• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Studios Flirt With Offering Movies Early in Home for $30

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zeus Molecules

illegal immigrants are stealing our air
Half the reason why people still go to movies is the experience of being in a giant room in the dark watching the giant screen and eating expensive butter covered popcorn...... usually with family, friends, or a date.

I am not saying this idea won't work with somebut if you cut that out to much more people will just bootleg it anyway...... it's relatively easy to bootleg so people going to films (and paying to do it) isn't exclusively due to wanting to watch the movie.

ZBR

Still not really worth it for me. The theatre chain in my city offers $5 Tuesdays and $5 Student Thursdays (up through college students).

MaxDOL

In my country people can watch new movies with simple google search.
Facebook live are also popular.
Yes you did not read it wrong......many people here watch movies,tv shows and live sports through Facebook live.

HardRojo

You people saying this is too steep a price didn't even think about having friends over? It's the first thing that came to my mind lol, don't expect to pay single ticket pricing for something like this.

This is a good idea actually, if I miss a movie I don't have to wait too long for it to be available in other services, plus I could split the cost with 3 or 4 friends.

In my country people can watch new movies with simple google search.
Facebook live are also popular.
Yes you did not read it wrong......many people here watch movies,tv shows and live sports through Facebook live.
Well, that's not an official and legal way to watch them.

dhlt25

too expensive. In hawaii we have the $6 tuesday deal for pretty all the main theaters along with cheap food deal, I'm not gonna pay $30 for a new movie

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
how much is a fucking movie where you live

non matinee prices near me are like 7 bucks a ticket

The nearest theater charges $13 for 2D evening screenings.
I used to live in the South Bay area of LA and tickets there broke the $10 barrier around 2004.

They're charging that much for 4K digital copies months after release.
That's like saying "How dare they charge $25 for a Blu-ray?" just because it will be $7.99 five or six months later.

Yeah you purchase that 4K for $30 not rent it for $30 for the difference of what 10 weeks? If you're going to throw that much at a one time viewing you might as well enjoy the theater.

Yeah you purchase that 4K for $30 not rent it for $30 for the difference of what 10 weeks? If you're going to throw that much at a one time viewing you might as well enjoy the theater.

I enjoy watching movies at home with just family and friends so much more than watching it in a theater.

Hex

Banned

There in lies the difference between us.
It has been quite a while since I have enjoyed the theater experience.
I still try for movies I want to support, but whether it is loud kids, giggling idiots, crying babies, fucktards who happened to read something online before they came and consider themselves an expert and can't shut up, the idiot trying to play off that they are at a sci fi or horror movie to their date so they shit on it through the entire thing, people with adolescent bladders who constantly get up back and forth...

Vs home, 55" HDR 4k with decent sound system, my comfy couch, something just cooked and my comfy pants.

I agree with the vast majority of movies. But there are some that are worth seeing on the big screen the rest I have the patience to wait for a home release.

Sure, there are a few that I might want to see on the big screen but for the most part I just want to watch the movie right away and I'd rather do that at home.

Kaizer

Banned
Holy Shit, from the way some Gaffers are talking in here, I've actually got it good only having to pay $9.00 for Matinee here in Georgia - and I thought that was expensive!

On topic though, I really like this idea, assuming you have family or friends to split the cost with, it'd be cool to be able to not always have to wait months for a Streaming/Blu-Ray & DVD release of a film if you don't feel like seeing it in theaters. I still quite enjoy the spectacle of the theater experience, there's just some movies that aren't remotely the same when watching on the "small-screen" of your TV compared to a theater. I tried watching Avatar on AMC a few weeks ago, as I haven't seen it since it originally came out and without the 3-D or large theater screen & speakers it just wasn't the same.

Holy Shit, from the way some Gaffers are talking in here, I've actually got it good only having to pay $9.00 for Matinee here in Georgia - and I thought that was expensive!

$18.50 Australian (14 USD) for an adult ticket where I live. On Tuesdays you can get $13 tickets (10 usd).

If you want popcorn+drinks, the price becomes just straight up silly. Like $25 for a combo. 2 people on tuesdays with popcorn and drinks is $50 Australian.

Weetrick

Movies are expensive in many cities. Weekend nights are $15 - $20 a ticket where I live. That means it's $30 - $40 minimum, not considering any food/drinks we buy. People with kids have it even worse.

We haven't had $7 prices for weekend, non-matinee since the early '00s tbh.

Pizza

Shit if I could see a hype movie at my own home with pizza/narcotics with friends that sounds well worth the $30. Hell I'd host and drop the cash if other people brought food. Avoiding lines and having an event at my house seems worth $30 imo

I wouldnt do that for just any movie though, it'd have to be something sweet. I honestly do like the theatre and off peak prices aren't that bad

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
30$ is nothing compared to theater costs. If I got at anytime that isn't a matinee, looking at 10$+ a ticket, add on 3 for 3D, add on another 3 for Imax, etc.

30 bucks, and getting 6 or 7 friends over to watch is perfect

Unless its the same bitrate as blu ray ill probably end up passing. I don't want dolby pro logic. I didnt spend good of money on a home theater to get a sub par experience. Now if it allows preloading (so it doesnt have to pause to buffer) 1080p and lossless audio I would actually watch way more new releases than i do now.

If not ill watch in the theater and then wait for the home release on disc.

AlStrong

ixsd5Ju.jpg

Weetrick

Unless its the same bitrate as blu ray ill probably end up passing. I don't want dolby pro logic. I didnt spend good of money on a home theater to get a sub par experience. Now if it allows preloading (so it doesnt have to pause to buffer) 1080p and lossless audio I would actually watch way more new releases than i do now.

If not ill watch in the theater and then wait for the home release on disc.

That's a great point. It's why I still use Redbox to rent blurays and all my friends think I'm insane for not just streaming from a sketchy website.

There in lies the difference between us.
It has been quite a while since I have enjoyed the theater experience.
I still try for movies I want to support, but whether it is loud kids, giggling idiots, crying babies, fucktards who happened to read something online before they came and consider themselves an expert and can't shut up, the idiot trying to play off that they are at a sci fi or horror movie to their date so they shit on it through the entire thing, people with adolescent bladders who constantly get up back and forth...

Vs home, 55" HDR 4k with decent sound system, my comfy couch, something just cooked and my comfy pants.

Yeah, I don't go to theaters often because of just one bad experience, let alone allowing multiple resentments build up. I just rather own a movie at that price. I prefer that scenerio too but I don't value that one time experience so much I can't wait. Paying a premium to see any form of media just a little sooner seems like a waste.

But it's a nice option to have, it clearly appeals to some. I'll just never use it.

Magnet use to release all their movies the same day as theaters for the same rental fee as everyone else. They they stop doing that?

$30 sounds pretty good. It gets me like mid-30 to near $40 for just 3 adults around my parts.

If you are a person that just goes by yourself or only buys your own ticket, or live a place where it's still less than $10, than I guess it's not worth it.

120v

this was always inevitable... average movie going experience totals out to $30-50, home entertainment setups while no replacement for theater are pretty much "there", no need for $10,000+ installments anymore, and with the streaming age people can't be arsed with leaving the home for a movie anymore unless its a family event or date or whatever

i'd gladly pay a premium to avoid lines, not deal with kids running around ect.

daveo42

Banned
Get a bunch of people to chip in for a movie and watch at home sounds like a good idea. With a decent enough speaker system, you can replicate most of the cinema experience. Even without it, most non-blockbuster films would be perfectly fine.

dsk1210

I would be up for this if it was 4k on my OLED, invite a friend and its a cinema cost with the luxury of home and smoke breaks if needed.

Damn, I picked the wrong thread.

I don't know about you guys, but at least 50% of the reason I watch a movie in the theater is because I want that theater experience. I don't care how good your home system is, unless you live in a theater, I'm always going to prefer that giant screen and ridiculous sound.

I love going to the theater because of the large screen and the experience, but with a 140" screen and a Dolby Atmos setup, I'm willing to watch at home for at $30 for current in theater movies.

Where do you guys live? Matinee here costs 6.50 per ticket (Houston, TX) .... 30$ is way too much. BTW I don't buy any concessions so yeah.. Then again I never go opening night to any movie as it is crowded and I do not care for the crowds and noise.

Matinee is $10 here in San Jose.

They're $12 to $13 for non-matinee and that's not adding in things like IMAX, or 3D.

I'd be totally down for this. Movies around me cost $8-10. Getting 3+ friends together and splitting the cost for the benefit of watching a movie on a comfy couch at home with a couple drinks, that sounds great.

Biske

Seeing as movie tickets during the evening are like 13 dollars or more. Only really need 2 or 3 people to split it with you. Have a movie party and you are all watching for a couple bucks. Then it's cheaper.

AxeMan

GAF is a strange place when discussing the value of money.

This is considered poor value for $30

NwqsK.jpg

yet $30 to watch a not so new release in your own home is good value.

GAF is a strange place when discussing the value of money.

This is considered poor value for $30

NwqsK.jpg

yet $30 to watch a not so new release in your own home is good value.

But it is a good value for some. $30 is about how much it costs for two people to go see a movie in a lot of places. Now you get to do it at home with as many people as you want for the same price. An overpriced meal has nothing to do with that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom