• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V |OTVIIII| New Generation - Fighting Game Is Something So Great

kikiribu

But urien wasn't from africa, and then in his original appearance he seems to be much lighter and then turns into what is now his normal color And even now, he just seem's like a dark dude from greece, or turkish. And I don't think anyone is saying that women with dark skin is black, but this girl with dark skin from africa might be be black and that's why the discussion is being had I guess. Black Egyptians do in fact exist, so she might be black.
Weirdly enough, some of Menat's colors have her as light as Rose, and the description from "Sgt. Ashida" on the CFN site is that it's likely due to Soul Power (which causes skin tone to become more fair?). Hopefully this bad excuse doesn't mean that her skin will start to get lighter in later games

It actually kinda bothers me more than it should when lighter options of naturally dark-skinned characters are a thing. Balrog looks ill or something, and I don't like to see Laura losing her default skin tone either (she does in some colors). I only approve of the ones that make her darker, but to be fair, Brazilians come in many skin tones, so I guess with her, we'll never know if she's naturally lighter than we might think lol. She could just be tanning really often because Brazil

Village

I like variant skin options and hair options, I just want dark colors for light characters too. R mika characters need more dark skin color palletes. R mika has a single dark skinned color , I want more

Also just to mention, I asked the menat question in black gaf, the immediate response was " WTF of course she's black"so yeah. My initial thought that she's black wasn't as far fetched as you all thought. So for all intents and purposes, i'm calling her black .

kikiribu

I guess in my mind, if it doesn't make sense for a character to have multiple skin tones ranging from black to white, when we know what their natural one is, then the other ones are gonna look pretty weird. Do you think white Balrog should be a thing? Because that shit would look extra weird to me and actually even kinda racist. Why not leave him black? To appeal to those that don't wanna play as a black guy? Shit's dumb. Even blonde blue eyes Chun makes me cringe.

Village

As long as it doesn't look bad, fuck it. Just also make darker versions.

And while white balrog isn't a thing, light skin balrog is, and its fine. Darker balrog is also a thing, and blond balrog is a thing in this game. And they all look fine.

Give me dark mika, I have 3 dark ed colors and they are tight as shit. Also as long as you don't use that as an excuse to exclude darker characters

His default colour 14 and 15 make his hair gray. But yeah, that's it gray hair.

014.png
015.png

EDIT: His story outfit 15 makes him blonde because of course.

015.png

LakeEarth

balrog needs more costumes, yep. who was i talking about before?

This one's the real shocker to me. FANG is new and unpopular, Dhalsim is an OG but is very specialized, but I see Balrog players all the time, he's an OG and he's popular. How is he still lacking in the costumes department? Is there one guy making the premium costumes, but he's also the guy that has to go for coffee runs?

EDIT - yes, I consider SF2 characters OG

Pompadour

I guess in my mind, if it doesn't make sense for a character to have multiple skin tones ranging from black to white, when we know what their natural one is, then the other ones are gonna look pretty weird. Do you think white Balrog should be a thing? Because that shit would look extra weird to me and actually even kinda racist. Why not leave him black? To appeal to those that don't wanna play as a black guy? Shit's dumb. Even blonde blue eyes Chun makes me cringe.

I don't know if white Balrog should be a thing but there are definitely mixed race people who are very fair-skinned but still readily recognizable as black. I think a "white Balrog" would probably look like that as opposed to looking white.

Chun-Li is a weirder situation because she rarely comes off as looking distinctly Asian except for maybe SF2. Karin is also a weird one where I thought she was white until SFV because I didn't know her last name. I figured she was a western schoolgirl Ken to Sakura's Japanese schoolgirl.

Race in fighting games is a little tricky because the characters aren't bound to typical hair or eye colors for that race, and this seems to go double for the Japanese cast. Also, I'm going to go out on a limb and guess a lot of people (specifically brown and black people) enjoy playing as characters that have skin tones that mirror their own. I personally don't get it (I'm pasty and play Balrog and Dudley) but it's their prerogative and I don't think there's any controversy in black and brown players wanting to play black and brown characters.

If one were to ban skin tone variants in fighting games that just means most fighting game characters would look white or look like fair-skinned Asians. It's kind of the same thing as people bitching about cosplayers cosplaying characters not of their own race. You're primarily impacting black and brown people because the majority of characters in anime or Eastern videogames are light-skinned Asians or white.

Anyway, Guilty Gear does this and no one seems to care there.

delSai

Man i have no idea who to play. Either they dont click with me or i get bored.

Is there a chance a grappler with a 360 gets added in S3? I dont like Gief.

LakeEarth

I know I'm a broken record, but I'm still shocked that a quarter of the cast only has the "base" three costumes after a year and a half.

Ryce

F.A.N.G's Halloween costume should be a jiangshi (Chinese hopping vampire). The plague doctor look should be his Battle Outfit 2, assuming we're getting those at some point.

I really do hope we get a second wave of Halloween costumes.

M. Bison - zombie pirate
F.A.N.G - jiangshi
Akuma - horned demon (oni)
Abigail - Sasquatch
Menat - black cat

joe2187

Banned
Yo....this Street Fighter Vs Darkstalkers series just took a fucking weird turn.

Laura meets Rikuo (The merman) talks a bunch of shit to him, saying he's not worthy of his kingdom, wife or children, beats him up. Then gets her own ass beat and then ends with Rikuo dragging her down to the sea after capturing saying he's going to make a new merman race with her.

the fuck man...

Kashiwaba

F.A.N.G's Halloween costume should be a jiangshi (Chinese hopping vampire). The plague doctor look should be his Battle Outfit 2, assuming we're getting those at some point.

I really do hope we get a second wave of Halloween costumes.

M. Bison - zombie pirate
F.A.N.G - jiangshi
Akuma - horned demon (oni)
Abigail - Sasquatch
Menat - black cat
I would buy menat black cat costume and i still didn't unlock the character :).

MCD250

Yo....this Street Fighter Vs Darkstalkers series just took a fucking weird turn.

Laura meets Rikuo (The merman) talks a bunch of shit to him, saying he's not worthy of his kingdom, wife or children, beats him up. Then gets her own ass beat and then ends with Rikuo dragging her down to the sea after capturing saying he's going to make a new merman race with her.

the fuck man...
They should've just left it at memes and fan service.

I don't know what you expected from a Swamp man even if it is fucked up.

the fuck man...
This is what happens when street fighters that aren't S tier step to Darkstalkers. Things get dark real fast. Laura should just be glad she wasn't shit talking BB Hood.

Top Bottom