• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Suicide Bombers Kill At Least 27 Innocent Civilians, Wound 80 in Chad

Status
Not open for further replies.

hohoXD123

...on the island of Koulfoua in Chad.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/dec/05/chad-reels-after-suicide-bombers-target-island-markets

A triple suicide attack on an island in Lake Chad left at least 27 people dead and more than 80 wounded on Saturday.

Three suicide bombers blew themselves up in three locations at the weekly market on Koulfoua, an island on the Chadian side of the lake, according to a security source.

It was unclear who was responsible for the attacks, although the islands have been the target of attacks by the Islamist militant group Boko Haram, from neighbouring Nigeria, in recent months.

The jihadis, believed to be hiding out in Nigeria’s Sambisa forest and the lake’s many islands, are held responsible for 17,000 deaths and for making 2.5 million people homeless in their six-year campaign of violence.

suicide bombers are so horrifying because its next to impossible to stop.

if someone wants to they can strap a bomb and go most places.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Of course this can only end in a beautiful orderly caliphate where everyone agrees on a single interpretation of Islam. Seems legit.

Chariot

Boko Haram should get as much attention as ISIS, they're genocidal scum.
True. They are savages in their own right that get ignored far too much.

They are isis. They pledged allegiance
Semantics. Fact is, that Boko Haram doesn't get nearly as much media attention while piling up tons of crimes on it's own. You can just waive all the shit they do away with "but they are ISIS". They are not, and barely anyone fights them, can fight them. They are forgotten, hidden between the lines, in the deep of the news. Who cared when they kidnapped hundreds of young girls right out of school and made them sex slaves? How many countries send troops? How many called for air strikes against Boko Haram? Pledge or not, they are a menace on it's own with no enemy that stops them. You can't run away from that.

hohoXD123

They are isis. They pledged allegiance

Despite that, they seem like two separate groups with little coordination between them. Haven't heard of Boko Haram targeting any Western nations and I'm guessing that's why the West gives comparatively little fuck about them, aside from the whole kidnapped children situation last year.

Semantics. Fact is, that Boko Haram doesn't get nearly as much media attention while piling up tons of crimes on it's own. You can just waive all the shit they do away with "but they are ISIS". They are not, and barely anyone fights them, can fight them. They are forgotten, hidden between the lines, in the deep of the news. Who cared when they kidnapped hundreds of young girls right out of school and made them sex slaves? How many countries send troops? How many called for air strikes against Boko Haram? Pledge or not, they are a menace on it's own with no enemy that stops them. You can't run away from that.

The stark contrast between the airstrike erection the west has towards ISIS and the apathy towards Boko Haram when both commit similar atrocities is pretty damning.

I didn't mean to say that. I do think more attention needs to be paided to the ideology about the calphiate and its spread globally. Rather than just focusing on Europe, the US and ME.

Obviously the reason ISIS has gotten more attention is they're targeting westerns far more.

And to the bold, do you not remember #bringbackourgirls?

Despite that, they seem like two separate groups with little coordination between them. Haven't heard of Boko Haram targeting any Western nations and I'm guessing that's why the West gives comparatively little fuck about them, aside from the whole kidnapped children situation last year.

The stark contrast between the airstrike erection the west has towards ISIS and the apathy towards Boko Haram when both commit similar atrocities is pretty damning.

I believe we give a lot to the Nigerian Army which has taken a lot of their territory. Right now my understanding is they're pretty much just hidding in forests and striking like this. They've been beaten pretty badly militarly and the government has gotten many towns and villages back. I think there might even be US troops training over there.

Chariot

I didn't mean to say that. I do think more attention needs to be paided to the ideology about the calphiate and its spread globally. Rather than just focusing on Europe, the US and ME.

Obviously the reason ISIS has gotten more attention is they're targeting westerns far more.

And to the bold, do you not remember #bringbackourgirls?
I do. But my point is that nobody important moved. Just a bunch of people on the internet waiving their hands mumbling that somebody should do something. Not that I did anything of worth during the time, but the western politicians didn't flinch compared to how every ISIS news is received.

this is awful :(

what is Boko Haram's relationship with ISIS? out of curiosity, do they hate each other or allies in their path of hatred and destruction

Chariot

this is awful :(

what is Boko Haram's relationship with ISIS? out of curiosity, do they hate each other or allies in their path of hatred and destruction
Boko Haram pledged allegiance to ISIS and ISIS accepted. I don't think they really work together since they are in entirely different locations, but they are technically allied and Boko Haram wears the ISIS franchise with pride.

Abounder

Banned
Dozens of girls and women have been used in recent suicide bombings by Boko Haram in Nigeria, Chad, Cameroon and Niger, raising fears it is using kidnap victims to target countries involved in the regional force.

Doesn't get much more evil than that...

It's not like they're sitting around. It's been back and forth for months now.

I mean, they straight up massacred over 600 unarmed Boko Haram terrorists in a single day back in March. But fighting extremist terrorism is tough. The more you kill, the more they seem to pop back up.

but would you agree that this is the way it has to be done, internally countries have to fight themselves....

its more efficient the nigerian military is doing this and not uk or america

dabig2

but would you agree that this is the way it has to be done, internally countries have to fight themselves....

its more efficient the nigerian military is doing this and not uk or america

It's tricky. I honestly don't know. Obviously Nigeria can't rely on western powers and I"m sure they don't want to. But in the meantime during the back and forth, Nigeria is getting eaten away by cancer. As other African countries like Ethiopia, the DRC, and Cote d'Ivoire are growing their economies fast, Nigeria is stuck with this shit.

So yeah, wouldn't mind a global coalition to help stamp out these rats in Nigeria as well.

Haines

Banned
I bet Facebook will ask me to use the flag on my picture right?

So fucking weird to me how only some terrorists attacks are picked to be talked about on a global scale, or on Facebook.

Shaanyboi

Banned
Fucking hell... the disparity between reactions to Boko Haram and ISIS is disgusting. These fucks are just as twisted and horrible, yet who is responding to them?

iamblades

Boko Haram should get as much attention as ISIS, they're genocidal scum.

I agree, but as of yet, Boko Haram hasn't been a threat outside of Africa and hasn't really started recruiting westerners to join them en masse like ISIS has.

Sad as it is, until they start affecting people who are in a position to do something about it, nothing will happen.

Fucking hell... the disparity between reactions to Boko Haram and ISIS is disgusting. These fucks are just as twisted and horrible, yet who is responding to them?
Because it's happening in Africa the media mostly ignores it. As soon as they attack a western country then it'll be front page news.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom