• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stella has been removed from FFXV; Itamuro writing game; Demo 2 June 9; FFXV not @ E3

I agree that maybe it has been overblown but disagree that he didnt intend at least some of it to be inspired from it . Nomura has clearly stated that his influence on FFXV would have been a sort of mash up of Baz Lurhmans films including Romeo and Juliet:

[/b]
http://uk.ign.com/articles/2013/06/13/e3-2013-final-fantasy-xv-was-almost-a-musical
Visual aesthetic, not story-wise. Nomura's a fan of Baz's style, which is visually appealing. That's different than picking a specific story/plot. Nomura's an artist, hence he's going to be inspired by other visual media. Just because one of Baz's movies IS Romeo+Juliet is beside the point. Had Baz never done that movie, but still did the others, I'm sure Nomura would still be entranced by the spectacle.

Also, I recall people drawing comparisons to Luna's hair and Juliet's hair in the movie. Note, that's post-Stella stuff, right there.

Man I can't wait to see more of the story and especially see that artwork from ATR in game at Gamescom.

Couldn't agree more with Ishida. People are just stuck in their own fantasy of what Versus XIII was supposed to be.....

Dunan

But now it seems they scrapped that and now Luna is the cliche childhood friend/love interest. Gag.

If there is one concept that I could remove from all of Japanese storytelling and Japanese culture entirely, it is this ridiculous "your true friends are the ones from your early childhood" (osana-najimi) nonsense.

But that's my point. Pretty much everything we knew about Versus was "in a broader and most general sense". We never got incredibly specific details about the plot. Hell, even the personalities and roles of Noctis' companions seems to be the same.

Again, I'm SURE that A LOT was changed from Versus to XV, but did we actually KNEW about those things? They were handled internally by the devs, of course, but I'm sure they were never revealed to the public.

My issue here is with the overreaction. People are screaming that "everything they knew" about Versus is now dead. "Everything"? What's "everything"?

People had this weird fan fiction level of speculation about Versus XIII.

We knew several details from the gameplay, story direction, game systems and story details that have changed since, hell it changed since the proper re-reveal.

Basically Versus XIII dosn't exist anymore, except some very general concepts.

leaving-now-grandpa-simpsons.gif

"Can't you hear me yell-a, you're putting me through hell-a..."

tumblr_mcx0eflZ4e1qggthno1_500.jpg

CGwizz

Years and years of garbage deviantart pics and drawings wasted !!!! I am so sad this character i knew nothing about was deleted from the game and was replaced for another that its so similar only with diferent name and eye colors...
They are ruining it >.>

Ishida

Banned
Man I can't wait to see more of the story and especially see that artwork from ATR in game at Gamescom.

Couldn't agree more with Ishida. People are just stuck in their own fantasy of what Versus XIII was supposed to be.....

I won't lie, I also had my "head canon" fantasy of what Versus XIII was all about. I had it for almost 9 years.

But I understand it was nothing more than that: Speculation and fantasy on my part.

Gameplay system seems to be the biggest change between the two games. But the plot? Besides Stella and the sequence of events of the invasion.... Everything else seems the same. THAT is why I don't understand all the drama, and the slippery slope arguments.

It seems like Nomura's bailed on this and is just gonna focus on KH. I really hope KH3 doesn't suck or go thru as much development hell as this game. Just give me a chessy friendship story with some Toy Story, Frozen, Pocahontas and a fun battle system and I'll be happy.

Btw it's kinda funny how they're now blaming the Italian guy for Cindy's design lol. Cindy while goofy is the least of my concerns.

Slateboard

Neo Member
I won't lie, I also had my "head canon" fantasy of what Versus XIII was all about. I had it for almost 9 years.

But I understand it was nothing more than that: Speculation and fantasy on my part.

Gameplay system seems to be the biggest change between the two games. But the plot? Besides Stella and the sequence of events of the invasion.... Everything else seems the same. THAT is why I don't understand all the drama, and the slippery slope arguments.

In my personal experience, the biggest fans of VS XIII were also really fanatical Kingdom Hearts fans, and the ones I have talked to went pretty crazy with their theories and such about it. Which translated to being crazy about VS XIII as well.

I think it's as you say, that people set themselves up for disaster.

Can anyone explain what happened to SE in a nutshell? In terms of the quality of their storytelling I mean.

Was it always embarrassing teenaged hamfistery and we just didn't mind back then or has it genuinely gotten worse since the golden era?

The only FF games I've played are 5 and 10. The former really felt awesome and the latter was interesting but the ham levels were through the fkin roof.

The best way I can explain it is, Squaresoft was pure Disney. Magical. And damn near every game was an amazing experience, not just Final Fantasy.

From rpg's to shooters to fighters. Not the Bouncer though.

Precisely!

Regarding the plot of both games, we could list the details that we actually know about, side by side, and the only differences would be the Stella character, and the sequence of events of the Niflheim invasion.

People are ranting, as you said, because FFXV will no longer fit their own head canon. Hell, Versus XIII perhaps would not even fit either, if it was released.

Ladies and gentlemen, Exhibit A.

I agree with you. There's very little we ACTUALLY know about this game. What we "think" we know and what we actually know is two different things, and people have the knack of thinking something from nothing quite a lot. Just like how things called "tech demos" are proof of some game that's in the works. For FFXV, I think Square revealing Versus too soon(hell, before it was even beyond it's concept stage) and leaving everybody in the dark enabled a LONG period where people's imaginations ran wild based on every little thing they THOUGHT they knew about the game, based on speculation.

Ishida

Banned
In my personal experience, the biggest fans of VS XIII were also really fanatical Kingdom Hearts fans, and the ones I have talked to went pretty crazy with their theories and such about it. Which translated to being crazy about VS XIII as well.

I think it's as you say, that people set themselves up for disaster.

Pretty much. And this is coming from a really hardcore KH fan.

I dare anyone in this thread to tell me about all the "massive changes" of the plot between Versus and XV. I would like someone to list all the actual changes in the storyline.

Soooooo, is anyone going to explain in detail who Stella is and why the outrage?

Stella: She was royalty/princess of the kingdom of Tenebrae. She met Noctis at a party. She is eventually forced to fight Noctis due to unknown circumstances.

Luna: She is a noblewoman (Princess? We don't know) from the kingdom of Tenebrae. We don't know how she met Noctis, maybe they are childhood friends. We don't know if she fights Noctis or not.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Good post.

I have to admit, i also doubted you when i was just a lurker, that article i didn't want to believe, but you had the sources right the whole time.

When you guys said canceled, i was thinking we'd never see the game again, it seems i misinterpreted it. They really DID basically take assets from Versus and just re-purpose them for an entirely different game.

Ray Down

Banned
It seems like Nomura's bailed on this and is just gonna focus on KH. I really hope KH3 doesn't suck or go thru as much development hell as this game. Just give me a chessy friendship story with some Toy Story, Frozen, Pocahontas and a fun battle system and I'll be happy.

Btw it's kinda funny how they're now blaming the Italian guy for Cindy's design lol. Cindy while goofy is the least of my concerns.

He was force off by SE higher ups.

Toxi

Banned
What the hell is going on with this game? It feels like SE still doesn't have a good idea of what it's supposed to be.

It wasn't supposed to be anything, the game was in pre-production for several years and we got enough details of how was going to play, story directions, characters, overworld, battle system, etc...

Another thing is that Nomura could delivered the game they have designed, but to think that Versus was just supposed to be something after 9 years of production is ludicrious.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Soooooo, is anyone going to explain in detail who Stella is and why the outrage?

In the Versus 13 world, she was to be the second most important character after Noctis, a skilled fighter, princess of tenabrae and gifted with the same powers and abilities as Noctis.

She herself was essentially the reason why the game was called Versus.

She was on the opposite side of a conflict between Noctis's country and an opposing faction, and they were on a crash course, forced to fight each other even though they didn't want to.

Now...she's no more. We have a character who looks similar. And the fact that the character we've had drilled into our heads from the concept stage is just scrapped in place of one we don't know anything about leaves people a bit agitated.

All we know is Stella is gone for good, and in her place is Luna.

HeelPower

Nothing in XV will be like Nomura wanted or even could do even if he had 20 years of development time.
I hate exaggerations like this.

The relatively underfunded and inexperienced polish team made TW3 possible.It has swimmng,an open world and real action combat.

Nomura's team is far mo
re adept at making action games (easily the most experienced at SE) and they could've made the game they wanted.

Square's upper management was a carastrophe from 2006 tp 2013 and once matsuda saw the versus situation,he saught to shake it up.

That's why we're not getting versus.Not because it was impossible to make.

while i can understand that people are dissapointed and sad by all these changes & the fact that they will never play that game from 9 years ago....they shouldn't blame Tabata for it.
Give Final Fantasy 15 a Chance and see it as a new game. It still sounds promising and great by what we heard so far...Open World, cities, driving with a car, promised a Deep Storyline with man shocking momemts (Thats what Tabata said) and a unique world thats mixing fantasy with reality!

While its not my most wanted game anymore...Im still looking forward to this game

Day1

LowParry

Stella: She was royalty/princess of the kingdom of Tenebrae. She met Noctis at a party. She is eventually forced to fight Noctis due to unknown circumstances.

Luna: She is a noblewoman (Princess? We don't know) from the kingdom of Tenebrae. We don't know how she met Noctis, maybe they are childhood friends. We don't know if she fights Noctis or not.

The differences are so small yet that's it (Bottom line is, we don't know major details between the two. And probably never will)? This is what people are getting upset for? Eeeesh. People should be upset that we have to wait another month for more XV instead of E3. But hey, when that day comes, I guess we'll see people hop on board again. Hell, Kagari. What are you going to do? Keep the avatar? Find something else?

If there is one concept that I could remove from all of Japanese storytelling and Japanese culture entirely, it is this ridiculous "your true friends are the ones from your early childhood" (osana-najimi) nonsense.
Saaaaame here. It's not necessary to have that alllll the time.

He was force off by SE higher ups.
I see. Man sounds like a lot of drama over at SE. Yipes.

I wonder if the Near death experience thing/light of expiring souls aspect is still gonna be in. I remember thinking that sounded cool. NDE is something I hadn't sen in an RPG before. And it was supposed to be a tragedy iirc. I guess we'll see.

Ishida

Banned
The differences are so small yet that's it? This is what people are getting upset for? Eeeesh. People should be upset that we have to wait another month for more XV instead of E3. But hey, when that day comes, I guess we'll see people hop on board again. Hell, Kagari. What are you going to do? Keep the avatar? Find something else?

I know. It's ridiculous. People are already sure that Luna will spend the entire game on a dungeon screaming for help.

Why? Because she does that little "I'm determined!" japanese gesture during a 3 second footage.

That's it.

Bousf

RIP Stella, she's putting me through hell'a right now :(

However I will give their vision of Luna my trust for now. I will actually reserve judgment on EVERY info announced today until the promotion blowout at Gamescom.

What makes me wonder.....will SE hold their own event at Gamescom too? Sony won't be attending......maybe they'll do a theatre presentation for XV?

Oh and the underwater segments talk got me super excited, too bad it most likely won't happen.

Top Bottom