• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Substance Engine benchmark implies PS4 CPU is faster than Xbox One's

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Well, it says 1 CPU which I think means a single core, and the performance figures for the dual core ARM processors compared to 4 core ARM chips support that conclusion.

1 CPU probably means 4 cores. Technically these consoles have two CPUs but they're designed to be clustered so they work as one.

DieH@rd

Banned
Yes, you can get more out of the PS4's CPU than you can the Xbox's.

untitled-13rxac.gif

Aaaand, we're done here.

Vizzeh

Banned
yeah, according to these numbers the PS4 CPU(resources available to games) is roughly equivalent to 3.5 cores of that core i7 CPU used in the benchmark. that's not slow by any standards.

Considering PC's need extra processing for background tasks, Ripping videos etc, Games generally not being CPU bound Versus DEDICATED CPU's each with 8 Cores of various tasks designed for each Core. It all helps, PS4 GPU compute will be interesting also.

BigDug13

It sounds to me like dropping Kinect out of the box and charging $400 would STILL be too much in comparison to their chief competition...

They've got zero performance advantage and that's so sad for the Xbox pedigree of being THE multiplatform destination for best console performance for 2 previous generations. :(

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
It sounds to me like dropping Kinect out of the box and charging $400 would STILL be too much in comparison to their chief competition...

They've got zero performance advantage and that's so sad for the Xbox pedigree of being THE multiplatform destination for best console performance for 2 previous generations. :(

Looking at the hardware it's abundantly clear that a different team designed the Xbox One than did the previous consoles.

But they said MS will not give PS4 30% advantage over the XB1 .... lol...this statement feels more and more joke every time a new revelation is made about XB1 vs PS4 hardware

The disparity b/w the multiplats will widen as we move forward and 1st party PS4 games will destroy XB1 in terms of tech.

Cerny did an amazing job with the PS4.

Considering PC's need extra processing for background tasks, Ripping videos etc,

Are you saying the Xbox One's CPU does is not handling background tasks, videos, etc? Hell the Xbox One OS is more bloated then even a PC's ( 3 OS's ), which I never thought would be possible.

BPoole

So the PS4 has a better GPU, a better CPU, more RAM, no Kinect, a better controller and it costs $100 less than the XBone. I really don't understand how any reasonably minded person could choose an XBone over the PS4

McHuj

So the PS4 has a better GPU, a better CPU, more RAM, no Kinect, a better controller and it costs $100 less than the XBone. I really don't understand how any reasonably minded person could choose an XBone over the PS4

They like MS first party games better?

televator

While the CPUs may not be the most ideal in terms of power, I think what gives this a bit more oomph is that MS was shouting their clock increase from the rooftops. Which most people assumed put the Bone's CPU slightly above PS4's. Now they don't even have that. That appreciable gap between the 2 consoles gets a little wider...

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
Yes it does.

So 'CPU' in this benchmark definitely refers to individual cores rather than all of them?

Because the cleanest explanation appears to be that the PS4 has 7 available cores vs. 6 for the Xbone. Otherwise I make the CPU's clockspeed 2.04GHz?

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area

better launch titles
/thread

not really, but that's what has been clung to for the last 4-6 months, because the value of a system is deeply judged by the titles available in the first 2-3 months of its 5 years life.....

Not sure why everyone surprised. Just because MS announced upclock didn't mean it was better. Not sure why anyone would believe anything they say in the first place.

BigDug13

Not sure why everyone surprised. Just because MS announced upclock didn't mean it was better. Not sure why anyone would believe anything they say in the first place.

Microsoft has spent 10+ years through 2 generations having the most powerful overall console (outside of lengthy and deep coding on certain PS3 games). It's a difficult idea to get past that Microsoft would not only fumble the ball, but would step on it with cleats and deflate the ball as well.

Really?

I can upclock my I5-2400 from 3.1 to 3.9Ghz with a click of a button and it may go up .5 degrees overall.

Have you seen the size of the cooler on the APU?

You don't have a 7850 built into your CPU either, mine runs at 50c with an aftermarket triple slot cooler and I have a tower cooler on my CPU.

BigDug13

So what angle can we still spin into the favor of xbox? Shape?

If the PS4 didn't exist, The XBO would be sitting quite pretty as a next gen console. It's only because Cerny stepped to the hardware plate and hit a grand slam against the terrible pitcher that is Microsoft's new Xbox management team that makes XBO look like trash in comparison.

If the PS4 didn't come out with such a fantastic console design that catered exclusively to both developers and gamers at a lower price, the XBO wouldn't look so bad.

Well at least the controller part is highly debatable.

Vizzeh

Banned
If the PS4 has 20GB/s CPU Bandwidth surely at the very Least that 14mb/s is PER CORE, so 14*8 = 112MB/s is even tiny compared to the pipes.

Marco1

So MS has the slower console yet they have the bigger case and external PSU?
Those MS engineers really worked hard on this one.

If the PS4 didn't exist, The XBO would be sitting quite pretty as a next gen console. It's only because Cerny stepped to the hardware plate and hit a grand slam against the terrible pitcher that is Microsoft's new Xbox management team that makes XBO look like trash in comparison.

If the PS4 didn't come out with such a fantastic console design that catered exclusively to both developers and gamers at a lower price, the XBO wouldn't look so bad.

in reality it's not really hard to improve on the PS4 hardware wise, so it was MS's decision to make the XO weaker no doubt about it.

Have you seen the size of the cooler on the APU?

You don't have a 7850 built into your CPU either, mine runs at 50c with an aftermarket triple slot cooler and I have a tower cooler on my CPU.

I have stock everything on my CPU and it runs @ 31c idle, 40-45c under load.

GPU is a 6770, normal. Runs 40c idle, 60-68c under load.

But true, it is not all in one.

Regardless of what the PS4 can do, a next-gen system having so much trouble with 1080p (with some games running at an embarrassing 720p) is just shit no matter how you slice it. 1080p should be a bottom of the barrel standard this gen.

Actually, go look at the benchmarks in todays games for a 7770. What you see on the X1 is just what you would expect from a bandwidth starved 7770. 7770's can barely run 30fps / 1080p in todays games if you want to keep fidelity up. You either drop resolution, keep some fidelity ( still have to compromise ), or keep resolution and drop fidelity quite a bit.

So far devs seem to be dropping the resolution.

crysis-2-1920.png

For example, here is Crysis 2 ( ! ) attempting max details @ 1080p on the 7770.

ypo

Regardless of what the PS4 can do, a next-gen system having so much trouble with 1080p (with some games running at an embarrassing 720p) is just shit no matter how you slice it. 1080p should be a bottom of the barrel standard this gen.

BigDug13

I agree with you, but like I said, if the PS4 didn't exist, people would have accepted this 900p reality that the XBO will most likely have for most games.

Steroyd

With the CPU it was a combination of MS bragging about the upclock and Sony being quiet on the matter despite sharing every other spec of their console to the public, basically everyone read between the lines and jumped to a conclusion.

Did it? Games have been out for weeks now, if the Xbox had a better CPU it wasn't helping anyway. Can't really get more real than results right in front of your face.

If you meant it from a "warriors are going to lose their shit!" point of view then I apologize and you could be right.

Seriously, the games don't lie.

Bgamer90

Banned

Exclusive games & features? The same reasons why people bought weaker consoles in previous gens?

BigDug13

Exclusive games & features? The same reasons why people bought weaker consoles in previous gens?

Buying a system for "only exclusive games" is what Nintendo enjoyed with the Gamecube as well as the Wii-U. Not sure that's a good thing.

MS messed up by not catering to the millions of people that made Xbox a household name by wanting a powerhouse of a console.

I have stock everything on my CPU and it runs @ 31c idle, 40-45c under load.

GPU is a 6770, normal. Runs 40c idle, 60-68c under load.

But true, it is not all in one.

Actually, go look at the benchmarks in todays games for a 7770. What you see on the X1 is just what you would expect from a bandwidth starved 7770. 7770's can barely run 30fps / 1080p in todays games if you want to keep fidelity up. You either drop resolution, keep some fidelity ( still have to compromise ), or keep resolution and drop fidelity quite a bit.

So far devs seem to be dropping the resolution.

crysis-2-1920.png

For example, here is Crysis 2 ( ! ) attempting max details @ 1080p on the 7770.

the PS4 GPU is faster and more advanced than all of the GPUs in the benchmark above.

jet1911

Games my friend, games.

Top Bottom