• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Strong Female Characters...

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
fireberries2.jpg

one of my favorite female lead characters ( i know its a game, but she definitely falls into the great female MCs of yesteryear)
Are you an ant

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
The most stronger girl is and always will be Kat from gravity Rush

kunonabi

Sometimes with the same character even.

77c60b689e17e7eb120ca703c16609b1.jpg

Carol Danvers in Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes is a badass pilot turned superhero. She's excited by the prospect of joining the Avengers and becomes one of their strongest members but still defers to Captain America as the leader. She's friendly with the other members and a team player.

Carol in the MCU however...

1bb9d0c469d43c61d8a0828b84ec386e.jpg

Well... I guess I don't need to elaborate.

The sad thing is Ms. Marvel can be an exceptionally compelling and interesting character. Her early comics dealing with the blackouts and the two consciousnesses fighting each other and the existential terror were great stuff and you had the workplace conflicts and actual relatable family drama instead of the cartoonish garbage the movie went with. Her post House of M stuff was great too with her self-esteem issues stemming from trying to be that hero she was in that alternate reality.

Instead we got a complete nothing of a character with no growth, personality, or significant obstacles to overcome.

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
Doctor Who didn't tank because it had a strong female character as the lead. It tanked because the writing has been shit and been on a decline in quality since before she even got there. Same goes for Star Wars. It didn't fail because of a female lead. It failed because Disney had no idea what they were doing.

I haven't seen the Star Trek series though so I can't speak to that.

While I agree the writing has been on the decline for Doctor who for a while, it took a HUGE jump in awfulness for the current doctor, and part of it is due to the woke BBC concluding that protected groups may have no flaws.I don’t think anyone objected to Missy as the female Master because she was ducking brilliant. This doctor however, not so much. However the bigger problem is the terrible sidekicks nowhere near the quality of Rose, Ms Pond or even the lesbian one whose name temporarily escapes me (which is annoying because I enjoyed her take on it). Add to that every episode is trying to teach a lesson in wokeness. It’s bloody hard to write well under such constraints.

mcjmetroid

Was Rey really the problem with the ST? I mean maybe a problem, but surely not THE problem?

Katee Sackoff said it best a couple years ago

“Battlestar Galactica didn’t have to tell you that Starbuck was a woman, she just was.”

Same goes for Ripley in Alien/Aliens

These are the standards that new female leads should be written toward
Agreed I cannot stand this winking at the camera "did you know I'm a woman" nonsense many folks seem to do.

It's not like I'm looking for it but I groan Everytime they do it.

I would argue it's far more sexist than not drawing any attention to it.

drganon

Was Rey really the problem with the ST? I mean maybe a problem, but surely not THE problem?

Katee Sackoff said it best a couple years ago

“Battlestar Galactica didn’t have to tell you that Starbuck was a woman, she just was.”

Same goes for Ripley in Alien/Aliens

These are the standards that new female leads should be written toward
Rey wasn't the problem, she was a symptom. Jj being a bad writer is the problem.

Top Bottom