• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stopped supporting Digital Foundry on Patreon. Left wondering if Patreon needs improving.

Ban Puncher

Pro tip: most people who are super passionate about this stuff are sociopaths. You can read up on why elsewhere (it boils down to not being able to connect with humans while still being able to emotionally connect with ideas, things, etc. They are not emotionally dead psychopaths. They also tend to have a lot of time on their hands and a lot of anger.)

My advice D dark10x : don’t engage. If you are sensitive, know and embrace that. If it is a non-negotiable requirement for your job, ask if you are in fact suited for that job. Also, take up Buddhism. Food for the Heart by Chah is a good listen.
1261812214097.png

joe_zazen

Talking about people passionate enough to knife fight in comments and dog creators and spend all their free time warring over particular ‘hobbies’. Maybe i could have chosen a better word, idk. But if you are popular, and you engage, you will find out that toxic people exist.

Last edited:

Bankai

Apologies - for me it just comes down to lack of time for anything and having a really bad year. It's getting a tad better but the sheer volume of work is proving too much for me. Gotta make changes to survive cuz I've never been so stressed and unwell. That's really what it comes down to. I do try to answer messages when possible but the hours I'm working right now and being sick has made things tough to keep up.

Well, unfortunately, we do not. Things aren't great and I'm so stressed that I can barely keep up! So, that's why I've missed messages and mostly stopped posting on forums (until this moment). It's been one of the worst years on record for me. I'm trying my best but have failed, as usual.

That said, we're looking at ways to improve by focusing more on it and that will hopefully allow me to do more stuff FOR the Patreon (including an easy way to chat with us directly) instead of only focusing on YouTube. That is the big key, I think. Finding new ways to focus.

Sorry for letting everyone down again. I wish I could please everyone but I'm just not good enough.

Why do you make these types of claims? That stuff really fucking hurts and isn't even remotely true.

I just want to make enjoyable videos. That's all. ...but the spark is fading fast along with my health. The internet has really wrecked me.

D dark10x Goddamnit, this really affected me :goog_confounded: For years I've watched all your content, which is obviously created with so much passion. I love watching every one of your vids. Favorites include your retro-series and it always brings smile to my face, hearing/seeing you talk about all thing tech & videogames.

Don't let a couple of ungrateful assholes wear you down John! The internet is a toxic place, but please remember that for every hurtful comment, for every assshole troll motherf*cker, there are 10.000 people who love you & appreciate you!

Please don't focus on the negative and know, that there are A LOT of people that thoroughly enjoy what you do.

Also, please take care of yourself man. If you feel kinda burned out, take a break. No-one will blame you and you might need it to regain some perspective.

All the best!

Last edited:

#Phonepunk#

Banned
Seems a bit much to demand content creators respond to every email they get. Even from subscribers. For something as well known as DF they could probably spend all day morning to night responding to emails. And for what? U aren’t paying to be their pen pal. They are there to make videos

Think the internet gives people the wrong impression of open access. Support them or not.

I can understand being a content creator and having so many things to do that responding to every email from a $10 pledge would be largely a waste of time. OP don’t act so entitled

Last edited:

Hostile_18

Banned
I love the videos especially DF Retro.

Sounds like the workload just needs to be managed either by adding to the staff, hiring a community manager or if not practical scaling back the work load and only focusing on what your passionate about and/or brings in the money.

As for social media best to ignore it for a while. If you get into the weeds with every comment you'll drive yourself crazy :).

nahcir

Neo Member
Apologies - for me it just comes down to lack of time for anything and having a really bad year. It's getting a tad better but the sheer volume of work is proving too much for me. Gotta make changes to survive cuz I've never been so stressed and unwell. That's really what it comes down to. I do try to answer messages when possible but the hours I'm working right now and being sick has made things tough to keep up.

Well, unfortunately, we do not. Things aren't great and I'm so stressed that I can barely keep up! So, that's why I've missed messages and mostly stopped posting on forums (until this moment). It's been one of the worst years on record for me. I'm trying my best but have failed, as usual.

That said, we're looking at ways to improve by focusing more on it and that will hopefully allow me to do more stuff FOR the Patreon (including an easy way to chat with us directly) instead of only focusing on YouTube. That is the big key, I think. Finding new ways to focus.

Sorry for letting everyone down again. I wish I could please everyone but I'm just not good enough.

Why do you make these types of claims? That stuff really fucking hurts and isn't even remotely true.

I just want to make enjoyable videos. That's all. ...but the spark is fading fast along with my health. The internet has really wrecked me.
John, your videos are of a superb quality and I always look forward to watching them when I've seen that there has been an upload. Never EVER have I felt disappointed or let down by you or anyone else at DF, who provide all of your work free of charge to the people online. You're part of such a seemingly small team, yet you manage to put out so much diversified content, that I was always left wondering how you manage to do that. Now unfortunately it seems that the reason for this is that you're really stressed out and working way more than is healthy to you. Please, mind you own health, step back a little and try to recover from the stress. I'm absolutely fine if that results in less or less frequent content, look at it from this perspective: If you keep things the way they are seemingly right now, the quality of your content is most definately going to suffer, which in turn will make you feel as if you're letting people down even more. It's a devils cycle. Please, break it ;-(

phil_t98

#SonyToo
always enjoy the Digital foundry vids, always clear and how they should be. its funny certain members on here trash Digital foundry and yet very recently posted a Vid that showed a certain console version of a game ran better on their console of choice. the next minute they bash digital foundry, D dark10x just need thicker skin buddy as you vids are always welcome and I really like the DFretro stuff

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA

See, that's your mistake there. You are good enough.

And remember. You do it because it's fun. I know you also need to get money for a living, but remember to have yourself first before your viewers. They should appreciate what you create (although it's good to have a lot of common sense)

Im a musician myself, and I know that people can be the worst on the internet, sometimes so much it even can affect what I'm doing, and bring their own evilness into my own posts.

But appreciate the good comments. When you fall down into all that shit people write, go and read some good comments instead. We both know they are there.

xrnzaaas

Best wishes man, take care of yourself, your videos don't get as much praise as they should. Definitely saved me from some bad purchases.

VVV Mars VG

Patreon really depends on the creator and their resource available. In my own case, I struggle to do everything myself as it is, if I produced much more in the way of separate content for Patreon, it would just reduce content on my public channels. If the Patreon made enough I could afford to use that on freelancers, that would mean more content and more resource to produce it. So, then it's is about resource and where you invest it.

Everyone is different in how they organise what they do, but as I see it, you're supporting the content creator to make great content, anything else is a bonus. Though I agree, Patreon member messages should be responded too swiftly where possible without delay.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
This is weirdly emotionally manipulative language from someone representing Digital Foundry. I'm sorry if you're unwell but you don't have to take responsibility for what a company of 50-100 employees decides to do.
Well, I take a lot of responsibility only because the whole team is five people including me. So anytime something goes wrong, I fee directly connected to it. Wish I could have answered the OPs question but I totally missed it and come off as someone that doesn’t care when I do.

The thing is, I have a lot of myself tied up in my videos and comments that aren’t true really bother me more than they should. When things aren’t great elsewhere, those things add up hence the strong reactions.

Last edited:
Well, I take a lot of responsibility only because the whole team is five people including me. So anytime something goes wrong, I fee directly connected to it. Wish I could have answered the OPs question but I totally missed it and come off as someone that doesn’t care when I do.

So, we're talking a specific job with only a 5 man team, I get it more, I guess. Honestly you need to not take it so hard, you should see the shit I say about my friends, gotta distinguish the banter from real toxicity, personally I wish no ill will on pretty much anyone. There's people celebrating Layden's firing from Sony in another thread and personally I'd never celebrate anyone losing their job unless they were responsible for actual harm to other people or something. Hope you get better.

ljubomir

D dark10x Cheer up dude! You're my top 10 content creators on YouTube, among 8 bit guy, Techmoan, Cody's Lab and LGR, and I'm sure my feelings aren't isolated. You're focusing _waaay_ more on the negativity instead of cherishing your accomplishments. Never forget what you achieved, and remember to value both yourself and your work highly.

It is commendable that you accept the criticism and seek to improve your work, but don't pay for it with your health.

Find the joy in what you do and accept the fact that we enjoy it too.

The thing is, I have a lot of myself tied up in my videos and comments that aren’t true really bother me more than they should. When things aren’t great elsewhere, those things add up hence the strong reactions.

I think figuring out solutions to alleviate the stress is a far better approach than taking more responsibility compared to the rest of your team. I believe there's some management and structural-organizational aspects that may need to be improved, that you and your team should take into consideration.

I've been following your work on Youtube for years, and it's some of the best content i've ever seen. I greatly appreciate everything you've done, and yes, you need to get that thick skin back. Pleasing everybody is fundamentally impossible.

Codes 208

I see patreon like a tipping service. If you enjoyed their work then I would say they deserve your money. Who and why is always subjective however.

But just like if i were to tip my waitress, its not like Im expecting them to suddenly answer my emails or phone calls.

DonF

Their retro stuff is gold, all the other stuff is good. I've been enjoying their "podcast" videos.

How come they don't earn enough out of youtube? is it really that bad there?? Also, how do they work with eurogamer? Cause their page is there. Do they get a cut, do they pay eurogamer to be there? I think we need more information about their business. They are at 775k subs on youtube, thats a lot! and 330 mill views... not bad!

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
I cannot understand how anyone could dislike Digital Foundry videos. More than any other channel is 90% facts and not opinions.

Prime Minister of Poland said:
I'm gonna compare how this orange fits on this toaster vs bread fitting on a toaster
IN 4K! But the fact that this orange EVEN fits on this toaster means this is totally acceptable!

I mean you are technically right!

TLZ

Banned

Jon, no one's perfect. We all make mistakes. It's normal. It's part of life. I guess it's part of what should remind us to stay humble. No matter how big or small we are, we all make mistakes somehow someway. It doesn't mean we're failures. Otherwise, we're all failures then :)

I'm pretty sure you guys know what mistakes you've done when watching your videos and wish or think you could've done better. That's a good sign or always wanting to improve, but don't beat yourself over it.

Cheer up mate. Look at what you've achieved, take complaints and mistakes as points to improve yourself further (without stress, remember, we all make mistakes), and ignore the obvious trolling posts (like disrespectful ones who couldn't care less anyway and aren't constructive).

Also, I think this is kinda like customer service. People always expect good service, and will complain when they don't get it. We might come off harsh at times. Sometimes we are frustrated too, have bad days and lash out. Doesn't mean we dislike or hate you. Don't take everything to heart like that :) It's probably just our way of always wanting to come back to the outlet we always liked and want it to stay that way.

Also, tbh with you, I don't like extremes. What I mean is, I'm not going to sit here and praise someone to high heavens no matter what, nor am I going to crap on someone no matter what. I like to commend someone when they've done a good job, and let them know when they haven't. I like to stay in the middle. I do this to everyone, and I expect the same done to me. Imo, it helps us stay in the correct direction this way. I hope you accept this :)

I'm sure we all know what you go through as well, all the hard work you put into your videos. We appreciate that. Always stay unbiased, because that's when you're at your best :) (Although I know sometimes it's hard not favoring one thing over the other. We all do it. But in your channel/content's situation, you have to stay impartial because that's what you are promoting).

If you'd allow me to suggest something (I hope you're reading), why not have a separate channel on the side, just yours, where you can pour all your biased stuff in? Talk about and show us all things you love and prefer. Imo, that's where you'll shine more. And if people say you're clearly biased, duh, that's what your channel is all about; talking about the things you love in gaming. They'll come out more from the heart and you'll be happier making them I think :)

Take care of yourself and always be well!

oagboghi2

I found out that this alex dude is posting on resetera, that alone is reason enough for me to avoid their content. They also praised the "awesome new engine" of cod modern warfare. Wonder how activision gave them to spread such nonsense.
This is stupid.

Thank you for taking a moment to respond to my message John. I wasn't aware that you still used NeoGAF but I very much appreciate that you took a moment to respond to my experience. With a better knowledge of your own circumstances, I would like to apologise for any offense that my topic may have caused. Please understand that I was not criticising your channel, content or videos, which for the record, are always top notch. However I was a little disappointed with my experience trying to contact yourself and the team, but without knowing any of the hardships you face, one can only assume. Sadly whilst it does appear from the outside as a fan who watches the videos that DF create and their production values compared to other content creators, that there is a team working here and resources that would allow you guys the opportunities to connect with fans.

This does answer a lot of questions and it also provides a picture of what it is that you're going through. We never know these things unless people talk about them and in most cases it sometimes comes too late when a person is dealing with something very difficult. I hope you know that whatever you are doing, I still support and love your content. Maybe I didn't get that reply I hoped for online, but you took the time to do this and it genuinely means a lot to me. :) Thank you for doing so and keep up the amazing work. Ignore the haters.

I'm so sorry to hear that John, I don't feel as though you give yourself enough credit. I don't think you've failed, I think far from it. Perhaps as a consequence of the success of Digital Foundry, you find yourself in the great conundrum of not being able to respond to all those messages and having read your reply, I can understand more why.

I know it might not mean much but I have a lot going on right now myself. It was my little boys 2nd birthday today and it might be the last that he see's his great grandparents on my side of the family and his great nana on my fiancee's. My partners nana is dying from a combination of health problems. My grandma has terminal lung cancer and my grand father has a brain tumor that's gradually getting worse. I've never really lost anybody before, let alone three grand parents in such a short space of time. I'm lucky to have such a good group of family and friends that are helping us so the daily journey from one side of Lancashire to the other to make the last of the time they have left isn't so hard.

I think that it's times like this that we really rely on each other for support. Whoever or where ever you are. Just responding to my thread today really made me happy to know that you are watching and listening. Whether it's a personal issue, a work issue or a health issue. I want you to know that your health is important and so is your happiness. It's because of our passion for games that I've even come to find and enjoy your work and even if we haven't met I can still empathise and offer my support, even if it does feel like it's not enough.

That would be fantastic and honestly would very much make me reconsider supporting the cause. The 4K videos sadly aren't the main reason that I chose to support the channel. It was your work on DF Retro that made me decide to do it and as I've said previously and will say again, I do not regret that decision, I am happy to support the channel and the way that you do in any way that I can. I think maybe because I choose to support Patreon to get closer to the people who make the content that in its current form, the Pateon would be more effective if there was time to read and respond. Clearly you aren't afforded that time and I'm sorry to hear it. Plus, there are other members of the team, you can't take the whole burden yourself.

A monthly Q&A session would be a great thing, even if I had to pledge a little more than the minimum to qualify.

This by far, is simply not true. Just reading your response shows the difficulties that you're facing and perhaps, without that knowledge, I couldn't appreciate the extent of what you are dealing with, not just in terms of workload but also on a personal level. I'd like to apologise if you felt as though this was a personal attack, it certainly was not. Or, at the very least, was not intended to come across that way. My comment here I would like to clarify:

For those of us who support gaming content creators and all the channels that ask you to consider supporting them, I have to wonder if perhaps Patreon really needs improving here or whether some people are just dicks? I can't decide. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

This was not calling you and your teams dicks, perhaps my wording here needed improvement. It was quite late GMT time when I wrote this and I don't think it was as cohesive as it likely should have been. This was a general statement of principal which would only apply if messages were simply being ignored, but as you've shown, this is not the case. Though I have used the site for a few years now and there are genuinely Patreon channels that balently ignore fans because as other users have said, these channels don't really need Patreon. I do find this to be hypocritical of those channels as they quite often advertise that you can support via Patreon and drop them a message etc. It's not always as straight forward as you'd hope, from a supporters point of view.

This is why I was saying that Patreon could be improved with features similar to Facebook that explain better the kind of interaction you actually look at when pledging. Rewards tiers are pretty clear but things such as Q&A, the ability to contact the Patreon or how often they add new content to the page would be very useful.

I hope OP feels bad now.

Actually I feel quite happy that John took two moments out of his very difficult time to reply and acknowledge that perhaps I wasn't just writing a whole load of BS online to slander the hard work that he does?

Maybe other folk on the site haven't really understood why I felt the way that I do and some have blown it way out of proportion. I made is clear in the OP, I love the content from Digital Foundry. It helps me make purchasing decisions, it helps me to better understand what I should expect from a technical perspective from a game and DF:Retro, my favourite show by far, allows me a look at the games of my childhood that can scarcely be found elsewhere.

Man, I just looked through hundreds of messages on Twitter - I can't even find the message from the OP. When was it sent?

It doesn't matter now, obviously, but I'd like to know.

To answer your question, Patreon just states '6 months ago' and doesn't offer an exact date. I messaged you on Twitter in a DM on February 11th 2018 (Before Patreon so irrelevant). But I don't use the same user name on Twitter so it's not likely that you'll find my tweets, they do come up under tweets and replies rather than your DM's sorry you spent so much time looking! I can send you screen caps if you'd like? I don't really want to post them in the open cause I don't really want people having my personal details. :)

Thanks John.

Oemenia

Banned
DF have had a transformative impact on the industry. Don't let some armchair console warriors detract you from your work.

DF have had a transformative impact on the industry. Don't let some armchair console warriors detract you from your work.

I mean, the Borderlands 3 analysis was full of flaws as well, that isn't an exclusive to any specific console. Also the OP had nothing to do with the stuff you're talking about, it's 100% about Patreon content.

Jtibh

Banned
Df turned into a raytrace pc wanking soap opera ever since alex entered the group. But it was expected since all my friends in germany ( myself german)were always into pc gaming.
I didnt see any interesting content for a while and i feel they just try to fill the void till next year when the new consoles arrive.
Honestly these guys do their very best to create content for all of us but given the lazy performance from all companies and pushing everything to 2020 dont expect much for a while.

Patreon ....well dont pay if you dont want to. I wouldnt, i mean they are now big enough to get sponsored by third parties so yeah i dont think they need the money.

Saber

Gold Member
This is weirdly emotionally manipulative language from someone representing Digital Foundry. I'm sorry if you're unwell but you don't have to take responsibility for what a company of 50-100 employees decides to do.

I don't think he was representing DF. He was representing only himself and spoke with us like a common fella. You on the other hand made a comment that sounds kinda rude and lack of any kind of emphaty.

I don't think he was representing DF. He was representing only himself and spoke with us like a common fella. You on the other hand made a comment that sounds kinda rude and lack of any kind of emphaty.

Maybe you should read our full interaction with each other because not only was there empathy given to his predicament but the language he uses makes it clear he's being affected by negative commentary for anything DF because he feels tied to it and as the only person from DF here that does mean he speaks as their representative by choosing to take on these questions and he's certainly being affected by it like someone who considers themself a representative.

renzolama

Source: Your ass

Yeah, I mean in case it wasn't completely obvious to anyone, that was meant as a joke and I don't actually believe that Nintendo pays DigitalFoundry for positive reviews (which would be quite a silly thing to believe). I do happen to believe personally that they seem to have a massive Nintendo Switch bias and their headlines for port previews/reviews are comically hyperbolic, but not because they're being paid to do so.

Edit: And my statement was not intended to dogpile onto the original complaint about the Patreon page or derail that conversation with additional negativity, I thought it was an obvious joke with a bit of snark that would make a few sensible chuckles and be forgotten. I certainly don't think it needed to be addressed by any DF staff and apologize if it caused emotional distress.

Last edited:

Saber

Gold Member
Maybe you should read our full interaction with each other because not only was there empathy given to his predicament but the language he uses makes it clear he's being affected by negative commentary for anything DF because he feels tied to it and as the only person from DF here that does mean he speaks as their representative by choosing to take on these questions and he's certainly being affected by it like someone who considers themself a representative.

He is affected by most of people targetting him directly. I know most of people on youtube do that.
But the point is that he has no obligation to explain his situation. He could simply get near the OP and send him DM.
He come here to honestly to explain his situation to anyone who watch his stuff because he deeply cares. He didn't come with "weird manipulative language". He was just expressing of why he couldn't answer because of his workload.

Last edited:
So you are saying you were just bantering here?

It's definitely not the sort of thing I'd stress myself out over. I made that comment without perusing the thread, unaware a DF member was here talking about their issues involving health and stress. If he's really taking comments like that to heart I'd rather he considers it bants because it totally was a partial troll, I don't know that they are in the pocket of anyone or are being biased, I know that I found their Gears 5 coverage lacking and their response to criticism in their Borderlands 3 vid was even worse, it was basically laughing at us for having a problem. It's not an honest way to open up a dialogue with people who have issues. So long as the guy is here actually responding to people giving him heat, like he did me, I'm going to ease up more but I'm not going to change my views any more than I would on Activision's greed if the CEO were in here telling me how stressed out he is.

Top Bottom