• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V Beta 2 Thread: Welcome, future 21007s! Now on PC!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Game is fun as hell.

For some reason, I got to play for several hours yesterday, even after they tweeted about shutting the servers down.

Even with a characters I have no intention of maining (Vega and Ken), it was really exciting trying to outthink my opponent...rather than fight preplanned setups and OS's.

Toward the end, since most people probably got kicked off, I got rematches against the same couple of players over and over. And, we kept adapting and counter adapting to each other in subsequent matches.

It wasn't about combos, it's was all about movement, spacing, frame advantage, baiting, anti-airing...it was really fun. Stayed up till 6 AM.
that's the impressions I want to hear.

I don't care about nerfs/buffs, I just don't want to go through having to learn each and every character's mix-up tricks, just to stand a chance at solid defense. Too time consuming.

Mizerman

• No FADC
  • No goofy ass backdashes
  • Did I mention no FADC?
  • No FADC.
  • I mean it.

That's why I want to play SFV.

Game is fun as hell.

For some reason, I got to play for several hours yesterday, even after they tweeted about shutting the servers down.

Even with a characters I have no intention of maining (Vega and Ken), it was really exciting trying to outthink my opponent...rather than fight preplanned setups and OS's.

Toward the end, since most people probably got kicked off, I got rematches against the same couple of players over and over. And, we kept adapting and counter adapting to each other in subsequent matches.

It wasn't about combos, it's was all about movement, spacing, frame advantage, baiting, anti-airing...it was really fun. Stayed up till 6 AM.

Sounds good. Long as I'm getting any enjoyment from this game, I'll be satisfied.

• No FADC
  • No goofy ass backdashes
  • Did I mention no FADC?
  • No FADC.
  • I mean it.
I liked FADC, gave some cool combo options and they fixed the thing most people hated about it which was srks being -1 on block ( i think it was -1 for most) and made them -5 on block. FA was what sucked.

I liked FADC, gave some cool combo options and they fixed the thing most people hated about it which was srks being -1 on block ( i think it was -1 for most) and made them -5 on block. FA was what sucked.
The problem with FADCs is they let people neutralize footsies tension. It let people back off from heat too easily, leading to more defensive play. In SFV, there's a huge risk involved in backing off, since you have no invincible back-up options.

FACE

Banned
The problem with FADCs is they let people neutralize footsies tension. It let people back off from heat too easily, leading to more defensive play. In SFV, there's a huge risk involved in backing off, since you have no invincible back-up options.

And focus attacks are pretty stupid.

pizzacat

Banned
Yo anyone who hates FAs and other things that make IV, IV, should really play sfiv remix mod.

Turns it into full on anime pretty fun

vulva

I like defensive play though :(

Gbraga

I don't think SF IV has really been a defensive game ever since Super.

I liked FADC as well. But whatever, I never wanted it back, new game, new mechanics. I'd be disappointed if FADC was back, even if I like it.

I will miss tighter links though. I still can't accept that you can just mash your links. That desk video was disgusting.

You have to waste two meters to back off, I think it's a fair trade. Plus the problem was more or less invincible back dashes (that went really far for some) and a lot of invincible reversal options (and reversal window was huge so you could mash). But I assume the reversal window was large so you could armor break FA on wakeup or w/e..
I don't think SF IV has really been a defensive game ever since Super.

I liked FADC as well. But whatever, I never wanted it back, new game, new mechanics. I'd be disappointed if FADC was back, even if I like it.

I will miss tighter links though. I still can't accept that you can just mash your links. That desk video was disgusting.
I never had great execution but I do miss the option to attempt swag combos. That's a fun part of fighting games for me that I don't want to see go away.

You have to waste two meters to back off, I think it's a fair trade. Plus the problem was more or less invincible back dashes (that went really far for some) and a lot of invincible reversal options (and reversal window was huge so you could mash). But I assume the reversal window was large so you could armor break FA on wakeup or w/e..

They had to have invincible backdashes so characters like Vega or Sim without real reversals wouldn't auto-lose to chaining meaty focus attacks.

I'm starting to think beta testing has been a huge mistake.

On paper, it's REALLY awesome that Capcom is doing this. But, the FGC really doesn't have the right mentality for it.

People have gotten way too accustomed to being closely involved with the development process...to the point that we're taking it for granted.

Most FG companies don't do anything even REMOTELY as inclusive and transparent as this. Hell, ArcSys, for example, barely even acknowledges its overseas audience (Exhibit A: that character poll they administered exclusively in Japanese arcades that get Dizzy in the game). Most Japanese FG companies don't give a crap about their western audiences until it's time to release the port, and here Capcom is actively engaging multiple parts of the world for feedback before the game is finished.

If there had been no beta, no worldwide exposure to the game, no first hand knowledge of the constant "nerfs" and "buffs" that commonly happen in ALL fighting games pre release, people wouldn't be whining about any of this. No one would be complaining about Ryu losing a few combos here and there. People would still be going bonkers over the fact that Ryu has a parry. OMG Zangief has a vacuum and an air SPD! Vega isn't charge anymore! Mika has a frickin' assist!? This game is OUTRAGEOUS!!!

But, instead, here we are calling the game "boring" because some combos from a previous built don't work anymore.

All perspective has been lost.

If you get hit during a back dash does it count as a counter hit? Last night I got caught by Ken's st. HK while back dashing and it caused a critical counter. Although that really stood out to me, I forgot to test that out in the training mode. Anybody know whether this is true or not?

Skilletor

That doesn't fix what I wanted, which was letting me punish your stupid upper. You should lose life for mistakes, not meter.

If you get hit during a back dash does it count as a counter hit? Last night I got caught by Ken's st. HK while back dashing and it caused a critical counter. Although that really stood out to me, I forgot to test that out in the training mode. Anybody know whether this is true or not?

It did last beta. I haven't played the most recent one.

On paper, it's REALLY awesome that Capcom is doing this. But, the FGC really doesn't have the right mentality for it.

People have gotten way too accustomed to being closely involved with the development process...to the point that we're taking it for granted.

Most FG companies don't do anything even REMOTELY as inclusive and transparent as this. Hell, ArcSys, for example, barely even acknowledges its overseas audience (Exhibit A: that character poll they administered exclusively in Japanese arcades). Most Japanese companies don't give a crap about their western audiences until it's time to release the port, and here Capcom is actively engaging multiple parts of the world for feedback before the game is finished.

If there had been no beta, no worldwide exposure to the game, no first hand knowledge of the constant "nerfs" and "buffs" that commonly happen in ALL fighting games pre release, people wouldn't be whining about any of this. No one would be complaining about Ryu losing a few combos here and there. People would still be going bonkers over the fact that Ryu has a parry. OMG Zangief has a vacuum and an air SPD! Vega isn't charge anymore! Mika has a frickin' assist!? This game is OUTRAGEOUS!!!

But, instead, here we are calling the game "boring" because some combos from a previous built don't work anymore.

I completely agree.

Zissou

Fairly certain that getting hit during a backdash registers as a CH.

Most FG companies don't do anything even REMOTELY as inclusive and transparent as this. Hell, ArcSys, for example, barely even acknowledges its overseas audience (Exhibit A: that character poll they administered exclusively in Japanese arcades). Most Japanese companies don't give a crap about their western audiences until it's time to release the port, and here Capcom is actively engaging multiple parts of the world for feedback before the game is finished.

SF fans are like FF they panic whenever a new entry is released. Don't give it much thought.

Mizerman

Most FG companies don't do anything even REMOTELY as inclusive and transparent as this. Hell, ArcSys, for example, barely even acknowledges its overseas audience (Exhibit A: that character poll they administered exclusively in Japanese arcades that get Dizzy in the game). Most Japanese FG companies don't give a crap about their western audiences until it's time to release the port, and here Capcom is actively engaging multiple parts of the world for feedback before the game is finished.

It was going to happen, one way or another. Best not to worry too much about it.

Ploid 3.0

Edit: Changed my mind.

On the beta stuff, it's something people have to get used to. Expect to be testing netcode, and the feel of abilities/animations instead of balance, because most companies have an idea of how they want to balance things via controlled testing. Otherwise a good Dan player that wipes the floor with everyone could probably tilt the scales in getting him nerfed. Like early grapple characters, it takes a long time for the community to learn how to counter them. Also who knows, maybe capcom could be testing how people will play pokes are elbow distances one beta weekend, for science.

Coda

I can agree with this, I still think considering how the first beta went we definitely needed them so Capcom could work out their network issues. All and all I think people will complain less once the game is released and people are having fun with it.

I think Capcom needed the beta for marketing purposes along with finetuning their netcode. Because SFV's longevity highly depends on how stable it will be online.

Honestly SFV advertising budget feels slim, we haven't gotten any CG trailers like we did for SF4, SFxT, and MvC3...

I think Capcom needed the beta for marketing purposes along with finetuning their netcode. Because SFV's longevity highly depends on how stable it will be online.

Honestly SFV advertising budget feels slim, we haven't gotten any CG trailers like we did for SF4, SFxT, and MvC3...

The menu is esports now lol it feels weird like the game literally feels like a service.. I mean capcom did poundered about F2P but based Ono saved us.

Skilletor

I'd think it's because they're spending money on things like an entirely new delivery method for fighters, pots for tournaments, and beta testing.

ACE 1991

I'm hoping there will be a good influx of new players when this drops. The hori kai I ordered comes in on Friday, and I'll definitely be playing the beta, but the best way to get better would be to play USF4 until 5 drops, right?

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
I'm hoping there will be a good influx of new players when this drops. The hori kai I ordered comes in on Friday, and I'll definitely be playing the beta, but the best way to get better would be to play USF4 until 5 drops, right?

SFV kinda sits in a weird space. It feels more like Super Street Fighter 2 than it does IV.

Coda

For fundamentals yes but otherwise they both feel very different.

Skilletor

SF3 or Alpha 3, imo. Borrows a lot from both. Flow of the game feels more like 3.

tribal24

Banned

Yeah I agree this can make capcom start tweaking around stuff that doesn't need it. I'm wondering how much balance updates they're planning for 2016 alone.

You gotta realize though. The Street Fighter IP is actually owned by Capcom USA. Not Capcom Japan.

VariantX

I still think it was a good idea in the long run, so Capcom finally could deliver a game with excellent netcode on day one and not day 50, 100, or 200. All those character changes are fluid and will continue to be fluid after release as the game gets updates every so often.

pizzacat

Banned

If capcom was making this on their own there probably wouldn't be a beta

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores

Nobody really knows how to play the game yet, so I wouldn't worry about it. I'm glad the beta test is working out issues so that online play will be at a better place on day one than it would have been without a test.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom