• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steven Spielberg - the one-take ninja master.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Platy

Monique direction was beautiful .... too bad the script of the movie totaly didn't grabbed me =/

Spielberg have beautiful one takes .... but Cuaron's style is still my favorite.

What he did with Children of Men is insane

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
I knew it would be this one. So many people never realised this was one take. The day I found out I was mindblown.

A lot of people don't realize that Spielberg uses these long takes as often as he does. He blends them in with the storytelling and uses them in ways that convey information to the viewer so they never stand out as some kind of camera stunt.

Chichikov

Yes and no. From what I remember, it was done in one take, but finished with CG compositing/plates/fake windows.
I can see everything but the interior being one take (though there places where a cut could easily be snuck in).
Either way, super impressive and very effective.

I absolutely love these kinds of shots

I haven't seen too many spielburg movies, to be honest. if you guys had to pick the best ones to watch, what would they be?

Even in his lesser movies I think Spielberg's eye for movement through a scene is impeccable. Tintin was really disappointing to me, but it looked incredible.

It's a reasonably common word. For your own health I would advise against reading any David Foster Wallace.

Well, that's just common sense.

Alfred Hitchcock's Rope (1948) is set-up like one long take for the entire film. I guess because of limitations of film technology, there are actually 10 cuts in the film. I've watched it a few times, it's a crime thriller, real old-school. I enjoyed it. Quite immersive, despite the acting (which is pretty good for its time) .I think it is Hitchcock's first colour film, but I'm not 100% on that.

http://vimeo.com/76087987

I can't find a link to the actual movie, sadly, but it's out there.

Loxley

I haven't seen too many spielburg movies, to be honest. if you guys had to pick the best ones to watch, what would they be?

My personal favorites of his are Munich, Saving Private Ryan, Lincoln, and The Last Crusade. However, it's difficult not to recommend Jaws, Schindler's List, Jurassic Park or Raiders of the Lost Arc as well.

The man's filmography is ridiculous, throw a rock and you're likely to hit a classic.

Unless you hit The Terminal or War Horse.

WillyFive

The man's filmography is ridiculous, throw a rock and you're likely to hit a classic.

Unless you hit The Terminal or War Horse.

Hey now, the scene in The Terminal where
the guy finds out about his country through the airport television sets
is one of the best scenes Spielberg has shot.. And the scene in War Horse where
the two soldiers cross their lines to untie the horse
is also a classic.

Randdalf

I think some people are missing the point of this thread is that Spielberg uses long takes not just to show off, and they're often used in subtle ways. Long shots like in Gravity and Children of Men area impressive, but they're often used for big, expensive set pieces and there's definitely a feeling of "look what we can do!" behind some of them. Rather than use many quick inter-cuts for a scene, Spielberg will use a long take to transition between many different camera angles (and often interrupts with the cuts to different angles) rather than the frantic cut-cut-cut style favoured in many modern films.

RangerX

Banned
Never been a Speilberg fan but his shot compostion is admittedly great. Unfortunately most of his films are filled with such mawkish sentimentality that it turns me off. ET is geuniely one of my most despised films. I really can't stand it.

Abounder

Banned

Empire of the Sun starring a young Christian Bale from 1987. The cinematography in that film is Spielberg's best in my opinion

Jimothy

Catch Me If You Can is probably my favorite of his. It's just so snappy that I can't help but watch the entire thing every time it's on cable. I'm also one of those people who don't really care for his serious business movies and much prefer his more light hearted outings.

lol impossible question to answer due to so many classics but in no order:

Saving Private Ryan
Catch Me If You Can
Jurassic Park
Empire of the Sun
Jaws
ET
Close Encounters
AI
Minority Report
Indiana Jones movies

errrr I couldn't pick a few. And I even left some out.

strafer

lol impossible question to answer due to so many classics but in no order:

Saving Private Ryan
Catch Me If You Can
Jurassic Park
Empire of the Sun
Jaws
ET
Close Encounters
AI
Minority Report
Indiana Jones movies

errrr I couldn't pick a few. And I even left some out.

No Amistad ey?

WHAT THE FUCK!?!?!?!?!??!+

Jimothy

Also more on topic, I really like that long take near the beginning of Saving Private Ryan where Miller and Horvath are walking across the beach talking about the mission and you get a sense of how huge the landing operation is with all the extras and equipment milling about in the background. It's like that Atonement shot only way more subtle.

inm8num2

Master of the dolly zoom, too.

Jaws.gif

thefro

The video in the OP makes a great point about Spielberg's longer shots basically are just regular shots blended together (so instead of the camera cutting it just moves to the position for the next shot).

That's probably why you don't notice his longer takes like some other directors where they're obviously just showing off.

reggie

Banned
So I was bored and watched Munich thanks to this thread. I'd seen the start before, but I couldn't remember a thing. I enjoyed it. Started to falter towards the end, maybe went a bit longer than it needed to, but yeah, good movie. Shame that Spielberg just throws his name on productions now instead of making movies.

Raiders of the Lost Ark and Jaws are both prety much perfect.

My fave one shot is probably the one from Hard Boiled. Choreographing that on a shoestring budget is the work of a master.

JB1981

Also more on topic, I really like that long take near the beginning of Saving Private Ryan where Miller and Horvath are walking across the beach talking about the mission and you get a sense of how huge the landing operation is with all the extras and equipment milling about in the background. It's like that Atonement shot only way more subtle.

Yes great shot

Daft_Cat

Spielberg's best work (particularly as far as one takes go) is the Bombur barrel sequence in Desolation of Smaug.

Edit:

Just realized Hobbit is Lucas. Move along.

Sande

Why is Cuaron getting so much praise here? I've only seen Children of Men of his movies, and that was an epitome of having for the sake of it long takes that mostly take you out of the experience and make you wonder how long it took them to get it right. Is Gravity so great or what's the deal here?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom