• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steven Universe: Attack the Light |OT| Mobile's Hidden Gem

PBalfredo

Man! How in the world do you fuse into Alexandrite when you really need to, like in the challenge gauntlets, without a Together Breakfast? Maxing both your stars and harmony for everyone is a tall order unless you already got the battle under wraps.

Lijik

I dont think I ever used Alexandrite much in challenge gauntlets but in the main stages i always used the white starfruit and made fusing the opening move.

Granted i almost never used the white starfruit item till near the end of the game so by then I had like 20 stockpiled.

MrCheez

President/Creative Director of Grumpyface Studios
Hm, I'm missing a red gemstone to get to the extra stage on world 5 :/

Is there any list of them or at least where shops are? I don't want to scour each stage to find a shop where I hopefully will find another gem in the shop or find where what screen I missed a hidden item

Wrote up a mini gemstone guide here that should help: http://grumpyfaceblog.tumblr.com/post/115602566638/those-darn-gemstones-a-mini-guide

Has anyone gotten Steven to level 21? I'm trying to grind it out, but even beating the second to last boss continuously is taking forever. Hope its worth it, lol.

Ack, sorry to say it, but Steven's cap is 20 -- the fact that you can squeeze out a little more xp past that isn't intentional and is being patched. The Gems level caps are working properly, however, and they are at
. You also will get/should have gotten an achievement telling you you hit the caps. Anyhoo.. sorry about that!

Speaking of patches: we'll have that out this week with a bunch of various fixes for the things people have been running into. We're paying close attention and working hard to get everything ironed out. Thanks guys!

Kid's getting old now, lol. Same thing happened to Finn and Gumball.

Finn still sounds mostly the same, and his aging made sense within the context of the show. Inversely, Steven's voice sounds much higher pitched in the game and has entirely lost the thick, nasally quality it has on the show.

I'll probably get over it in a few days, but it's seriously annoying nonetheless. I haven't been this weirded out by a voice change since Alphonse's VA being swapped for a middle aged woman in Full Metal Alchemist: Brotherhood.

vypek

No, I've gotten it a quarter way there.
Hm, I can't see the photo you posted :/ I could have sworn his level was locked. I might grind experience against bosses if he can really level up more.

Man! How in the world do you fuse into Alexandrite when you really need to, like in the challenge gauntlets, without a Together Breakfast? Maxing both your stars and harmony for everyone is a tall order unless you already got the battle under wraps.

White stars help for making the cost of Alexandrite nothing but what I've found particularly helpful is the badge that has a chance of returning you to full hp on one character and the other that recovers 5 hp per turn guaranteed. Pearl and Garnet wear these respectively for me and I tend not to let their HP get low. Also helpful in conjunction with this is using the bubble barrier on characters so their HP remains full.

Wrote up a mini gemstone guide here that should help: http://grumpyfaceblog.tumblr.com/post/115602566638/those-darn-gemstones-a-mini-guide

Ack, sorry to say it, but Steven's cap is 20 -- the fact that you can squeeze out a little more xp past that isn't intentional and is being patched. The Gems level caps are working properly, however, and they are at
. You also will get/should have gotten an achievement telling you you hit the caps. Anyhoo.. sorry about that!

Speaking of patches: we'll have that out this week with a bunch of various fixes for the things people have been running into. We're paying close attention and working hard to get everything ironed out. Thanks guys!

Thank you! I'm going to put this guide to use right now. Ah, so the cap for him is indeed 20.

By the way, great work with the game :)

EDIT: It was gemstone #5 in that guide I was missing :) Thanks for the guide again.
And also just noticed your logo is a badge!

Horseticuffs

Full werewolf off the buckle
Never seen the cartoon. My oldest daughter enjoys it. I rather like Adventure Time and Regular Show and I am a big Mobile gamer (especially premium mobile). When a team respects me enough to offer a premium product I like to support that. So far I'm only 25℅ of the way through world one, but I'm enjoying it very much!

Thanks for saying "No" to IAP!

