• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Suicide Squad director: "Wish I had a time machine"; would make Joker villian

Status
Not open for further replies.

LakeEarth

My favorite part about discussing Suicide Squad us how Scott Eastwood's character dies to set off the bomb and no one noticed or mentions it, both in the movie and in SS threads. The only reason I even noted that character existed is because it was a semi-recognizable actor.

Kusagari

Normally, I can't stand Jared Leto but I loved the feel of his Joker. The Joker in Suicide Squad is a chaotic force of nature, would have loved to see a film that worked with that idea.

You literally just described Heath Ledger's Joker.

Leto Joke feels like a try hard teenager who watched The Dark Knight and tried to replicate the feel with none of the understanding of why it worked.

jelly

I didn't even know Scott Eastwood existed before this film and if he set it off, what was the point in Croc swimming in there. I forget or I don't want to remember.

jelly

You literally just described Heath Ledger's Joker.

Leto Joke feels like a try hard teenager who watched The Dark Knight and tried to replicate the feel with none of the understanding of why it worked.

One of the worse thing about Leto in this, you can see him acting, so charring. You half expect other characters to stop and say, why are you acting weird?

KDC720

To be fair, wasn't the Squads mission in the movie just to grab the VIP and then get out? They weren't actually supposed to be taking on the Enchantress. Although even in principle sending an assassin, a deranged woman with a baseball bat, and a dude who throws boomerangs into a supernatural warzone with two dangerous meta humans running around wasn't exactly a smart idea anyway.

I agree that the team should have been doing some super secret, super sketchy, more grounded black ops stuff instead. Also I honestly think you could just cut the Joker from the movie entirely, he served pretty much no purpose in the actual plot.

To be fair, wasn't the Squads mission in the movie just to grab the VIP and then get out? They weren't actually supposed to be taking on the Enchantress.

Yes, people tend to ignore that. However, in the briefing scenes, Waller pitches it as a team that could take out "the next Superman". Maybe Diablo, Deadshot, Enchantress and iunno Croc would be up for that but why the rest of the clown car.

One of my main gripes with the movie was how ridiculously I needed to suspend my disbelief for Harley's fighting prowess. Psychiatrist turned insane becomes a badass when given a baseball bat? That wasn't explained well or at all. Couldn't stand her character.

Yeah, none of that makes any sense.

The movie needed a better editor more than anything. The rumors said that the trailer guys edited the film, and I actually believe that, despite what Ayer may or may not claim.

Also, a different script and a different director would have done it favors. The cast was mostly good / fine, but having the Enchantress as the villain was a bad idea in general. They even basically repeated the climax of BVS, complete with the now cliche sky beam finale. Just a mess of a film.

caliph95

Yes, people tend to ignore that. However, in the briefing scenes, Waller pitches it as a team that could take out "the next Superman". Maybe Diablo, Deadshot, Enchantress and iunno Croc would be up for that but why the rest of the clown car.

Croc didn't seem particularly strong tho or at least strong enough to matter so he's out. Doesn't explain why boomerang and harley and such when they are just criminals wit gimmicks.

The Squad gets activated because Enchantress' brother is wreaking havoc in the city.

The movie needed a better editor more than anything. The rumors said that the trailer guys edited the film, and I actually believe that, despite what Ayer may or may not claim

it shows. there was a youtube video that recently went into a lot of editing problems. the start of the movie opens with black text on a dark background, followed by several shots where the eye's focus is all over the place and constantly being mislead. we are talking a series of images that are difficult for the eye to resolve.

one shot, introducing the Asylum, has a bunch of text in the middle of the frame that is completely obscured for over half its length by people walking & a truck driving in front of it. the clip is shown for just a second or so.

it is obviously something selected for a trailer, something that looks cool for a split second and is hard to make out, something that looks very clever when every website does its frame-by-frame breakdown and it comes across like some Easter egg.

the SS movie is often literally a trailer.

They should have just made a live-action remake of Batman: Assault on Arkham. They literally could have copy-pasted the storyline.

Assault on Arkham is far too Batman focused and that wasn't going to happen. Now, having Nightwing in that role could work.

It'll be interesting to see how or if Ayer learns from this with Gotham City Sirens. His quality is all over the place, so he has it in him to make a good movie.

kurahador

They should have just made a live-action remake of Batman: Assault on Arkham. They literally could have copy-pasted the storyline.

I said the same thing about Green Lantern when the animated film First Flight came out few years prior.
But WB works in mysterious ways.

No, go rewatch the movie.

someone will reply "No thanks" to this and it woulda been funny if i didnt ruin the joke by predicting it. sorry

I actually watched it recently just to remember how bad it is and after Enchantress' brother starts attacking the subway, the military dudes activated the Squad and wanted Viola Davis to go to Metro City to get a handle on it. Between that and when the Squad actually gets their briefing, their mission changed from stopping Enchantress' brother to saving Viola Davis.

Sorry I ruined your moment of smugness.

LionPride

Banned
No, go rewatch the movie.

someone will reply "No thanks" to this and it woulda been funny if i didnt ruin the joke by predicting it. sorry
Yeah, their original goal was to get the VIP and that was it. The premise that they could fight Superman if he went rogue though is pretty terrible. If they just went with the whole, they'll do the jobs that we don't want our military getting in trouble for, special forces shit, I'd be all in.

Phobophile

A scientist and gentleman in the manner of Batman.
Coincidentally, I'm watching Suicide Squad for the first time as I'm typing this post. I'm finding it to be pretty boring. I can typically go through a movie without picking up my phone if I like it enough.

Zabka

Yeah, their original goal was to get the VIP and that was it. The premise that they could fight Superman if he went rogue though is pretty terrible. If they just went with the whole, they'll do the jobs that we don't want our military getting in trouble for, special forces shit, I'd be all in.

They get activated because Enchantress' brother attacks the city. They even say to get Waller on site.

hobozero

Yeah, this right here. That damn thing has so many great one liners
Denzel
! You could pretty much change out any of the squad you want for another villian except for Harley and Deadshot, and they already had A-listers cast for those.

I would have loved to have seen "Ice puns? Really?" on the big screen. Smith would have killed with that line :)

Just how bad was Leto's Joker? I haven't had the courage to watch SS yet.

Awful and embarrassing to watch. Chasing after Ledger's Joker and failing completely.

SS didn't need Joker to be a villain. Then it would start to fall into a trap that the Batman games did in that they can't NOT put The Joker in the story. SS just needed a villain the wasn't the Enchantress. They shouldn't be fighting Superman tier foes.

I recently watched the movie and boy was it a trainwreck. I dont think Joker as the main villain would fix anything but enchantress sure was really really bad

it shows. there was a youtube video that recently went into a lot of editing problems. the start of the movie opens with black text on a dark background, followed by several shots where the eye's focus is all over the place and constantly being mislead. we are talking a series of images that are difficult for the eye to resolve.

one shot, introducing the Asylum, has a bunch of text in the middle of the frame that is completely obscured for over half its length by people walking & a truck driving in front of it. the clip is shown for just a second or so.

it is obviously something selected for a trailer, something that looks cool for a split second and is hard to make out, something that looks very clever when every website does its frame-by-frame breakdown and it comes across like some Easter egg.

the SS movie is often literally a trailer.

I saw that video. It was great. SS literally has some of the worst editing I've seen for a mainstream film in recent years, it's mad. Even BVS's editing was improved with the extended edition, as much as it didn't improve as an actual film.

Really refreshing to see a director admit to his movie's flaws. You don't see that often. Kudos to you, Ayer!

Just how bad was Leto's Joker? I haven't had the courage to watch SS yet.

Imagine a 14 year old going into Hot Topic for the first time and spending all of his (parent's) money there. That should give you some idea.

I honestly think it wasn't a good movie. It was... sort of there.

But I also think that BvS was far, far worse. It's something I guess?

I feel that BvS at least had a really interesting angle. Batmans fears were not totally unwarranted given the power level supes had and the struggle to come up with a way to beat superman really was interesting. However they botched it with the rest of the movie

Mr-Joker

Banned
I dunno I liked Enchantress as the villain, then again she was the only thing I liked about the damn movie.

I thought the Enchantress plot had a lot of potential actually. They just didn't make anything useful out of it.

Same, Enchantress was the most interesting thing about the movie but was just wasted.

mooncakes

Leto's Joker was not that bad. I like this gangster take of the Joker. Ayer take on this joker made him a kingpin of Gotham. He is suppose to be a crime boss.

The casts of the movie is good but the end of the world scenario does make the movie sucks though.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
Normally, I can't stand Jared Leto but I loved the feel of his Joker. The Joker in Suicide Squad is a chaotic force of nature, would have loved to see a film that worked with that idea.
Why is a chaotic force of nature hanging out in a nightclub?

opricnik

Banned
How would Joker be any effective aganist some one like Deadshot ? He would kill his all goons and him in seconds.

not even mentionig Croc,Diablo

SpaceWolf

Banned
I feel people are being a little hyperbolic about Leto's Joker. It wasn't a great Joker performance, but it wasn't the worst performance ever put to film either.

Fuck whoever came up with the idea to tattoo DAMAGED to his fucking head, though.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
One of my main gripes with the movie was how ridiculously I needed to suspend my disbelief for Harley's fighting prowess. Psychiatrist turned insane becomes a badass when given a baseball bat? That wasn't explained well or at all. Couldn't stand her character.
The Joker was a comedian though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom