• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stellaris - Paradox Dev Studios new sci-fi grand strategy game

bjaelke

So will you guys be up to play mp? We could go ahead and make big 32 player games lol.

Yeah we've already talked about doing some mp after we've had our hands on the game for a bit. Need to get the basics down before purging you lot.

Some of the guys in the EUIV MP thread are also up for it.

Impulsor

Yeah we've already talked about doing some mp after we've had our hands on the game for a bit. Need to get the basics down before purging you lot.

Some of the guys in the EUIV MP thread are also up for it.
Sure, I need to learn thebasics too.

After that I'm enslaving you all. :D

CloudWolf

Ahh ok, so can anyone continue the saved game with AI taking over the missing players or does the host always need to be online?

Yeah, anyone can continue. Though as with all Paradox games, it's probably not ideal to let the AI take over, they have a tendency to destroy plans.

Also the thing with CK2 is that it is one of the few games where you can create threads with titles like 'I just got a child with my kid, but I want to kill it and marry her to my brother' without getting the police after you

"I need to kill my husband because he won't divorce me and then get a matrilineal marriage with someone else instead, get some new kids and then either kill all my older children from my previous marriage or change the realms inheritance laws because I want my shit to stay in the family when I die"

So will you guys be up to play mp? We could go ahead and make big 32 player games lol.
I always wanted to join one of those EU IV games, but don't really have set times to play one. Maybe I'll give it a shot this time. It is looking like a very nice game to play multiplayer.

Lister

Banned
So which edition did you you guys buy? I'm wondering if I should just go for the Galaxy Edition.

I got the Nova edition which looks like the sweet spot for value. You get the extra portrait and the soundtrack. Galaxy seems like a big step up in price for a digital art book and novel that might or might not be good.

If I hear good things about the novel I'll pick it up separately.

bjaelke

Locking save game to host is also an option in Stellaris. One of the lets play videos went through all the mp settings.

Lyonaz

I went for the nova edition. Wanted the Exclusive Race, don't care for anything extra incldued in the Galaxy edition though.

I got the Nova edition which looks like the sweet spot for value. You get the extra portrait and the soundtrack. Galaxy seems like a big step up in price for a digital art book and novel that might or might not be good.

If I hear good things about the novel I'll pick it up separately.

Ah you guys are correct, Nova Edition seems the better option. Soundtrack is the only thing I really want extra. Will order that one now.

Slayven

So which edition did you you guys buy? I'm wondering if I should just go for the Galaxy Edition.

Nova, the extra stuff in the galaxy version didn't appeal to me. With the green Man gaming coupon it came out 2 dollars cheaper than the base edition.

Nova edition because I want the soundtrack and the additional portraits. Kinda want the ebook from the galaxy edition but I decided to wait and possibly buy it separately later after reading some reviews.

Brohan

I'm probably going to play this game even though i have never played a grand strategy game before but once i get the hang of it i would really like multiplayer matches with such a big amount of players.

bjaelke

Making the galaxy small and reducing the amount of AI would probably shorten the game length.
You can also increase game speed. Not that I'd recommend it with 32ish players.
So does anyone have a direct link to this stream for today?

Is it behind a GB membership paywall?

Don't have a link but on their website it is listed as upcoming without a premium sticker on it.

BjTZNJM.png

I really do hope they add the ability to cybernetically enhance your species at some point. Kinda like genetic modifications which are already in, but with some different events and consequences associated with it, like really pissing of all the spiritualist pops in the galaxy.

Don't discriminate: Hugh just wanted to be friends.

Impulsor

I'm going to play this at a glorious 3440x1440 resolution. I love playing these games with so many menus in utlra wide screen resolutions.

I still can't beleive I did not know anything about this game until yesterday.

I'm going to play this at a glorious 3440x1440 resolution. I love playing these games with so many menus in utlra wide screen resolutions.

I still can't beleive I did not know anything about this game until yesterday.

I'm really happy with how supportive Paradox is in regards to ultra wide resolutions, especially because I feel like strategy games really benefit from it.
They are true bros.

Some devs are still ignoring them in 2016.

btw, Daniel (from HOI4 streams) stream from yesterday was pretty cool. He had the volume up pretty high so you get to appreciate the ost and I like that he doesn't pause to explain every little thing after watching some of the other streams.
https://www.twitch.tv/theda9l/v/64646195

Arulan

I'm sitting in the airport, about to go off on a trip for a little over two weeks, and I can't stop thinking about this game. I got into Paradox's grand strategy games somewhat late, EUIV specifically, but in addition to furthering my Castile game, I look forward to playing a lot of Stellaris and Hearts of Iron IV this year. At some point I want to try and get in a GAF MP game.

D

Deleted member 286591

Unconfirmed Member
Guys, I'm torn. This game seems amazing but it's scaring me. I'm afraid to buy it, really want to play it but never find the time / motivation to get on with it.

Can you just start a save and play it bit by bit here and there ? I'm not an expert in the genre, last game I played which is a bit comparable was Endless Space, not sure how it compares.

Lister

Banned
You know, now that the game is out in the wild for some at least, anyone hear any udpates on fon/uit scalability? That was a real problem for CKII on my 1440p monitor.

Lister

Banned
Guys, I'm torn. This game seems amazing but it's scaring me. I'm afraid to buy it, really want to play it but never find the time / motivation to get on with it.

Can you just start a save and play it bit by bit here and there ? I'm not an expert in the genre, last game I played which is a bit comparable was Endless Space, not sure how it compares.

You definitely can. You should be abel to manage a pace similar to what you could do in endless space.

Obviously too much time between play sessions might mean you have to sit there figuring out what you were planning on doing and getting re-acquainted with your empire.

Fishook

Finally pre-ordered my copy. Looking forward to playing my first Paradox GSG. It look like it's going to be more forgiving for newer players.

Which is good for me.

Orgun

Man Austin Walkers Stellaris story on the beastcast is pretty great.
Gerrymandering a sub-species via sector manipulation so they have less voting power and are less of a burden on your empire is fuuuucking evil.
Love it

Then the game is bought. The Nova edition has the best bang for buck and for 25% less it is a no brainer.

Haven't played much Grand strategies, but dabbled in civ5 and beyond earth. The thing I look forward to the most is the stories the game will present and build around me as a player.

Steel

Banned
I just don't see how Star Wars or BSG will transfer well... Not to say people won't make those mods, but I think Star Trek is the obvious choice given the state building that we see from Enterprise through to DS9.

I could see Mass effect transferring well. Or even the mechwarrior universe would be pretty nice.

I always wanted to join one of those EU IV games, but don't really have set times to play one. Maybe I'll give it a shot this time. It is looking like a very nice game to play multiplayer.

The scheduling behind them is once a week for like 1.5 hrs so it seems doable.

So, does any one know anything about how slavery tolerance works in general? I know that a fanatic collectivist with Divine Mandate can get 150% slavery tolerance, but I've seen some people say that you get no benefit after going over 100%, but no ones giving any kind of source for it. :[

Chariot

So, does any one know anything about how slavery tolerance works in general? I know that a fanatic collectivist with Divine Mandate can get 150% slavery tolerance, but I've seen some people say that you get no benefit after going over 100%, but no ones giving any kind of source for it. :[
On mobile can't give skurce either, but some youtuber with access stated that. It helps when there are modifiers that work against slavery tolerance, but otherwise it's wasted. Which makes sense. You can't more than fully agree with slavery.

a3den

That's the classic paradox multiplier style. If your pop is 0%to begin with it doesn't matter because you're at >100% tolerance and thus get no negative happiness. But it can matter if you pick an ethos that adds a negative to slavery tolerance (like individualistic -50%) so you can still enslave people and not get a big happiness debuff.

(edit : beated by chariot)

DBT85

Just the standard edition from cdkeys. No interest in other stuff.

The only special edition I ever bought was the Homeworld Remastered one.

Nzyme32

Refunded the Nova Edition to go Galaxy. It's the first time I've bought a collectors edition at launch of anything in 7 or so years. Basically, I'm interested in the Novel, will likely go through the Collectors Book at some point later and the soundtrack is a must for me. I feel fairly confident in the quality of the game, but thankfully refunds are always possible should I be extremely displeased, which seems unlikely. It's also when of the rare occasions where I pre-order at all.

Top Bottom