• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Strike TWO for Beyonce. NFL says power was "fluctuating" during her rehearsals

Status
Not open for further replies.

MIMIC

Banned
ct6BzGm.jpg

Just saw it on CNN. She can't catch a break these days, can she?
qHrAGwN.gif

Nothing on the Internet about the new update yet.

EDIT: No statement from the NFL yet (regarding what I heard on CNN); this is another source. From CBS Sports:

Esiason told Beyonce blew Dome's electricity twice in rehearsals
Unless you fell asleep after the Ravens took a 22-point lead vs. the 49ers in Super Bowl XLVII, you probably know there was a 34-minute third-quarter power outage at the Superdome.

While NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell reassured folks Monday morning that the mishap wouldn't affect New Orleans' chances for future Super Bowls, he also said there was “no indication” Beyonce's well-received halftime show played a role in the outage.

That's not what CBS analyst Boomer Esiason believes.

According to Esiason, he was told second-hand that Beyonce's show caused electrical problems during rehearsals.

Said Esiason (via CBS New York): “By the way, Beyonce blew the electric in the Superdome twice, I'm told, during her rehearsals during the week.”

Then, Esiason backtracked a bit and clarified: “But all I know we're up there (on Sunday) and (radio announcer) Kevin Harlan says to me, ‘Do you hear that buzzing?' And it sounded like an electrical situation. It was not an alarm of any sort. It just sounded like a light getting ready to blow, that kind of thing. But it was loud, and it was very prevalent to us because we were so close to the ceiling. And then literally about five or six minutes later, that's when the power went out.

“And then at that point, as a broadcaster, you start trying to speculate and you've got to be careful about what you're saying.”

Goodell, though, made clear that, as far as he knows, the disruption had nothing to do with Beyonce and that the show ran on generated power (and was not on the Superdome's power grid).

Honestly I was saying that during the stoppage. I wouldn't be surprised if her performance blew out the power because she used so much of it.

She's getting called the most beautiful woman alive, she's famous, and rich as fuck. I don't think she gives a shit.

I saw this yesterday and had some people tell me that it was her fault. Does anyone really think she sits down and calculates the power needed? She's there to perform, not design the backgrounds and effects.

AndyD

aka andydumi
They said they had issues as far back as October. They tried to improve the grid, but I guess didn't do enough.

KHarvey16

Doug Thornton, the Superdome manager, says it wasn't Beyonce in this ESPN article.

Corroborated by a CNN article too:

A fire alarm that was hit prior to halftime appears to have had nothing to do with the outage, nor did the halftime show, Thornton said. The halftime presentation was run on generated power, "which means it was not on our power grid at all," he said.

http://www.cnn.com/2013/02/04/us/sports-super-bowl-outage-probe/index.html

GQman2121

Banned
OP really needs updating. Halftime show had its own generators.

Don't let separate generators get in the way of this story. People have to pay for what happened to.....

Wait, why does this shit matter now that the game is over? How is this even really news?

They--meaning the Super Bowl producers and the NFL--need to figure things out and learn how to avoid this in the future. But why does the public give a shit or news outlets think this deserves attention?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom