• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Substance Engine benchmark implies PS4 CPU is faster than Xbox One's

coldfoot

Banned
That isn't even a good thing, Valve has said while porting games to Linux that OpenGL is much more efficient than DirectX.
It was a Panello reference :))

Buying a system for "only exclusive games" is what Nintendo enjoyed with the Gamecube as well as the Wii-U. Not sure that's a good thing.
MS is nowhere as near fucked as Nintendo for 3rd party support. Multiplatform games will still come to Xbone.

Wow. I wonder if this is because of virtualization overhead...

virtualization of what?

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=80951633&postcount=195

Albert Penello strikes again. MS math etc etc.

I'm not really surprised by this to be honest, which is why I called Albert out when he made that statement about the CPU despite the PS4 info being unpublished.

I'm curious, did he ever post again after the console releases and the performance difference became a stone hard fact?

Steroyd

Buying a system for "only exclusive games" is what Nintendo enjoyed with the Gamecube as well as the Wii-U. Not sure that's a good thing.

MS messed up by not catering to the millions of people that made Xbox a household name by wanting a powerhouse of a console.

Like the GameCube MS will be receiving ports which can't be said for the Wii U, however those "superior" multiplatform games MS enjoyed for 2 generations won't be a selling point for the ZOne this time round, will be interesting to see.

Marco1

As much as I asked yesterday why there was no battery indicator, vibration off option on the dashboard ans no space used display for xbone. There is still no way for me to play the next alan wake on anything other than xbone.
That reason alone will stop me selling it and keeping my PS4 only.
EDIT: Please don't fuck up Halo 5 like you did with H4.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
So MS has the slower console yet they have the bigger case and external PSU?
Those MS engineers really worked hard on this one.

To be fair, by all accounts the XBO is noticeably quieter than the PS4 (not that the latter is loud, just louder). So there's that, and... that's pretty much it. In every other way the PS4 certainly looks like a significantly better designed machine.

As much as I asked yesterday why there was no battery indicator, vibration off option on the dashboard ans no space used display for xbone. There is still no way for me to play the next alan wake on anything other than xbone.
That reason alone will stop me selling it and keeping my PS4 only.

Alan Wake ain't getting a sequel. Remedy is a 1 team studio and they are doing Quantum Break. Which is probably going to be awesome.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
in reality it's not really hard to improve on the PS4 hardware wise, so it was MS's decision to make the XO weaker no doubt about it.
It was their decision to make something that won't be losing them truckloads of money yes. Because that's what they'd have to do if they wanted to improve on PS4 hardware wise while not charging more money for it.

imt558

Banned
175MHz for the CPU. The 53MHz relates to the GPU.

Still, it makes no difference in the age of GPU compute. Both CPUs are very weak, around the same power as what is expected from top line mobile processors in 2014.

Not quite that CPU's are weak, at least in PS4. Game like Planetside 2 is heavy CPU eater on PC. According to SOE, Planetside 2 on PS4 will be indentical to PC version - 2000 players, huge draw distance etc.

14mb/s vs 12mb/s is a decent difference per second. These CPU's are better than you think or alot of people think, they may not be i7's but they do not need to be, they are DEDICATED cpu's with alot of the consoles primary workload put onto the GPU's (of which the PS4 had significant compute) 8 Cores * 2ghz = is decent (albeit 1/2 likely reserved for OS)

Last Gen 360 had a 3 Core 3.2ghz... do the math.

Yep! CPU's in consoles work in different circumstances.

Vizzeh

Banned
I don't believe any of this. Can we get confirmation from Penello and Major Nelson?

Its all Kind of funny when you consider Alberts/MS Post on Gaf suggesting their CPU was faster/Specifically the bolded CPU points. please ignore the other debated and debunked theorys including the CU's/Esram etc (lol)

• 18 CU's vs. 12 CU's =/= 50% more performance. Multi-core processors have inherent inefficiency with more CU's, so it's simply incorrect to say 50% more GPU.
• Adding to that, each of our CU's is running 6% faster. It's not simply a 6% clock speed increase overall.
• We have more memory bandwidth. 176gb/sec is peak on paper for GDDR5. Our peak on paper is 272gb/sec. (68gb/sec DDR3 + 204gb/sec on ESRAM). ESRAM can do read/write cycles simultaneously so I see this number mis-quoted.
• We have at least 10% more CPU. Not only a faster processor, but a better audio chip also offloading CPU cycles.
• We understand GPGPU and its importance very well. Microsoft invented Direct Compute, and have been using GPGPU in a shipping product since 2010 - it's called Kinect.
• Speaking of GPGPU - we have 3X the coherent bandwidth for GPGPU at 30gb/sec which significantly improves our ability for the CPU to efficiently read data generated by the GPU.

penello.png

http://67.227.255.239/forum/showpost.php?p=80951633&postcount=195

Albert Penello strikes again. MS math etc etc.

I'm not really surprised by this to be honest, which is why I called Albert out when he made that statement about the CPU despite the PS4 info being unpublished.

lol Slightly beaten, was working on the image etc :p

To be fair, by all accounts the XBO is noticeably quieter than the PS4 (not that the latter is loud, just louder). So there's that, and... that's pretty much it. In every other way the PS4 certainly looks like a significantly better designed machine.

Is it? I haven't played an Xbone, but my PS4 is dead quiet.

Skeff

virtualization of what?

I'm curious, did he ever post again after the console releases and the performance difference became a stone hard fact?

Only in the 1 million consoles sold thread and the launch thread. He no longer talks about performance.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
I think the greater likelihood is that the PS4 has less cores reserved for the OS. GopherD said they were aiming for less than 1 core.

... which for a console makes a lot of sense. Compared to a PC with multiple windowed apps and the likelyhood that more than 1 of them is doing non lightweight work at a time, game consoles or even devices like iPhone or iPad you mostly do heavy duty work on the currently foregrounded app as you do not really have a way to quickly interact with more than one app at a time. In such cases, if switching from one full screen app to another and back is fast enough, the point of dedicating lots of resources to background applications is lost... you do not have to do that.

I don't recall MS saying that their CPU was faster than PS4s, just that it was faster than it used to be. I think fans came up with that by using the 1.6 from the rumors/leaks. I could be wrong. Anyway, this is cool, thanks for posting.

Wrong. Here's a statement from Albert Penello during his laughable "bullshit math" phase back in September:
• We have at least 10% more CPU. Not only a faster processor, but a better audio chip also offloading CPU cycles.

Edit: Beaten by Vizzeh. Curse yooooouuuuuuu!

Bgamer90

Banned
Well it's the reason I bought an OG Xbox as my primary. It's also the reason I bought a 360 as my primary. So I do say so.

And millions of other people bought previous Xbox consoles (as well as previous Playstation consoles for that matter since the past 3 didn't have the best looking multiplats) due to games & features.

So yes, gamers buy consoles for different personal reasons which (surprisingly) some don't seem to understand.

It was their decision to make something that won't be losing them truckloads of money yes. Because that's what they'd have to do if they wanted to improve on PS4 hardware wise while not charging more money for it.

sony isn't losing trucks loads of money too, if MS microsoft didn't bundle the kinect at $500 they could have designed a console 2x the power of the PS4 without taking major losses.

jaypah

What does this mean?

Sorry, it means when you fuck up you have to deal with it. If you live a trife life you can't be mad when someone does you dirty. If you're in the game slangin' stepped on RAM and trying to stretch that rez with too much scaler don't be surprised when a fiend comes and bust ya head.

lol

imt558

Banned
How could you believe anything they say?

People DO understand that Microsoft has some of the smartest graphics programmers IN THE WORLD. We CREATED DirectX, the standard API’s that everyone programs against. So while people laude Sony for their HW skills, do you really think we don’t know how to build a system optimized for maximizing graphics for programmers? Seriously? There is no way we’re giving up a 30%+ advantage to Sony. And ANYONE who has seen both systems running could say there are great looking games on both systems. If there was really huge performance difference – it would be obvious.

Microsoft BOUGHT Direct X technology from RenderMorphics 18 years ago.

vpance

Better CPU? Nope.
Shape? TrueAudio.
Quieter? Nope (I think Anand measured PS4 to be quieter actually, I might be wrong)

farisr

virtualization of what?

Last post he made was on Xbone launch day, and he mostly talked about sales that day. No comments on performance.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Is it? I haven't played an Xbone, but my PS4 is dead quiet.

That's what people say. I personally haven't heard the sound of an XBO in real life, since the console doesn't exist here yet, but with it being so much larger and having a larger fan (a larger fan can move more air than a smaller one without having to spin as fast) I can certainly believe it.

And no, your PS4 isn't "dead quiet". It couldn't possibly be, it has a fan running at all times after all. Maybe you meant to say that you don't notice it over the game audio, which I'd be more inclined to believe.

sono

I was wondering when the PS4 cpu would be compared, thats a good result for PS4.

Dont forget the cloud.

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
That means that the evidence for a 1,8Ghz-clock was probably correct. (We had that one slide that was considered relatively trustworthy, forgot about the source).

7 cores @ 1,8Ghz seems to fit those benchmarks.

Better CPU? Nope.
Shape? TrueAudio.
Quieter? Nope (I think Anand measured PS4 to be quieter actually, I might be wrong)

the PS4 is only quieter during blu-ray movies, other than that the PS4 is louder in most cases, anyway in real world situations both are very quiet expecially if you compare them to their predecessors.

BigDug13

And millions of other people bought previous Xbox consoles (as well as previous Playstation consoles for that matter since the past 3 didn't have the best looking multiplats) due to games & features.

So yes, gamers buy consoles for different personal reasons which (surprisingly) some don't seem to understand.

Oh I understand it. I wasn't the one who said "I don't understand why anybody would buy one" because that's a pretty stupid statement to make. But another 80 mil vs 80 mil sales generation is all but guaranteed not to happen IMO.

And for me personally, I'm disappointed in the specs for the money.

farisr

And no, your PS4 isn't "dead quiet". It couldn't possibly be, it has a fan running at all times after all. Maybe you meant to say that you don't notice it over the game audio, which I'd be more inclined to believe.

Or it depends on how big his room is and how far he sits away, what is around the console etc.

Once it's up and running, even with game discs, mine is silent from where I sit with no game audio. Sometimes if I paused a game and went away for a bit, I forget it's even on since it is that quiet. Of course, installing a game though, yeah there is definitely sound, but still a lot quieter than the ps3 and 360 imo.

Also, yeah, I heard the Xbone is even more quiet.

Vizzeh

Banned
That means that the evidence for a 1,8Ghz-clock was probably correct. (We had that one slide that was considered relatively trustworthy, forgot about the source).

7 cores @ 1,8Ghz seems to fit those benchmarks.

Although would 0.25ghz (up on 1.75ghz) over 7 Cores create the delta of 2mb/s 14vs12mb/s?

Don't read too much into it.

AHahaha! This one always gets me.

So X1 is literally inferior hardware-wise (CPU, GPU, memory subsystem) in every aspect, except perhaps the audio block (which needs extra horsepower to deal with Kinect). Maybe those devs that claimed PS4 was literally 50% more powerful were not exaggerating.

Top Bottom