• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V |OTVIIII| New Generation - Fighting Game Is Something So Great

Using negative edge. Basically, just pressing the button not only counts as an input, letting it go also does. It's how moves like Balrog's TAP and Birdie's Bullhorn work, you keep the button(s) pressed for a specific amount of time and let it go.

They already have the button pressed beforehand, and just let it go when it's time to release that particular orb.

Trickster

Using negative edge. Basically, just pressing the button not only counts as an input, letting it go also does. It's how moves like Balrog's TAP and other moves work.

They already have the button pressed beforehand, and just let it go when it's time to release that particular orb.

Urgh, well that sounds next to freaking impossible to me lol. Her Vtrigger stuff was plenty difficult without this

Neoxon

Apparently MvCI's netcode is great based on impressions from Discord, which led the guy who tested it to believe that SFV's issues were more with the servers they're using than the netcode itself.

LakeEarth

Urgh, well that sounds next to freaking impossible to me lol. Her Vtrigger stuff was plenty difficult without this

Yeah, having to rely on negative edge is a little too much for me.

Apparently MvCI's netcode is great based on impressions from Discord, which led the guy who tested it to believe that SFV's issues were more with the servers they're using than the netcode itself.
Yeah how the game does at launch is really up to the servers.

I don't think so, the most likely situation is that they just fixed the issues they had with SFV's netcode for MvC:I's launch. While I have no doubt that the servers for SFV are also hot garbage, they're still a small part as to why the netcode for this game currently sucks.

This actually bodes pretty well, it could mean that SFV netcode COULD be getting an upgrade.

this reminds me of when FourWude tweeted that he could play Tokido perfectly with the SFV netcode and look how that turned out lmao

I mean the netcode has been shown to work well. With the game using decent servers and theres no burden of crossplay (currently), it wouldn't surprise me that the netcode can perform well enough.

But theres also only a handful of people playing online.

Teh Lurv

Aren't most SFV matches peer-to-peer connections? With the exception of matchmaking and result uploading, the SFV servers should play no part in the quality of the actual gameplay.

Pompadour

Servers shouldn't have any impact unless they ditched the intermediary server that you can occasionally get connected to instead of directly with the player. Those matches are almost always terrible.

If he's talking about matchmaking then yeah, it'll probably be better because it's being handled by Sony/Microsoft/Steam who have way more experience with this than Capcom. Plus, they don't need to track FM or anything like that on top of everything else.

But one impression doesn't really mean anything. SFV's netcode is flawless most of the time and only unplayable occasionally, at least for me. SFV is still dealing with the bad first impression its online left on people so it's known as being shittier than it actually is currently.

It would be nice if they did fix the one sided rollback issue but my guess is the netcode is identical to what's in SFV. Capcom, as far as I know, has never really seen their netcode as having issues (except like one tweet from a CoA rep on looking into one sided lag) so I doubt they've been actively trying to improve it.

Sayad

I can't figure out how players like sakomoto or go1 pull of Menats crazy vtrigger combo. I'm looking at it frame by frame and it looks like they fire off orbs not associated with any of the buttons they are pressing

negative edge

It's not negative edge, just taping buttons really fast, from watching Sako in training mode at least, he rarely use negative edge mid combos!*

*Negative edge doesn't show up in key display.

Onemic

I dont think it's negative edge actually. At least in the case of go1. One of the things you can do with menat is fire off whatever orb you want when youve done a special move. So if you do something like send your orb out and you immediately press a button, you will send out an orb associated with the button you pressed.

If MvCI's netcode is as good as I'm hearing, it's likely related to the rollback void being limited like Tony Cannon was talking about at EVO. Hopefully, if that's really the case, the fix can be backported to SFV.

Also the server stops impacting the match the second the two players begin the constant connection.

Sayad

I dont think it's negative edge actually. At least in the case of go1. One of the things you can do with menat is fire off whatever orb you want when youve done a special move. So if you do something like send your orb out and you immediately press a button, you will send out an orb associated with the button you pressed.
Not just special moves, any tap while she's in VT releases the correspondent orb if it doesn't register as an action. So you can do LK, LP, and Menat will do a LK attack and release the LP orb during the LK animation.

VariantX

Never believe rando online dudes.

I can't take impressions of netcode too seriously pre-launch anyway, we'll know for sure when the masses get their hands on it. After all, there was no public stress test, so we have zero clue how this game performs under launch week stress. If it's good, theres a good chance that SFV will get even better too.

If MvCI's netcode is as good as I'm hearing, it's likely related to the rollback void being limited like Tony Cannon was talking about at EVO. Hopefully, if that's really the case, the fix can be backported to SFV.

Also the server stops impacting the match the second the two players begin the constant connection.

The more you know.

So I wonder how they "fixed" it for Marvel, assuming they did, and have yet to do so for SFV? I'd imagine that's something they could work on in the next few months, if they haven't already started.

Reizo Ryuu

Gold Member
It's not negative edge, just taping buttons really fast, from watching Sako in training mode at least, he rarely use negative edge mid combos!*

*Negative edge doesn't show up in key display.
This, negative edge is not needed.
The button you press won't fire an orb if you tap it, but any other button you press during the animation of the normal fires the orb immediately.
So you can do vtrigger cancel, mk slide, press hk immediately to fire the hk orb.

Negative Edge is why I can never play Evil Ryu and would do Cammy's hooligan instead of a spiral arrow when hit confirming off a counter hit jab after blocking.

LakeEarth

Negative edge always fucks me with Urien, after landing a c.HP I sometimes get the juggle fireball on the first hit because I was letting go of fierce to press fierce for the fireball after the second hit.

EDIT - you could use a gem to turn it off in SFxT. It was such bullshit that you had to lose a gem slot because NE caused such pain with certain characters (King, specifically)

cHaotix8

Lol gems are why I gave up sfxt season two. The game was fun until you got hit by a minute long combo that did 85% damage due to gem optimization. Boring as hell to watch too.

Negative Edge is both a blessing and a curse for me. I use it a lot but on many occasions it screws me up doing things I didn't want causing me to eat a Crush counter combo.

It didn't happen to me as much in 2, 3, or 4. Or any other Capcom game. But with V, it seems very very easy to accidentally something. I just need to be super careful.

Not sure why Capcom didn't just put in an option to turn negative edge off. I'm pretty sure you can in Injustice and MK
It's been a staple of their fighting game input forever, it's just institutional at this point. What I really wonder is why they don't have an option for disabling input leniency because that gets in my way more than it helps. No, I really did not mean to super when I accidentally pressed forward at the end of a DP motion, game.

Surprised they're bringing them back for MvCI.
THOSE ARE STONES NOT GEMS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Numb

I miss Abigail

I miss that big dick

full

Top Bottom