• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

(Study) Does organic food turn people into jerks?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enron

Banned
similar to bicycle riders, in my experience, they are arrogant jerks cos they dont drive cars so they think they are better than thou!

Oh my god thisssssssss

In midtown atlanta, jerk cyclists cycle in packs and WILL align themselves in a 2-or-3 wide alignment to keep cars from passing them. RAGE

smug_alert.jpg

Spot on man.

danwarb

same thing could be said about any group that thinks they're having a positive affect on society.
If those groups insist on having a positive effect on society they should keep it to themselves. People don't need to feel bad about directly or otherwise having a greater negative effect on others than is necessary.

As a chemist, this "organic food" label pisses me off. ALL food is organic.

The word has several meanings. In the chemical sense you're right, but organic can also be used to used to mean "as things are found; natural", or to mean "belonging to an organ", or to mean "a military unit permanently attached to some parent organization, rather than temporarily".

yeah I could believe this.

the same way that people who have quit smoking, or lost weight themselves, tend to be the biggest dicks about smoking or food control, because hey, if they can do it... etc.

This is my biggest fear about losing weight. I don't want to become "that guy."

"Yeah, I adopted a healthier lifestyle, went from this (Shows fat picture) to this (Lifts shirt to reveal six-pack abs). It's all about choosing health, man."

The reality is I'm not getting any younger and I worry about my health as I age and suffering in my final years. I just don't want to die a person in agony because I lost limbs to diabetes and have crippling arthritis because my joints wore out years ago due to my excess weight.

Cheech

This behavior isn't limited to food. I think this this same thing every time I see "dudebro" or "bros" brought up as a way to disparage those who don't see the "art", "genius", or whatever with regards to somebody's pet game that sold 5 copies.

"Yeah, I adopted a healthier lifestyle, went from this (Shows fat picture) to this (Lifts shirt to reveal six-pack abs). It's all about choosing health, man."

The reality is I'm not getting any younger and I worry about my health as I age and suffering in my final years. I just don't want to die a person in agony because I lost limbs to diabetes and have crippling arthritis because my joints wore out years ago due to my excess weight.

I lost 50 pounds within the last year, and am continuing to lose. Mostly, you just feel fucking great. I certainly don't look down on people who haven't taken that step to lose weight. It's the hardest thing I've ever done, and is a daily battle. I guarantee you you will never become one of "those" people, because your downward spiral is only one Snickers bar away.

Snakeyes

That's entirely up to you though. It's not like being skinny makes you brag against your will.

All the study shows is that certain groups that have an air of exclusivity attract judgmental people. The sneakerhead community mocks people that just buy cheap shoes despite them being made in the same factories and the designer sneaker community hates on Jordans while fawning over glorified Chuck Taylor redesigns. I've eaten organic whenever possible since my early childhood but I would never try to force my choice on others or make them feel bad about themselves. Hell, I even tease those that make a big deal about eating organic just for kicks.

As a chemist, this "organic food" label pisses me off. ALL food is organic.

Organic. Free Range. Green Energy. It's (partly) all the same bullshit. I get that there is some good will and ideas behind them. But most of the time the meaning of the label is quite malleable and is used for the benefit of advertising the brand.

Glutards (self-diagnosed celiacs) are funny. The gluten free lifestyle makes them feel special, like part of an exclusive club. Thing is, it's a crippling, potentially dangerous illness that can kill you. It's baffling that it somehow became trendy.

I don't know why certain people can attribute moral characteristics to the food you eat. It makes no sense.

ugh, two of my friends started doing this a few months ago. Shit drives me crazy. I can't even talk about it with them.

At least they stopped drinking all my beer

Food processors have done a really great job at forming an organic subculture. The diehards are really crazy about it.

I'd say at least 60-70% of the organic farmers I know do it because the margins are higher, not because they truly believe in the ethos surrounding it. Which would probably disappoint a lot of the hardcore organic consumers.

Also, I think a lot of them would be disappointed to discover that the whole carbon footprint argument is largely a load of bunk.

marrec

Banned
ugh, two of my friends started doing this a few months ago. Shit drives me crazy. I can't even talk about it with them.

At least they stopped drinking all my beer

One of the major problems with people who exclude Gluten from their diet because of some fad is that when or if they are finally tested for Celiac Disease it comes up as a false positive so they THINK they have a debilitating and life threatening disease when really they're just idiots who think Gluten is bad.

Snakeyes

If those groups insist on having a positive effect on society they should keep it to themselves. People don't need to feel bad about directly or otherwise having a greater negative effect on others than is necessary.

Sorry, but I'll have to disagree. You can't spread a positive message by keeping it to yourself. It's unfortunate that many go about it in an annoying manner, because it leads to people adopting your attitude. And that doesn't really help anyone in the end.

Sorry, but I'll have to disagree. You can't spread a positive message by keeping it to yourself. It's unfortunate that many go about it in an annoying manner, because it leads to people adopting your attitude. And that doesn't really help anyone in the end.

That's true. It's why I don't understand why people think vegans have to be tolerant of other people's eating habits (not a vegan, by the way, but I understand why they would be intolerant).

AVclub

Not to derail, but what's going on in this gif?

Also, equating people who drive hybrids with any other subsection of people is ignorant. I have owned a Prius since 2005 and I don't ever judge other people on their choices of food, vehicles or anything else. I also don't bother with organic food. If you're going to classify people based on their cars, you're the asshole, not them.

nel e nel

I once saw an ex-gf's facebook. It deals with her choice in major.

exgf - "I'm changing from bio-chem to psychology!"
random person - "why"
exgf - "I needed something a bit more.... organic"

No hint of irony, and I doubt she knew that organic chemistry was a thing.

Chew on them apples.

My money is on she actually failed Orgo and said 'Fuck this shit, it's too hard!'

J-Rod

Don't most fruits/veggies labeled as organic actually have pesticide on them anyways?

"Organic" pesticides. Organic in quotes because it is organic based on the FDA's definition of it or whatever the governing body is that defines the requirements for food to be labeled as such. Some organic pesticides are just as detrimental to wildlife and just as toxic to humans, but most do breakdown faster than synthetics.

Oppo

Yes, but passion over food, of all things?

Never been to Italy, take it?

They take their food unbelievably seriously. Like, you can't even believe how deadly they are about it.

When Ii was there someone told me, if you see two old Italian guys screaming at each other on a corner, it's not about politics or religion.... it's about the shape of the pasta they cook.

Tobor

It's tricky, because you are encouraged to live life with passion, but it's hard not to have that passion fuel your worldview.

The only way to not be a snob is to live life without passion.

Right. We should just embrace our passions, and our innate snobbishness.

Look at the people in this study, they identified some of the participants as "comfort food" people. I guarantee you they are snobs in their own way. Like how a steak should be grilled, or what toppings should be on a pizza, or that no one makes meatloaf like their mom makes it.

Bombadil

Banned
The study's methodology does nothing to separate people by attitude.

What they found was that people who were shown pictures of organic food, regardless of whether they sought out organic food in real life, responded more judgmentally.

They're randomly assigned, I think.

Is the US slowly turning into a "healthy food" paradise?

everything is labeled "organic", "all natural" and "without artificial flavour etc" nowadays.
hell, I even had an "all natural" Hot Dog at a filthy gas station.

are there even room for oldschool foods full of artificial stuff?

I can't help but wonder if the story presented in the article is completely made up BS.

I've been to the snobbiest markets Seattle has to offer, and never been given any grief for not bringing my own bag. They might mention a charge, but not in some snarky way.

I also doubt the line about fruit trays.

I agree with the general premise to some extent, just don't buy their story.

"Asked the produce guy"... huh? LOL. Since when do stores have "produce guys"?

Organic. Free Range. Green Energy. It's (partly) all the same bullshit. I get that there is some good will and ideas behind them. But most of the time the meaning of the label is quite malleable and is used for the benefit of advertising the brand.

I'd say this is hyperbole.

Especially with local smaller brands.

They back up what they say with documentation for the most part.. which you can research and read about. Might be true of Safeway's "O Organic" brand, but not the food I personally buy.

Slayven

Is the US slowly turning into a "healthy food" paradise?

everything is labeled "organic", "all natural" and "without artificial flavour etc" nowadays.
hell, I even had an "all natural" Hot Dog at a filthy gas station.

are there even room for oldschool foods full of artificial stuff?

Hint there is no real legal term for "organic" or "all natural".

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
is it wrong that i don't believe psychology as a science?

Morally wrong? No.

Factually wrong? Yep.

Both studies portray interesting effects on perceived (either sensory or moral) qualities of food related to human behaviour; so that's a bit more narrow than moral psychology in general. Did you have organic lemon juice this morning by any chance? ;)

But my issue is with media reporting on these studies in general. You end up with dumb generalizations which lead to reinforced stereotypes.

I see the taste study as being an example of embodied cognition in the moral domain, while the organic food study is a specific example of moral licensing. The fact that both involve food was not relevant to how I categorized them. No offense was intended.

I do agree that reporting on psych studies is often flawed. Combine that with the general audience's lack of sophistication, and people will indeed draw unwarranted conclusions or misinterpret the researchers' claims.

Al-ibn Kermit

"Organic" pesticides. Organic in quotes because it is organic based on the FDA's definition of it or whatever the governing body is that defines the requirements for food to be labeled as such. Some organic pesticides are just as detrimental to wildlife and just as toxic to humans, but most do breakdown faster than synthetics.

The synthetic pesticides are usually an analogue of an organic pesticide that biodegrades more slowly/quickly depending on what you want to use it for. You would have to spray the organic one more often to have the same effect.

Why spend more and do more work for the same thing?

Al-ibn Kermit

I'd say this is hyperbole.

Especially with local smaller brands.

They back up what they say with documentation for the most part.. which you can research and read about. Might be true of Safeway's "O Organic" brand, but not the food I personally buy.

They are a small section of the market though. The organic food market is mostly factory farms being run by companies that also run conventional farms. The mark up is much higher for organic foods though which makes it lucrative.

Buy from whoever you like/trust but that niche doesn't really do much good imo. I think it makes more sense to use whatever combination of "organic" and "synthetic" works the best for a particular crop in a particular area, rather than just being a blind eco-warrior prophet.

Hint there is no real legal term for "organic" or "all natural".

There are standards for USDA organic certification. Very lenient standards.

Snakeyes

That's true. It's why I don't understand why people think vegans have to be tolerant of other people's eating habits (not a vegan, by the way, but I understand why they would be intolerant).

Well tolerant means that they shouldn't always be giving you a lecture about eating steak. A few words here and there about animal cruelty is fine though.

Why not food, of all things? It's something you partake in multiple times a day.

Actually, food makes more sense than getting passionate over whatever electronic gizmo you carry around.

The thing you need to survive? Why not?

It's a means to an end, something to survive. Taste is entirely subjective, and how much you need versus how much someone else needs is also different from person to person. Being a snob about food, or super-passionate just seems... strange to me, I guess.

Well tolerant means that they shouldn't always be giving you a lecture about eating steak. A few words here and there about animal cruelty here and there is fine though.

I suppose, but imagine if you were among people who killed and ate human beings. You were in no danger of being killed at any point in time, and they eat people around you all the time. They're a reasonable people (besides the fact that they're eating humans) - wouldn't you object? Some people see animals as having the same moral standing as people. I can sort of understand why they'd be pissy about it.

Hilbert

Deep into his 30th decade
"Asked the produce guy"... huh? LOL. Since when do stores have "produce guys"?

Generally the people in the produce department are the produce guys. I don't know about other stores, but I know in Fred Meyer they go through additional training to help with produce questions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom