• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V |OTVIIII| New Generation - Fighting Game Is Something So Great

mbpm1

Sfv netcode is like when you ask the chef to surprise you at a restaurant. Will you get a good meal or a bad meal? Will the waiter randomly throw wine in your face while you're eating? Will you get kicked out? Always something

Also, I was thinking in-between Ranked matches how this game doesn't really give much incentive to accept a rematch. If you're playing someone the same LP as you and win the first match, you gain +65LP. Then you have the option to rematch, and there are four possible outcomes:

1. You go 2-0 and gain ~130LP.
2. You go 1-1 and net ~0LP.
3. You go 2-1 and gain ~65LP overall.
4. You go 1-2 and lose ~65LP overal.

3 out of those 4 outcomes has you either losing or maintaining the same number of points you received from the first match. The way the current system is set up now, the most efficient way to play if you care about points is to accept one match and move on win or lose. The LP system could use something like an LP bonus (like a 1.5x multipler) if a player wins a set 2-0 or 2-1, so you have a 50/50 outcome that provides more LP than just winning the first match.

You are approaching the game all wrong. You will naturally rank up when your skill level/knowledge increases. Winning 2/3 will eventually get you to rank up and the rematch is essential to getting better because it allows you to make adjustments.

People who run away after 1 match are scum. Dont be scum.

Also, I was thinking in-between Ranked matches how this game doesn't really give much incentive to accept a rematch. If you're playing someone the same LP as you and win the first match, you gain +65LP. Then you have the option to rematch, and there are four possible outcomes:

1. You go 2-0 and gain ~130LP.
2. You go 1-1 and net ~0LP.
3. You go 2-1 and gain ~65LP overall.
4. You go 1-2 and lose ~65LP overal.

3 out of those 4 outcomes has you either losing or maintaining the same number of points you received from the first match. The way the current system is set up now, the most efficient way to play if you care about points is to accept one match and move on win or lose. The LP system could use something like an LP bonus (like a 1.5x multipler) if a player wins a set 2-0 or 2-1, so you have a 50/50 outcome that provides more LP than just winning the first match.

I mean, you're always going to either win or lose your next match, no matter if it's a new opponent or the same opponent, so there's really no disincentive (points-wise) to accepting a rematch as long as you think you have a chance of winning.
I wouldn't be against a 2-0 bonus, though.

LakeEarth

I mean, you're always going to either win or lose your next match, no matter if it's a new opponent or the same opponent, so there's really no disincentive (points-wise) to accepting a rematch as long as you think you have a chance of winning.
I wouldn't be against a 2-0 bonus, though.

I like the idea of a set win bonus, 2-0 or 2-1. It would encourage people to stick around.

I don't understand quitting a set, unless the connection is balls. You press rematch, you play immediately. You press quit, you gotta wait a minute or ten, depending on how the servers are feeling that day.

mbpm1

There's no reason to not accept rematches outside of lag unless you just wanna steal a game and make someone salty

I guess sometimes you want that

Leaving after the first match ( outside of it being really lagging) means
A. I lucked out, and I dont I can win again.
B. I got trashed and there is no way can win
C. they are ranked lower and I'm scared to lose my points

I looked at it as cowardly. Dont be a coward.

On another note I actuaully saw somebody with the Skull Rage Quitter symbol in battle lounge. Has anybody else seen these people?

Am I the only one that thinks SFV's netcode is good? Usually works pretty well for me.

I think a lot of it depends on a ton of factors.

Where you are in relation to their servers, who they put you with, what internet they are using, what they are doing WHILE playing you (torrenting, downloading, whatever) etc. I think SFV gets a ton of flak for people having shitty connections (you usually fight P2P, right?), BUT their netcode needs to improve to lessen the blow of fighting wifi warriors. One-sided rollback doesn't help anyone, and they still have room to improve all this stuff.

Leaving after the first match ( outside of it being really lagging) means
A. I lucked out, and I dont I can win again.
B. I got trashed and there is no way can win
C. they are ranked lower and I'm scared to lose my points

I looked at it as cowardly. Dont be a coward.
It means that we both know I lucked out with the win there and that a rematch would lead to me losing the points so I "run" with "the points".

mbpm1

Part of the problem is the one sided rollback, but I think more of the problem is it deciding to match you with players from the moon randomly. Why do you think I can connect with people from the moon sfv

Am I the only one that thinks SFV's netcode is good? Usually works pretty well for me.

Maybe when playing on the base Ps4. Those small fps drops is enough to cause a desync between those with hardware that can maintain a locked 60fps.

I could play exclusively on PC but everyone's hardware differs and I will find more matches in USF4 with the player base of 200 over that 1k + in SFV.

Clipse

etjrAx3l.jpg

Battle Costume 1 bundle on sale for a reasonable price.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism

The vast majority of my matches are excellent, but the issue is that you never know what's happening on the other side. The other day, for the first time, I had a long streak of people not rematching me, but I couldn't perceive any reason why. Then later I had a match that was freezing for seconds at a time, and the other guy still wanted to rematch.

It was eye opening because I knew that one-sided rollback was an issue people complained about, but I thought it mainly applied to minor stuttering (which, to be fair, is enough to ruin a match). I figured that if things were totally fucked for one person then the issue would also manifest in some way for the other person. But that isn't necessarily true. Which means that even when you think things are perfect, your wins might be totally illegitimate.

So while I would have previously defended the netcode, I can't dismiss a pervasive problem like this, even when it doesn't ruin the moment to moment fun and playability of the game.

Teh Lurv

Netcode is fine to me, needs improvements for sure, but its fine with me.

I just really dont prefer playing underwater.

I can play someone with a Swiss flag and the game is silky smooth, then I get matched with "someone from your area!" and the guy has magical teleportation powers.

The game really needs a wifi icon & restrict toggle, but I doubt Capcom will ever do it. I suspect they feel it'd alienate the majority of the PS4 playerbase.

They'd also need the option to avoid playing someone that's playing on Wi-Fi, which opens up a whole new can of win quitting worms.

Fortunately, there's blacklist.

Fortunately, there's blacklist.

Yeah that only holds a small out of players.

Using PeerBlock for region filter and blacklist is the only solution for this mess.

It's baffling how often the game puts me up against South Americans when looking at the blocked connections.

Pompadour

SFV vs USF4 loading time

Wasn't this "fixed" in the CFN update?

That isn't a very helpful video but whatever, it's technically accurate.

The CFN update cut down loading into matches. There was online shit going on in the background that was unnecessarily slowing things down and they alleviated that.

Plus, as demonstrated in that video SFV needs to connect online whereas SF4 doesn't. I figure if you turned off the internet on PS4 SFV would load a bit faster (but slower than USF4), especially if the test is just to see how quickly you can get into a local Vs. match.

But I figure you knew all of this already since you're very active in this thread. You're coming off as acting intentionally obtuse.

Trash game but I will watch the streams and grind out these matches

Wait do I get the colors with this costume DLC?
You get the first 10, 11-15 you gotta get with FM. I'll let CountBlack sum up how I feel.
I mean.. I paid money for the costume then I gotta pay FM per each other after that.

And the way prices are for the colours afterwards are just random. Starts at like 10K - 2K- 5K - 20K.

20K FM for a colour b

haunts write this down as well pls

Let's compare an 8 year old game on the best post-launch port it's gotten to this game that just came out.

Of course that shit loads fast on modern tech. On most PCs you can skip the Vs screen completely by mashing enter. Load that on a fat PS3 and then you have a fair comparison.

Yeah its such a strange comparison.

I mean there are some weird design choices that do increase loading, but the comparison of game made on a different engine for older hardware and a game made today is so off.

I mean just compare the recommend specs of each game on PC: USFIV vs. SFV

There's also the fact that both games are very different in size. The average character size in SFIV, including every costume, is about 60MB, while a single costume in SFV, with no other data attached, is about 50-60MB.

Top Bottom