Steins;Gate.
Noooo, that kinda makes me sad.

What are the other games even about? I know Daru appears in the Robotics;Notes game, but that's all I know.

After the way the game ends, it probably is for the best that there isn't a true sequel to Okabe's story, because he goes through some shit, I'd feel bad making him do anything more after all that. I just wish I knew what happens with him and Kurisu after the last shot. Seems like she remembers him, but also seems like the anime clips I've seen make it seem like she doesn't.

It's the price we pay for falling in love with characters I guess. You want them to get closure, but you also wanna keep spending time with them.

Sakura

Noooo, that kinda makes me sad.

What are the other games even about? I know Daru appears in the Robotics;Notes game, but that's all I know.

After the way the game ends, it probably is for the best that there isn't a true sequel to Okabe's story, because he goes through some shit, I'd feel bad making him do anything more after all that. I just wish I knew what happens with him and Kurisu after the last shot. Seems like she remembers him, but also seems like the anime clips I've seen make it seem like she doesn't.

It's the price we pay for falling in love with characters I guess. You want them to get closure, but you also wanna keep spending time with them.
Chaos;Head is probably the worst (in my opinion, without having played Chaos;Child), it's about the power of delusions or something. It's been a very long time since I played it. Basically the protagonist is a high school student hikikomori otaku who is super socially retarded. You have delusion triggers throughout the game where you can choose whether to have a good or bad delusion, or neither, and this can determine the ending. There is lots of mysterious stuff going on in the game, and you/the protagonist doesn't know what is real or not. It is enjoyable enough in its own way, but the protag really is insufferable.
Robotics;Notes is set on Tanegashima, which is a much more rural setting than the previous two games. It's more laid back, and it isn't full of weird otaku characters. The story is about robots as the protagonist and the main heroine are both part of a robotics club. Daru doesn't really appear in Robotics;Notes, though you can see him in the in-game version of twitter. There is another character who makes a re-appearance from Steins;Gate though, but it is kind of minor. Apparently Daru appears in the sequel which came out last year, but I've never played it and wasn't even aware there was a sequel until looking it up now.

Shantae

Banned
Chaos;Head is probably the worst (in my opinion, without having played Chaos;Child), it's about the power of delusions or something. It's been a very long time since I played it. Basically the protagonist is a high school student hikikomori otaku who is super socially retarded. You have delusion triggers throughout the game where you can choose whether to have a good or bad delusion, or neither, and this can determine the ending. There is lots of mysterious stuff going on in the game, and you/the protagonist doesn't know what is real or not. It is enjoyable enough in its own way, but the protag really is insufferable.
Robotics;Notes is set on Tanegashima, which is a much more rural setting than the previous two games. It's more laid back, and it isn't full of weird otaku characters. The story is about robots as the protagonist and the main heroine are both part of a robotics club. Daru doesn't really appear in Robotics;Notes, though you can see him in the in-game version of twitter. There is another character who makes a re-appearance from Steins;Gate though, but it is kind of minor. Apparently Daru appears in the sequel which came out last year, but I've never played it and wasn't even aware there was a sequel until looking it up now.
Sounds like the connections are loose at best, and any connections to Steins;Gate are being shoehorned in more recent games because Steins;Gate is still their most popular series.

I still will probably play Steins Gate 0 Elite when it comes out. I'm already too used to the anime style from the first Elite to go to the static images of the original version.

ExpandKong

Banned
Just one OVA episode? I was looking at some time line online and it seemed like it listed a bunch of things.

Saw one clip on YouTube where Kurisu is drunk, not sure what it was from, but it was cute. She is certainly waifu material lol

There’s also a bunch of like...audio dramas and a couple side games I think? My Darling’s Embrace for example is available on the Switch and elsewhere now. I haven’t played that one but from what I gather it’s kind of a goofy romance thing? I haven’t read up too much on most of them because none of them were really officially translated to English before MDE but I think the idea is they all kind of technically could be canon and just take place during that indeterminate amount of time where Okabe is still figuring out how everything works and ending up in different worldlines.

So it’s kind of murky.

As for animated stuff, after looking at the Wikipedia page it turns out there’s a little more than I thought:
  • Steins;Gate anime
  • OVA episode two months after game’s events
  • An alternate version of the anime episode 23 with an ending that leads into Steins;Gate 0
  • The movie Load Region of Deja Vu one year after the game’s events
  • Four animated shorts (sounds like some goofy side stuff involving an Upa)
  • Steins;Gate 0
  • An OVA episode for Steins;Gate 0
So while there’s a ton of content in other places, the only stuff that really continues after the first game’s good ending is the first OVA and the movie.

