• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Substance Engine benchmark implies PS4 CPU is faster than Xbox One's

Prelude.

Better CPU? Nope.
Shape? TrueAudio.
Quieter? Nope (I think Anand measured PS4 to be quieter actually, I might be wrong)

This needs to be updated.

ytut560rk6g.jpg

Tsundere

Banned
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=80951633&postcount=195

Albert Penello strikes again. MS math etc etc.

I'm not really surprised by this to be honest, which is why I called Albert out when he made that statement about the CPU despite the PS4 info being unpublished.
I don't see how he isn't banned yet, considering he is a direct Microsoft employee telling consumers lies. Even if he is a "normal person" here on the forums, he shouldn't get a free pass, just like all the other insiders on GAF, should be held accountable for what they say.

satam55

Banned
It sounds to me like dropping Kinect out of the box and charging $400 would STILL be too much in comparison to their chief competition...

They've got zero performance advantage and that's so sad for the Xbox pedigree of being THE multiplatform destination for best console performance for 2 previous generations. :(

So the PS4 has a better GPU, a better CPU, more RAM, no Kinect, a better controller and it costs $100 less than the XBone. I really don't understand how any reasonably minded person could choose an XBone over the PS4

The only hardware advantage that the Xbox1 has over the PS4 is a better Wireless chip that includes Dual-band WiFi, 802.11ac WiFi, WiFi Direct, Miracast, NFC, & Bluetooth 4.0

But even that is a feature that Sony can upgrade in a new PS4 model/hardware revision.

coldfoot

Banned
That means that the evidence for a 1,8Ghz-clock was probably correct. (We had that one slide that was considered relatively trustworthy, forgot about the source).

7 cores @ 1,8Ghz seems to fit those benchmarks.

Graph is for 1 CPU core only, both the title and comparisons with iPhone/iPad CPU's support this hypothesis.

jaypah

I don't see how he isn't banned yet, considering he is a direct Microsoft employee telling consumers lies. Even if he is a "normal person" here on the forums, he shouldn't get a free pass, just like all the other insiders on GAF, should be held accountable for what they say.

Contact a mod if you feel some type of way? He posts so infrequently that he'd probably be banned and back from his ban before he even had anything to post about.

Vizzeh

Banned
Isn't lying to consumers a permaban?

I dont think its quite a lie as both sets of information need to concrete fact, he also needs to KNOW its concrete fact at the time when he "lies" about it.

He is basically only manipulating the public with information we know/knew at the time. Dont think its ban-able?, not to mention unless hes truth-fact lying, GAF/Internet benefits from his posts.

DieH@rd

Banned
Yes, you can get more out of the PS4's CPU than you can the Xbox's.

I know it's a stretch.... but can you please explain WHY?

Clocks? More cores available for games? Bandwidth pipes? API? OS reservation? Xbone visualization of "game OS"? Something totally else?

Tsundere

Banned
I dont think its quite a lie as both sets of information need to concrete fact, he also needs to KNOW its concrete fact at the time when he "lies" about it.

He is basically only manipulating the public with information we know/knew at the time.

He's a direct insider, you aren't allowed to post shit if you can't back it up as an insider.

Occam

I wonder if we can expect some major spin soon?
jedi-mind-trick.jpg

How unfortunate for MS that that those mind tricks only work on the weak-minded.

he was just doing his job, the fact that he is not posting here anymore is quite telling.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Would I be wrong if I said the last gen consoles CPUs had more raw computing power? It's looking like they traded raw performance for other improvements (like cost, versatility and power consumption).

That said, if that Mantle demo is any indication, next gen engines aren't going to be CPU limited at all.

Not quite that CPU's are weak, at least in PS4. Game like Planetside 2 is heavy CPU eater on PC. According to SOE, Planetside 2 on PS4 will be indentical to PC version - 2000 players, huge draw distance etc.

The problem with PlanetSide 2 was that it didn't take advantage of multiple cores very well. The optimization needed to get PlansetSide 2 to work on the PS4 is to better split the CPU load among more threads. Up until now PlanetSide 2 has been relying on the brute force single thread computing power of Intel processors to get by. AMD's performance has suffered because it requires multithreaded programs and GPU compute to unlock its performance potential.

The big challenge with the PS4 is its AMD chip, and it really, heavily relies on multi-threading. We have the exact same kind of Achilles heel on the PC too. People who have AMD chips have a disadvantage, because a single core on an AMD chip doesn't really have as much horsepower and they really require you to kind of spread the load out across multiple cores to be able to take full advantage of the AMD processors.

Our engine sucks at that right now. We are multi-threaded, but the primary gameplay thread is very expensive. The biggest piece of engineering work that they're doing right now, and it's an enormous effort, is to go back through the engine and re-optimise it to be really, truly multi-threaded and break the gameplay thread up. That's a very challenging thing to do because we're doing a lot of stuff - tracking all these different players, all of their movements, all the projectiles, all the physics they're doing.

It's very challenging to split those really closely connected pieces of functionality across in multiple threads. So it's a big engineering task for them to do, but thankfully once they do it, AMD players who've been having sub-par performance on the PC will suddenly get a massive boost - just because of being able to take the engine and re-implement it as multi-threaded.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...ross-platform-play-teases-character-transfers

The only hardware advantage that the Xbox1 has over the PS4 is a better Wireless chip that includes Dual-band WiFi, 802.11ac WiFi, WiFi Direct, Miracast, NFC, & Bluetooth 4.0

But even that is a feature that Sony can upgrade in a new PS4 model/hardware revision.

Been wondering since forever why the XB1 has a chip that supports two different versions of wireless screen sharing protocol, yet has no screen sharing capabilities to speak of present or announced for the future.

So much potential literally being ignored.

Skeff

The PS4 bluetooth chip is actually capable of bluetooth 4.0, a recent teardown showed but it is not supported by PS4, I'm not sure why but that could be added in a firmware update, Also I'm not sure on this next one but PS4 can connect directly to Vita, which shows WiFi Direct Hardware capability, perhaps full support could also be added via FW, though I don't know about this second point, also I believe as miracast is based on WiFi Direct then that could also be added in FW?

Would I be wrong if I said the last gen consoles CPUs had more raw computing power? It's looking like they traded raw performance for other improvements (like cost, versatility and power consumption).

That said, if that Mantle demo is any indication, next gen engines aren't going to be CPU limited at all.

You would be wrong in the case of the 360 CPU, I'm not sure about the PS3's, that thing was weird.

coldfoot

Banned

You'd be 100% wrong about the Xbox 360, and wrong about the PS3 as long as we're discussing general purpose processing and not floating point, where I'd wager the Cell would've been faster, but the GPU makes up for that now.

Vizzeh

Banned

X360 had 3 Core 3.2 Ghz, PS4 has possibly 1.8-2gh x 8 Cores - Also the latest cores will have more updated instruction sets / more efficient so I dont think so.

imt558

Banned

Yes, they have, at least PS3. PS3's Cell is a true beast in computing power. In terms of GFLOPS, 2X powerfull than CPU's in next-gen consoles.

c0de

Is it clarified whether the i7 used in the benchmark is the desktop or mobile variant?

More interesting: Why is it only above 2x better than PS4's CPU? It should easily wipe the floor with PS4's CPU.
Without any details on this graph and what and how results were achieved it tells us close to nothing.

The problem with PlanetSide 2 was that it didn't take advantage of multiple cores very well. The optimization needed to get PlansetSide 2 to work on the PS4 is to better split the CPU load among more threads. Up until now PlanetSide 2 has been relying on the brute force single thread computing power of Intel processors to get by. AMD's performance has suffered because it requires multithreaded programs and GPU compute to unlock its performance potential.

didn't they update PC version with better multithreaded performance?

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Or it depends on how big his room is and how far he sits away, what is around the console etc.

Once it's up and running, even with game discs, mine is silent from where I sit with no game audio. Sometimes if I paused a game and went away for a bit, I forget it's even on since it is that quiet. Of course, installing a game though, yeah there is definitely sound, but still a lot quieter than the ps3 and 360 imo.

Also, yeah, I heard the Xbone is even more quiet.

Well, yeah, mine is much quieter than my PS3 (Phat) as well. The latter probably makes more noise just idling on the XMB than my PS4 does while running something like AC4. But I can definitely hear my PS4 at all times if the game audio isn't too loud. It might be that the way it's been placed (on a glass shelf in an entertainment center with one side open) makes it a bit hotter and also amplifies all the noise it makes, or it might be that I have better hearing than the two of you, or it might be something else. I just don't buy that any PS4 in existence is "dead quiet", as that should be impossible.

More interesting: Why is it only above 2x better than PS4's CPU? It should easily wipe the floor with PS4's CPU.
Without any details on this graph and what and how results were achieved it tells us close to nothing.

the performance difference was never that big to begin with, old estimations was that a jaguar core is half the performance of one core on a quadcore core i5 CPU.

Isn't this just a case where the Xbox One is simply using less CPU for these kinds of tasks due to the way in which the Xbox One's resources are partitioned and reserved between 3 operating systems to allow the kind of multi-tasking that the system does even while a full fledged game is running, not to mention the Kinect reservation that's likely always there whether you have it plugged in or not?

Isn't that all that's happening here? Both systems are, afterall, running more or less the same CPU, unless of course the PS4 CPU is clocked higher than we all thought, in which case, the way the Xbox One's resources are partitioned probably matters a lot less in that scenario if we're simply dealing with a PS4 CPU that's just clocked higher than the Xbox One's, but somehow I have a feeling this is a similar deal as those browser benchmarks that were ran before. :)

Going back and reading the thread for the 150Mhz boost to the X1 CPU is hilarious.

I wonder if Digital Foundry will take down their article about the X1 having a major advantage on the CPU side of things now?

Top Bottom