• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Studios Flirt With Offering Movies Early in Home for $30

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
As others have said- movie theaters will hate this. Weird question but what's the optics/geometry of being ten feet from a 70 inch LCD versus 150 feet from a 30 foot screen.

Sanjuro

Where do you guys live? Matinee here costs 6.50 per ticket (Houston, TX) .... 30$ is way too much. BTW I don't buy any concessions so yeah.. Then again I never go opening night to any movie as it is crowded and I do not care for the crowds and noise.

Matinee prices, baby! Drink it in MANNNNNNNNNNN.

6vM4lvE.png

Realistically though, I usually anticipate spending at least $12-17 on a single movie ticket no matter when I go to the cinemas now.

louiedog

Matinee prices, baby! Drink it in MANNNNNNNNNNN.

6vM4lvE.png

Realistically though, I usually anticipate spending at least $12-17 on a single movie ticket no matter when I go to the cinemas now.

How lux is that theater that they have $28 tickets in Massachusetts?

I live in a much more expensive city and our matinees are less than half that in the nicer upscale theaters.

edit: Looked it up and it seems like a combo of the nice theaters available to me. We have one with ~$12-$13 matinees with big plush reclining seats and another with good food and table service which is like $9.50 for a matinee. With the $5 food voucher and unlimited popcorn I suppose it's not that much more expensive, but I never get plain popcorn and the SuperLux online menu doesn't look as good to me.

Jacce

Banned
GAF is a strange place when discussing the value of money.

This is considered poor value for $30

NwqsK.jpg

yet $30 to watch a not so new release in your own home is good value.
Why the hell would it be cheaper at home (your price is MUCH MUCH MUCH cheaper since a ticket costs 10-12 per person often) vs theater? That makes NO sense.

Most people are fine with paying for movie tickets, the theater industry is doing very well.

Your idea is to price it same day release for an entire family at potentially half the price the vast majority of people are fine with paying to see it in a theater?

Your idea is to vastly under-price something below what the market is willing to pay. That is like insisting Apple should charge $100 off contract for a new iPhone.

zelas

Really depends on where you live. A nice, new theater near us here in Raleigh is $7.50 matinee and $10 regular. But when we lived in LA? You were lucky if you could find tickets under $15 (and that was 7 years ago now, I'm sure it's gotten worse since then).

Yeah, almost every theater in MD and DC is less than $15. And I'm talking reserved, recliner seating and evening showtimes. Even the few VA theaters I've been to recently were less than $15.

Besides most people going to the theaters aren't paying those evening or imax/3d prices with the average national ticket price being less than $9. $30 movies at home would be a huge jump, in more ways than one, for people who aren't dragging around kids.

AndyD

aka andydumi
I've heard this damn story like 8 times over the past few years

It'll happen eventually

Yep. That said it needs to be fantastic bitrate and quality.

With two kids, we either spend 30-40 on tickets for all 4 of us, or significantly more on a babysitter for my wife and I to go see a movie. I would totally spend $30 to see a movie in the house if it's high quality and you get reasonable terms (a whole weekend to see it) and not a month late, but a week after release. By a month it's at the discount theater near us.

Samus4145

$30 is a fine price point, but not if its 30 days after release. By that time, I'd rather wait for it to come to standard rental place. Release it day and date with theater release and I'll jump all over that.

Big Blue

Lol, it looks like we have a lot of lonely GAFers. This would be great for me. I have a pretty decent bedroom HT setup. If the quality is there, I'm open to this.

Mega

Banned
$30?
What a rip. Needs to be $5-$10 max.

$30 is a steal if you live with someone and especially if you have kids. No gas/travel cost, no need to buy pricey snacks and drinks, the peace of mind not having to deal with theater idiocy and the time saved alone is worth it. Make it the week of release too. Arbitrary waiting weeks or up to a month sucks.

