• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V - Dhalsim Trailer

Crisium

You can't hate the game for having old characters. The days of 3S with only 4 out of 19 returning are over. SFV has 12 of 16 returning.

Love the beard and happy to see sim is returning, have always enjoyed being on either side of his zoning game.

Gonna assume 3s fans are furious "cuz necro is way better" or something.

So like the way Dhalsim looked originally made him look like a corpse monster right? So the idea was that his opponents would be so afraid of him that they wouldn't want to fight him, which is consistent with his views of pacifism. Also I got the impression that he barely wore any clothes because they're a fire hazard. It's not like it's a cultural thing because everyone else in his village including his wife dresses like a human and not a corpse monster.

Did I just make that up to justify his design to myself? Or is that a thing? Because a friendly Santa beard and turbin ruin that.

I guess what I'm saying is that say what you want about say Ken's redesign, him dressing in more high tech athletic gear makes sense for his character. This not so much. You could say that Sim can't help getting older (like Bison) but uh... he could just keep shaving.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
So like the way Dhalsim looked originally made him look like a corpse monster right? So the idea was that his opponents would be so afraid of him that they wouldn't want to fight him, which is consistent with his views of pacifism. Also I got the impression that he barely wore any clothes because they're a fire hazard. It's not like it's a cultural thing because everyone else in his village including his wife dresses like a human and not a corpse monster.

Did I just make that up to justify his design to myself? Or is that a thing? Because a friendly Santa beard and turbin ruin that.

Both of his designs just look like an Indian Sadhu to me.

I guess what I'm saying is that say what you want about say Ken's redesign, him dressing in more high tech athletic gear makes sense for his character. This not so much. You could say that Sim can't help getting older (like Bison) but uh... he could just keep shaving.
His flames aren't real. They are a trick, if his win quote in IV is anything to go by.

"My flames are an illusion. They will only burn if you believe them to be real."

His flames aren't real. They are a trick, if his win quote in IV is anything to go by.

"My flames are an illusion. They will only burn if you believe them to be real."
That's really cool! Although it does fit with the "looking scarier to fool people" thing. He's like Batman! But less violent and crazy. But with more dead children.

Toxi

Banned
I love how everyone was down on Dhalsim and then this trailer came out and showed us how awesome Dhalsim can be.

Jetman

Saw this thread and instantly said "Dhalsim? F that shit" out loud.

<Opened thread> Well, at least he looks a little different and has a beard.

Most of the other characters like Mika, Karin, and Rashid looked fun to play in the reveals. Dhalsim looked slow, plodding, and boring.

He is.

Skilletor

Saw this thread and instantly said "Dhalsim? F that shit" out loud.

<Opened thread> Well, at least he looks a little different and has a beard.

He is.

He plays nothing like Dhalsim and wouldn't be a replacement. Doesn't matter how dope or how much better people think necro is, he doesn't cover the niche Dhalsim does.

Love the beard and happy to see sim is returning, have always enjoyed being on either side of his zoning game.

Well they should have seen a long time ago that this game is all about Alpha characters, not III. Hope for DLC or SFVI in eight years. Ha ha.

Ha.

Sheroking

Gief am cry.
If he was in the announcement like Chun and not came after some redesigns i think he would have gotten less heat.

They've already said there's a reason some characters got a re-design and some didn't. I'm guessing there's a floating timeline in the story mode.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
Gief am cry.
If he was in the announcement like Chun and not came after some redesigns i think he would have gotten less heat.

If everyone gets a beard then Zangief should get his removed.

w6tJVQfl.jpg

Jetman

He plays nothing like Dhalsim and wouldn't be a replacement. Doesn't matter how dope or how much better people think necro is, he doesn't cover the niche Dhalsim does.

Oh, I didn't say he did. The statement was whether Necro was "better" which is totally subject to opinion but I think he is and would have been a "better", fun, and more interesting choice.
If it was a matter of covering niche's then it wouldn't be out of range or character to give Necro a projectile, teleport, and longer standard move set.
And fuck it, give him a beard since that's all it takes to get GAF's panties in a bunch ;)

krazen

Awesome.

While it's a subtle change (the beard) its a huge one, and kinda makes me a bit annoyed so many characters are still rocking the same main costumes for the past twenty years (lookin' at you chun/gief)

Numb

They've already said there's a reason some characters got a re-design and some didn't. I'm guessing there's a floating timeline in the story mode.
ofcourse. He does look much older with the face but won't see it after the select screen. Everyone is older tho.

If everyone gets a beard then Zangief should get his removed.

w6tJVQfl.jpg

Gief is secretly Hulk?haha
Also reminds me of Haggar and how badly i want the fella.

Pompadour

That's an interesting way to explain why he's super stretchy + defies gravity + breathes fire + can teleport. I wish he had some sort of Super that's clearly him casting some elaborate illusion on his opponent, like sending them into a fiery inferno.

Skilletor

Oh, I didn't say he did. The statement was whether Necro was "better" which is totally subject to opinion but I think he is and would have been a "better", fun, and more interesting choice.
If it was a matter of covering niche's then it wouldn't be out of range or character to give Necro a projectile, teleport, and longer standard move set.
And fuck it, give him a beard since that's all it takes to get GAF's panties in a bunch ;)

Basically saying make necro Dhalsim, which makes nobody happy.

This is exactly why the sf2 cast is used so much. Why make up or force shit on to other characters when you've already got the archetype covered.

My point is that you can love necro all you want, but it's not a choice between necro and Dhalsim. It never would be. Dhalsim is a true zoner, necro isn't. Both being stretchy doesn't mean anything when it comes to how they play.

Crisium

Is it just me, or does Dhalsim seem to be alot faster than in previous iterations?

To early to say, but they made Vega have viable Rushdown so they will likely do the same to Dhalsim since this is Rushdown Fighter V ft. long recovery projectiles.

That's an interesting way to explain why he's super stretchy + defies gravity + breathes fire + can teleport. I wish he had some sort of Super that's clearly him casting some elaborate illusion on his opponent, like sending them into a fiery inferno.
I believe everything comes from yoga and meditation. He actually teleports and stretches and stuff, just the fire is a trick. But I mean you can't make real fire just from doing a lot of yoga, that's ridiculous.

Zubz

Banned
I'm disappointed that the skulls are still there, but everything else about Dhalsim's on-point. I'm honestly glad he's back; I was certain he wouldn't be redesigned, and for whatever reason, I didn't feel like I really wanted him back so soon until I saw him in action.

I'm disappointed that the skulls are still there, but everything else about Dhalsim's on-point. I'm honestly glad he's back; I was certain he wouldn't be redesigned, and for whatever reason, I didn't feel like I really wanted him back so soon until I saw him in action.
Not all of us can forget the death of innocents so easily.

Greenzxy

I believe everything comes from yoga and meditation. He actually teleports and stretches and stuff, just the fire is a trick. But I mean you can't make real fire just from doing a lot of yoga, that's ridiculous.

I thought the fire was just an illusion, it's not real fire, but kinetic energy giving the appearance of fire, like Ken's Shoryu.

Kelsdesu

I would have rather had Necro than Sim, but the days of 4 out of 19 characters not from street fighter II is over.

Top Bottom