• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2012 Anime |OT3| Where All the Waifus Are Made Up and the Points Don't Matter

Status
Not open for further replies.
1345476210432mmdtx.jpg

well

Caesnd

I can't say I agree with their opinion on Amanos art. I can see her appealing to a wide demographic but her style of drawing is most definitely very Shounen-influenced . Even the gun design is overstated in its simplicity, like something out of a CN show, as opposed to GiTS or Akira. Going by the description of what they want this show to be, you'd think they go for someone like Otomo or ABe. I suppose they choose Amano in order to create a more unique visual style. Something that can stand up to the greats of the past, rather than just emulating them?

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
I can't say I agree with their opinion on Amanos art. I can see her appealing to a wide demographic but her style of drawing is most definitely very Shounen-influenced . Even the gun design is overstated in its simplicity, like something out of a CN show, as opposed to GiTS or Akira. Going by the description of what they want this show to be, you'd think they go for someone like Otomo or ABe. I suppose they choose Amano in order to create a more unique visual style, in order to create something that can stand up to the greats of the past, rather than just emulating them?

Also Amano's art is pretty damn ugly, while ABe rocks. A real tragedy. :(

- Yamamoto was also the one who had the idea to get Amano involved in the character designs. The reason for this is because he feels that her artwork has a more adult taste in them, and she's also popular with both male and female demographics, so it would be a more gender neutral style which can appeal to older audiences as well.

- The story and science-fiction world setting is something which the chief producer and the script writer (Urobuchi!!) planned out together. Some of the details and ideas evolved along with Amano's designs however. It seems that both the Dominator gun and the wrist bracelet computer they use to calculate Psycho-Pass measurements are things which developed from Amano's preference for gadget designs.

I guess they picked jumps best character designer, and her close ups of all the items the vongola rings, box weapons, etc do look great in Reborn!

BluWacky

Dude, Tari Tari is Glee without Ryan Murphy shitting things up.

If she is remotely a fan of Glee, it's a no brainer.

You've said this before, and I really don't understand the appeal of Tari Tari in comparison with Glee. For me, