• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter IV: 1up/EGM Info (3d graphics, 2d game)

Kintaco

:( at the screenshots and at the 3D.

I wasn't even a fan of the first shot. Sad to see the sprites gone, but I can live with that if the game plays like previous SF games, although I highly doubt it will. This is not our father's (our) Street Fighter.

*pours malt liquor on the ground.

Who am I kidding? I'm still buying this.

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
Id say that if you want to see Capcom make more fighting games, supporting this one is a must, really

Fatghost

Gas Guzzler
Raging Spaniard said:
Id say that if you want to see Capcom make more fighting games, supporting this one is a must, really

I"ve been buying multiple copies of Capcom's 2D fighters for over a decade now. I think by now, if SF4 isn't the game I want, I'm not obligated to continue to support Capcom's fighters. If they fuck this up, SF is dead.

Aokage

Pretty nice guy (apart from the blue shadows thing...)
Please.

No DiMPS.

No Spike.

If you can't make it yourself, you go to Crafts & Meister. Or even goddamn Arika.

You hire Akiman and/or Kinu Nishimura to do the illustrations and new character design.

And at the very least, you let Neo_G, your salaried employee, direct it.

Please, Capcom. Please.

I think this shot looks pretty neat:

24415-noscale-sf4leaked1.jpg

The spectators look bad, and I hope the fireball effects don't end up being too "flashy" or out of place with the rest of the art style, but I think there's a lot of potential there. That pic looks like a videogame I'd like to play.

I have no issue with them moving the camera around during animations. As long as it's back in its proper position by the time a hurricane kick finishes up, how will it be detrimental? It could make the fights much more dynamic or cinematic than anything we've seen before.

Jirotrom

Aokage said:
Please.

No DiMPS.

No Spike.

If you can't make it yourself, you go to Crafts & Meister. Or even goddamn Arika.

You hire Akiman and/or Kinu Nishimura to do the illustrations and new character design.

And at the very least, you let Neo_G, your salaried employee, direct it.

Please, Capcom. Please.
its not DIMPS, why does everyone hate dimps so much...

DKnight said:
Did you miss this bit of info?

No, I didn't. But I don't translate "camera flourishes" as "rotating 2D plane."

I don't understand (besides the fact that this is NeoGAF) how people are jumping to such radical conclusions over three stinkin' screenshots. Especially gameplay assumptions. Until we read hands on impressions, I don't think anyone should pass judgement on the way SF4 plays.

People have been clamoring for screens/info for 2 months. Now, EARLY screens are released, and people are preparing to burn down Capcom. Nearly every 3D title looks better the longer it's in development, and this game is still 10 months or so away. But people aren't willing to wait and see.

If I were Capcom, or any other company, this type of reaction would prevent me from releasing early screens, ever.

Jirotrom

brendanrfoley said:
No, I didn't. But I don't translate "camera flourishes" as "rotating 2D plane."

I don't understand (besides the fact that this is NeoGAF) how people are jumping to such radical conclusions over three stinkin' screenshots. Especially gameplay assumptions. Until we read hands on impressions, I don't think anyone should pass judgement on the way SF4 plays.

People have been clamoring for screens/info for 2 months. Now, EARLY screens are released, and people are preparing to burn down Capcom. Nearly every 3D title looks better the longer it's in development, and this game is still 10 months or so away. But people aren't willing to wait and see.

If I were Capcom, or any other company, this type of reaction would prevent me from releasing early screens, ever.
I agree wityh you completely.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
brendanrfoley said:

You raise a good point across the board.

However, this is mother fucking Street Fighter IV. This series is a crown jewel of gaming. Your shit better look right when you show it or prepare for hell. I'm sure Capcom has done so. At least, I hope they did. If you're prepared to show shots of a game in this series, you better take the good with the bad. If not? Don't show it.

Any other new IP or lesser series, I'd be 100% behind you. But this isn't a normal series. This is the King Pimp Godfather of the fighting game genre. Given what little nuggets of info that's come out from Capcom and rumors, it doesn't surprise me at all that people wouldn't be pleased.

This isn't a criticism per say... but considering how iconic SF2 is, and how beautifully SF3 played... I'm not sure any title will live up to expectations.

Shoryuken

ConsumerSquare said:
I think this shot looks pretty neat:

24415-noscale-sf4leaked1.jpg

The spectators look bad, and I hope the fireball effects don't end up being too "flashy" or out of place with the rest of the art style, but I think there's a lot of potential there. That pic looks like a videogame I'd like to play.

I have no issue with them moving the camera around during animations. As long as it's back in its proper position by the time a hurricane kick finishes up, how will it be detrimental? It could make the fights much more dynamic or cinematic than anything we've seen before.

I agree. The automatic combos are a bit worrying, but I'll hold judgement until I see them in action.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
I'm pretty sure the supreme amount of bitching in Street Fighter HD and Street Fighter 4 threads has very little to do with the quality of the projects themselves, and far more to do with the mindsets of SF fans.

BocoDragon said:
I'm pretty sure the supreme amount of bitching in Street Fighter HD and Street Fighter 4 threads has very little to do with the quality of the projects themselves, and far more to do with the mindsets of SF fans.

It has everything to do with the quality of the project.

yurinka

Sven: Just wait until you've seen it in motion... it's all about the animations and as great as it looks in stills, screenshots do not do SF4 justice.
http://www.capcom.com/BBS/showpost.php?p=438091&postcount=60
I want to believe...

Sven: As I've previously stated, Capcom Japan is handling the development of this game. Ono-san is the producer.
http://www.capcom.com/BBS/showpost.php?p=439024&postcount=8
Remember, reconfirmed today: Dimps and Spike aren't developing SFIV. Capcom of Japan is developing internally the game.

jooey

The Motorcycle That Wouldn't Slow Down
_leech_ said:
It has everything to do with the quality of the project.
then why bet so much on far-from-finished products? see, it actually is the mindset.

Doc Holliday

SPOILER: Columbus finds America
In Capcom I trust! Remember people this is Street Fighter 4!!! 4! Not EX, not Alpha, not Super duper Turbo Championship etc etc.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Sven: Just wait until you've seen it in motion... it's all about the animations and as great as it looks in stills, screenshots do not do SF4 justice.

*looks at the screenshots*

Obviously. :lol

If they don't do the game justice, don't release the shots. Period. I mean, come on.

Tenbatsu said:
Capcom hasn't done anything to prove they can make a good fighting game for the past eight years, hope this can....

Considering Street Fighter 3 still surpasses many fighting games today, I'm ok with this fact.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
So uh... yeah, I finally got unbanned. My Questions & Answers

What do I think of these screenshots?
Well, the first screen that was released looked avarage at first. Then during the day, it turned out pretty awesome. Then the other two screens showed up and... well, I just don't know what to say. I believe that Capcom actually knows what they're doing, I mean... it's a NEW STREET FIGHTER GAME.

Does this look possible on the Wii?
Considering the screenshots graphics, yes. This is most definitely possible on the Wii. I however think that these graphics aren't even half done. The game will look better than the screens, just look at them.

What about the Parry system?
I just think it's a pity that it's gone. But as I said before, I think Capcom knows what they're doing.

Tenbatsu said:
Capcom hasn't done anything to prove they can make a good fighting game for the past eight years, hope this can....

Powerstone and Viewtiful Joe, remember them. This game is going to rock, I know it. Fuck all you over pampered gamer analysts, this game is going to be fun, no doubt about it.

LegendofJoe said:
Powerstone and Viewtiful Joe, remember them. This game is going to rock, I know it. Fuck all you over pampered gamer analysts, this game is going to be fun, no doubt about it.
Fighting games?

And Powerstone is more than 8 years old.

doomed1 said:
so, just curious, but if this is a Wii game, would anyone's impressions on the graphics change?

Sure, I'd wonder why the hell they didn't go with a 640 x 480 px 2d game since they could get away with it on Wii (somewhat loose 720p mandates on PS3 and 360 games).

NeonZ

Does this look possible on the Wii?
Considering the screenshots graphics, yes. This is most definitely possible on the Wii. I however think that these graphics aren't even half done. The game will look better than the screens, just look at them.

Eh... I disagree. Don't you see the shading on Ryu's arms? If that's actually real time processed, it seems beyond anything I've seen on the Wii. But, yes, at least, in its current state, scaling it to the Wii shouldn't be hard.

brendanrfoley said:

Good, don't fucking do it then especially for a game like SFIV. First of all, you KNOW that this is probably going to draw in the most attention and hype after your company has failed to acknowledge SFIV even after you know fans have been screaming for one for years now. You cannot show a game of this magnitude in poor form. Now if thats just how the game is going to look then thats fine, but if there will be MAJOR improvements to the graphical quality of the game (which I doubt and pretty much considers most of the ranting in this post null) then there is absolutely no reason at all to show this game off at a time where its basically come from far out of left field anyway. Seriously NO one was EVER expecting SFIV. So obviously if your going to show it, make sure its not in a form that would receive this type of reception.

camineet

Banned
it looks very very early. imagine getting a look at Street Fighter II in late 1989 or early 1990, a year or more before SFII's release (which was Feb 1991).

the list of rumors was encouraging.

http://www.destructoid.com/rumor-new-info-and-pictures-from-street-fighter-iv-leaked-58045.phtml

The graphics aren't the way they are in the teaser that everyone watched.

thank God.

The game's still pretty, but it has nothing of that ink-splashing or anything. Art direction is interesting. Unlike all the other 3D fighters, SFIV is not meant to be photo realistic.

good!

Street Fighter IV runs at 60 frames per second.

yay!

Street Fighter IV will have online play.

okay. cool if done right.

The game takes place after Super Street Fighter II Turbo and before SFIII. The good news is that the character roster will be made of many old-school brawlers and some entirely new ones. There are two new girls on the list. We will probably not see any SFIII characters.
YES! YES! YES! YES !

The stage you saw at 1Up, if you didn't figure out, is Chun-Li's Stage from SF2.

Yeah baby!

The excellent Parry system form SFIII is gone.

exellent. because while SFIII gameplay was good for SFIII, it won't be for SFIV.

The new system seems to be called Saving or Revenge (we're not sure about the name). We don't know exactly how it works, but it's built around cancels. And we do know we'll have another gauge to activate the Saving/Revenge stuff, besides the usual Super Gauge.

interesting.

Supers are there (although they didn't decide yet if it will be like in SSF2T or SFIII), and now they've put another moves called Ultras. These makes your character throws a auto combo with tons of moves. It's like a custom combo ... except by the custom part.

anything that's more like SFII or even SSF2T is better than SFIII (IMO)

Shen Long may appear in the game. We are NOT kidding.

April Fools? otherwise, woozers

The consoles are not decided yet, really. But, assuming that SFIV will have online play, we can obviously think of Xbox 360 and PS3 (duh). It's very likely that we'll see an arcade version without online mode too, and our sources told us that Capcom could put some test machines in Japan arcades in Q2 next year.

Arcade, Good!

:lol at those who think this game is possible on wii. :lol at those who also say the poly count is LOW!!!! wtf? do you guys not see the individually rendered tile shingles? there are sooooooooo many little details in the background.

nitewulf

seriously, they couldn't just do high res 2d ala guilty gear? how expensive could that be if arc systems could pull it off. with the massive sales of capcom's 360 games...they dont have enough money to do smooth high res 2d artwork?

this doesn't look too bad, but its not really gonna be a mainline sf game, you can pretty much tell. its not an evolution of 3rd strike...rather a side-game.

dankir

nitewulf said:
seriously, they couldn't just do high res 2d ala guilty gear? how expensive could that be if arc systems could pull it off. with the massive sales of capcom's 360 games...they dont have enough money to do smooth high res 2d artwork?

this doesn't look too bad, but its not really gonna be a mainline sf game, you can pretty much tell. its not an evolution of 3rd strike...rather a side-game.

Wow are you even reading what your typing out.

Its Street Fighter 4.... what came before that Street Fighter 3. Therefore by the process of logical deduction IT IS A MAIN Street Fighter game.

camineet

Banned
I'll bet Street Fighter II didn't look too hot in 1989 when it was in development.

that's like looking at SFIV now, a year or more before its finished.

From Brazilian Blogeek:

E O SITE CONTINUA FORA DO AR. O BICHO PEGOU PRO NOSSO LADO.

A INTENÇÃO NÃO ERA PREJUDICAR NINGUÉM. COMO TODO OS SITES E BLOGS DE NOTÍCIAS, NOSSA INTENÇÃO ERA APENAS PASSAR INFORMAÇÕES O MAIS RÁPIDO POSSÍVEL PARA OS QUE SE INTERESSAM POR DETERMINADO ASSUNTO.

APENAS PARA ESCLARECER, NÃO TINHAMNOS CONTRATO DE NDA NENHUM, E MUITO MENOS INVADIMOS QUALQUER COISA QUE SEJA DA ZIFF DAVIS PARA CONSEGUIR AS IMAGENS. UMA FONTE VEIO E NOS PASSOU ALGUMAS INFORMAÇÕES E DUAS FOTOS, E NÓS PUBLICAMOS.

EMBORA AINDA ACHAMOS QUE NÃO DEVEMOS FAZER ISSO, PEDIMOS DESCULPAS A QUEM QUER QUE TENHA SIDO PREJUDICADO POR ESSA HISTÓRIA.

A ZIFF DAVIS CONTINUA NOS AMEAÇANDO, E ESTAMOS COM MEDO, É CLARO. POR ENQUANTO, É ISSO.

THE SITE'S STILL DOWN.

IT WAS NOT OUR INTENTION TO MESS WITH ANYONE. LIKE EVERY NEWS SITE AND BLOG, WE JUST WANTED TO PASS INFORMATION AS SOON AS POSSIBLE FOR THOSE WHO HAVE INTEREST FOR ANY SUBJECT.

JUT TO CLARIFY, WE DIDN'T HAVE ANY NDA, AND FAR LESS WE WOULD HACK ANYTHING FROM ZIFF DAVIS. A SOURCE CAME TO US AND PASSED SOME INFOS AND THE TWO PICTURES, AND WE PUBLISHED THEM.

ALTHOUGH WE STILL DON'T THINK WE SHOULD, WE REALLY WANT TO APOLOGIZE TO ANYONE WHO GOT HURT WITH THE INCIDENT.

ZIFF DAIVS IS STILL THREATENING US, AND WE ARE REALLY AFRAID, OF COURSE.

THAT'S ALL.

http://www.blogeek.com.br/

Top Bottom