I want this bad. I'm sick of going to the movies. It's annoying at least half the time. My moviegoing experience of Split was ruined by all the teenagers constantly taking out their bright smartphones mid-movie to snapchat pics and short clips of the movie. It had been a while since I last went to see a movie so I had never experienced that before. Fucking unreal and absolutely awful.

jonno394

Release it to rent within 20 days and i'll bit at $30. Split that between 3 people (the guys I usually go cinema with) and it's a bargain to avoid the crapness of my local cinemas, and the annoying people using phones, eating loud, talking etc

Rizific

Small price to pay to avoid all the bullshit that comes with movie theaters. I'd probably watch several new movies a year if this became a thing.

br3wnor

$30 isn't bad but waiting 45 days for that I'll probably just wait another couple of months until it's available on demand for $5-6. I don't have kids but the way I do it now is the vast majority of movies I just wait until they're available to rent before seeing them and if I really want to see a movie (Most recently John Wick 2 and Get Out), I'll go to a Sunday matinee for $6.50 and get the big screen experience. The theaters near me have all moved towards the big leather reclining seats as well, so that makes it an easier sell. Can't imagine taking kids to the theater though so I could see myself taking advantage of something like this for family movies once kids are in the picture.

Swass

This would be budget for a family of 4 on a new family movie release.. I think this is a great idea, but I do wonder how they are going to thwart piracy as having a webrip of a movie available that soon could do serious damage.

I do think that going to theaters to watch a movie is going to be a niche experience in a couple decades.. the structure just doesn't hold up today with cheap giant screens, 11 channel home theater sound systems, and digital delivery..

Some of these ticket prices are nuts.

It's $5 a ticket all day on Tuesdays and Thursdays at the theater I go to.

I would also never pay $30 to rent, or even own a movie. Ever.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
I can't imagine any scenario, no matter how many spouses or childrenI had, where I'd think "Sure I'll pay $30 for a movie a month after it releases instead of waiting another two months and paying $3"

Opening night and maybe I can see the argument. A month after release? Go to the theater and have it basically to your family alone anyway.

Sanke__

The fact they even suggested $50 at more than 7 days is fucking disgusting

I'd be down for $30 after 7 days or $20 after 14

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
I can't imagine any scenario, no matter how many spouses or childrenI had, where I'd think "Sure I'll pay $30 for a movie a month after it releases instead of waiting another two months and paying $3"

Opening night and maybe I can see the argument. A month after release? Go to the theater and have it basically to your family alone anyway.

That'll be the most difficult issue - there's a point where the cost is too much because the normal release is close enough. If they can hit that sweet spot of price and timing, I think it could work. Of course, piracy would be the #1 issue. If it streams across my screen, I'm guessing someone will be able to capture it.

deadlast

5 people live in my house. If I could pay 50 bucks and have friends over for a movie party, that would save me some serious cash.

It would be good for movie night with friends or family, but I like the theater experience of sharing a hype movie with a crowd so idk how much I'd use this.

Like I could see myself doing it for movies I have no need for seeing in theaters. But action and spectacle films I'll always prefer the theater.

HvySky

Considering movie night with the family or a group of friends would cost at least $50-$60 before food is even considered, this would be a great deal. I'd definitely do this if I had people over.

For context, a ticket at my theater is $12.50 on a regular night, and a large popcorn is like $9 or some insane shit like that.

Weebos

Banned
Seems like a fine deal, pretty similar price for two people going out to the movies, and I don't have to actually go outside.

Pretty good deal with four or more people.

Surfinn

Seems like a pretty good deal but only if utilized by groups of people. Invite everybody over to the one home theater that's set up for a great experience. 5+ people makes it an equal deal to discount Tuesday, right?

Topper

We have two young children, no family nearby and haven't settled on a regular babysitter yet. I need this in my life. Even if we did have a babysitter, this would likely end up being cheaper.

This is my life right now, closest family is 5 hours away I have 2 kids so nights out to see a movie cost me around $100-150. I would gladly spend 30$.

akileese

GAF is a strange place when discussing the value of money.

This is considered poor value for $30

NwqsK.jpg

yet $30 to watch a not so new release in your own home is good value.

Nice stealth legendary thread post.

Can I split a $30 Italian meal with 5 people? I mean I could, but it wouldn't retain a lot of it's value. I could however, invite 5 friends over and split the price 6 ways which makes it much more valuable.

This sort of stuff is not aimed at single people who go to movies by themselves. It's aimed at the families who when they go to the movies, it cost them 50-60 bucks.

Additionally,
663812.jpg

My only worry is that it'll get so popular that it will drive the theaters out of business. Then we'd be stuck paying $30 to see every new movie.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom