• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V Offers Sneak Peek and Free Week to PC Players

jett

D-Member
So basically, how the game should have launched.

Don't get me wrong, I love the game, but yeesh.

Well, it remains to be seen how well this is going to work. Capcom's servers have consistently gone to shit every time there's a spike in traffic. I'm not super confident, but I'll redownload SFV for this beta.

Pompadour

"Rebuilding from the ground up" is something I honestly didn't expect. My guess is the MvCI budget allowed them to overhaul the CFN so it'd be ready for that game.

So SFV was a beta after all.

Actually, this is also a great way for us to get used to the balance changes before the patch goes live. This way, Capcom can fix anything that's problematic ASAP before it impacts the CPT.

It's still netplay though. I think a traditional location style test would be best for tuning local play like CPT events.

Wallach

These are mainly fixes for the online as well as the balancing that Capcom wants to test. Giving Player 2 the option for Character Select kind of change would only apply to Versus Mode.

Not sure that really matters. Training mode settings being saved doesn't have much of anything to do with online or balance either. Just QoL stuff.

Still, looking forward to checking out those Vega buffs.

Nyoro SF

God, if these features had actually worked and these improvements implemented within the first month, I would still be playing SFV. We'll see if this actually improves anything or if it's just extremely minimal improvements (esp. in regards to loading times).

about fucking time they saved training settings and fixed battle lounges

Only took them 1.5 years!

Mr. X

The blacklist will be abused until removed. People will use it to avoid players who win or characters they don't like to fight.

Situacao

There's still some stuff missing (like the 2nd player being able to control the UI independently) but I'm happy with this update! Hopefully everything works as intended.

These all sound really promising. Still miffed a lot of this stuff wasn't at release, but as long as it's getting implemented, no point in being angry about it. Hope it all gets added and functions this time. Would like Capcom to be able to pull through with this game and stop dropping the ball.

A step in the right direction, but we still got a long way to go until it's up to snuff as far as QoL goes.

I've been wanting to pick this back up since reading about the Samus mod. This game is easily the most disappointing of all time for me ...but I've given other games a chance to win me over with an update so maybe I should do the same for SFV. It is just sitting there in my library, after all... The update looks nice though.

I've been wanting to pick this back up since reading about the Samus mod. This game is easily the most disappointing of all time for me ...but I've given other games a chance to win me over with an update so maybe I should do the same for SFV. It is just sitting there in my library, after all... The update looks nice though.

is that out for everyone or just a patreon exclusive?

thelastword

Banned
Nice improvements..

The blacklist will be abused until removed. People will use it to avoid players who win or characters they don't like to fight.
I fear the same, it's the only feature I think they should remove......

The connection bars will be improved and visible, rage-quitters will be punished and matched with similar minded persons. Country Flags will be visible in lounge. Why would you need to blacklist someone?

So ISDD can just blacklist every player that beats him on CFN and therefore he will find a certified way to boost his stats legally...It's just not a needed feature....Any bullying or bad sportsmanship can be covered better through other means....Also, you want people to play and learn the game, not to avoid players in general......

FluxWaveZ

So ISDD can just blacklist every player that beats him on CFN and therefore he will find a certified way to boost his stats legally...It's just not a needed feature....Any bullying or bad sportsmanship can be covered better through other means....Also, you want people to play and learn the game, not to avoid players in general......

If they don't take care of the boosters out there, then the blacklist would be a way to avoid them. Preferably, though, Capcom would actually take care of them themselves.

They're talking specifically about the long loading time that occurs when you first enter a match against an opponent online. This will actually also affect local versus when you're playing online, as the game is still doing a slight server check in that scenario.
Right on. Not quite all the way there in my opinion, but I'm not going to complain about it.

Funny thing about the transitions between games is I only notice them and am eager for them to move along after a loss.

which is a lot but still...
I actually want to get to the next match as fast as possible always, regardless of whether I win or lose. I do not care at all about stats or rankings other than their ability to help matchmaking. If other people want to see that junk, they should just have the game log it so people can view it later. I feel like the game is constantly wasting my time--at this point that's really my only gripe with it.

Kalor

Those changes sound great. I'm surprised it's taken until now to be able to save training mode options.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Better than their last gift they gave to PC players.

That said: Why don't they just unlock the fucking characters permanently. The whole "fight money" scheme failed. If anything it makes me want to play the game less
the rootkit buried it six feet under

What's this?

Hope so. Will be weird seeing not seeing the thumbs up anymore though.

PTR = Public Test Region. Like in Overwatch on PC. Basically a beta server where PC players can experience updates and character changes before they go "live". Helps Blizzard balance the game and work out issues beforehand.

Actually, this is also a great way for us to get used to the balance changes before the patch goes live. This way, Capcom can fix anything that's problematic ASAP before it impacts the CPT.

Yeh, like bringing Chun back from the dead.

Skilletor

That said: Why don't they just unlock the fucking characters permanently. The whole "fight money" scheme failed. If anything it makes me want to play the game less

Probably because you're talking out of your ass and it hasn't failed.

Whales

Banned

because people pay real money for new characters? as a season pass ownder id be pissed

this is like asking "why isnt dlc free?" for any game
.. lots of efforts went into making the new characters and it shows

Pompadour

Seems like it's working to me.

myco666

Because characters are paid DLC that you can also unlock by playing the game. They aren't unlockable characters that you can also pay to unlock.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Because characters are paid DLC that you can also unlock by playing the game.

Which is the problem. You can't play offline to get the money. It's basically a grind. But we've been over this before in regards to how stupid fight money is.

Capcom basically put the rootkit in to try to stop PC players from shortening said grind (due to the bullshit AI in Survival mode). Which should've signaled they needed better ways of grinding said Fight Money. Maybe that introduced "daily quests" whatever thing actually has offline/easy ways of getting fast Fight Money. I wouldn't know. The Rootkit basically sealed me never installing Street 5 on my PC ever again though.

myco666

Which is the problem. You can't play offline to get the money. It's basically a grind. But we've been over this before in regards to how stupid fight money is.

Capcom basically put the rootkit in to try to stop PC players from shortening said grind (due to the bullshit AI in Survival mode). Which should've signaled they needed better ways of grinding said Fight Money. Maybe that introduced "daily quests" whatever thing actually has offline/easy ways of getting fast Fight Money. I wouldn't know. The Rootkit basically sealed me never installing Street 5 on my PC ever again though.

So you would rather have just paid DLC and have no means to unlock it by FM?

joanot

Battle Lounge Country Flags
Country flags will appear in Battle Lounges, allowing players to locate competition in their region.

I´ll believe it when i see it working, if it is anything like the connection bars not loading we are fucked.

Is it that hard to implement a filter to sort the rooms by region ? it is 2017 Capcom, get it together.

Pompadour

So you admit you might not know what you're talking about because you won't install the game to find out and you're suggesting that Capcom needs to abandon the FM system, which you say is a failure, to win back players like you who will never install the game again regardless?

Skilletor

So just buy the characters with cash the way it's done in every other fighting game since time out of mind.

Swarna

because people pay real money for new characters? as a season pass ownder id be pissed

this is like asking "why isnt dlc free?" for any game
.. lots of efforts went into making the new characters and it shows

There are better monetary models for both Capcom and the players.

For example, free characters with more legendary $10 skins could easily make up the difference in season pass sales, without being a hindrance to the integrity of gameplay (haves vs. have nots). These season passes are only $20-$40 to begin with and only the dedicated players are actually buying them.

Blackage

The Blacklist frature is there for people with awful connections/lag switches. If some scrub wants to blacklist everyone they lose to, that's on them and ultimately will hurt them in the long run.

Neoxon

I'm curious to see if they'll adjust the balance changes based on the reactions from players during this trial.

There are better monetary models for both Capcom and the players.

For example, free characters with more legendary $10 skins could easily make up the difference in season pass sales, without being a hindrance to the integrity of gameplay (haves vs. have nots). These season passes are only $20-$40 to begin with and only the dedicated players are actually buying them.

I've always been curious why Capcom didn't go that route. Their current unlock system is the worst scenario possible, being both a tremendous grind in itself and leading to them locking a bunch of traditional bonus content (stage and color variations, titles) behind extreme Fight Money walls. Giving people more characters also gives them more costume options they might want to spend real money on. Oh well, maybe they'll wise up for SF6.

Happy to see this public test week, I hope Capcom has made some real, significant changes.

Sayad

Doubt the black list will work in ranked, that would just be stupid. It's probably for people you don't want to get messages and invites from.

MrCarter

lol original as per usual.

Probably because you're talking out of your ass and it hasn't failed.

He's a known troll to be honest. It's as if this game murdered and dumped his pet on his doorstep.

PTR = Public Test Region. Like in Overwatch on PC. Basically a beta server where PC players can experience updates and character changes before they go "live". Helps Blizzard balance the game and work out issues beforehand.

Ah that's pretty cool. Looks like PC is where it's at with this game now.

TacosNSalsa

Did they specify what the blacklist was for ? I couldn't imagine it being for ranked . Maybe to stop people from joining your battle lounge or adding you as fav so they can't see what you're doing/replays?

Blackage

I've always been curious why Capcom didn't go that route. Their current unlock system is the worst scenario possible, being both a tremendous grind in itself and leading to them locking a bunch of traditional bonus content (stage and color variations, titles) behind extreme Fight Money walls. Giving people more characters also gives them more costume options they might want to spend real money on. Oh well, maybe they'll wise up for SF6.

Happy to see this public test week, I hope Capcom has made some real, significant changes.

People that play fighting games competitively tend to focus on 1 or maybe 2 characters. It's not like team based f2p games where you might have to change roles, and there's a lot of different characters you play in that role.

The idea that having the entire rooster available for free will make people buy costumes for characters they don't play is flawed.

That said Capcom could be way more active in making skins for other chars. I think Chun in this game has like 12 different costumes vs like Birdie that has 3.

Neoxon

Did they specify what the blacklist was for ? I couldn't imagine it being for ranked . Maybe to stop people from joining your battle lounge or adding you as fav so they can't see what you're doing/replays?
Weird how they didn't go into more detail on the blacklisting.

Still hoping for an arcade mode as survival is Boring first 20 levels. Also prefer best of 5 rounds instead of single rounds..pretty please capcom

Top Bottom