Never seen the cartoon. My oldest daughter enjoys it. I rather like Adventure Time and Regular Show and I am a big Mobile gamer (especially premium mobile). When a team respects me enough to offer a premium product I like to support that. So far I'm only 25℅ of the way through world one, but I'm enjoying it very much!

Thanks for saying "No" to IAP!

Give the show a chance if you like Adventure Time especially, the creator of SU (Rebecca Sugar) was a head writer for Adventure Time and did all of the music from the early episodes as well as wrote (and storyboard) some of the best episodes, especially the ones involving Simon and Marcy

megalowho

Decided to watch some of Steven Universe after seeing this thread and praise for the game, not really into Cartoon Network shows but surprised at how much I enjoyed it. Some interesting storytelling, character progression and world building going on underneath the crazy setups and kids show lesson stuff. Will definitely pick this up after getting through all the episodes.

vypek

So I'm on Android and when I use the "Play Games" app that is supposed to track the achievements, this game does not show up. Is there anyone else on Android with this situation. I just want to check how much I did and if there was any extra stuff I could do but I'm not sure if my account is just not syncing properly or if this is an "issue"(not really something big enough to be an issue).

Or is there anyone that has the game on iOS with a similar situation?

I'm really digging this game so far.
I always appreciate it when developers dabble in designing Paper Mario/Mario&Luigi-esque battle systems; it really makes turn-based combat much more engaging and active.
I'm kind of impressed by how much the game opens up and starts getting more challenging.
I was actually loosing the gems left and right on the second world.
The damage the green doppelgangers were dealing surprised the hell out of me; it didn't help that they seemed to get two hits in if you didn't block them.

So far I find that Pearl's move-set is really versatile while also being being efficient, and fun to use; most of the time, she's usually the only gem I've got left in tough spots.
Also as someone else has already mentioned, I love how Steven tells her she's strong in the real way when he heals her; little touches like that are very appreciated.
:>

So far the only thing I"m a little disappointed in is the storytelling.
I'd like for something a little more complex, but tbf to the game I'm only in the 3rd world so it could get better.

So I'm on Android and when I use the "Play Games" app that is supposed to track the achievements, this game does not show up. Is there anyone else on Android with this situation. I just want to check how much I did and if there was any extra stuff I could do but I'm not sure if my account is just not syncing properly or if this is an "issue"(not really something big enough to be an issue).

Or is there anyone that has the game on iOS with a similar situation?

Hi!! So I've finished Attack the Light, and I was just wandering how I can check achievements? During the game it will show you like 'achievement name' and 'what you did' but i can find no way to actually check them?

Unfortunately you can only view achievements on iOS with Game Center. On Android, due to the Google Play Services not meeting COPPA kids requirements, those features (including tracking achievements) could not be implemented. We wanted to keep the banners in the game anyway, since it’s fun to see when you accomplished something, but sorry to say that at this time there won’t be a way to track them after the fact on Android

There you go, you can't check them on Android because Cartoon Network requires certain standards to be met on tracking and what not in their official apps.

vypek

There you go, you can't check them on Android because Cartoon Network requires certain standards to be met on tracking and what not in their official apps.

Ah, I see. Had no idea there were standards for that but I cam understand it. Thanks

Not

Banned
Nah. I won't watched some episodes in a marathon thinking it was good. I cringed all the way. I won't try to continue watching it, neither bothering people with my rants. I simply accept that it's not a good show for me.

Thanks for telling us. Have a great life outside of this thread

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
Just encountered a terrible bug. Had everyone around level 10-11 and just finished the final secret area (not including gauntlet) in world 2. Went back to world 1 to do the gauntlet stage there, opened the pause screen immediately upon loading in and everyone except Steven was reset back to level 1 and all my items were gone (still had badges). Exited the stage and it seems it's permanent.

So now I have a level 10 Steven with all skills, everyone else level 1 with no skills, base stats, and no items.

Kind of demotivated to continue now since I don't want to replay everything all over again. Probably going to take a break and come back some other time.

This game's amazing. I absolutely hate the non-interactive turn-based combat in most games that are based entirely around that, and don't understand the popularity of them.

Are there plans to do more with this, or are there other mobile games with Paper Mario combat?

Bought this a few days back and started playing today. It's delightfully close to the source material and genuinely fun to play (I'm a Paper/RPG Mario fan so that helps).

Psxphile

Just encountered a terrible bug. Had everyone around level 10-11 and just finished the final secret area (not including gauntlet) in world 2. Went back to world 1 to do the gauntlet stage there, opened the pause screen immediately upon loading in and everyone except Steven was reset back to level 1 and all my items were gone (still had badges). Exited the stage and it seems it's permanent.

So now I have a level 10 Steven with all skills, everyone else level 1 with no skills, base stats, and no items.

Kind of demotivated to continue now since I don't want to replay everything all over again. Probably going to take a break and come back some other time.

Ah, that sucks. I'm a little worried I'll get hit with the same thing eventually. From what I've been hearing seems like trying to enter the pause menu too soon after a screen shift or loading screen could be the cause but I haven't seen any verification on that. I know Grumpyface is aware of the bug and that they've already finished and submitted a new patch (v1.0.2), we're just waiting on iTunes/Google Play/Amazon to make it available. Hopefully it fixes the level/experience issue, though I think those already hit might not be able to recover their lost progress.

tumblr_nmexwoFINb1smn4pqo7_1280.jpg

tumblr_nmexwoFINb1smn4pqo1_1280.jpg

tumblr_nmexwoFINb1smn4pqo2_1280.jpg

tumblr_nmexwoFINb1smn4pqo3_1280.jpg

tumblr_nmexwoFINb1smn4pqo6_1280.jpg

tumblr_nmexwoFINb1smn4pqo4_1280.jpg

tumblr_nmexwoFINb1smn4pqo5_1280.jpg

Here’s some game design notes for our new game “Attack The Light”! These were some of the first pieces of material provided to our creative pals at grumpyfaceblog! You can really see how well they took to the style of the show and created something very unique & special!

Awesome stuff if anyone missed where these were posted on the SU blog.

MrCheez

President/Creative Director of Grumpyface Studios

We discovered this bug last weekend and submitted a fix for it in 1.0.2 last Friday, which should be available any day now (I'll post here when it's up). It's caused by pausing during the very start of a stage and then equipping a badge (so to avoid it until the patch hits, you just have to wait until the characters step off the warp pad before pausing)

It's a really awful bug and I'm so sorry your ran into it. Despite how thoroughly we tested for weeks across many devices, we somehow never encountered it -- but we're doing all we can to continue supporting the game and fixing every problem that comes up, and the 1.0.2 patch does fix nearly every issue we saw people experience last week. Very anxious for that to get out there.. It kills me/us to see people having problems

Sorry again :(

PBalfredo

The behind-the-scenes look at the feedback between the Steven Universe crew and the game developers is very interesting. I wonder how common that level of feedback is on licensed games.

I just recently got the upgrade for Holo-Pearl that lets me use it for just 3 stars. I've been using it, but it's made me realize I've been neglecting Pearl up to this point. I haven't been finding her too useful mostly since her attack power is so low and her other moves are costly for what they do. I hardly used Holo-Pearl when its cost was 4 since all that would leave me with is a regular attack with Pearl, which I felt was lackluster. She can be speced towards getting crits, but even when she's getting them, it seems to pale against Garnet's punches. I have the badges that give me a chance to paralyze on a crit with Pearl, but that's so reliant on luck I'd rather just save a star to the next round and have Garnet murder the hell out of something with her punch combo attack.

At least now with Holo-Pearl being 3 stars, that gives me the option to use my remaining stars for either an attack with Garnet, or a heal with Steven, so using Holo-Pearl is much more feasible.

Kas

I've only been playing this game during work on my break, but my brother has been playing it nonstop for about a week.

Its pretty great. I hope it does well enough where we get console games.

vypek

The behind-the-scenes look at the feedback between the Steven Universe crew and the game developers is very interesting. I wonder how common that level of feedback is on licensed games.

I just recently got the upgrade for Holo-Pearl that lets me use it for just 3 stars. I've been using it, but it's made me realize I've been neglecting Pearl up to this point. I haven't been finding her too useful mostly since her attack power is so low and her other moves are costly for what they do. I hardly used Holo-Pearl when its cost was 4 since all that would leave me with is a regular attack with Pearl, which I felt was lackluster. She can be speced towards getting crits, but even when she's getting them, it seems to pale against Garnet's punches. I have the badges that give me a chance to paralyze on a crit with Pearl, but that's so reliant on luck I'd rather just save a star to the next round and have Garnet murder the hell out of something with her punch combo attack.

At least now with Holo-Pearl being 3 stars, that gives me the option to use my remaining stars for either an attack with Garnet, or a heal with Steven, so using Holo-Pearl is much more feasible.

My neglected character ended up being Amethyst. Pearl was used a lot for me cause she had the fire badge for a while and the low cost of her attacks was useful. Her special moves really became useful to me later too :) That upgraded 3 shot special and the one hit javelin toss are great.

Its really cool to use upgraded stuff. The upgrade to the Steven bubble was a game changer for me

PBalfredo

My neglected character ended up being Amethyst. Pearl was used a lot for me cause she had the fire badge for a while and the low cost of her attacks was useful. Her special moves really became useful to me later too :) That upgraded 3 shot special and the one hit javelin toss are great.

Its really cool to use upgraded stuff. The upgrade to the Steven bubble was a game changer for me

For me, Amethyst at least has her niche of having an affordable attack against all enemies, whereas Pearl is competing with Garnet on single-enemy attacks. I put the fire badge and the instant-KO badge on Amethyst because it has a chance to proc on each enemy hit in a single attack, so it cheaper to hit a large group once with Amy than one-at-a-time with Pearl to spread status effects.

Amethyst's Purple Puma attack also lets me two-turn some of the tougher enemies with armor since it lets me break armor, reduce their attack and do decent damage. I then save the remaining star til next turn to finish off the armorless big guy with Garnet's punch combo of death.

Psxphile

New patch is live on Google Play. Notes:

Attack the Light v1.0.2 Patch Notes:

Red Gemstones and Badges in shops now count towards a stage’s 100% rating! It’s now much easier to backtrack and find your missing stuff!
Attack the Light is now more stable against memory crashes
Fixed “Characters Level Reset to 9001” bug that was caused by pausing during stage start/warp-in and equipping a badge
Fixed “missing key/missing gemstone” bugs caused by device hiccups. ALSO: If you previously lost a key, restarting a stage will now re-award you the key you lost!
Steven can now level to 22, and leveling past 20 is no longer super-slow
Fixed Chapter 2 Boss (Orange) getting stuck if you return to it after beating it the first time and try to fuse
Fixed some issues with the almighty bagel sandwich
Fixed a bug where the final boss could go immune
Fixed a bug where the Lucky/Shamrock badges were lowering player Luck when both were equipped and then unequipped
Upon defeat, Garnet’s gems are now accurate…
Players who have 100%d the game are now treated to a very tiny Easter Egg on the map screen! (Remember that badges and gemstones in shops now count towards 100%, so some of your stage completion %s might have changed!)
A few other small fixes and tweaks. We will be continuing to look out for any other problems and providing support
Thanks for playing and for your support and patience!

Patch is 173MB, apparently.

That last one... does that mean they raised Steven's level cap? Or did they mean to say you don't gain XP past level 20? Never mind, updated post with more accurate notes.

PaulloDEC

Finally finished the campaign on this today, though I've still got some secrets and whatnot to clear up from previous areas.

Liked

• Storytelling and dialogue that felt fun and authentic to the show
• Combat that perfectly walks the line between simplicity and depth
• The
surprise twist
at the end of the campaign
• Occasional dialogue choices that offer bonus XP towards different gems
• Cute art

Wanna see in a sequel

• A little more voiced dialogue would be awesome
• More detailed environments with some unique landmarks
• A few more simple environmental puzzles might be nice
• I need Greg and Connie in there somehow. Like, Steven could call Connie on his phone, and she could provide a buff to intelligence or something (they might need to add an intelligence stat to the game). Greg could just drive his van into battle and run enemies over.

Overall, fantastic little game. I think I've put more time into this than any other mobile game I've owned, and I'll be going back later to tidy up some of the stuff I missed. Great Steven Universe game, and a great game generally.

Psxphile

I noticed after the patch that Garnet's gems are now their respective, original colors when she loses her form (read: defeated) instead of remaining purple. That's a neat touch.

The Grumpyface blog has been updating with some behind-the-scenes game info and other peculiars:

Game Achievements List:
The Achievement list is viewable in iOS using Game Center, but I’m afraid not available on Android at this time (this is due to the “Google Play Games” service for viewing Achievements did not meet Cartoon Network’s privacy policy standards).

For now, here is a list of all Achievements in the game:

Steven’s RPG: Level Up one of the Crystal Gems
One Down, A Bunch To Go!: Defeat the Indigo Prism Boss
Let’s Warp!: Discover a secret Warp Pad
Boss Beater-Uppers: Defeat the Green Prism Boss without any Gems falling in battle
Attacking The Light: Defeat 100 Prism Creatures
This is Gonna Be Intense: Unlocked a Gauntlet Stage
A Serious Mission: Complete a Gauntlet stage
Really Really Giant Woman: Fuse into Alexandrite!
Cookie Cat Recall: Complete any stage in Chapter 4 without using items
Lion Loot: Find Lion’s Badge
Magic Moves: Unlock all abilities
Over 9000: Fully Level Up all of the Crystal Gems
We’ll Always Save The Day: Return all 7 colors to the Prism
Magic Treasure Junk: Acquire every badge
Perfect Porkchop: Get 100% on every stage

Cutting Room floor:
Oh, tons! But really, that’s always the case with every project…

The biggest enemy tends to be time. Attack the Light was in production for about 10-11 months (not counting a few weeks break during the holidays), which isn’t a ton of time for a game like this. I wouldn’t necessarily say many things were “cut” (though there were a few) – more like we knew how much time/budget we’d have and planned a realistic scope around that.

Here’s a few things we would have loved to include in the final game, but couldn’t for various reasons:

- Explorable Beach City! This is something everyone would’ve loved to have had (including crewniverse, who asked about it at our very first meeting!), but we just didn’t have time to do it justice. Sorry guys! In its absence, we focused on creating an experience that felt as “mobile” and accessible as possible while hopefully not being *too* simple

- Lion as a summonable attack. He was almost in, but ultimately one of the only big notable ‘cuts’. This one actually got far enough along to get original VO recorded by the awesome Zach Callison (Including: ”Lion, I choose you!”)

- More fusions!! Unfortunately the game’s release date did not line up with the plans for certain fusion reveals (But… super happy we got Alex in!)

- More robust puzzles. A bunch of ideas were discussed – especially for more setups along the lines of what you’d find in Zelda dungeons, but in the end this aspect of the game had to remain pretty simple (though we were adamant about having *something* there to break up the combat)

- A Guitar Hero-esque mini game when you played Steven’s ukulele. This was fully designed and illustrated, but cut before it could be animated or programmed. Yeah… woulda been neat!

On the flip side to all that, there were various things in the game that almost didn’t make the cut, including the Badge system – believe it or not! It was never scoped nor in the original Game Design Doc; instead being squeezed in late in development when it felt like something was missing!

Early Concept Artwork:
tumblr_nmyr2xzPt81ureu3go1_1280.png

A few early Attack the Light concept images!