Sounds like the connections are loose at best, and any connections to Steins;Gate are being shoehorned in more recent games because Steins;Gate is still their most popular series.

I still will probably play Steins Gate 0 Elite when it comes out. I'm already too used to the anime style from the first Elite to go to the static images of the original version.

0 is quite good. Not as good as the first game of course but I liked some of the new characters they introduced. Curious about the Elite version.

Thief1987

What experience is better, watch the anime or the games versions like PS3, PC , Nintendo Switch?
Depends on your preferences. Do you like reading? Because the game is a 30-40 hours of reading with little to no interactivity. But it's better in describing events, better in fleshing out characters and gives you a full unedited story. Plus anime has only main line route, while in VN there also 5 additional story branches which are non canon, but they are also give additional perspective on some characters and help in their development.

Last edited:

STARSBarry

Gold Member
What experience is better, watch the anime or the games versions like PS3, PC , Nintendo Switch?

I think the Elite version of the novel is probably the best way to experience it if your not a heavy VN user (most heavy users have played Stiens gate by now)

The anime is solid alone but I think it being framed around the visual novel and giving people access to choice is alot more engaging than just being given an anime to watch.

But everyone's going to have their own opinion on this, like the dude telling you to play the originals on Vita?!? I mean OK but statically your asking most people at that point to buy 2 generation old dead console just for the "optimal" way to play the classic version.

Elite is cheap, easy to get a hold of for PS4, Switch and PC and while it cuts a few of the side routes short still gives an improved experience for 90% of the game.

Last edited:

Gameboy415

I dunno if anyone is interested, but I have a spare code for the Steins Gate 8 bit adventure that comes with the Switch version of Elite. It spoils the main game, but I already have it, so I don't need this second code. Anyone want it?
I realize you posted this nearly a year ago but S;G 8-Bit Adventure is the one Steins;Gate game I haven't been able to get (seems like it was just a pre-order bonus?) so I would totally take the extra code if you still have it!

Also, if you haven't already, definitely check out Steins;Gate 0!
It's sort of a 'what if?' midquel but it has some really interesting story elements, helps to flesh out some of the characters' back stories, and ties in (somewhat) neatly with the original game's ending.
It's available digitally on Steam, PS4, & Switch (although I hear the Switch version has some issues) and there's a physical version for PS4.

Steins;Gate: Linear Bounded Phenogram is pretty interesting too. I haven't finished it yet but it's a collection of 10 linear (hence the title) side-stories told from the perspective of each main character.
It was only available for PS4 via a download voucher included with new copies of S;G Elite but it's also available on Steam.

cireza

like the dude telling you to play the originals on Vita?!?
The dude is making a suggestion, not telling people to do things.

Plus I was pretty sure that the person who asked actually owned a Vita. Also, VNs are a much better experience on a handheld, as far as I am concerned. And the Vita screen is fantastic for anything 2D high-res. Elite is ugly as sin, but to each his own.

Last edited:
So over the last year I've played through the 6 main games in the SciAdv series. Amazing series and I can't wait to see where they go next.

If you have a way to play it then I personally think it's best to go with the original S;G VN. Elite is nice to look at, but a lot is lost in the "upgrade". I'm actually rather bummed out that the original never hit the Switch.

Much like reading a book, sometimes less is more. With a VN you can read at your own pace, and I find that certain scenes/moments are more impactful when I can pause or go slow to take them in. Another big factor is that often in a VN there will be no visual representation for a scene but the main character will describe it in detail. It lets your imagination fill in the blanks and really sets some fantastic atmosphere, which I think is lost by just watching an anime scene.

If you're on the fence about playing S;G 0 as well, don't be. I hesitated at first because the games premise sounded depressing, but it's a fun ride. Tons of mystery and great moments, it fills in a lot of the blanks of the original, and it also introduces concepts that will be later used in the other SciAdv games.

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
Never played the game but the anime is top notch fun, character, story, plot, mystery, crazy.
Yes, I just saw that they did a Latin Spanish dub of Steins Gate. But I agree that the visual novel is more complete. I stayed in the third chapter, to resume it again

Top Bottom