• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter IV: 1up/EGM Info (3d graphics, 2d game)

plaguis

YYZ said:
Maybe people are also forgetting about lack of online robustness on the Wii. Also what % of the Wii audience is going to buy street fighter when it's largely the hardcore that will get it, the hardcore who VERY likely also have a 360 or PS3 along with a Wii. This game is being developed for HD first and foremost.

A SF title being developed to mainly demo the wonders of 1080p HD... great!
This game could still look gorgeous in 480p

Online robustness? Since when has SF been about online gameplay?

The hardest of hardcore would reject any console version of SF.

Crusade

D.Lo said:
Totally agree with all you said here.

Obviously can't pass final judgement until the game actually comes out, but right now I don't like any of what's been revealed. Hopefully they re-name it without the IV later, as some new EX level spin off. 3D=fail - not because I don't like 3D fighters, but because this looks bad (reminds me of EX3) and other companies have been perfecting 3D fighters for many years longer.
It's not a 3D fighter. It's a 2D fighter with 3D visuals.

ant1532

Banned
Ugh, not I what I was expecting at all. I was really hoping for just some crazy fluid sprites and animation superior to 3rd Strike that would blow minds but I'm not going to call judgment until I see video footage.

plaguis

Son of Godzilla said:
I know for certain that it won't look better in motion than how it should.

GBA port confirmed.

I'd assume the biggest problem to a Wii port is it'd require new models instead of the standard chucking out frames the other inferior ports of 2d versions got.

Lets not be silly now. A GBA version would be impossible, but Id say a PSP and DS version (no matter how scaled down) would be a good idea.
A Wii version is certainly not impossible. If its an inferior port then so be it, but at least as many people as possible would enjoy the game.
As things stand, I think this could be the least successful SF game ever. And that includes the VS spin offs.

DarkSloth

D.Lo said:
Totally agree with all you said here.

Obviously can't pass final judgement until the game actually comes out, but right now I don't like any of what's been revealed. Hopefully they re-name it without the IV later, as some new EX level spin off. 3D=fail - not because I don't like 3D fighters, but because this looks bad (reminds me of EX3) and other companies have been perfecting 3D fighters for many years longer.
Seriously, I'm hoping that they call this Street Fighter vs. Street Fighter. Put in all the characters they want and do whatever. That way everyone is happy, and I could still get the SF4 that was suppose to happen. Okay, I think i'm probably going too far. This could still be a great game, and hopefully capcom makes refinments and great changes to the fighting system. It is just a shame that the beautiful 2D sprites had to go. I don't see a new sprite based Street Fighter coming after this.

Mar

Anyone who knows my post history knows that I'd be the last to defend 3D. But 3D in a 2D perspective can work, it's just incredibly rare that it does. Thankfully one of the best transitions from pure 2D to 3D/2D perspective, Ultimate Ghosts n Goblins, was done by Capcom. So I have faith.

orioto

Good Art™
For those who say it may be a remake of II, doesn't Ryu seem older here ? It may be the light, but his hait seems gray.

And, even if it doesn't look soul calibur 4/next gen level of render like that, i think it could need horse power the same, as it could be 60 i/s, with apparently lot of characters animated in the background.

Now, i don't really believe this game could achieve the same level of playability and responsivity of Third Strike. Even if they make a great job, which isn't certain for now, it's just not possible...

Ydahs

1UP has the game listed for PS3, 360 and arcade. Looks unlikely it'd be on Wii or any other platform. Unless that is just a place holder... Though they do have exclusive info on the game, so they are likely to be correct.

Grayman

ant1532 said:
Ugh, not I what I was expecting at all. I was really hoping for just some crazy fluid sprites and animation superior to 3rd Strike that would blow minds but I'm not going to call judgment until I see video footage.
Doesn't it cost like one hundred trillion dollars to do a sprite based game with animation above 3S though? I would love to get that but it wasn't realistic to expect it.

plaguis

Anyanka said:
Not in America. Far more hardcore fighting game players are playing on console then in an arcade now.
I specifically meant hardcore Street Fighter fans.
Arcade experience (which is long gone) vs Online experience..
Arcade stick vs PS3 D-Pad...

Crusade

plaguis said:
Thats exactly what EX was
Visuals had little to do with why that game was bad. And it's a different time entirely. 3D could not be done as fluidly as 2D then, it can now. More fluidly infact

Don't judge a book by it's cover

MMaRsu

Banned
Ydahs said:
1UP has the game listed for PS3, 360 and arcade. Looks unlikely it'd be on Wii or any other platform. Unless that is just a place holder... Though they do have exclusive info on the game, so they are likely to be correct.

Placeholder. 1up said so itself.

Anyanka

plaguis said:
I specifically meant hardcore Street Fighter fans.
Arcade experience (which is long gone) vs Online experience..
Arcade stick vs PS3 D-Pad...

Yes, hardcore SF fans play on console now in America. The largest fighting game tournament in the US is console only.

Anyway, YYZ's point about hardcore gamers already having a 360 didn't mean hardcore fighting game fan. The kind of gamer who travels to tournaments. Just gamer in general.

D.Lo

Crusade said:
It's not a 3D fighter. It's a 2D fighter with 3D visuals.
Guess what - so was Street Fighter EX.

And given that shot is from an angled perspective, with Ryu having feet clearly in different planes, I doubt very much they will manage to keep it purely 2D. If they are going for 2D with 3D graphics, it will most likely play exactly like EX - ie feel like a slightly gimped version of Tekken 2 with projectiles.

Crusade

Mar_ said:
Anyone who knows my post history knows that I'd be the last to defend 3D. But 3D in a 2D perspective can work, it's just incredibly rare that it does. Thankfully one of the best transitions from pure 2D to 3D/2D perspective, Ultimate Ghosts n Goblins, was done by Capcom. So I have faith.
Don't forget Viewtiful Joe

plaguis

Ydahs said:

This is a good move. Hope Wii sees some of the action too.. it would be an inferior version but only slightly inferior. Theres no real reason why it cant share some of the love.. perhaps as a classic controller mandatory wiiware title?

Grayman

Ydahs said:
They claim to not have info from capcom and they just guessed based on the image quality that it would only be on those systems.

I think the capcom blog posted pictures of them playing it but I didn't look at what controllers were in their hands.

Crusade

D.Lo said:

And given that shot is from an angled perspective, with Ryu having feet clearly in different planes, I doubt very much they will manage to keep it purely 2D. If they are going for 2D with 3D graphics, it will most likely play exactly like EX - ie feel like a slightly gimped version of Tekken 2 with projectiles.
Any more assumptions you'd like to share?

plaguis

D.Lo said:

In todays market, I think Capcom would probably think going all out 2D as too much of a risk. Shame.

D.Lo

Crusade said:
Don't forget Viewtiful Joe
Ok, I'll give you this one. VJ did manage 2D/3D perfectly. So the idea itself is not entirely without merit, but unfortunately, this looks nothing like that.

NeonZ

D.Lo said:

In EX, the fighters used a 2d plane, but impact and animations were clearly using the same style of 3d fighters of the time, rather than 2d ones. There's no reason to assume that will be the case here too. His feet being in different planes don't prove anything, considering how that's just a matter of animation rather than (necessarily) gameplay.

plaguis

Anyanka said:
Yes, hardcore SF fans play on console now in America. The largest fighting game tournament in the US is console only.

Anyway, YYZ's point about hardcore gamers already having a 360 didn't mean hardcore fighting game fan. The kind of gamer who travels to tournaments. Just gamer in general.

Hardcore SF fans would be purists. They'd prefer the arcade experience and nothing else. They would buy a cabinet or build a MAME system just to play SF at home.

Crusade

plaguis said:
Hardcore SF fans would be purists. They'd prefer the arcade experience and nothing else. They would buy a cabinet or build a MAME system just to play SF at home.
Don't be ridiculous

plaguis

Crusade said:
Don't be ridiculous
How is this ridiclious?

Your hardcore SF fan isnt necessarily the same as a hardcore XBOX 360 or PS3 fan.

Which leads me to ask, who is this game aimed at? The SF fan who enjoyed SF2, SF3, Alpha series in the arcade/home console, or is it aimed at a new audience, not so familiar with SF - The fans of Tekken, VF etc?

This project is curious.

plaguis

Son of Godzilla said:
He's already assuming this game will be less popular than Stree Fighter: The Movie, I think your order is out of the question.
Oh Gosh! I forgot about that abomination!

Anyanka

plaguis said:
How is this ridiclious?

Your hardcore SF fan isnt necessarily the same as a hardcore XBOX 360 or PS3 fan.

Which leads me to ask, who is this game aimed at? The SF fan who enjoyed SF2, SF3, Alpha series in the arcade/home console, or is it aimed at a new audience, not so familiar with SF - The fans of Tekken, VF etc?

This project is curious.

:lol It's ridiculous because like 5 people in the entire country would buy a SF IV arcade board.

Even among the US fighting game community console is the standard now. Like I said...even the biggest fighting game tournament in the US is console only. SF III is being played on PS2. Of course everybody loves the old arcade era but it's accepted that it's dying.

What are you talking about? EVERYBODY likes Street Fighter. Fans of Tekken, VF, DOA, ect. still remember and love SF II.

Crusade

plaguis said:
How is this ridiclious?

This project is curious.
Says who? What you think Street Fighter fans are some secluded breed of fanboy who wake up from hybernation only for Street Fighter games, and spend their time building home-made Street Fighter cabinets?:lol

They are gamers, SF fans play games in general. And Street Fighter is not some small-time niche franchise. It was absolutely massive, one of the biggest franchises ever only 10 years ago. It's not so popular now, but the name has a huge legacy behind it. I think Tekken and VF fans would have a good idea what it is.

Aaron

plaguis said:
If I'd hazard a guess, it's the thousands of people that made the online version of SF2 one of the biggest sellers on XBLA. Yeah, they're familiar.

Mama Smurf

My penis is still intact.
That looks awesome. I don't think I've played a Street Fighter since the SNES (well...not properly, the odd demo disc), but this definitely has me interested.

plaguis

Anyanka said:
:
What are you talking about? EVERYBODY likes Street Fighter. Fans of Tekken, VF, DOA, ect. still remember and love SF II.

Yeah, we are all old enough to remember when SF2 was released, but im sure theres a whole generation of current games to whom the series slipped by!

ant1532

Banned
D.Lo said:

It will most likely only be used for attacks which can animate in a 3D plane but won't have an effect on the gameplay(like doing a hurricane kick would look pretty cool.) Or I hope that is the least of the effect...

plaguis

Crusade said:
Says who? What you think Street Fighter fans are some secluded breed of fanboy who wake up from hybernation only for Street Fighter games, and spend their time building home-made Street Fighter cabinets?:lol

They are gamers, SF fans play games in general. And Street Fighter is not some small-time niche franchise. It was absolutely massive, one of the biggest franchises ever only 10 years ago. It's not so popular now, but the name has a huge legacy behind it. I think Tekken and VF fans would have a good idea what it is.

Oh I agree, but im saying the SF purist would prefer this game be released in the arcade first and not be so console focused.
If there is an arcade version of this, then great. If its PS3 and or 360 exclusive, not so great.

YYZ

plaguis said:
A SF title being developed to mainly demo the wonders of 1080p HD... great!
This game could still look gorgeous in 480p

Online robustness? Since when has SF been about online gameplay?

The hardest of hardcore would reject any console version of SF.
720p, 60fps is my guess, especially considering their emphasis on the hand-drawn look and it's a fighting game.

Did you see the video with the Capcom dude? Did you hear all the things they said they're doing with SFII Turbo HD? I think online will be a big component. Seems like they're appealing to that kind of audience.

My point was that if you're interested in this game and you own a Wii, chances are you'll own at least a 360. I don't recall Street Fighter appealing to casual gamers.

I'm pulling an all-nighter so excuse me for the incoherence.

Crusade

plaguis said:
Yeah, we are all old enough to remember when SF2 was released, but im sure theres a whole generation of current games to whom the series slipped by!
I'd say anyone who was alive in the 90s would know Street Fighter, I'm sure a bunch of 7 - 8 year olds who may possibly (but probably not) be ignorant of Street Fighter are going to be of much concern

plaguis

Mama Smurf said:
That looks awesome. I don't think I've played a Street Fighter since the SNES (well...not properly, the odd demo disc), but this definitely has me interested.

You've missed out on the VS series and SF3?

plaguis

YYZ said:
720p, 60fps is my guess, especially considering their emphasis on the hand-drawn look and it's a fighting game.

Did you see the video with the Capcom dude? Did you hear all the things they said they're doing with SFII Turbo HD? I think online will be a big component. Seems like they're appealing to that kind of audience.

My point was that if you're interested in this game and you own a Wii, chances are you'll own at least a 360. I don't recall Street Fighter appealing to casual gamers.

I'm pulling an all-nighter so excuse me for the incoherence.

Say what?

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Anyone beating their console drum to get this on their platform of choice needs to be shot. This game needs to head to arcades first and foremost.

plaguis

Mama Smurf said:
Hey Man you should really explore those games. Theres some awesome installments you have missed. Installments that all supass this SF4 (from what we know of it).

Top Bottom