• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sugary drinks more deadly than violent crime in Mexico

Status
Not open for further replies.

Foffy

Banned
I often feel I drink a lot of soda, and I'm actually really underweight. I ponder why I consume so much when it does me no good and actually does odd harm to me; I'm actually allergic to some of the things in soda, so my shoulders constantly feel like they're tight.

Probably sugar addiction, and it's a hard addiction to get away from; so much of what's out there here in America is literally sugar coated. No wonder we have a weight problem.

Mexico sure loves their sodas.

They are delicious no doubt.

jarritos.jpg

I would stab a man for some Jarritos

kswiston

Doesn't matter what you eat or how much you exercise if you're drinking 10 cokes a day, that's like HUNDREDS or more of grams of sugar per day when the daily max recommended intake is like 45g (don't remember exactly, you can look up the FDA amount). Plus lots of studies have linked sugar intake to diabetes, heart disease and cancer.

I am not doubting that sodas are heavily contributing to these things. It just seems like there would be a lot of confounding risk factors in most of these cases.

PSqueak

Banned
I am not doubting that sodas are heavily contributing to these things. It just seems like there would be a lot of confounding risk factors in most of these cases.

It's less frowned upon for common folk to drink sodas in excess than, say, gorging yourself in chocolate or ice cream, so it's kind of more than likely that the problems come from soda and sweet beverage consumption than any other source of sugar.

The Lamp

I often feel I drink a lot of soda, and I'm actually really underweight. I ponder why I consume so much when it does me no good and actually does odd harm to me; I'm actually allergic to some of the things in soda, so my shoulders constantly feel like they're tight.

Probably sugar addiction, and it's a hard addiction to get away from; so much of what's out there here in America is literally sugar coated. No wonder we have a weight problem.

Sugar may not add fat to waistline for some people, but it can add visceral fat to your liver and other organs, which even skinny people can have, and is very unhealthy. It's called TOFI (thin on the outside, fat in the inside)

That's sad to hear. When I drank sodas frequently while growing up I think I was hooked on the sugar intake itself. When I quit many years back and went to just water I started to notice that I no longer had the craving for sodas at all. Kinda like how an ex-smoker no longer craves the nicotine after a certain amount of time. Today I find it hard to even drink one because I notice how overly sweet they taste, where before that sweetness would fill me with a sense of satisfaction. It must suck to have the presence of sugary drinks so ingrained in one's daily activities.

Quitting sugary beverages was the best thing I ever did health-wise next to quitting cigarettes. For me now nothing beats a cold glass of water because it gives me satisfaction from quenching my thirst and not feeding some addiction to sugars.

magnetic

Mexico sure loves their sodas.

They are delicious no doubt.

jarritos.jpg

Wow, I love the design, looks like something from the 50s or 60s.

I treat soda like it should be: liquid candy. Sometimes I love a nice ginger beer or cream soda from the import shop, but I'm well aware that it's a snack rather than something I drink to keep hydrated.

Those are the kind of people that say "I hate drinking water, it tastes like nothing".

MultiCore

I approve of a war on coca cola.

I disapprove of this.

I do think people should exercise some self control.

I love drinking coke(all 'cokes' are coke where I'm from), but I'm doing my darndest to stop because I know it's worse for me than I realized.

However, I want to be able to have a coke without arbitrary restrictions designed to punish me.

The Lamp

I disapprove of this.

I do think people should exercise some self control.

I love drinking coke(all 'cokes' are coke where I'm from), but I'm doing my darndest to stop because I know it's worse for me than I realized.

However, I want to be able to have a coke without arbitrary restrictions designed to punish me.

It's possible to argue that this is ethically beyond just an issue of personal responsibility when 70% of the country is overweight, sugar is incredibly addicting, they buy 3L portion sizes, and the culture their drinks it for every meal of the day. It's a public health crisis, it's not useful to pin it as an issue of self-control when the issue is on this scale. It's like telling meth addicts to exercise some self control when the supply is cheap, plentiful, and encouraged in their area.

theres nothing wrong with soda, in moderation. Much like all foods. If you drink 6 a day, that's a problem.

Its about a balanced diet.

I mean it's practically liquid toxicity (the liver processes fructose as a toxin), but in the same vein, so is alcohol, and smoking is also toxic. But like those, if you do it on rare occasion for enjoyment, it's unlikely it will kill you.

Of course, as you said, some people are far beyond occasion.

magnetic

Sounds like drinking sweet stuff is deeply ingrained in their culture. I remember that back when I was a kid, having a cola was a very special occasion. I mean, not that pure juice is much better, but we didn't get that in abundance either.

On a sidenote, I recently tried a Twinkie for the first time, and the sweetness was so harsh and overwhelming that I could barely finish the one piece I had. I love sweet stuff once in a while, but if the Twinkie is any indication of how sweet Americans like their stuff, it's no wonder obesity is a big problem.

Sounds like Mexico loves their sweet taste in a very similar way. I mean, 3L bottles of Coke... That has to really impact your taste buds.

Toxi

Banned
From what I understand, part of what caused the wide consumption of soda in Mexico is the inconsistent water quality. When the water in some places isn't properly filtrated, soda is an easy bottled alternative.

The other part is that Coca Cola is very aggressive about marketing there.

mreddie

Coca Cola and Pepsi own Mexico, especially when the water is so fucked, bottled water is also a money maker over there.

From what I understand, part of what caused the wide consumption of soda in Mexico is the inconsistent water quality. When the water in some places isn't properly filtrated, soda is an easy bottled alternative.

The other part is that Coca Cola is very aggressive about marketing there.

So is alcohol. The process of making beer can purify the nastiest of waters into something clean.

But even when Coke purifies the water before bottling, I can still taste regional differences from the water. Dallas water is nasty, even in a bottle of Coke.

Which is worse, a room full of sugar laden people or a room full of drunks?

Abounder

Banned
Yea it's a culture thing especially since we're in the global age of the booty: fat is sexy in Mexico. They don't want to lose weight unless it's super easy or until it's too late like other unhealthy folk.

Maybe they should try tea instead if it's healthier, at least you can boil your own water

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
lol that's what you like to think

The specific mineral content and dietary fibre in brown rice is huge to balance the body PH.

What in the world are you even talking about? Body pH balancing? That would be completely contingent on whatever other foods you eat, too.

Regardless of that, what does it have to do with obesity problem that is the context for this thread? Do you really think that the theory about the body becoming "too acidic" leading to a lack of oxygen and metabolism slowing down is a big contributor to obesity?

MultiCore

It's possible to argue that this is ethically beyond just an issue of personal responsibility when 70% of the country is overweight, sugar is incredibly addicting, they buy 3L portion sizes, and the culture their drinks it for every meal of the day. It's a public health crisis, it's not useful to pin it as an issue of self-control when the issue is on this scale. It's like telling meth addicts to exercise some self control when the supply is cheap, plentiful, and encouraged in their area.

Ethically, I think it's more important to maintain personal freedom than it is to stop people from doing something you'd rather they didn't do.

Analogies are bad, as sugar isn't illegal, and isn't quite as destructive as meth.

But yes, I'd hold a meth addict personally responsible for their behavior. Wouldn't you? Don't the courts? Shouldn't people be expected to behave responsibly, even if irresponsible behaviors are easy to perform as well?

I agree that the excess sugar consumption is bad for people, but I don't believe it's in my best interest to have the government restrict sugar, or anything else really.

magnetic

So is alcohol. The process of making beer can purify the nastiest of waters into something clean.

But even when Coke purifies the water before bottling, I can still taste regional differences from the water. Dallas water is nasty, even in a bottle of Coke.

Which is worse, a room full of sugar laden people or a room full of drunks?

That's true, back in the middle ages monks made beer because the water was so impure. The beer had much lower alcohol than today, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom