• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Subway to stop putting a chemical used in rubber into Its bread

Status
Not open for further replies.

mt1200

Utterly disgusting. Can't believe it wasn't prohibited in the first place. Makes me question whether or not the american food production industry values health.

There are a lot of imported american goods at the local supermarkets where I live, and I can tell you i'm always shocked by the huge amounts of sugar everything has. I don't buy that "FAT FREE" bullshit if they instead put half a pound of sugar in cranberry juices.

And judging from the high cancer, obesity, and diabetes rates in the USA, It's pretty obvious to me that the american food industry doesn't give a crap about people's health, they'll keep adding more sugar, sodium, or.. rubber chemicals.

jakncoke

Banned
Its amazing some the shit FDA allows. Did they think most of these rulings were a good idea or simply lobbied into allowing it and brushed it under the public eye?

Reading up on the ingredient from Wikipedia:

xAKSfts.jpg

Azulsky

They are still using H2O to make bread and I hear H2O is used in nuclear reactors.

Will anyone think of the children.

Dont English majors take something that equates to a logic or critical thinking class at university/college before they are allowed to humiliate themselves.

Benutzer

There's a lot of imported american goods at the local supermarkets where I live, and I can tell you i'm always shocked by the huge amounts of sugar everything has. I don't buy that "FAT FREE" bullshit if they instead put half a pound of sugar in cranberry juices.

And judging from the high cancer, obesity, and diabetes rates in the USA, It's pretty obvious to me that the american food industry doesn't give a crap about people's health, they'll keep adding more sugar, sodium, or.. rubber chemicals.

I think the cardiovascular disease and high blood pressure risks of high salt intake are exaggerated.

NHale

Hey guys don't ever drink dihydrogen monoxide. It's a chemical used in concrete and everyone is selling it and people keep drinking it.

And the FDA allows it! Incredible!

Hey guys don't ever drink dihydrogen monoxide. It's a chemical used in concrete and everyone is selling it and people keep drinking it.

And the FDA allows it! Incredible!

I prefer to roll my own. Two parts H, one part O, stir until combined. Perfect every time.

kick51

Banned
is the chemical guilty by association or something

Mass produced has something that could be construed as weird in it

News at 11

This is why people get away with selling products that remove the vortex phytotoxinitis from your chakra zones

Why is the US normally one of the last developed countries to stop using an additive that has been banned by other countries?

takes a long time roll things out when your country is 50 european countries in one. can't just think of things and implement them the next day

texas-europe-map.jpeg

Gannd

Banned
They are still using H2O to make bread and I hear H2O is used in nuclear reactors.

Dont English majors take something that equates to a logic or critical thinking class at university/college before they are allowed to humiliate themselves.

HEY! They are trying to SAVE THE WORLD. What are you doing Mr. Science understanding person!

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
People need to realize that a chemical used in rubber is not rubber. The compound's main use is a flour treatment agent, so it makes dough rise faster and stronger. THIS DOESN'T MEAN IT'S RUBBER.

Frustrated chemist here.
I'm pretty sure they even use the chemical dihydrogen monoxide in the development of rubber, which we also use in almost all our foods. Many don't know that we also use this chemical in nuclear reactors!

Woah.

kick51

Banned
sv0jlIu.jpg

oh noes! microwaves were never fully researched before adoption!

some of this is practically engrish

nobody tell them raw foods are covered in bacteria, dirt, and possibly a bit of animal shit

I was suspicious that one time I dropped my footlong and it bounced back into my lap.

lol

mrklaw

MrArseFace
it'd be interesting to see a comparison of food between the US and Europe/Australia - see what kind of crap they put into everyday stuff in one area that they aren't allowed to in another.

This as one example, then Canada banning Marmite for having too much salt. There must be hundreds of examples of major brands that have significant differences which seem to have no point but on an industrial scale probably saves the companies millions

NekoFever

Man, when did chemical become a scary word? I guess it come from a misunderstanding of what and where chemicals are (see:everywhere and everything)

The same stupid thinking that everything natural is good started using 'chemical' to mean 'harmful, toxic, *gasp* artificial substance'.

I once saw plant food with "100% chemical free - just add water" on the package.

takes a long time roll things out when your country is 50 european countries in one. can't just think of things and implement them the next day

texas-europe-map.jpeg

People tend to think because US is largely descended from Europe they must think alike. Average American attitudes can see very different from Europeans. Now let those attitudes form policy over 200 years. For better or worse that's who we are.

Subway skeeves me out. Meats made from scraps processed in a factory somewhere and shipped in a bag of gelatinous liquid; questionable "fresh" veggies and condiments, all thrown on a barely browned loaf of carcinogenic bread-rubber.

Dyno

Subway fell off for me a couple years ago. You can taste the cheapness of the ingredients they use. Everything is just so bland and tasteless.

~Devil Trigger~

In favor of setting Muslim women on fire
lol Subway and bread...

Subway sandwiches have no bread. Shit is thin as hell, can barely hold its content

Quiznos >>>>>>> Subway #facts

Merino

Meanwhile people will still keep eating bread enhanced with L-cysteïne which is often extracted from human hair (obtained from Chinese barbershops).

lil smoke

Banned
I'm over Subway.

That bread smells good when you're walking past. It tastes like chemicals. You don't leave spending $5 ever, They rush you thru the line, whut-kinda-bread?? If you take 4 seconds and look at the oven to see, they get all flustered and point you to their dumb pic, just to tell me they ran out of hearty Italian. They use that dirty ass knife that they dip into that nasty water. Dude if you cut dude's sub with mayo and I don't want mayo, CHANGE the F'in knife. Fuck charging me for spinach when you want to. Ughh what a nasty place, why the hell do we bother with that piece of shit?

The only thing good there is the branded coffee with the double slide-close lids.

I bought a bag of Sunbeam hotdog buns once and there was an actual chunk of black rubber in the bag. Probably not related but kind of funny (and worrisome).

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
I think it's equally idiotic to equate all chemicals to water, as it is to act they're all as dangerous as cyanide. In this case there are indications that the chemical formed can have adverse effects. I can't personally assess how dangerous it is or isn't, but acting in the complete opposite of the naturalistic fallacy is still a fallacy.

oh is that a gal I see?

Meanwhile people will still keep eating bread enhanced with L-cysteïne which is often extracted from human hair (obtained from Chinese barbershops).

And is L-cysteine actually harmful, or are we supposed to go "EWWW from HAIR!" like a fucking three year old and not eat it because of that?

That or the EU has fallen for a bunch of hokum.

Chemicals are good for you. :)

They may have, but the question is which chemicals are good for you vs. which chemicals are bad. Regardless of their natural or synthetic origins, some are good for your health, some neutral/inert, and some bad.

Many synthetically produced chemicals not found elsewhere in nature (in abundance anyway) happen to be bad for you because we haven't co-evolved with them to consume and assimilate them safely (i.e., our bodies do not have proper mechanisms available to deal with them).

Time to start a farm.

I thought Subway was all "fresh and healthy". Is there a food chain out there that isn't trying to kill you?

They may have, but the question is which chemicals are good for you vs. which chemicals are bad. Regardless of their natural or synthetic origins, some are good for your health, some neutral/inert, and some bad.

Many synthetically produced chemicals not found elsewhere in nature (in abundance anyway) happen to be bad for you because we haven't co-evolved with them to consume and assimilate them safely (i.e., our bodies do not have proper mechanisms available to deal with them).

However, many medicinal compounds also contain synthetic compounds not found elsewhere in nature. Something isn't automatically terrible for you just because the human body didn't evolve being exposed to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom