• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V players: Would you buy a yearly "Costumes Season Pass"?

For more sexy Chun Li I would do anything.
Capcom hath heard thine request, sweet child!

30_summer01.jpg

Kumubou

They added a gacha system for premium customization parts to the game where you pay 300y for a ticket to draw and you have no control over the actual item you get or which character its for. Since most players don't play more than 1-3 characters, you're likely to get something you won't be able to use. (The one "good" thing there is that the in-game gold value for those items tends to be somewhat high, so you can sell off unwanted items and dupes for gold to use to buy items that you want.)

There's other things that they added, like how you can pay a credit to rematch against someone you lost to online -- or you can pay two credits and get that rematch with no risk to your rank points. Yeah, they actually made an option where you can pay extra to protect your rank in certain situations. Woof.

There's a reason why T7 has been the best-grossing game in the series and it's not because it has the most players. If Namco keeps these options for the console version, there will be much teeth gnashing and rending of garmets and threads of GAF decrying Scamco. (It could be worse -- you could be an Idolmaster player.)

Neoxon

Nah, only two i cared so far are Hot Ryu and "naked" Urien
The rumor going around is that Naked Urien will be obtained after doing his Critical Art whenever Urien officially comes out (not sure if this is legit, I'm hunting for the source right now).

Never.

I don't understand why someone would pay for a different costume that brings nothing new to the game. Even more so taking into account those prices...

The rumor going around is that Naked Urien will be obtained after doing his Critical Art whenever Urien officially comes out (not sure if this is legit, I'm hunting for the source right now).

I mean I did some a video of someone using Urien modded into the PC version and he suddenly got naked after the CA. But not really an official source.
But the model exists and it isn't a costume.

But let me choose to be naked all of the time instead please

There were too many positive street fighter threads yesterday. We were going to throw off our weekly tradition there for a minute.

That was close.
Come one, this is not a "SFV Sucks" thread.

I'm actually curious about this and by the looks of it a good number of people like the idea of having the costumes in form of bundles/season passes instead of buying them separately.

I'm actually curious about this and by the looks of it a good number of people like the idea of having the costumes in form of bundles/season passes instead of buying them separately.
Dude, you made a Street Fighter 5 thread in gaming that isn't discussing any recent development. Of course it's gonna devolve into a "SFV Sucks" thread.

Like I said in the first reply, I would be down for a bundle. I actually think they should've had bundles from day 1 of availability, would've gotten more sales that way IMO.

Pompadour

I think they should do it because there's clearly a sizeable portion of the gaming community that has OCD and needs to have everything. Might as well get their money if they aren't going to buy DLC separately.

Dude, you made a Street Fighter 5 thread in gaming that isn't discussing any recent development. Of course it's gonna devolve into a "SFV Sucks" thread.
That wasn't my intent though, unlike other SFV threads that we usually get.

Also, I don't think it has become one of those threads yet. Sure we had a few people say something along those lines but most of the discussion revolves around the costumes/contents and how they should be priced (even outside of SFV and in general fighter genre) which I think is a healthy discussion.

Neoxon

I mean I did some a video of someone using Urien modded into the PC version and he suddenly got naked after the CA. But not really an official source.
But the model exists and it isn't a costume.

But let me choose to be naked all of the time instead please
Could you link me to the video? I mean, I believe you, but I'd like to spread the word.

That wasn't my intent though, unlike other SFV threads that we usually get.

Also, I don't think it has become one of those threads yet. Sure we had a few people say something along those lines but most of the discussion revolves around the costumes/contents and how they should be priced (even outside of SFV and in general fighter genre) which I think is a healthy discussion.
You got lucky lol, another thread complaining about SF5 just got posted so everybody will be complaining there :D

jwillenn

no

If I ever (which is never) get to a point where I am not concerned about getting better at the game, then perhaps yes. Right now I'm more interested and ending this losing streak I'm on with Ibuki than what she was wearing when the loss was taken.

DR2K

Banned
I'd pay good money to remove survival mode and just have regular colors unlocked. Especially if I have to pay for the damn costume.

I'd pay £5 for a all unlocked colour DLC, that unlocked all colours for all costumes for all characters, if a character or costume comes out later, that too gets all colours unlocked automatically.

Tyaren

Nope, bought the game on release and was willing to get the first season pass but was extremely disappointed by the lack of content and poor graphical optimization on PS4 (I must be the only one who hates this pixelated effect on the characters) that I deleted it from the HD after maybe a week and haven't touched it since. I would have sold it already if the steel book case wasn't so pretty. :/

Takuan

Nah. I might pick up a costume or two for characters I play when they go on sale (they can get fucked at $4/pop). For the most part, the default costumes are my favorite.

lupinko

$3 for randomized lotto tickets for premium items, so you don't even get to pick which premium custom you are buying, and availability is only seasonal.

They may change this for FR (we find out in a few days), but for the past year Namco was running grand larceny for vanilla Tekken 7.

I don't agree with that at all and I imagine all the people who bitch about "day 1 DLC" or "on-disc DLC" would disagree with you as well. The season pass essentially says "if you pay x amount of dollars you will get this content specifically" which is way more specific than most season passes that just promise you'll get DLC and maybe a vague listing of how many pieces of DLC without being specific of what DLC you'll get.

The SFV season pass is different than most season passes in that it's essentially just a "bundle" but some of the content isn't available yet (like a season pass). But there's no question what was going to be included in that season pass as soon as it was announced and anything else in it was a bonus added later.

Really, I think I spend 90% of my time on GAF arguing about DLC because there is no "perfect" way people agree on how it should be done aside from maybe "just make it all free" (and even people bitched about it when Splatoon did that). So when you say that a season pass entitles you to a sizeable amount of DLC up front just know that there are thousands of posts on this forum complaining that additional content is being sold too close to launch.

Agree to disagree. If I pay for content ahead of time, then see it given away for free to everyone when it drops, even if temporarily, I'm not thinking "well eventually it'll pay off". I'm thinking I just paid 30 dollars on top of my 60 for nothing. Who would have paid upfront if they'd known that for the first 4 months they could play the new characters for free?

I think anyone had they'd known ahead of time that they could try the first two out before committing to purchase would have done exactly that before committing to the season pass. People who supported the game at launch we're denied that choice by buying into it upfront on the assumption that that was the only way to play them.

Edit: Just to be perfectly clear, I'm not against package deal DLC. I think SFV Season Pass is ok value right now now that they got their delivery timeline and their storefront ironed out.

I'm just saying I wouldn't buy a Season Pass from them sight unseen at launch again, which is usually what "season pass" means. I don't feel like they've earned the trust for that with how they handled the release of 5's content up to this point

KingJ2002

No... season passes should be used toward meaning expansions such as characters & stages... costumes are easy money grabbers for them... but i hope they start offering bundles for these costumes... each premium costume at 4 dollars a pop is really expensive... and you know it won't be the last of it.

DarkoMaledictus

Tier Whore
Personally feel cheated by buying a 30$ season pass. In my mind I figured it included everything released in the first year... ends up costumes and stages are not included. :(

Personally feel cheated by buying a 30$ season pass. In my mind I figured it included everything released in the first year... ends up costumes and stages are not included. :(

You really should've looked up the contents of the season pass ahead of time. Not saying you don't have the right to feel disappointed with the content included, but there's no one to blame but yourself here since it was clear from day one what was included.

Wait...the Costumes aren't included in the Season Pass?

Only the premium costumes for the 6 DLC characters.

Wait...the Costumes aren't included in the Season Pass?

Just one costume per DLC character. There ended up being alot more than that.

You really should've looked up the contents of the season pass ahead of time. Not saying you don't have the right to feel disappointed with the content included, but there's no one to blame but yourself here since it was clear from day one what was included.

I don't agree with that.....I think based on how SF4 handled costume packages, it wasn't unreasonable to assume there wouldn't be this many outside of the Season Pass.

and no one knew what the actual individual price point would end up being. Not even Capcom.

Technically they're fulfilling promises, but the actual value of the package was always unclear.

I mean you have to know that's your own fault right?

Literally everyone who bothered to read the description of the thing knew what they were getting.

Scotia

Banned

Here's a (rough) video here that shows you can get SF3 Urien by doing his critical art or something (it's hard to tell what's actually going on here):

https://youtu.be/ViHnU4L7G4U

EDIT: Turns out I'm very late on this.

fernoca

I'd rather pay for a mode or two to get Fight Money to buy said stuff. Even a Puzzle Fighter II of sorts.

Currently the game is quite limited when it comes to earn Fight Money: you only get it by beating modes once.

So you could play Survival on easy and get 5k, but you get nothing if you beat it again; and you only get said 5k if you beat it fully. So if you're defeated in the 10th fight (out of 10 on easy) you get nothing.

The other option is by playing online matches. But I'm not much of an online player either. Yet, went online fought and won in my first Ranked Match...for 50 FM (when even titles costs thousands).

Decided to spend Fight Money on costumes and stages that are not part of the season pass, and get the characters whenever I end getting said pass.

DarkoMaledictus

Tier Whore
I mean you have to know that's your own fault right?

Literally everyone who bothered to read the description of the thing knew what they were getting.

Sounds like your defending Capcom for the decision... I am just saying paying for a "Season pass" that does not include all dlc in the first year seems wrong. Very greedy...

Or... The Season Pass could include them.

It could be priced a little higher if it did . It makes people who buy season passes feel better knowing they have it all.

KAL2006

Banned
What really pisses me off about this game is uunlocking colors. And when you do manage to beat survival mode you only unlock the color for that costume. Capcom should be called out for this shit.

Sounds like your defending Capcom for the decision... I am just saying paying for a "Season pass" that does not include all dlc in the first year seems wrong. Very greedy...

No one is arguing the supposed value of the 30$ season pass, but your post implied that you didn't know exactly what you were getting. If you did know what you were getting and still felt cheated, then OK, that's your prerogative.

But if you didn't know then you can't blame Capcom for that as they were explicit in what the season pass contained.

Ploid 3.0

I'm done with costumes, I don't play enough of the characters to want a type of subscription to them. I got the story costume for one character that I play a lot and that's enough for me. Also the 2 extra Chun Lee costumes, though I haven't started playing her.

I'll rather just be surprised by my opponent's costumes. Online play only life.

Alucrid

Banned
Just one costume per DLC character. There ended up being alot more than that.

I don't agree with that.....I think based on how SF4 handled costume packages, it wasn't unreasonable to assume there wouldn't be this many outside of the Season Pass.

and no one knew what the actual individual price point would end up being. Not even Capcom.

Technically they're fulfilling promises, but the actual value of the package was always unclear.

no. not at all.

100 Zenny essentially equals $1. However, Zenny will be sold in several denominations, giving everyone choice and even bonus amounts depending on how much is purchased! Some of the options are listed below:
100 Zenny = Purchase for $0.99
550 Zenny = Purchase for $4.99 (receive a 50 Zenny bonus)
1200 Zenny = Purchase for $9.90 (receive a 200 Zenny bonus)
4000 Zenny = Purchase for $29.99 (receive a 1000 Zenny bonus)

For $29.99, Street Fighter V players get all six additional characters, each with a premium costume, in addition to an exclusive PS4 Theme. Each character would cost 600 Zenny individually, and each premium costume would cost 400 Zenny individually, making this a $60 value for half the price! As a final incentive, in North America, if you purchase the 2016 Season Pass before February 16th you will receive three PS4 avatars (Ryu, Chun-Li, and M. Bison) for free!

so each character is 600 zenny or $6 which is true. each costume is 400 zenny or $4 which is true. and this shit was all posted months before sf v released. so you knew exactly what you were getting and the value of it.

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2015...v-f-a-n-g-revealed-season-pass-on-sale-today/

Top Bottom