Before the Crewniverse suggested the simplified “distance model” style for the character designs (which worked out beautifully!), we played around with adjusting character proportions. We even briefly considered a pixel style for the game, as can be seen above.

You can also see that the idea for the enemy creatures was originally going in a much different direction – same with various aspects of the combat structure

We couldn’t be happier with how everything turned out – but it’s always fun to look back!

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I'm stuck on a couple of levels

1-4 shows 5/6 secrets but I can't find the last one. Opened both gem doors

1-6 shows 1/2 secrets

4-2 shows as 3/4 secrets, but I can't find the 4th for the life of me. Checked a video of someone playing through it, and they ended the level with 3/3 secrets - why is mine showing 4?

Psxphile

I'm stuck on a couple of levels

1-4 shows 5/6 secrets but I can't find the last one. Opened both gem doors

1-6 shows 1/2 secrets

4-2 shows as 3/4 secrets, but I can't find the 4th for the life of me. Checked a video of someone playing through it, and they ended the level with 3/3 secrets - why is mine showing 4?

New update raised the secret caps to account for Badges you buy in shops (edit: also Red Gemstones you find), I'm thinking that video was old and doesn't reflect the changes from the update.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Ah so badges count as secrets. Now going back and buying them. Seems a bit counter intuitive tbh but oh well

Gauntlet stages are very crash prone which is extra annoying as they are trickier than others and ends up being a slog

Edit: got through world 4's gauntlet on the 5th attempt. And 100%ed worlds 1-4. Fully maxed all characters before even starting world 5

Tizoc

How do I delete the game's save data? My nephews wanted to play it but I wanted them to play it from the start and I didn't know how to make a new game >_>;;;;;

Got this game late (just a week or so ago) and had it beat and 100% in just a couple days. Quite fun, but sadly so short. I've let my 5 year old play it now on the completed save. Since she can't read most of it and has problems with the timing, the massive level/skill/badge boost. She's caught on really fast though so I might restart her game as well.

Psxphile

I'll tyr to find it when I get home cuz I swear I didn't see it in Options @_@

Okay. I mean, there's only the four entries under Settings there but good luck!

Got this game late (just a week or so ago) and had it beat and 100% in just a couple days. Quite fun, but sadly so short. I've let my 5 year old play it now on the completed save. Since she can't read most of it and has problems with the timing, the massive level/skill/badge boost. She's caught on really fast though so I might restart her game as well.
Ah, introducing her via the old Square Demo tactic. I remember playing the Xenogears demo and then later starting the full game... I was like 'where did all my cool skills go?'. Didn't occur to me that I would have to earn them back.

Psxphile

After procrastinating a bit by playing other games and having little to no time in general to devote to it, I finally got around to beating this game today. The ending was a little underwhelming I guess, thought maybe it could have gone a little more in-depth on the nature of the prism (though I guess the use of dialogue choices in the final battle helped facilitate that) but overall it was a surprisingly enjoyable mobile RPG. I still have some areas that need to be cleared out and a few more badges to collect before reaching 100% though. Maybe I'll get to those in the next few days, time permitting.

On the possibilities of a sequel, if Grumpyface Studios is tasked by CN and the showrunners to produce another one it'd be interesting to see Steven use the Prism as intended so he could have a more active role in combat. I know the game's ending basically reveals that
Steven set the Prism free and it doesn't need to be a weapon anymore, but I figure since it seems grateful to him that it might return to aid the Crystal Gems against another threat

This game was excellent. I just 100% it and I gotta say I'd buy a full fledged RPG of this style. I'm not one to shy away from $15 on a mobile platform.

Anilones

I'm stuck at 91% on 2-4 with 5/5 chests and 5/6 secrets. I've bought all six items in the two shops multiple times and tapped everywhere on each screen. What secret am I missing?

Brilliant game, I feel guilty for getting it for free.

Order

Sorry for the bump but I just recently bought this and I've run into an error.

When I start the game it shows the Gem's home and then it goes to a black screen. It just stays there.

Has anyone else run into this? I'm on Android

Top Bottom