• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Studios Flirt With Offering Movies Early in Home for $30

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anth0ny

$30 is shockingly low, less than 2 tickets.

I don't see this happening. Would screw theatres real bad, and don't even get started with the piracy discussion.

I wonder if most of the people that say 30 dollars is too much are younger folk early, mid 20's because I would gladly pay 30-50 to watch Logan right now and not have to deal with the typical theater crowd or insane food prices.

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member
that would be awesome. tickets for me and lilith alone are 25€. no train ticket/drinks or nachos included..

for $30 I'd watch way more movies. especially in my own home.

You guys obviously haven't been to the theater lately.

$30 is less than two tickets.

For a couple, that's already cheaper than the theater, plus no dealing with lines or chatty idiots.

For a family, that's a freakin' steal.

^this

TheBowen

Sat alone in a boggy marsh
Doubt theatres would let this happen. I know people who would be willing to pay £25 just to avoid the effort of having to go to a cinema when the nearest one is far away

I would use this for certain movies that i could split with my friends, but in the end big movies like star wars i would still want to get the cinema experience.

Wood Man

Since theater edict is dead I would down for this. Matinees are $10 at my theater. This doesn't sound too crazy as long as you're not watching it by yourself.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
Non-matinee tickets here are $13-15, so $30 is actually cheaper than going to the theater when you factor in parking and "convenience fees."

I love going to the theater because of the large screen and the experience, but with a 140" screen and a Dolby Atmos setup, I'm willing to watch at home for at $30 for current in theater movies.

Agree, except i actually think my home setup exceeds the average theater experience. Now RPX or Imax is another story.

Alex

Theater tickets are 10 apiece here, at the minimum, and the food is so expensive and one of our two main theaters is pretty icky. I'd opt for this in pretty much any case even without a fancy HT setup.

At least for me, $10-15 a ticket in theaters and $20-25 to own a thing at home make it such that unless I *must* see it in theaters, I just buy the BR.

$30 to *rent* is out of the question, IMO. Now if you're selling it to me a month after it hits theaters for $30, and it was on a physical disc (because I want that bitrate), then I'm totally game.

this was always inevitable... average movie going experience totals out to $30-50, home entertainment setups while no replacement for theater are pretty much "there", no need for $10,000+ installments anymore, and with the streaming age people can't be arsed with leaving the home for a movie anymore unless its a family event or date or whatever

i'd gladly pay a premium to avoid lines, not deal with kids running around ect.

the real kicker is the ability to pause, imo.

For a couple, that's already cheaper than the theater, plus no dealing with lines or chatty idiots.

It would be awesome if this also kept people who bring their babies to the movies home.

Abounder

Banned
2 IMAX tickets, vs skipping the nightmare of movie theater parking lots. Yea I'd consider it

Netflix really does have big movie studios shaking in their boots, don't they?

Word although Amazon is the real juggernaut, these companies can fart out entertainment that rivals big studios

Bubba T

Holy Shit, from the way some Gaffers are talking in here, I've actually got it good only having to pay $9.00 for Matinee here in Georgia - and I thought that was expensive!

A lot of these people also say Spotify premium/Google Play Music is too expensive at 10 dollars a month but spend hundreds/thousands on other forms of entertainment. It's all relative to their own individual spending habits.

I think if you watch this with family or several other people it becomes well worth it. Especially when you can play prepare your own food for less than you would pay at the movies.

andthebeatgoeson

If it's 30 bucks, I'm still not getting a large screen and a great sound system.

But it would help with crowds... Nevermind, it's over 2 weeks after the movie premiered.

Zalasta

Think of it this way, it might keep some of the undesirable audiences at home (like parents who take loud kids and crying babies to R rated movies), thereby improving your theater going experience.

I don't mind it as an option, but I doubt I would pay money for it unless it is cost effective to do so (as in cheaper than paying for multiple tickets).

Harp

Seeing how they can't seem to stream a movie for less the 3 times the amount you can get it at Redbox. I can only imagine that the 30 dollar price is the VHS quality. With the 720p HD version with mono sound will be 50.

LosDaddie

Banned
Will never happen, especially at $30.

But as any father like myself will tell you, this deal would make watching new movies so much cheaper.

One issue I have is that the current 70-90 day releases are usually VOD first which are lower quality than blu ray. For 80% of movies this is just fine to me, but some movies, especially CGI heavy, I really want to use preferably a 4k UHD or at the least a 1080p blu ray, not a streaming VOD which usually is half or less the bitrate of a blu ray.

I really hope they will do 4k ultraviolet or something for the 17 or 30 day releases, otherwise it now becomes doubly annoying that you can either watch, say Logan, after 30 days at home at a lower bitrate, wait 70 days for an equivalent VOD on your cable provider, or wait 100 days (or whatever) for the bluray/UHD to show up at Amazon Prime/redbox for the "best" version.

JdFoX187

Banned
Five to 10 years ago, I would have jumped all over this. Now, with a lot less time to do stuff and a family to spend time with, I just don't have as much interest. We go to the movies a lot and it's usually about $15-30 for my wife and I, depending on whether we take in an earlier showing or if it's IMAX. But at that point, I've seen the movie and I'll probably buy it when it hits UHD or blu-ray, but it might sit on my shelf for another several months before I'll watch it again because I don't even have time to see all the movies and TV shows I'd like to watch -- let alone watch something over again just after seeing it recently. And if this is a chance to rent a movie to watch 30 days after it's left theaters, I'll just wait and pay that $30 (or less) and buy the UHD or spend a few dollars and rent it from Redbox.

FinKL

$30 is a steal the second you have more than yourself watching with you.

I would gladly pay $50 for some of these releases, as having a newborn pretty much restricts you from going out. Wife not too fond of babysitters just yet.

BumRush

$30, 3 weeks after release would be a pretty good price in my mind. If I could have my family of 4 pay $30 to see every new Disney film in the comfort of our house, I'd do it in a heartbeat.

Studios would probably want some device that can scan the room to see how many people are watching @_@

Sony & MS already both have patents and functioning tech for that. I'd also be shocked if any Smart TV manufacturer didn't have something along those lines as well.

I personally consider it an invasion of my home, but they have already planned for it long ago and are already able to apply metrics for demography measures as well.

Ensoul

30 bucks? All over this. I have a family of 4 and between the tickets and popcorn I am in for well over 30 dollars.

Going by this thread there is an market for it but it's not for me. I go to the cinema with friends for the experience, not watching something early.

I know cinema for families with children are costly nightmares so that there is an large group to sell to I guess.

Martian

Whoa, thats a lot of money.
I can understand that would be the pricepoint to compete with 3-4 movie tickets, but for someone thay usually goes to the movies by himself (for 20 euro a month), 30 bucks a movie is wayyyh too much.

Cool idea, just not for me. I would love a service on demand, for movies that have been out for like a month, but I suppose that is still a while away

gutshot

Really depends on where you live. A nice, new theater near us here in Raleigh is $7.50 matinee and $10 regular. But when we lived in LA? You were lucky if you could find tickets under $15 (and that was 7 years ago now, I'm sure it's gotten worse since then).

R-User!

Interesting...

Perhaps less assholes will go to theaters and opt to wait and watch at home, and then maybe theaters will charge more to make up for the losses while simultaneously upgrading the experience to make it more immersive and more attuned to creating an environment that is about the film experience and not the interruptions, noise and distractions.

In an ideal scenario that would be the case, but I'm skeptical that'll come any time soon... :/

Seventy70

This sounds great. After getting a good surround setup you really start to see the movie theater experience for what it really is. It's just a a room with a bunch of uncomfortable seats and obnoxious people shoved into it.

$30 fucking dollars, fuck that. I'd just go to a matinee for the same cost, and I live 50 miles away from the closest theater. Half that, and I'd do it. $15 is still expensive for a rental, but for getting it early, it'd be worth the cost.

Edit: I suppose the cost is more and more worth it if you split with friends. I suppose watching a theater experience with roommates is totally worth it, given we all live in the middle of fucking nowheresville.

Value goes up exponentially if you have kids. It's >$40 just to get a family of four to a matinee in major cities, before concessions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom