• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steven S. DeKnight To Direct ‘Pacific Rim 2’

Status
Not open for further replies.

inky

Del Toro literally EXISTS to do this exact thing

How many times has he backed out of something/had shit get canned after being super gung-ho on it

DON'T TRUST EM

And what I'm saying is, how many times it has been because he backed out? He only backed out from The Hobbit and JLD, and he backed out from Justice League Dark BECAUSE it would coincide with the shooting of Pacific Rim 2, which then Legendary put on hold, not him. You make it sound like he props things up, gets productions going, then decides to step out voluntarily to do something else.

Every other case it's the studio saying one thing and doing another.

Jarmel

Banned
Is he though? Based on what? The best we can say is that it's an interesting choice, but TV showrunners making their feature directorial debuts with franchise sequels is kinda hit or miss.

The track record for directors stepping up from TV series to blockbuster movies isn't exactly inspiring.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Ya'll need to watch Spartacus(get past the 1st episode) and hold onto your asses cause Pacific Rim 2 will make you say "gratitude" as it takes cock and rams it up ass.

Sulik2

The track record for directors stepping up from TV series to blockbuster movies isn't exactly inspiring.

The Russos are now in control of the Marvel film universe after filming a TV paintball fight. Daredevil had fantastic action there is no reason to think DeKnight can't make a good movie.

duckroll

Ya'll need to watch Spartacus(get past the 1st episode) and hold onto your asses cause Pacific Rim 2 will make you say "gratitude" as it takes cock and rams it up ass.

DeKnight did not direct a single episode of Spartacus though. He was the showrunner.

The Russos are now in control of the Marvel film universe after filming a TV paintball fight. Daredevil had fantastic action there is no reason to think DeKnight can't make a good movie.

The only episode of Daredevil DeKnight directed was the finale. The Russos had way more directing experience before they joined Marvel. They also directed You, Me, and Dupree. so Winter Soldier wasn't even their film directorial debut! :p

Jarmel

Banned

The Russos still had two films under their belt and a shitload more directing experience than DeKnight.

Also for every Russo there is an Alan Taylor.

jackdoe

The messiest episode of Dardevil was the only episode directed by DeKnight, so I'm not even close to 100% convinced that he'll do a good job. Still, it's better than the whole Roberto Orci Star Trek situation. Don't even know what Paramount was thinking with that one.

duckroll

The messiest episode of Dardevil was the only episode directed by DeKnight, so I'm not even close to 100% convinced that he'll do a good job. Still, it's better than the whole Roberto Orci Star Trek situation. Don't even know what Paramount was thinking with that one.

To their credit, they didn't go through with it. :p

JSevere

the Spartacus/Daredevil guy? interesting pick

sounds like Del Toro is still involved in some capacity so bring it on

duckroll

Abhorrent? Really? It was inoffensive. Cookie cutter. But abhorrent? The scripts for the Transformers movies are abhorrent.

I love Michael Bay, but are you sure the Transformers movies even have scripts aside from the first one?

If Kojima were directing it, we'd get a bunch of ass and boob shots of Rinko Kikuchi.

That would require her to have ass and boobs first. :p

jackdoe

I love Michael Bay, but are you sure the Transformers movies even have scripts aside from the first one?
Well, the third one does. I think. I know that the second one had an outline and Michael Bay filled in the gaps with stuff from the dark recesses of his brain.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
The only episode of Daredevil DeKnight directed was the finale. The Russos had way more directing experience before they joined Marvel. They also directed You, Me, and Dupree. so Winter Soldier wasn't even their film directorial debut! :p
Winter Soldier was in fact their 4th feature film, and they'd done roughly 40 episodes of TV before that movie.

Spaihts? I literally just checked to make sure we were talking about the same scriptwriter.

Did you read the Alien screenplay before Scott & Lindelof had their way with it?

It was a solid script.

Passengers was one of the most praised scripts on the blacklist for awhile, too.

People should know better by now than to simply look at a credit block and assume everything that wound up in the final movie was present in the screenplay.

jackdoe

Not like what? Not like getting made? Not like having a decent-ish director and a good screenwriter working on it?
Decent-ish director? Steven S. Deknight's body of work as a director isn't exactly the most reassuring. We're talking episodes of of B-TV stuff like Smallville, Angel, and Dollhouse, and the least visually coherent episode of Daredevil Season 1.

royalan

LOVED Spartacus, specifically because it balanced well-shot and gratuitous action scenes with telling great character stories.

Excited for this.

duckroll

The "current script" is written by Spaihts, but there's no real indication that they're going to stick with it. DeKnight is more of a writer than a director, so I would be very surprised if he doesn't do his own rewrite or even a brand new script before shooting. If this even makes it to shooting that is. Lol.

Jarmel

Banned
Did you read the Alien screenplay before Scott & Lindelof had their way with it?

It was a solid script.

Passengers was one of the most praised scripts on the blacklist for awhile, too.

People should know better by now than to simply look at a credit block and assume everything that wound up in the final movie was present in the screenplay.

I'm aware of how fucked up the Prometheus debacle thing is and I'm not blaming him for it. I've read a chunk of the Alien:Engineers script and it was fine (maybe not great but whatever). That said, he has only two writing credits, Prometheus and The Darkest Hour. I haven't seen The Darkest Hour but I have a feeling it's probably not very good.

It's not what I would call a solid background of work.

You might want to get checked out. :p

Should I mention his Writer awards? Including an Oscar nomination and several Saturn's.

I mean, should I mention every English-language movie he's ever made where the writing is terrible? His Oscar nomination was for a movie written in Spanish. I know you're not going to tell me that Del Toro's script made Pacific Rim what it was.

dcelw540

I'm conflicted by like 60% sure he might do hellboy 3, all signs are leading up to it! Last comic con when he was promoting crimson peak someone said something about hellboy 3 coming out and he smiled and didn't say. Boys and girls hopefully!

Arondight

:( First time hearing this. I can't even think of a single HBO show left that I enjoy but this would have skyrocket my interests.

Yeah, I'm also mixed about this news. On one hand, it's Pacific Rim but on the other hand, one of the reasons I love the film is because of Del toro and his inspirations and ideas poured into it. Not sure if having a different director is going to feel the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom