• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Strange lines of dialogue in games

Szadek

"I don't even have time to explain why I have no time to explain." -Destiny
...but you got time for this stupid line?

loganclaws

Plane Escape Torment
Was playing Breath of Fire III when I came across this.

"Protect our forests!"

NQr50rP.png

Alright then.

Any other odd pieces of dialogue you've found in a game? It could be a mistranslation, or just an out of place or bizarre piece of text. This is pretty tame compared to some stuff, I'd imagine.

Have you tried kicking or punching the trees in BOF3? Items fall out when you do and this is a hint for the player. Can't believe someone didn't realize that.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
"Fucking Technology. Fuck it right up the ass."

- The Burton family (Resident Evil Revelations 2)

JulianImp

To this day, I have no idea what Natsume means by, "Hand, huh?"

Looking at the picture, it seems the player named a dog "Hand" and showed it to the girl NPC. I haven't played the Harvest Moon series at all so I might be wrong there, though.

Speaking about weird dialogue, I remember Imakuni? from the Game Boy Pokemon TCG being really strange. It took many many years for me to learn that he was supposed to be some guy who sang the pokerap in Japan while wearing a mouse suit, which gave me some context even thought I still find his lines and way of playing strange.

Always bothered me in Final Fantasy 2 for the SNES:

Cecil: We do not understand the meaning of taking crystals away from honest
people.

King: Disobeying me?

Cecil: No, I don't.

What was the "No, I don't", that's not an answer to that question. Should that have been "No, I'm not!" and it's just a bad translation? Even at the time I thought it was really strange.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
These King of Fighters quotes are insane, haha. They make literally no sense.

In Halo 3, when asked where to deploy their Pelicans Commander Keyes replies: "To war."

To war. There have been 23 billion human casualties as of Halo 3, and you're telling me to order my fellow soldiers "To War."

Dr. Buni

Aqua Admin Matt said:
"Oh ho! Strong, ain'tcha? You're an interesting punk, too, I'll give you that!"
"I love interesting, strong dudes! That's why I love my bro, Archie! And that's why I'm gonna start loving you from now on, too! Next time I see you, I'll smash you up real good, OK?"
It is strange because it is not what I would expect to read in a Nintendo game (then again, Pokémon is full of those wonderful lines) and not because there is anything wrong with a dude loving interesting and strong dudes :p

Edit:
lmao

Ants

Looking at the picture, it seems the player named a dog "Hand" and showed it to the girl NPC. I haven't played the Harvest Moon series at all so I might be wrong there, though.

All the screenshots are from my play, actually. She says that regardless of its name.

So, I did some digging, and this is the original line in Japanese:

The key here is お手. o te. ote. 'Te' is the kanji for 'hand', and 'ote' is used in Japan in basically the same way English-speakers use 'shake'. Popuri is telling the dog to shake.

This has bothered me since I first played Harvest Moon 64 in 1999, but the mystery is finally solved. This is the danger of translating too literally, vs translating for intent.

Goldrush

In the 3D Clock Tower for the PSX, one of the protagonist makes bizarre comments when examining items. Despite never playing it after the PSX days, I still remember to this day a chimney being described as something that Santa might come down in. That happy imagery certainly stands out when being chased by a giant scissor-wielding gremlin.

Peace is paved
With kingdom saved
Hurrah to
Luigi
Mario
Our only hero
This ends your trip
Of a long friendship

They certainly had a reward in mind for those who beat The Lost Levels...

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
amp-quot-i-amp-039-m-already-half-xehanort-amp-quot_gp_3407041.jpg

Now take this into account. Xehanort, is not a disease, or a concept or spirit, Xehanort is a person. This is thing that happened, and we all let it happen...

Anyone mention the announcer in Soul Caliber yet? That guy is a strange line generator. I want to punch his face. His sentences hurt my mind.

"We're gonna burn your building down, you fuckheads. C18's watching you, you communist n*gger-loving Pak*."

Front Mission: Gun Hazard

"I hear its amazing when the famous purple stuffed worm in flap-jaw space with the tuning fork does a raw blink on Hari Kiri Rock. I need scissors! 61!"

- "Colonel Campbell" in MGS2

The greatest line ever.

Also from MGS2, "HANGING?!?!"

saw a video of some jrpg a few years back (thanks to gaf of course). it was full of sexual innuendo, ram rods. The dialouge was just hilarious.

http://youtu.be/JoODv8LVib8

Saved to my favorites many years ago.

Edit:

Ar Tonelico. Listened through again and its really amazing.

A small part:
"Aurica, this is my first time I can't be sure that I won't hurt you..."

"It's okay as long as it's you, I can take the pain..."

"...okay then turn around."

"Insert it into my back, like this..."

"It's okay! Push it all the way..."

I'm glad this exists.

Top Bottom