• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steven S. DeKnight To Direct ‘Pacific Rim 2’

Status
Not open for further replies.

AllenShrz

That would require her to have ass and boobs first. :p

UD5oBoL8PanoQ.gif

Joni

Great to see him get a chance at something bigger. Too bad it means we'll never ever get his Incursion this way.

near

Gold Member
...the fuck? I went from really wanting this to I really don't care any more. S. DeKnight? ...the fuck?!

UrbanRats

Honestly the best asset of PR, was the colorful and "different" visual design.
As long as they don't tone that down, it'll probably be fine.
Also, don't find an excuse to try and set it in the US.

Honestly the best asset of PR, was the colorful and "different" visual design.
As long as they don't tone that down, it'll probably be fine.
Also, don't find an excuse to try and set it in the US.

they should set it in dubai tbh. i like the architecture and I want to see a giant mech surf a sand dune on top of a portion of a skyscraper.

What!!! Pans Labyrinth's existence tells me you are somehow incapable of rational judgement if you have seen that film and believe this.

Pacific Rim 2 isn't going to be written in Spanish, though, is it? I can't believe I'm getting so much shit for implying that the writer of Hellboy, Hellboy 2, Pacific Rim and The Strain isn't a master fucking scribe.

Pacific Rim 2 isn't going to be written in Spanish, though, is it? I can't believe I'm getting so much shit for implying that the writer of Hellboy, Hellboy 2, Pacific Rim and The Strain isn't a master fucking scribe.

he sucks ass when he makes english stuff tbh. i'm with you on that. his spanish language films were pretty decent though.

and i'll say he has impeccable production design in all of his films. that's probably the only constant in quality that you'll find in his filmography. man works better on a conceptual level.

duckroll

he sucks ass when he makes english films tbh. i'm with you on that. his spanish language films were pretty decent though.

and i'll say he has impeccable production design in all of his films. that's probably the only constant in quality that you'll find in his filmography. man works better on a conceptual level.

Visual design, audio design, and story themes are universal regardless of language barriers. Being able to give good direction, write sharp dialogue, and communicate what you want to someone else are things which can be a lot more challenging with language barriers. I think Del Toro's passion carries him a long way, but it's clear he is in his element the most as a writer-director when working in his native language.

UrbanRats

Devil's backbone was in Spanish though, and that one wasn't that good at all.

I liked Pacific Rim, but the only DelToro films I'd call more than pretty good, are Pan's Labyrinth and Chronos.
I haven't seen them all, but a good chunk of his filmography.

Cikay

So disappointed. DeKnight is not a bad director, but he's not Del Toro. I don't know if he'll be able to make a film as visually stunning as the first one.

So disappointed. DeKnight is not a bad director, but he's not Del Toro. I don't know if he'll be able to make a film as visually stunning as the first one.

Spartacus had its moment. I'm willing to see where this goes, DeKnight will surprise a lot of people I think.

DiscoJer

This is probably asking too much, but it would be nice to have some fights that aren't underwater or at night when it's raining.

All I wanted out of the first movie was good kaiju fights and they were hard to see because of the constant water effects (either under the water or rain) and lack of decent lighting.

Wait, is this film back on then? Like, really, as in it's really really going ahead?!

Although without del Toro on board I'm not sure I really care.

Del Toro's strengths are not in directing and especially not in writing, so I'm fine with this.

I would argue his strengths are in visual design and directing. I don't see how you can say he's not a good director when he has the likes of The Devil's Backbone, Pan's Labyrinth and Hellboy 1/2 to his name.

Wuiji

ku-xlarge.gif

I don't care who is directing it, or who is writing it as long as Stacker Pentecost has a long lost twin brother.

Nibel

At first I wasn't sure what to feel since I always felt like Del Torro and Pacific Rim together, and I wasn't so hot on the last episode of Daredevil, but Spartacus has the kind of intensity and direction that kinda fits with Pacific Rim. I think the director is more than solid and good enough to do the job.

What has to improve though is the writing; Pacific Rim 2 - in my opinion - needs to be tighter and better paced than the first one. I can live with cliche dialogue and shit if the movie just flows much better than the first one without much exposition and shit.

Tactics18

So now that they are moving ahead with this, are we going to get Godzilla vs Kong vs Jaegers?
All of them are being done by Legendary I'm pretty sure.
Considering that they're already doing Godzilla/Kong it'd be stupid not to throw PR in the mix I think.

Busty

Banned
So..., it appears that Del Toro has completely been left out in the cold on this one, they aren't even using his original sequel script if I'm reading Deadline correctly. I'm assuming that this is going to be a lower budget (compared to the first one) sequel that will effectively reboot the set up of the first film.

It'll be interesting to see just how quickly this all came together after the Wanda sale. And what would a 'China centric' Pacific Rim sequel directed by Mr DeKnight even look like?

It's telling that there isn't a production start date or estimated release date for this given how closely Legendary came to actually giving Del Toro the reins on a sequel before cancelling it.

I want to know if this is GDT's idea or the studio.

Seems weird of Legendary to fire FDT.

I imagine he became committed to something else while the project was temporarily cancelled. He has been tweeting about it, so I imagine he's still on board but whether it's a consultancy role or as a producer, who knows.

Gastone

Although i would have prefered to have Del Toro direct this, i'm still happy this is getting made. I absolutely loved Pacific Rim (and my friends think i'm an idiot for it).

Busty

Banned
I imagine he became committed to something else while the project was temporarily cancelled. He has been tweeting about it, so I imagine he's still on board but whether it's a consultancy role or as a producer, who knows.

I imagine that he's been 'grandfathered' into an Executive Producer role but given the poor performance of Crimson Peak (and the original PR to an extent) I've not doubt that Legendary made the decision to push him aside.

It speaks volumes that Del Toro's next film is a lower budget fantasy at Fox Searchlight.

jett

D-Member
What a strange choice.

Then again, how hard can it be to direct a collection of Chinese product placement.

I imagine that he's been 'grandfathered' into an Executive Producer role but given the poor performance of Crimson Peak (and the original PR to an extent) I've not doubt that Legendary made the decision to push him aside.

It speaks volumes that Del Toro's next film is a lower budget fantasy at Fox Searchlight.

That seems like a fair expectation; I had forgotten about Crimson Peak, and that it was a box office failure. Still need to see that film, but I was mislead by the marketing into expecting a horror film, and then mostly lost interest when I read that it was actually more of a Gothic romance with moments of mild horror.

Halcyon

I'm in the minority of GAF that thought Pacific Rim was pretty bad to the point where I almost walked out of the theater. Maybe new director will do something I find enjoyable with it.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
I thought about this more last night, and I'm still of mixed emotions about it. On one hand I'm damn happy that a sequel is even getting made finally, but on the other hand I'm really down about Del Toro not making said sequel and I am not impressed by the credentials of the new director and writer. But, at least now we have a chance at a good PR2, and a chance is still better than no chance at all.

I've had the damned theme from Pacific Rim stuck in my head ever since reading this thread last night. Now I'll be humming it for weeks again just like I always do after thinking about this movie....

jett

D-Member
I'm in the minority of GAF that thought Pacific Rim was pretty bad to the point where I almost walked out of the theater. Maybe new director will do something I find enjoyable with it.

In all seriousness, I feel more or less the same, although not to the point of feeling like walking out of the theater. :p

Halcyon

In all seriousness, I feel more or less the same, although not to the point of feeling like walking out of the theater. :p

I remember I was having kind of a bad day, and also that I got a haircut for some reason because I was telling the lady how disappointed I was with Pacific Rim.

TDLink

I feel like GDT doesn't even like directing all that much since he always ends up leaving his projects for someone else to helm. Maybe he just enjoys producing more. Or maybe he's gotten extremely unlucky time and time again. I don't know.

Either way I think this could be good. Spartacus and Daredevil both turned out well with great direction at times. The original Pacific Rim also had some major problems. The entire film was alright but clearly missing its potential. Pacing was off. Most of the money shots were used in the trailers too. Hopefully this sequel can really go crazy and give us the mecha vs kaiju film we want rather than just the broad strokes like the last one.

mjc

I think this is gonna be in capable hands, although I would have liked to see GDT at the helm again.

What are these rumors I hear about him passing this up to do Hellboy 3? Pipedream stuff?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom