• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stellar Blade has a 9.1 user score on Metacritic (1,000+ ratings)

saintjules

le user score on metacritic is a joke, it used to mean something back before it got popular and trolls started infesting it with their reactionary ratings.

I always said that Metacritic is a flawed system. People would actually look at user ratings and say they wouldn't get a game because someone gave it a 0 for nonsensical reasons? No.

If I were them, I'd make a system to have players upload a screenshot for completing the game. Then the review is pending until it's verified as someone who actually played the game AND completed it.

Last edited:

Mr Moose

"Underrated quite a bit" when the critic rating is 8.2 and user rating is 9.1. Are you kidding?

Also, don't want to take away from the qualities of the game, but Metacritic's user rating is pretty much useless, I could go and submit a 10/10 or 0/10 review right now without ever playing the game.
It's lower than Starfield, ew.

Garibaldi

That's all well and good, but let's go round and round in circles about <insert Stellar Blade issue of the week here> for the next 100 hours.

Jokes aside. Well deserved. I absolutely adore the game. Thoroughly enjoying it.

Meaningless score driven by anti-woke culture warriors that aren’t even playing the game. It’s an absolute great game but let’s not pretend these aren’t the same users giving 0s to whatever they see as the enemy on their holy war.

Metacritic user score is beyond useless.

Posted just before me. I just looked at the reviews and this is absolutely the case.

saintjules

kWjvs7X.jpeg

🤣

Hahaha... A meristation video game analyst didn't know how to give him a score, while I was giving him a lesson and critique of his score... And he got angry and Block me. 😂😂😂.

Nor could they finish Gollum's game.

pathetic. 🥱🥱🥱

Jakk

It's lower than Starfield, ew.
I mean yeah, I agree that Starfield at 83 is a joke, the score is most probably too high because of Xbox-centric review sites giving it free 9s and 10s.

As for Stellar Blade, I just don't see how the difference between user and critic ratings is big when it's just 0.9 of a point. And as many people pointed out, Metacritic user scores are useless, they should verify ownership of the game somehow.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Meaningless score driven by anti-woke culture warriors that aren’t even playing the game. It’s an absolute great game but let’s not pretend these aren’t the same users giving 0s to whatever they see as the enemy on their holy war.

I agree but thankfully we have our own minds and logic to decide ourselves instead of mindlessly following the highest “numbers”.

Zheph

Trying to remember the last big game that came out with no drama surrounding it. Alot of these games had something that caused controversy:

FFVII Rebirth - Visual Issues (soft image)

Spider-Man 2018 - Puddles

Horizon Forbidden West - Aloy's look

Returnal - Price at launch too high

Death Stranding - Walking Simulator complaint

Deathloop - Marketing Campaign overload

TLOU 1 Remake and TLOU 2 Remastered - Controversy that remaster/remakes weren't needed

Callisto Protocol - People comparing to Dead Space but complained about the game having linear melee focused combat

Resident Evil 3 Remake - Nemesis Teeth too ugly

Godfall - Continuous Online connection was required
I would pay triple for Returnal...

tommib

Posted just before me. I just looked at the reviews and this is absolutely the case.
Man, you made me go and read those reviews and it’s the saddest joke. It’s a shame the game was tainted by the unhinged conversation surrounding it.

There’s so many good things about it but it will be remembered by everything except the game itself.

Three

I always said that Metacritic is a flawed system. People would actually look at user ratings and say they wouldn't get a game because someone gave it a 0 for nonsensical reasons? No.

If I were them, I'd make a system to have players upload a screenshot for completing the game. Then the review is pending until it's verified as someone who actually played the game AND completed it.
a screenshot, you can just find one online. Just track completion status as well as hours played on the system.

a screenshot, you can just find one online. Just track completion status as well as hours played on the system.

I don't even need to see a confirmation that they've completed the game, just that they actively own it, which is easy enough to do.

Very interesting to see what motivation there is not to do this. Is it the storefronts or is it metacritic or is it both.

https://www.metacritic.com/game/stellar-blade/

Love to see it. Seems like the press underrated it quite a bit. Game is absolutely fantastic from what I’ve played so far. Extremely polished. Combat and music are god tier. Feels like an old school video game in the best way possible.
The press underrated it because they wanted to keep with the woke status quo hating on this game. Glad to see it doing so well and did my part buying it physically. Cant wait for the sequel.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future

Yeah there are even 0's because of the 'censorship' and then 10's to help fight the 'censorship'.
User reviews are mainly a barometer of the culture war than anything to do with the quality of the games.

Three

I don't even need to see a confirmation that they've completed the game, just that they actively own it, which is easy enough to do.

Very interesting to see what motivation there is not to do this. Is it the storefronts or is it metacritic or is it both.
If sites like PS trophies wanted they could create a more reliable user rating system to eat into metacritic without storefront backing. Not sure why the actual storefronts don't try and set one up themselves though. The only one who really has is steam.

Last edited:
I mean yeah, I agree that Starfield at 83 is a joke, the score is most probably too high because of Xbox-centric review sites giving it free 9s and 10s.

As for Stellar Blade, I just don't see how the difference between user and critic ratings is big when it's just 0.9 of a point. And as many people pointed out, Metacritic user scores are useless, they should verify ownership of the game somehow.
I think 83 is probably fair for Starfield. If a random studio just released Starfield, a lot more people would be praising it. But because Bethesda and Todd Howard hyped the game up for years, everybody expected it to be GOTG type game, and it just wasn't. It's like if GTA 6 comes out and it gets a 90 metacritic, everybody would be absolutely pissed at what Rockstar did to get such a "low score"

Last edited:

night13x

lol ... was reading through the 0 and 1 reviews.

"GAME IS CENSORED NOT WHAT IS PROMISED OMG GAME IS HORRIBLE UNPLAYABLE WITH THE CENSORED PATCH".

so changing the word "hard" to "crime" due to a possible unintentional racial slur and a small change to one outfit = unplayable game?

A LOT of costumes were left untouched that I am actually surprised Sony never went aftert them. I really dont get the censored = unplayable coorelation.

Anyways - im fucking around in the wastelands. Game is so much fun.

Zheph

lol ... was reading through the 0 and 1 reviews.

"GAME IS CENSORED NOT WHAT IS PROMISED OMG GAME IS HORRIBLE UNPLAYABLE WITH THE CENSORED PATCH".

so changing the word "hard" to "crime" due to a possible unintentional racial slur and a small change to one outfit = unplayable game?

A LOT of costumes were left untouched that I am actually surprised Sony never went aftert them. I really dont get the censored = unplayable coorelation.

Anyways - im fucking around in the wastelands. Game is so much fun.
as bad if not worst than the other side of the coin.

Game is a lot of fun indeed

Vyse

Gold Member
I was out of town this weekend. Can’t wait to fire this up after work. I’ve been spreading the word to my gamer friends. Funny some have not heard of this yet.

Last edited:

Sethbacca

Company employees who's company bases bonuses on said reviews.
Sounds like a problem with the company moreso than the reviewers. Imagine having your pay being based on something completely subjective like a review score. You'd have to be an idiot to setup a company like that rather than simply basing it on total sales.

mitch1971

Sounds like a problem with the company moreso than the reviewers. Imagine having your pay being based on something completely subjective like a review score. You'd have to be an idiot to setup a company like that rather than simply basing it on total sales.
Who's more the idiot, the guy who made the company but still gets paid his bonus regardless, or the employees who have to work there with a risk of no bonus based on reviews?

Last edited:
Imagine that - appeal to the male gamer and it turns out there's money and acclaim in them hills.

Let's hope it's another important step towards dewokefying the gaming industry.

Sethbacca

Who's more the idiot, the guy who made the company but still gets paid his bonus regardless, or the employees who have to work there with a risk of no bonus based on reviews?
Yeah, that's what I'm saying. If you let yourself be put in a situation where your compensation is based on reviews which we've all seen get completely fucked by stupid corporate reviewers and bandwagoning idiots then it's a you problem if you're not getting your bonus. It's good for the company, not at all for the employee. A game with mid reviews that sells a shit ton of units just means more money in the company's pockets, so there's absolutely no incentive for these companies to counter any controversy surrounding any of these games that may impact reviews to begin with unless that controversy is that the game is a steaming pile. It won't change unless people refuse to work for these pubs. I kind of fucked my wording on my previous post that you reponded to so that's on me.

Last edited:

JohnnyPhats

it’s funny watching this crap on the reeee shit board. Basically, I CANNOT BELIEVE THIS EXISTS. THIS IS SO SHAMEFUL. Next paragraph, “So, I’m at the end game….”

It’s like they’re excusing THEMSELVES for having it on their game history.

Last edited:

Zheph

it’s funny watching this crap on the reeee shit board. Basically, I CANNOT BELIEVE THIS EXISTS. THIS IS SO SHAMEFUL. Next paragraph, “So, I’m at the end game….”

It’s like they’re excusing THEMSELVES for having it on their game history.
Yeah I am really surprised by how shallow many are acting. At least that Planet Smasher doomer stayed true to his words

Crayon

Meh I don't like choosing meta score or user score depending on what's more favorable. Both are... Inconsistent.

But the game is excellent. Not super brilliant but very good, combined with being a breath of fresh air being a bit of a throwback. If you dig into lesser known Japanese arpg's then that's not that uncommon but those tend to be real hard anime so kind of a turn off for many, including me. This is more dark sci Fi so more approachable.

Overall I give it 4/5 on the best scale, the next generation magazine five star.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
It actually looks reverse review bombed.. these people are sad...
Is it really so strange to cheerish and maybe defend the one game that breaks the usual expected woke ?
And even all that aside, it's just a good game that does some unique things

ToneyJ

Game is legitimately great. Feels like it's own game, even if it has some obvious influences. Complete breath of fresh air in Sony's otherwise samey, cinematic game lineup.

Last edited:

Fredrik

Meh I don't like choosing meta score or user score depending on what's more favorable. Both are... Inconsistent.

But the game is excellent. Not super brilliant but very good, combined with being a breath of fresh air being a bit of a throwback. If you dig into lesser known Japanese arpg's then that's not that uncommon but those tend to be real hard anime so kind of a turn off for many, including me. This is more dark sci Fi so more approachable.

Overall I give it 4/5 on the best scale, the next generation magazine five star.
Yeah I just trust myself these days, going by the demo it’s a 4/5 and I hear trey’ve reduced the latency so could be better now.
Right now I just want them to announce the PC version, don’t want to buy on PS5.

Last edited:

GymWolf

User score is as much as a useless metric as the metacritic from modern journalists.

Just watch some gameplay and decide by yourself.

Last edited:

wvnative

To everyone enjoying it: besides titties, what are you guys liking about it?

When I played the demo, the controls felt really clumsy and unresponsive, which completely turned me off of the game. I thought the game looked cool and watching the reviews, it really looks awesome. But I hated the demo.

Am I missing something with the game?

tommib

When I played the demo, the controls felt really clumsy and unresponsive, which completely turned me off of the game. I thought the game looked cool and watching the reviews, it really looks awesome. But I hated the demo.

If you don’t like the demo you won’t like the game.

Unlocking abilities make parrying and dodging easier. It’s not unresponsive it just has its own combo cadence.

phant0m

The devs had a day one patch that addressed some of the control responsiveness. It’s also important to set expectations— it’s not a fast super fluid combo game like DMC or Bayonetta.

It kind of rides the line between those types of games and souls-like combat, you will get punished for button mashing and not reading enemies (albeit not as harshly as in Souls games). It most similarly plays like MGR: Revengance with its strong parry mechanics imo.

Last edited:

ssringo

I bounced off the demo the first time. Gave it another chance and stuck with it long enough for combat to click (unlocking easier parry/dodge windows is huge). I love it now; more than Sekiro which is probably the closest comparison for general combat.

R6Rider

Gold Member

Combat is flashy, easy, and just fun. Exploration is fun and rewarding. Story is actually interesting and I want to find out what happens. The soundtrack is amazing.

If you didn't like the demo then I wouldn't recommend the full game now. Better off to wait or rent.

Last edited:

wvnative

The devs had a day one patch that addressed some of the control responsiveness. It’s also important to set expectations— it’s not a fast super fluid combo game like DMC or Bayonetta.

It kind of rides the line between those types of games and souls-like combat, you will get punished for button mashing and not reading enemies (albeit not as harshly as in Souls games). It most similarly plays like MGR: Revengance with its strong parry mechanics imo.

Did they by any chance patch the demo?

I'm not a huge souls fan, but I got through stranger of paradise alright, i don't mind slow combat, but even for slow games, stellar blade just felt really off to me.

phant0m

Did they by any chance patch the demo?

I'm not a huge souls fan, but I got through stranger of paradise alright, i don't mind slow combat, but even for slow games, stellar blade just felt really off to me.

I don’t believe so? Also what mode did you play in? Quality/resolution mode is 30 fps and really doesn’t feel good to play (imo). Performance is a locked 60.

Top Bottom