• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter 6 is releasing in 2023

it's all subjective, but the parrying system, amazing music/atmosphere, and animations certainly play into why people love it. Also, Moment 37.
I certainly love the game. It was a sight to behold in the arcades back in the day(I'm a certified old man), and it's probably the reason I have such high standards for animation in fighting games. It completely spoiled me. That said, it is difficult to see it as a "better" game by today's standards for street fighter. Not that it's Third Strike's fault, as it paved the way for further entries in the series the same way SF2 did for it, sales aside. I honest think, up to this point, every Street Fighter is genuinely better than it's predecessors. We'll see how SF6 shapes up in a few years, but the franchise has had a great track record of progressing forward and still keeping it's essence while also creating separate identities in each mainline title.

I played the hell out of New Generation, still do. The game isn’t as polished as 3rd Strike but NG, DI, and 3S are great in their own ways and much more varied than the all too frequent SF2 title updates.

Just because lots of people moved on to 3D fighters in the 90s doesn’t mean that people didn’t love and appreciate SF3 sans EVO moment 37.
Ah, the days when Sean was an axe murderer. How I miss them.

Last edited:

Fake

I played the hell out of New Generation, still do. The game isn’t as polished as 3rd Strike but NG, DI, and 3S are great in their own ways and much more varied than the all too frequent SF2 title updates.

Just because lots of people moved on to 3D fighters in the 90s doesn’t mean that people didn’t love and appreciate SF3 sans EVO moment 37.

The mix reception SF3 get have nothing to do with 3D at all.

"It's really weird how this completely glosses over a huge reason that 3rd strike especially was such a massive failure. The original 3 release Feb 4th 1997, with 2nd Impact (an incredibly broken revision) coming out in Sept 30th of the same year. 3rd strike then took another year and a half to release (May 12 1999), but you're asking arcade owners to pony up $2k+ for the 3rd edition of something you just tried to make them buy twice within the same year already as huge flops; both players and arcade owners (who had already been massively tightening their belts) passed. 2 was able to get away with quick but pricey new editions because it sold well; 3 didn't have that luxury, but released like it did.
Just shows how important characters are in a fighting game. A big complaint about SF3 was that so many of major core characters were missing. They did add Chun-Li for Third Strike but the damage has been done in the fans' eyes back then. Nowadays, with SF4 and SF5, it seems they want to include as many fan favorites as humanly possible."

Last edited:

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
honest think, up to this point, every Street Fighter is genuinely better than it's predecessors. We'll see how SF6 shapes up in a few years, but the franchise has had a great track record of progressing forward and still keeping it's essence while also creating separate identities in each mainline title.
TBH i'd agree but it feels like SFV bucked that trend, there's a lot of issues with that game even after the shitty launch

TBH i'd agree but it feels like SFV bucked that trend, there's a lot of issues with that game even after the shitty launch
What are the issues you have with it? I honestly wasn't even mad at it at launch, but right now I'd say with confidence that it's the best version of any street fighter that's ever released.

SSfox

What are the issues you have with it? I honestly wasn't even mad at it at launch, but right now I'd say with confidence that it's the best version of any street fighter that's ever released.
Agreed, when SFV released it was the only fighting game that i could play online and that has appealing enough gameplay to me to play it. This is the game that helped to start the generation for fighting games meanwhile MKX had aweful netcode and Tekken 7 was stuck to Japanese Arcades.

yurinka

The mix reception SF3 get have nothing to do with 3D at all.
In my arcades some people moved to 3D and saw 2D sprite games as something dated, others didn't like the cabinet being twice as expensive as the other 2D sprite based games and other players didn't like the new characters and missed classic characters from Street Fighter Alpha and specially SF2.

SFV started with no story mode and arcade, with high input lag, short of game modes and particularly single player content, relatively small amount of characters and some important network issues. That caused a low start in sales.

Over time they fixed most issues (excluding netcode, that now isn't totally fixed/perfect but is way better than it was at launch). Now is an excellent game with tons of characters, game mode and single player content, very well balanced gameplay, with low input lag, good enough netcode (but not top tier like SF6 or Guilty Gear Strive) and the best selling Capcom fighting game project ever.

Last edited:

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
V trigger makes the game more offensive focused than defensive focused which is fine for some people but i dislike it because i always found street fighter to be more of a defensive, careful game. It isn't as combo heavy as something like guilty gear but is more methodical, this also makes it easier to learn since you don't need to memorize super indepth combos
The online netcode isn't very good, it uses rollback but it's this really weird implemention that can cause some BS at times
SF6 seems to be bringing street fighter back into that defensive style of play though so i am very excited. I've been a fan of the franchise since 2018 and this new one seems like a really new identity for the franchise

Last edited:

yurinka

I think it will release in the summer despite how much of the game is complete
It was rated in Korea this week. I looked at the previous 8 Capcom Korean ratings and the average distance betwen rating and release is around 3.3 months. So a around late February release seems the most likely one, with a margin error of up to almost 2 months.

Most Street Fighters have been released in mid/late February and the beta looked like a pretty much shippable game, so I'm confident with a mid/late Q1 release.

Last edited:

Futaleufu

America Latina don't even know what SF3 it really is, only after that Ken pro player parry every single kick from Chun-li that people start to notice this game. People love to talk about SF3 on the internet because of that particular moment of the tournament, but SF3 was ignored for most part of the world.
We got all 3 SF3 games in our local arcade, most people were too busy playing KOF, Tekken and the Marvel VS games

Fake

We got all 3 SF3 games in our local arcade, most people were too busy playing KOF, Tekken and the Marvel VS games

KoF is huge popular here on arcades, the only fightning that was matching SF on arcades machines in their time, but when SF3 got launch was complety ignored by Marvel Super Heroes vs SF, Marvel vs Capcom and X-Men vs SF was super popular in his time.

Top Bottom