• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Study: Obese men and women have <1% chance of attaining a normal weight (mod edit OP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reebot

There's the truth, and there's what we would like to be true. This is the arena probably more than anywhere else where the latter interferes with people's ability to see the former.

At the end of the day, only you decide if you eat, workout, or change your habits.

grumble

I do lol. I eat exactly the same amount of the same food every day (of course it changes as my weight progresses etc). Granted im a minority since i'm into bodybuilding, but it's pretty easy for me to just follow my diet. It's been years since i've eaten a pizza or drank a soda. I just dont feel the need to. I wish it was as easy to other people as it is for me, it must be horrible to feel out of control with your body and what you eat :(

I'm glad you enjoy your hobby and you don't feel the urge to have addictive foods - that is a strength and good fortune as well. There is an argument against spartan control in one's dietary life too though - at the end of the day the universe doesn't care if you denied yourself everything since we all end up in the same place. Good food and varied foods can be one of the great joys in life if done responsibly, and I think the idea of eating the same thing mechanically every day to be kind of a downer.

Soltype

Another good reason is that people who start working out and feel positive, lose their momentum in 2-3 weeks. They lack discipline. Discipline is very important in any field. Even if you eat shit on weekends at a family get together or a party, you should automatically try to compensate that in next few days by working out more or reducing diet.

That's what I did, strict during the week and cheated on the weekends.I tried quitting everything cold turkey and it makes it a lot harder.

Jobbs

Banned
I feel the 1% chance thing is kind of misleading. Losing weight is not really that hard, most people just aren't willing to put the effort in or change their lifestyle and they're what's driving down that percentage. But for the individual person, there's not a 1% chance you can succeed. If it's important to you, then do it. Nothing is simpler.

I stopped drinking soda and started doing all my own cooking and I've gone from 225 to 180 in about 6 months. Goal's 160, so I'm just about there.

I don't know if I started out as technically "obese," but it's nice to be in the 1% about *something.*

I don't see maintaining it to be a problem, either, as I don't miss sugary drinks and I much prefer the stuff I've learned to cook over fast food and prepackaged meals.

I lost 75 pounds in my late teens and kept it off for over 10 years. I understand what it's like to be fat and what it takes to lose it (hint: eating fewer calories). Anybody can do it, most just don't really try.

In Boogie2998's case, I really sympathize with him, I understand how hard it is for him at this point and his physical and psychological challenges must be extreme -- But even he can do it, and I believe he will.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I'm glad you enjoy your hobby and you don't feel the urge to have addictive foods - that is a strength and good fortune as well. There is an argument against spartan control in one's dietary life too though - at the end of the day the universe doesn't care if you denied yourself everything since we all end up in the same place. Good food and varied foods can be one of the great joys in life if done responsibly, and I think the idea of eating the same thing mechanically every day to be kind of a downer.

And those joys may be, for him, completely not worth it if it means he can't, as you put it, enjoy his hobby.

Another good reason is that people who start working out and feel positive, lose their momentum in 2-3 weeks. They lack discipline. Discipline is very important in any field. Even if you eat shit on weekends at a family get together or a party, you should automatically try to compensate that in next few days by working out more or reducing diet.

Eating, sleeping, and pooping shouldn't be matters you need to punish yourself over.
The problem is the industry. Very few people are as nutty, paranoid, or masochistic enough as they have to be to actively avoid the garbage food people think is normal. Furthermore, they shouldn't have to have this enormous uphill battle. Why for heaven's sake can't the food just not be shit in the first place?

Is it any wonder why Japanese people are considerably thinner? It's not the genes. It's that, and this is a very real example, a prior student of mine when teaching in Japan, 14 year old girl, admitted to never having eaten a sandwich before.. Well as an American that was hard for me to believe.. but Japanese mother's prepare meals at home. Meat is expensive, so they eat a lot of vegetables, rice, and sea food. Japan is getting fatter.. But America introduced a lot of the corporate culture that comes with modern industry after dropping the bomb. But anyway, you've got the US, with their fast food, but at least Japan has convenince stores on every corner, selling bento meals that are just incredibly superior in terms of health and nutrition, and that, I believe, is where most salary men go for their convenient meal fix.

Like I said earlier, people think eating bad food is normal. They also have an impression that diet and 100 calorie versions of food are somehow healthy for them. They are clueless to the reality, because the reality to them is and has always been what's advertised, what's shown on television and in their face 24/7. There is this notion among the public that even though corporations make a lot of money, they wouldn't do things that are unsafe, cruel, despicable. You can't fault them for blindly giving their trust.. It's natural. I compliment all of you who are proud of losing weight or eating right or being healthier and avoiding the junk, but you shouldn't think less of others for not achieving that.. It's bizarre that you have to reject corporate and government endorsement.. basically assume that the powers that be are out to use you and will get away with everything they can. As a liberal oriented person, I can do that.. Not every one has the capacity for that. People are busy busy busy, and they shouldn't have to worry that their food providers don't give a shit about them. It's not fair to expect everyone to even face that challenge.

Instead, the industry needs to change. I can't believe they get away with this shit, but they do... and the government at best, doesn't really care, and at worst, is totally in bed with them and doesn't give a shit either, in the interest of money.

Oh, and I definitely need to add that a child will long be obese before he/she is ever capable of the awareness and discipline being paraded in this thread. I mean, I agree, you really do need that, I just think the laws should be there, invested in the interest of the health and well being of the people, and if they were, it wouldn't be normal to be obese at the age of 8.

.. and yes, that's totally child abuse, but the parent is only to blame if they really know better.. and can you say that they do if they are still buying the junk for themselves and their family?

I am glad to see a bunch of determined people in this thread though. It makes it feel like all hope is not lost.

Jobbs

Banned
He really needs bariatric surgery

I'm not the authority on this, but from what I understand it's not safe for patients that large to undergo that sort of surgery and many doctors won't do it. They'd insist the patient lose a certain amount of weight first -- Which puts patients with this degree of problem into a very difficult position. I am very sympathetic to Boogie's position and I am really pulling for him.

I did it. I lost 80lbs last year. Got my diabetes under control (no more meds). Fuck that study.

Right on! Like I was saying, I feel the study is based on a lot of fat people who just don't really try, and quite often go from gimmick to gimmick and never get the instant results they want. Often when I hear fat people talk about dieting or weight loss or exercise I hear a lot of very distorted/uninformed bullshit. In order to lose weight you need to accept there's no shortcut and you need to give up something (food). Anyone who commits themselves can totally do it. It's a very simple matter of eating less.

Wag

I did it. I lost 80lbs last year. Got my diabetes under control (no more meds). Fuck that study.

BamfMeat

I'm not the authority on this, but from what I understand it's not safe for patients that large to undergo that sort of surgery and many doctors won't do it. They'd insist the patient lose a certain amount of weight first -- Which puts patients with this degree of problem into a very difficult position. I am very sympathetic to Boogie's position and I am really pulling for him.

They do insist that you lose a certain amount of weight first, usually 10% of your body weight. It's not because it's not safe - it's because the surgeons want to make sure you're actually serious about this.

And even with that, 50% of people usually gain a portion of the weight back even after surgery. The larger you are, the more likely you'll gain it back.

studies also show as high as 1/3 of patients will regain ALL of their weight lost. 1/3 of patients will regain 25% or more of their weight loss, not all.

After-care is also a huge issue with making sure the weight comes off. I had a lap-band put in - my after-care was basically "come back to get fills when you think you need them." I've had multiple friends and acquaintances have both lap-band and gastric. Most of them lost weight and then gained quite a bit back. Only 1 I think gained it all back - the rest lost of a chunk of their weight but not all they needed to.

I can only think of 1 person, period, that I know that had a full gastric and has stayed within a normal BMI. She spent a hell of a lot of money to lose all her weight and then a hell of a lot more on plastic surgery to make sure she got rid of all her lose skin and she kept it off. She's done very very well. I think she's going on 10+ years now and looks great.

Abounder

Banned
Don't cells "remember" they used to be fat so it's really easy to re-gain weight? I'd imagine it must be a nightmare if you have over 100+ pounds to lose. Prevention really seems like the best method, on paper at least

AnAnole

They do insist that you lose a certain amount of weight first, usually 10% of your body weight. It's not because it's not safe - it's because the surgeons want to make sure you're actually serious about this.

And even with that, 50% of people usually gain a portion of the weight back even after surgery. The larger you are, the more likely you'll gain it back.

studies also show as high as 1/3 of patients will regain ALL of their weight lost.

After-care is also a huge issue with making sure the weight comes off. I had a lap-band put in - my after-care was basically "come back to get fills when you think you need them." I've had multiple friends and acquaintances have both lap-band and gastric. Most of them lost weight and then gained quite a bit back. Only 1 I think gained it all back - the rest lost of a chunk of their weight but not all they needed to.

I can only think of 1 person, period, that I know that had a full gastric and has stayed within a normal BMI. She spent a hell of a lot of money to lose all her weight and then a hell of a lot more on plastic surgery to make sure she got rid of all her lose skin and she kept it off. She's done very very well. I think she's going on 10+ years now and looks great.

Huh? That doesn't say that 1/3 of patients regained all of their lost weight. It says that 37% of patients re-gained at least 25% of their initial weight loss. So, if they initially lost 150 lbs, that means that they re-gained at least 37.5 lbs.

And I didn't have to go on any diet when I had my surgery, and I'm doing great. It varies by surgeon, but there's a lot of recent evidence that the pre-op diet isn't really necessary unless someone has a really fatty liver.

Wag

Right on! Like I was saying, I feel the study is based on a lot of fat people who just don't really try, and quite often go from gimmick to gimmick and never get the instant results they want. Often when I hear fat people talk about dieting or weight loss or exercise I hear a lot of very distorted/uninformed bullshit. In order to lose weight you need to accept there's no shortcut and you need to give up something (food). Anyone who commits themselves can totally do it. It's a very simple matter of eating less.

Yup. A friend of mine just lost 100lbs in under a year too. It can be done if you set your mind to it.

I think part of the problem these days is a lot of people are on antidepressants and anti-anxiety drugs which tend to put on a lot of weight. For me as soon as some of these medications were lowered I began to lose weight immediately. (Of course I had to change my diet and lifestyle as well).

BamfMeat

Huh? That doesn't say that 1/3 of patients regained all of their lost weight. It says that 37% of patients re-gained at least 25% of their initial weight loss. So, if they initially lost 150 lbs, that means that they re-gained at least 37.5 lbs.

And I didn't have to go on any diet when I had my surgery, and I'm doing great. It varies by surgeon, but there's a lot of recent evidence that the pre-op diet isn't really necessary unless someone has a really fatty liver.

You're right - I misread what it said. "Excessive weight regain, defined as &#8805;25 % of total lost weight, occurred in 37 % of patients." I will correct it.

How obese were you when you had your surgery? I was told I didn't have to, but I also was paying out of pocket for mine and my doctor just wanted to get paid LOL However my best friend who had lap-band around the same time, going through the same doctor, did have to lose, I think 10 pounds. She was also going through insurance, so that might have been a part of it.

AnAnole

You're right - I misread what it said. "Excessive weight regain, defined as &#8805;25 % of total lost weight, occurred in 37 % of patients." I will correct it.

How obese were you when you had your surgery? I was told I didn't have to, but I also was paying out of pocket for mine and my doctor just wanted to get paid LOL However my best friend who had lap-band around the same time, going through the same doctor, did have to lose, I think 10 pounds. She was also going through insurance, so that might have been a part of it.

Maybe it was because I also had to pay out of pocket. Well, sort of. Insurance covered my hiatal hernia repair, which was done at the same time as my sleeve gastrectomy. I only had to pay $3,500 in total. I was 331 lbs at 5' 10" the day of surgery, so my BMI was 47.5. That was on April 6th of this year. I'm already down 82 lbs. So far, this is much, much easier than my other weight loss attempt. I have to force myself to eat just to get my protein in. I also walk 15-20k steps a day and lift weights every other day. Hopefully I'll be able to maintain a weight near a normal BMI (I wouldn't mind being a few points over normal since I carry a lot of muscle mass).

I've heard lots of bad things about the lap-band. It seems that you either lose a small amount of weight or a lot of weight. It has lost a lot of popularity in the past couple of years. Lots of people on a bariatric forum I post at have converted from the band to the sleeve.

BamfMeat

Maybe it was because I also had to pay out of pocket. Well, sort of. Insurance covered my hiatal hernia repair, which was done at the same time as my sleeve gastrectomy. I only had to pay $3,500 in total. I was 331 lbs at 5' 10" the day of surgery, so my BMI was 47.5. That was on April 6th of this year. I'm already down 82 lbs. So far, this is much, much easier than my other weight loss attempt. I have to force myself to eat just to get my protein in. I also walk 15-20k steps a day and lift weights every other day. Hopefully I'll be able to maintain a weight near a normal BMI (I wouldn't mind being a few points over normal since I carry a lot of muscle mass).

I've heard lots of bad things about the lap-band. It seems that you either lose a small amount of weight or a lot of weight. It has lost a lot of popularity in the past couple of years. Lots of people on a bariatric forum I post at have converted from the band to the sleeve.

I've thought about converting it to the sleeve multiple times. I had another lapband doc here want to give me the sleeve then put the band on TOP of it. I was like WTF. No! I want to get rid of the damn band, period.!

Zaptruder

Banned
Just because it has been done, and done on a regular basis (given how many people in total have lost weight, combined with social networking to provide us with examples of such people, plus if we really look for them, we can find them in clusters, plus self-reporting biases where people that succeed are much more likely to report success than those that don't succeed)...

People underestimate the degree of difficulty there is in weight loss of a significant degree.

Oh, just change your lifestyle.

Yes, it's about equal to telling people to change their lifestyle so that they can get much wealthier.

Vitten

You're the 1% , congrats !

Study doesn't surprise me. Unless you're genetically blessed with a hard working metabolism keeping you slim, the only realistic way to stay thin is having a permanent lifestyle of eating only healthy food combined with plenty of physical exercise.
And that's just very hard for most of us to keep up. At one point or another almost everyone just gives in to the temptation to revert back to the ubiquitous crap food which is a lot easier to get or to stay in the warm couch and skip that daily walk.

A Fish Aficionado

I am going to make it through this year if it kills me
Yup. A friend of mine just lost 100lbs in under a year too. It can be done if you set your mind to it.

I think part of the problem these days is a lot of people are on antidepressants and anti-anxiety drugs which tend to put on a lot of weight. For me as soon as some of these medications were lowered I began to lose weight immediately. (Of course I had to change my diet and lifestyle as well).
Northern Europe has more prescribing rates and less obesity.

And you contradicted yourself.

Antidepressants are associated with weight gain, as I can attest personally, but are not really an issue in the overall problem of obesity.

Valkyria

Banned
Eating, sleeping, and pooping shouldn't be matters you need to punish yourself over.
The problem is the industry. Very few people are as nutty, paranoid, or masochistic enough as they have to be to actively avoid the garbage food people think is normal. Furthermore, they shouldn't have to have this enormous uphill battle. Why for heaven's sake can't the food just not be shit in the first place?

Is it any wonder why Japanese people are considerably thinner? It's not the genes. It's that, and this is a very real example, a prior student of mine when teaching in Japan, 14 year old girl, admitted to never having eaten a sandwich before.. Well as an American that was hard for me to believe.. but Japanese mother's prepare meals at home. Meat is expensive, so they eat a lot of vegetables, rice, and sea food. Japan is getting fatter.. But America introduced a lot of the corporate culture that comes with modern industry after dropping the bomb. But anyway, you've got the US, with their fast food, but at least Japan has convenince stores on every corner, selling bento meals that are just incredibly superior in terms of health and nutrition, and that, I believe, is where most salary men go for their convenient meal fix.

Like I said earlier, people think eating bad food is normal. They also have an impression that diet and 100 calorie versions of food are somehow healthy for them. They are clueless to the reality, because the reality to them is and has always been what's advertised, what's shown on television and in their face 24/7. There is this notion among the public that even though corporations make a lot of money, they wouldn't do things that are unsafe, cruel, despicable. You can't fault them for blindly giving their trust.. It's natural. I compliment all of you who are proud of losing weight or eating right or being healthier and avoiding the junk, but you shouldn't think less of others for not achieving that.. It's bizarre that you have to reject corporate and government endorsement.. basically assume that the powers that be are out to use you and will get away with everything they can. As a liberal oriented person, I can do that.. Not every one has the capacity for that. People are busy busy busy, and they shouldn't have to worry that their food providers don't give a shit about them. It's not fair to expect everyone to even face that challenge.

Instead, the industry needs to change. I can't believe they get away with this shit, but they do... and the government at best, doesn't really care, and at worst, is totally in bed with them and doesn't give a shit either, in the interest of money.

Oh, and I definitely need to add that a child will long be obese before he/she is ever capable of the awareness and discipline being paraded in this thread. I mean, I agree, you really do need that, I just think the laws should be there, invested in the interest of the health and well being of the people, and if they were, it wouldn't be normal to be obese at the age of 8.

.. and yes, that's totally child abuse, but the parent is only to blame if they really know better.. and can you say that they do if they are still buying the junk for themselves and their family?

I am glad to see a bunch of determined people in this thread though. It makes it feel like all hope is not lost.

It's good to see people that get the full picture. To all those in this thread saying "Just count calories", I have a movie for you: http://fedupmovie.com/#/page/home, it's on netflix.
Calories in for calories out is the way the food industry are trying to cover their faces for the horrible practices they are getting away with. I'm not even American, but I can see many things showed in the movie that I can relate to in my country,

You can check this page A Calorie is not a Calorie and see how counting calories is just a small fraction of the problem.

Another issue treated in the film is that, even though you look skinny, your body might be as the body of a obese person. Maybe you don't have a belly, but eating all the crap that is handed by the industry is causing your body to develop the same issues and illnesses of an obese person.

I fully recommend the movie and to google some more about the issue, there are a lot of facts that get lost thanks to the great job of the food industry PR and lobbies.

NewGame

Banned
eating once per day? thats not healthy at all

I don't want to shock you but hundreds of generations of people have lived (born, lived and died) on one meal a day. In fact I would hazard a guess more people throughout human history have been 1 mealers than our food services recommendation of 3 square meals a day(tm) with snickers and pie in-between.

Wiktor

Study doesn't surprise me. Unless you're genetically blessed with a hard working metabolism keeping you slim, .
The ironic thing is that those are actually the bad genes. The reason they're so rare is because most of the people who had them starved to death. Evolutionary the best genetics were those that allowed humans to quickly gain weight, so they would have fat reserves to live off from when the inievitable hunger period comes :D

Study doesn't surprise me. Unless you're genetically blessed with a hard working metabolism keeping you slim, the only realistic way to stay thin is having a permanent lifestyle of eating only healthy food combined with plenty of physical exercise.
And that's just very hard for most of us to keep up. At one point or another almost everyone just gives in to the temptation to revert back to the ubiquitous crap food which is a lot easier to get or to stay in the warm couch and skip that daily walk.

Or you can be like plenty of regular people who grow up learning good habits from their parents, proper understanding of what causes weight gain, who make proactive health decisions and who, if they notice they are gaining weight, immediately make lifestyle changes to get back to a healthy weight.

If you're waiting until you're 120kg (300lbs) it is already way too late and is a huge battle to get back to normal. You need to get on it early. I usually weigh around 80-85kg (as a 6'3 male this is a nice slim weight). Last year that slowly crept up to 90kg. As soon as I noticed it I stopped drinking chocolate milk, had much more water, stopped having sugar in coffee. No change in exercise, no change in hunger, no real lifestyle change. Within another two months I was back to 83kg. If I didn't act I would probably be 95kg and rising. And that just makes it harder to fix.

It is actually really easy to maintain a normal bodyweight. I eat pizza and other junk food now and then, I don't count calories, and I don't do a ton of exercise. Your diet has to be pretty ridiculously bad to start piling on the weight. Control your portion sizes and don't snack so much and you've solved 99% of the problem.

What you feel that study is based on is pretty much stated exactly in the OP since the mod edit. The wording in the article makes it sound like it is talking about how high your chances of being successful are in losing weight when you are obese, but that isn't the case. But it does show how relatively few obese people in total are losing weight. Which means that current campaigns and solutions aren't working out very well.

Also it and other studies in this thread show how often people with weight loss gain a lot back again. Yes it is a simple matter, but it definitely is not an easy matter.

"Fuck that study" seems uncalled for. Are you seriously blaming them for the results they are getting?

I don't want to shock you but hundreds of generations of people have lived (born, lived and died) on one meal a day. In fact I would hazard a guess more people throughout human history have been 1 mealers than our food services recommendation of 3 square meals a day(tm) with snickers and pie in-between.

Also the life expectancy was like half of or maybe even less than it is now. Not saying that is caused by irregular meals, but that they survived with in the past does not mean it is the best thing to do nowadays.

AnAnole

I've thought about converting it to the sleeve multiple times. I had another lapband doc here want to give me the sleeve then put the band on TOP of it. I was like WTF. No! I want to get rid of the damn band, period.!

Wow, don't think I've ever heard of anyone getting both at once. Seems like a recipe for some horrible acid reflux or something.

Just curious, what kind of symptoms did your hiatal hernia cause?

Acid reflux, which can be exacerbated with the sleeve. I actually haven't had much acid reflux after getting the surgeries, so it seems to have worked.

AnAnole

Or you can be like plenty of regular people who grow up learning good habits from their parents, proper understanding of what causes weight gain, who make proactive health decisions and who, if they notice they are gaining weight, immediately make lifestyle changes to get back to a healthy weight.

Easier said than done. Depression and stress are a bitch. I didn't really have much of a weight problem until my early 20s, then I started gaining 10+ lbs a year. I made many attempts to correct my weight gain, but those attempts were always only temporary and I would always end up fatter than before.

Mook1e

Please don't buy into this bull.

Fathom

Banned
i was drinking tons of water and eating once per day earlier this year. lost some weight but not enough to make a difference. gave up on that and returned to normal since it wasn't worth it (i'll die someday anyway)

That's a terrible way to go about weight loss. You have to eat very small meals throughout the day only to stop being really hungry, that or drink smoothies/shakes throughout the day.

That's a terrible way to go about weight loss. You have to eat very small meals throughout the day only to stop being really hungry, that or drink smoothies/shakes throughout the day.

That used to be the conventional wisdom, but I believe the thinking now is that it doesn't really matter so much how many times you eat in a day.

When I was on a high calorie deficit, I had a small lunch and a bigger meal at night since I tend to get hungriest at night. I think the most important thing is to find what works for you, personally.

Pizza in a vegetable according to Congress since it has tomato sauce.

http://www.npr.org/sections/thesalt.../pizza-as-a-vegetable-it-depends-on-the-sauce

That used to be the conventional wisdom, but I believe the thinking now is that it doesn't really matter so much how many times you eat in a day.

When I was on a high calorie deficit, I had a small lunch and a bigger meal at night since I tend to get hungriest at night. I think the most important thing is to find what works for you, personally.
It's not just about weight considerations. Eating one time per day fucks with you blood pressure and blood sugar. It's a bad idea.

Fathom

Banned

It does matter. If you consume all your calories for the day in one meal, your metabolism slows down. It speeds up if you consume the same amount of calories in one meal through 3 or 4 meals instead.

Superflat

I guess I'm a rare one then. Last time I got a checkup I was told I was in the morbidly obese category (230+ pounds). Now I'm wearing small size shirts and size 30 jeans. Exercised rigorously and religiously every day for four months straight (warning, not for everyone; I had a decently athletic background before obesity) -- then started exercising just a few times a week and focused more on the foods I ate (low carb and started intermittent fasting); and the fat came off ridiculously fast. I was looking at new clothing sizes every couple weeks. It was actually kind of annoying actually because I kept having to buy new clothes in a months' time. I would buy a L size jacket, only to find that it was getting too loose and big two weeks later, buy a M size jacket, and realize I could fit into smalls. Annoying but also flattering lol

I still want to lower my fat percentage so I'm looking at strength training. Less than one percent chance is still a chance peeps :p

My struggles of overcoming weight will be valuable information to have should I ever have kids. Prevention is the best strategy. It should be of huge importance to every new parent in America. And learn how to cook ya'll!

BamfMeat

PKrockin

It does matter. If you consume all your calories for the day in one meal, your metabolism slows down. It speeds up if you consume the same amount of calories in one meal through 3 or 4 meals instead.
Your metabolism doesn't slow down from not eating for 24 hours. That doesn't happen until about 3 days of severely limited food intake IIRC. Studies showed that eating the same food in one sitting or spread throughout the day didn't have a significant effect on average weight loss results. Do what works for you. That's what I was taught in my nutrition intro class in college.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
It's not just about weight considerations. Eating one time per day fucks with you blood pressure and blood sugar. It's a bad idea.

Maybe, but more so than being overweight or obese? You can't get too caught up with what's the perfect way to lose weight when it's so hard to lose weight to begin with. From my understanding, that link is a lot less strong than the very clear and obvious link between obesity and health problems.

If you're going to lose weight you're going to have to starve yourself in some way. You can fill an empty stomach by munching on a raw, unseasoned head of lettuce if you want, but that won't solve the hunger cravings for those fat causing foods. So it might be better to accept the empty stomach hunger in favor of being able to satisfy the empty calorie cravings instead, depending on which is easier for the individual.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member

It's actually perfectly safe. Sure, if you have some specific condition that prevents you from doing this, then don't, but you're way overstating any possible risks.

D

Deleted member 12837

Unconfirmed Member

These are both broscience/myths that have been debunked. There's no advantage or disadvantage to any meal timing or frequency.

hodgy100

im nearly there :D i was 252 now I'm 186 just gotta get down to 175 to not be considered overweight by BMI though I'm aiming for a round 170 to give myself a bit of a buffer :)

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
These are both broscience/myths that have been debunked. There's no advantage or disadvantage to any meal timing or frequency.

I believe there can be an advantage to meal timing (contingent on macro nutrient composition). There's a small window after intense resistance in which GLUT4 receptors go to the surface of the muscle cells and will more readily absorb glucose independently of insulin. The theory goes that this will allow for your muscles to preferentially absorb glucose in the blood that may otherwise go into fat cells. I believe there have been studies specifically in type II diabetes patients that have shown this to be true, but I don't know if there has been enough research for healthy people/fitness-oriented folks.

Nohar

It's good to see people that get the full picture. To all those in this thread saying "Just count calories", I have a movie for you: http://fedupmovie.com/#/page/home, it's on netflix.
Calories in for calories out is the way the food industry are trying to cover their faces for the horrible practices they are getting away with. I'm not even American, but I can see many things showed in the movie that I can relate to in my country,

You can check this page A Calorie is not a Calorie and see how counting calories is just a small fraction of the problem.

Another issue treated in the film is that, even though you look skinny, your body might be as the body of a obese person. Maybe you don't have a belly, but eating all the crap that is handed by the industry is causing your body to develop the same issues and illnesses of an obese person.

I fully recommend the movie and to google some more about the issue, there are a lot of facts that get lost thanks to the great job of the food industry PR and lobbies.

I watched the film.

Thank you. It was incredibly informative, truly an eye-opener for me.

This shit is so fucking stupid. They never said that pizza is a vegetable. They said that an 1/8th of a cup of tomato sauce can constitute a serving of vegetables. There's a huge fucking difference there.[/url]

While I'm all in favor of some skepticism in the face of repeatedly asserted factoids, 1/8 of a cup of pizza sauce is a pretty sad serving of vegetables.

(I wouldn't really have a problem with it counting if it was pizza with lots mushrooms, onions, green/red peppers, etc. on it.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom