• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V |OT40002| it's been a Guile, but Urien for a wait

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xeteh

He plays Ryu very patiently, so it doesn't leave him very open to punishes which Cammy excels at. I can understand the frustration there, I was trying everything in my bag of tricks to get him to throw out a whiffed shoryuken and couldn't ever capitalize on it when he did. :< You're the only one I didn't get to play against I think so maybe next time you're up for it we can do a set :)

Yeah sure, lemme know. I'm down whenever.

im sorry xeteh ;-;

Don't be, you have my number. Just not sure how to react and when I make mistakes you punish them appropriately.

Big Brett

You need tomlearn to anti air. Your opponent took full adavatage of the fact you didn't challenge any of the jump ins. You need to stop relying on cr hk as your main poking/footsies tool. The recovery makes it highly punishable on block. You either went raw cr hk or cr mk into cr hk which doesn't combo and will get you hit out of it or crush countered.

You need to apply pressure and attack once you score the knockdown and gain advantage. This isn't SF4 so being a passive defensive character is not enough especially when you can't anti air. You chipping away with fireballs is negligible to the damage output of your opponent scoring a jump in combo. And you should be ready to use your dragon punch after a fireball so you can anti air them.

Recognize the throw setups and prepare accordingly. Laura did a throw after you blocked the jumpin and you weren't able to tech despite it was the only thing she did. Block more when knocked down. If you are unsure what is coming then let Laura attack enough so that she pushes herself out and you can begin your turn again.

This is really great advice thank you so much! I don't know how to get rid of the habit of using cr hk i think it comes with using Dualshock 4 and my finger always resting on the R2 button.

Whales

Banned
This is really great advice thank you so much! I don't know how to get rid of the habit of using cr hk i think it comes with using Dualshock 4 and my finger always resting on the R2 button.

I used to have the exam same problem, I would spam cr.hk all day long

my tip: with ryu, every situation where you want to cr.hk do a cr.mk instead. Its much safer and you can cancel it into a fireball later for some chip damage ( or an easy 2 hits combo).

Seriously, cr.mk is your best friend. Remove the cr.hk from you mind. Get into a match and tell yourself ''I will only use cr.mk and never cr.hk'' and punch yourself everytime you do a cr.hk. Cancel every blocked cr.mk into a fireball.

You pretty much only use cr.hk to punish something that is too far from your cr.mk and that's it.

It took me a while ( like, at least a good month) before I stopped spamming cr.hk and started using cr.mk instead. You will see how much better it is.

Also yeah, you need to start AA more. I can't help you much with it because I still have problems with that, but try using Ryu's cr.hp instead of DP if you find that you're inputting the motion too late. It's a good AA. That and his st.hk if they're trying to jump from medium range.

Also you should always use mp dp on wakeup because IIRC, it's the Dp with the most invulnerability ( that and ex dp). It has full invincibility while the others only have upper body invincibility.

If you see tht a guy likes jumping in then grabbing, tech it everytime ( in this case the laura was pretty much doing only that). But be careful because most people WILL adapt and will stop doing it every time.

Edgeward

It just comes with time. Make goals for yourself in matches other than winning. "I will anti-air" "I will use cr MK/mp more" "I will attack after knocking down my opponent" Don't look for just winning early on because chances are you are playing bad players with bad habits and it will only reinforce the bad habits when dumb shit works. Play casual matches so that the stress and pressure of points in not seeping into your mind and decision making

Big Brett

I used to have the exam same problem, I would spam cr.hk all day long

my tip: with ryu, every situation where you want to cr.hk do a cr.mk instead. Its much safer and you can cancel it into a fireball later for some chip damage ( or an easy 2 hits combo).

Seriously, cr.mk is your best friend. Remove the cr.hk from you mind. Get into a match and tell yourself ''I will only use cr.mk and never cr.hk'' and punch yourself everytime you do a cr.hk. Cancel every blocked cr.mk into a fireball.

You pretty much only use cr.hk to punish something that is too far from your cr.mk and that's it.

It took me a while ( like, at least a good month) before I stopped spamming cr.hk and started using cr.mk instead. You will see how much better it is.

Also yeah, you need to start AA more. I can't help you much with it because I still have problems with that, but try using Ryu's cr.hp instead of DP if you find that you're inputting the motion too late. It's a good AA. That and his st.hk if they're trying to jump from medium range.

Also you should always use mp dp on wakeup because IIRC, it's the Dp with the most invulnerability ( that and ex dp). It has full invincibility while the others only have upper body invincibility.

If you see tht a guy likes jumping in then grabbing, tech it everytime ( in this case the laura was pretty much doing only that). But be careful because most people WILL adapt and will stop doing it every time.

Yes this is excellent advice thank you. I kick myself almost everytime I use cr.hk because I know how horribly minus it is on block, yet I still do it sometimes. Had no idea about the mp dp having invincibility... this is a great tip. My anti-air game needs serious work, and teching. A lot of time when I'm playing against grapplers I'm not sure if I'm able to tech their grab or if it's their command grab. Again, thanks so much!

It just comes with time. Make goals for yourself in matches other than winning. "I will anti-air" "I will use cr MK/mp more" "I will attack after knocking down my opponent" Don't look for just winning early on because chances are you are playing bad players with bad habits and it will only reinforce the bad habits when dumb shit works. Play casual matches so that the stress and pressure of points in not seeping into your mind and decision making

I play with a buddy who just lets me jump in all the time and he can't take a round on me even though I know I'm not playing well at all. It's frustrating because I learn nothing. I need a good sparring buddy I feel in order to gain some knowledge on what I'm doing wrong rather than just doing everything wrong even though it feels so right. The instinct to win is horrible... I think I need to just stick to battle lounges/casual. When points are on the line it's all I can think about. I watched an old youtube guide on SF4 saying the exact same thing about mini goals, so I think I'm going to work hard on employing that mantra.

Renekton

All we need is your CFN name to watch any of your recent match replays. We can even watch specific matches that you especially want feedback on if you give us the replay ID(s).
Okay thanks will do. I'll get more matches over the weekend and post them.

I can't feel the level up if any, since everyone seems to be on hyper-Bethesda scaling.

Big Brett

Finally found Guile's Season Pass exclusive outfit after some datamining

zFnTwiu.jpg

Made by reddit user DTrinidad

Edgeward

I play with a buddy who just lets me jump in all the time and he can't take a round on me even though I know I'm not playing well at all. It's frustrating because I learn nothing. I need a good sparring buddy I feel in order to gain some knowledge on what I'm doing wrong rather than just doing everything wrong even though it feels so right. The instinct to win is horrible... I think I need to just stick to battle lounges/casual. When points are on the line it's all I can think about. I watched an old youtube guide on SF4 saying the exact same thing about mini goals, so I think I'm going to work hard on employing that mantra.

Just look to seek out sets with people on here or elsewhere. Not everyone posting is some gold+ killer. Only way to find out is to play them. If you can find someone or a few people that you can be competitive with look to play more with them. Not even win or even take rounds sometimes, like if you felt you could've won a round or set with more adjustments or preparation than that sets a goal or bar to reach.

And whenever you don't understand why you got hit or if you can punish something. check the frame data and hit training mode and see what Ryu can punish and practice it til it's second nature.

Big Brett

And whenever you don't understand why you got hit or if you can punish something. check the frame data and hit training mode and see what Ryu can punish and practice it til it's second nature.

Just to confirm, is the correct way to do this to record the actions and see the earliest possible moment I'm able to begin an attack string? I've used training mode a lot but not super deeply, mostly just dummies.

Edgeward

Just to confirm, is the correct way to do this to record the actions and see the earliest possible moment I'm able to begin an attack string? I've used training mode a lot but not super deeply, mostly just dummies.

Yes, and make sure to record the cpu to block at the end so you get the correct data. And do a few empty jabs before the action so it allows time to reset. SFV has a robust selection of options. Like having your dummy attack or block after the first hit so you can test you combo strings or record a wake up option and set it to wake up jab (make sure it's a character with a 3 frame attack) so you can time your meaty attacks.

Urghhh..not a fan of this premium costume either. So far, the 2 premium costumes for the DLC characters is a miss for me. 0/2 so far.

Default and Story mode ones are much better.

Edzi

So I'm noticing that sometimes I get an error pop-up (some kind of dxgi error) after closing the steam version of the game. Any ideas on what this could be?

GGs Skill. Starting to get the hang of Nash, though when Cammy is right up in my face things go south real quick lol. Gotta also cool it with the booms when you have meter or vtrigger on. I got caught a couple times by spiral arrow.

Edgeward

I get that error sometimes. I heard someone say it's some memory leak but the game never gave me issues other than that notice after exiting.

Skilletor

GGs Skill. Starting to get the hang of Nash, though when Cammy is right up in my face things go south real quick lol. Gotta also cool it with the booms when you have meter or vtrigger on. I got caught a couple times by spiral arrow.

I noticed you rarely cancelled scythe to super, any reason why?

mbpm1

I think playing a character without a fireball or reversal for so long gave me a little patience and understanding on when not to jump in a fireball match with Ryu now. Cool

I was able to re-host the premium battle outfit on my Imgur account.

ngQRk05.jpg

Round shades, and a default henchman's worker outfit. Terrible design haha. Why not like a major's pilot uniform with a bunch of medals or something. Or a more casual design with his hair down.

Neoxon

I'm guessing that wearing his helmet during battle annoys Guile to no end since he has to comb his hair a lot after he gets out of the jet. Same for Charlie before the whole Shadaloo death/Illuminati revival thing happened.

Edgeward

Ha-ha the clawwww

Thanks let's play again sometime

Sure, man. GGs. You should stop pressing buttons on wake up. Alex has no good reversals so you just got to take it and prepare to block or wait your turn or v-reversal. And try to mix in throws on your pressure after a knockdown. Lot of times you just opted to push yourself out and reset the situation.

Vice

Round shades, and a default henchman's worker outfit. Terrible design haha. Why not like a major's pilot uniform with a bunch of medals or something. Or a more casual design with his hair down.

It looks like he's in an air force flight suit with the vest. It also looks like he's wearing aviator sunglasses. It's very Top Gun.

Sure, man. GGs. You should stop pressing buttons on wake up. Alex has no good reversals so you just got to take it and prepare to block or wait your turn or v-reversal. And try to mix in throws on your pressure after a knockdown. Lot of times you just opted to push yourself out and reset the situation.

I hear you, I've been painfully focused on trying to AA past 2 nights that the rest of my game has suffered.

Thanks for the tips

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom