• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stephen King's IT |OT| He thrusts his fists and then he posts (Unmarked spoilers)

I've mentioned this before but I'm still cracking up over the line "Derry used to be a beaver trapping town"

"Still is, am I right?" Unreturned high five.

Richie had all the best parts, aside from the Georgia scene.

"ROCK WAR!" and then immediately gets taken out.

The Beaver scene.

Eddie's mom asking for a final hug or kiss and Eddie refusing, then Richie offering one.

Just highlight after highlight. Finn Wolfhard is such a good actor. Hope he keeps it up.

Neece

In the book (and mini-series),
It's victims weren't all considered "missing". He left a LOT of bodies out in the open for the police to find. Georgie wasn't taken, either. His arm was ripped off and eaten by It (from the descriptions in the book, It rarely fully consumed bodies, and just ate "pieces" out of It's victims), but Georgie's body was found by the grate and eventually buried by his family. Both novel and mini-series gives Bill's reason to find and kill It being revenge, while in this movie, it is hope that Georgie is still alive, somewhere.

But yeah, because there were bodies of dead kids being found around Derry, that is why Henry was convicted. The police didn't actually go under the city into the sewers to recover whatever pieces or full bodies It took into it's lair. Patrick Hockstetter, Victor Criss and Belch Huggins' remains were all still in the sewer by the time the adult Losers returned.

And yeah, "Beep beep Richie" WAS in the mini-series... a lot.

The fact that they changed this leaves me really puzzled why they decided to turn Bev into a damsel. All of the motivations to enter the sewer were already there, especially since they had a scene of Bill's dad and his friends telling him to accept that his brother was dead. His friends being willing to go with him, or more specifically, not being willing to let him go by himself would have really worked. They didn't need to make it a mission to save Beverly.

Shauni

Could Georgie had survived if IT just ate his arm? Ugh I know people said it wasn't a graphic scene but the innocence of a child being so brutally killed :(

From the sudden trauma and quick blood loss it'd be pretty doubtful with no one immediately around to tend to the wound

goonie

I wasn't too bothered that Bev was taken at the end. To me, it felt different than a typical damsel in distress scenario, because she was very obviously the strongest in the group. Even when it was just Pennywise and her in the sewer, she still wasn't scared. It had to resort to deadlighting her to use against the boys. I get that it turned into a rescue mission, but I don't feel like it took strength away from Bev's character.

Probably would've worked better if they just didn't do all that, though. :p

Really curious to see how they handle part 2. The kids held this one together, so obviously the tone will have to change drastically. I can imagine it being much worse, but it could be awesome if they got really creative with it. Shame it's probably 2-3 years out. Should've started when it was clear part 1 would be a hit.

My only real idea/hope for part 2 is for them to do a cold open with a
flashback to the Axe murders in the bar

A couple of smaller things I'd wish they'd done differently:

I wished Bowers was established more. He was kinda just a generic dick instead of the dog-killing, murderous, psychotic, racist he was in the books.
Slashing an H into Ben's stomach is just generic dick stuff? Wanting to shoot the cat with his friend holding it? That wasn't psychotic enough for you?

The gazebos line is objectively the best line in the film.
Yes. I lose it everytime.

I also didn't realize until 2nd viewing that his mother knows about Pennywise/the evil of Derry, and that is why she is so protective of Eddie.

And I finally caught the creep librarian stare. On my drive home at 10 at night, alone in my car in the country, I thought about that stare. It scared the bejesus out of me. I had to turn my car lights on inside for a minute.

Easter egg:
Is the cat that is constantly seen through the movie a reference to the same cat from Cat's Eye? It looks like the same breed as that one.

I just checked out the Cary Fukanaga script and apparently Ben was the historian instead of Mike as well.

So I guess that was a holdover for the final film.

Slashing an H into Ben's stomach is just generic dick stuff? Wanting to shoot the cat with his friend holding it? That wasn't psychotic enough for you?

Not to mention him telling Mike that he was sad every time he drove by the house that burned down with Mike's parents inside. Sad that he didn't do it himself. I mean how more racist can you be without him calling Mike the N word? Also him telling Mike to stay out of his town. I think they portrayed his character pretty well. My date thought he was a pretty extreme bully and I agree.

Turin

Banned
Richie fucking with that band player was my favorite Richie moment.

Given how much more prolific the psychological torment is, would Pennywise fit the description of cosmic horror entity?

If I'm not mistaken,
it was Pennywise that entire scene when they conversed up until he came across the real librarian at the end of chase sequence
, right?

I think there'd be more giveaways if the librarian was actually Pennywise. She seemed too normal. Also, I haven't read the source material but it doesn't seem like he'd put himself out there like that.

My guess is the director's sole purpose of what he did with the librarian was to induce subconscious discomfort in the viewer. Or, as mentioned before, it's really just repurposed footage from an alternate scene.

Thinking about Bev finding the New Kids on the Block poster still cracks me up.

She was so merciful about it. lol

DaRealMVP

Neo Member
The movie was dope as hell but I thought there was a bit of an over reliance on jump scares. However they are pretty well set up for the most part so I forgive it.

It just caught me off guard because I saw people mention that there weren't many jump scares in the movie.

zeemumu

Do any of the kids say beep beep to Richie or is it just Pennywise in the movie? I can't remember?

It's just Pennywise. The kids just tell him to shut up

I have to ask...that woman in the painting...was that...

latest

I personally saw the beep beep Richie as a reference to his alarm/watch letting him know to take his pills. Never knew about the book reference until this thread.

Just got back.

Why was it the Bev's father couldn't see the blood?

Why were the missing kids floating? Were they all not afraid of him? Were they alive?

If so, where was Georgie?

DeathyBoy

Banned
The movie really did a bad job with that aspect. It's as important to the story as Pennywise or the Loser's Club but the little hints they have aren't enough and the town is too nice 80s Spielbergian without peeling that facade back

Uh, no. It's screamed at us.

The woman who sees a kid staring into a sewer grate and goes inside. The couple who see Mike being terrorised and drive on. The curfew sign. The fact that the streets are completely empty. The friggin random drug store guy who eyes up Bev.

Then there's the parents.

It's a fucked up town from the start.

Neece

Uh, no. It's screamed at us.

The woman who sees a kid staring into a sewer grate and goes inside. The couple who see Mike being terrorised and drive on. The curfew sign. The fact that the streets are completely empty. The friggin random drug store guy who eyes up Bev.

Then there's the parents.

It's a fucked up town from the start.

I think for people that understand the books, it's "screamed" but for those that are just judging the movie on its own, the hints are not blatant enough to fill in the gaps that it's not just IT, it's Derry itself. Particularly with the bullies. I've read too many instances of people having to explain "how it is in the books" to properly paint the picture of the town and the influence IT has over every part of it.

DeathyBoy

Banned
I think for people that understand the books, it's "screamed" but for those that are just judging the movie on its own, the hints are not blatant enough to fill in the gaps that it's not just IT, it's Derry itself. Particularly with the bullies. I've read too many instances of people having to explain "how it is in the books" to explain it to people.

I just don't see how you can watch a clear visual beat like a woman turning her back on a kid staring into a sewer grate and go "the town folk are Spielberg-esque."

That shit was, for me, one of the most fucked up things in the film.

I just don't see how you can watch a clear visual beat like a woman turning her back on a kid staring into a sewer grate

Yeah and even if you think, well she just thinks "it's a kid being a kid", when she comes back and he is gone, replaced by a puddle of blood and she does nothing...you know this place is kinda fucked up.

The movie was dope as hell but I thought there was a bit of an over reliance on jump scares. However they are pretty well set up for the most part so I forgive it.

It just caught me off guard because I saw people mention that there weren't many jump scares in the movie.

There were only 3 in the entire movie. And one didn't really hit like one.
Bev getting captured.

The movie didn't rely on jump scares, and the ones that were there feel pretty weak. Like some producer demanded there be at least a couple.

Are we expecting an extended cut down the line? The fact that two of Bower's friends just disappear from the plot feels really weird since in both other formats they get killed.

Richie was obnoxiously masculine. Probably the worst of the movie.

Movie was meh. It was toned down, it wasn't scary at all. His cosmological terror background totally dismissed.

The TV movie remains superior and KINO. This one was a good flick, but nothing more. Hollywood really gentrifies and ruins everything it touches.

Shauni

Richie was obnoxiously masculine. Probably the worst of the movie.

Movie was meh. It was toned down, it wasn't scary at all. His cosmological terror background totally dismissed.

The TV movie remains superior and KINO. This one was a good flick, but nothing more. Hollywood really gentrifies and ruins everything it touches.

KINO?

Rolfgang

Are we expecting an extended cut down the line? The fact that two of Bower's friends just disappear from the plot feels really weird since in both other formats they get killed.

Personally I assumed Bower killed them right before or after killing his dad. They were right outside.

Rolfgang

I watched it last night and Bev and Bill are the only name I caught during the film. No idea who anyone else was

Richie is the one-liner machine, Stan is the Jewish kid, Eddie is the hypochondriac, Ben is the librarian and Mike is the Sheep Shooter.

They've changed his character, at least in this one. They gave him Mike's role being the town historian (even though Ben is the new kid who just moved there).

Oh, I see. That's ok. :D The potential for the adult part of the story really goes both ways, judging from the book – personally I love the parts where they're grown up and have to deal with their own horrors that kind of resemble their childhood. I hope the producers are making the right decisions.

Top Bottom