• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V doesn't have a basic Arcade Mode. Is this acceptable?

Yeah, lots of Street Fighter V talk today but I wanted to discuss this specifically.

SF V has a very, very light amount of content at launch. We all know this. Capcom is adding more content throughout the life of the product, so many players are ok with the limited modes on day one, since the game will evolve over time.

But this game does not have an arcade mode right now. And in fact, if the current content roadmap Capcom has laid out is to be believed, there isn't one coming, at least not in 2016.

To me, this is ridiculous and completely unacceptable. Arcade mode is a staple in not only Street Fighter, but pretty much every fighting game made since the early 90's. It's an incredibly basic single player mode, sure, but it allows you to learn characters and play against a variety of opponents. It's fun. I've enjoyed this mode in every SF game I have purchased since the days of the Super Nintendo.

How on earth is this not included on day one? And even more baffling, how is this not even a part of the upcoming content in development?!?

I understand a lot of hardcore SF fans couldn't care less about this mode. They want to play against human opponents. But surely I'm not the only person who is extremely disappointed this basic mode found in almost every single fighting game ever made is missing? Without it, there is very, very little to do if you want to play solo. You have the extremely short character stories and survival mode at launch. That's it! At least more stuff is coming soon....but apparently not an arcade mode. Why not??

And yes, I'm aware there isn't actually an arcade release of SF V but come on! Arcade mode doesn't have to exist only if your game was an arcade release lol

Acerac

Banned
I'm not sure if it's acceptable, but I don't think it's a feature I would have ever really used outside of getting unlocks or whatever it would have been required for.

Ryce

No, it's not acceptable, and neither is the lack of a basic Vs. CPU mode. Capcom ought to be embarrassed. These are fighting game staples.

I was just about to buy and read this thread. I'm not even a good player, the bulk of my fun would have been with that mode. What the fuck Capcom?

mollipen

Not a big deal. I don't really get the obsession over arcade mode if there are other modes that give almost the same experience (survival).

I'm not sure if it's acceptable, but I don't think it's a feature I would have ever really used outside of getting unlocks or whatever it would have been required for.

Yeah, if you're mainly playing against humans I get why it's not a big deal.

Not a big deal. I don't really get the obsession over arcade mode if there are other modes that give almost the same experience (survival).

In Survival mode, is the game over if you lose once? Can you continue? Genuine question, as I haven't gotten to try it yet.

Capcom took a gamble by releasing this early to support cpt and hoping people who don't compete will be cool with it but it backfired. I think this is the final nail in the coffin for this franchise to bring in new players who wouldn't have played FGs usually.

I'm okay with the basic story mode since it's really more than I expected

But not having Vs CPU or an Arcade mode is completely unacceptable

I like arcade mode. I didn't really care about the beginning and ending videos in sf4 though, usually the story was meh. So basically the survival mode will be the replacement arcade mode in sf5 for me.

tribal24

Banned
survival makes up for it but these shitty server disconnect messes up the experience for it if you want to collect EXP and fight money.

Venfayth

What value does arcade mode have?

Is "it's always been there" a good enough reason to shove one in?

I say this as someone who thinks the lack of other things (a real story mode, trial mode, etc) are way more important and disappointing.

You know how Versus mode typically has P1 vs. P2, P1 vs. CPU, and CPU vs. CPU? This game only has P1 vs. P2.

Wait, are you telling me that there's no vs CPU at all?

You can play against cpu opponents but not in VS mode. Even this is more egregious than not having arcade mode.

Yes- this and similar omissions are what turned me off of getting it now. I'll wait till later once more is available for the casual player.

Ban Puncher

How can it have an Arcade Mode if it was never released in arcades?

tumblr_inline_nlp4sde9Xs1swrb54_500.jpg

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Capcom took a gamble by releasing this early to support cpt and hoping people who don't compete will be cool with it but it backfired. I think this is the final nail in the coffin for this franchise to bring in new players who wouldn't have played FGs usually.

your "this is the end" posts are becoming a joke dude. this is as much the final nail as diablo 3 was the final nail, or destiny, or any other game is horrible launches (which this most certainly is).

robotrock

Banned
Honestly hope they patch it back in. Survival is cool, but the fight match ups aren't randomized or anything like an arcade mode.

Acerac

Banned
Yeah, if you're mainly playing against humans I get why it's not a big deal.

Well, that or training mode.

AI is just lame to fight against. For example you can't cross up AI, they either choose to let you hit them or they don't. It just always feels so lacking.

n051de

It's not acceptable but It doesn't matter. Konami showed everyone that you can release an incomplete game these days and make GOTY, as long as it has a "5" in the title. Unfortunately I'm apart of the problem. I copped SFV and MGSV DAY1(or before).

ExVicis

People still played Battlefront and it has no Campaign and if it ever does it won't be free. Street Fighter V being the way it is now they getting free updates and content later is fine.

RM8

When I'm not facing other players, I spend tons of time in arcade mode in fighting games. And no, survival is not quite the same, I like to fight many characters and then a boss, I don't even demand a super complex ending or anything. Precisely because it's such a simple mode, it's kind of unacceptable that it's missing in SFV.

I don't think it is. Since I'm not the most skilled fighting player I rent on vs CPU and arcade mode to actually practice a little bit and have some fun. Can't justify spending full retail on that.

gelf

Isn't survival mode kinda similar? (minus the ending pictures and story)
Survival modes are about managing your health bar over multiple fights. It's not the same as having successive 3 round fights against the CPU at all. Every fighting game in history that had a survival mode also had standard arcade.

Mark5130

A few friends keep telling me that arcade and versus CPU modes will be patched in sometime during March, but I can't find any details about it anywhere.

Killer Instinct didn't launch with one either, although that game is F2P. Still not really an excuse, but it's not the first fighting game to omit the mode.

Mengetsu

SFV is a Console/PC only game. The game has no Arcade release in Japan like the other's did hence no work was put into a Arcade mode. Story Mode took over the slot due to this so they wouldn't have to make a separate Arcade Mode with similar endings for each character.

How can it have an Arcade Mode if it was never released in arcades?

tumblr_inline_nlp4sde9Xs1swrb54_500.jpg

Read the last part of my OP. Arcade mode or World Tour...whatever. You obviously know what I'm talking about, come on!

Killer Instinct didn't launch with one either, although that game is F2P. Still not really an excuse, but it's not the first fighting game to omit the mode.

It was added in later though, correct? I'm ok with SF V not having it at launch but I'm worried it's not coming, period. It's not on their current roadmap for 2016.

A few friends keep telling me that arcade and versus CPU modes will be patched in sometime during March, but I can't any details about it anywhere.
That's a lie.

And it's definitely weird that it's not there. I'm thinking Capcom decided that the Character Story mode replaces it properly? It's not an arcade game after all.

When will the plague of unfinished games releasing early end? When we stop buying them.
This isn't due to the game being unfinished, it's because of a decision to not include an arcade mode.

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
I can see why they didn't want include an arcade mode, but no vs CPU modes at all? WTF?

Gleethor

SFV is a Console/PC only game. The game has no Arcade release in Japan like the other's did hence no work was put into a Arcade mode. Story Mode took over the slot due to this so they wouldn't have to make a separate Arcade Mode with similar endings for each character.

MKX has a story mode and still managed to have arcade mode with unique endings for each character.

Footos22

No arcade? Holy shit.

Well there isn't an actual arcade cabinet yet so it makes sense in thay regard. Survival is the same thing and then the character stories. It'll obv get added later.

The game was clearly put out before tournament season and that was there first focus by looks of things.

Ryce

Story mode isn't a replacement for arcade mode. Injustice and Mortal Kombat X have both.

Full pricetag on a bare bones release is no good. No doubt game will flesh out over time but the price is too high for what they offered at launch.

Top Bottom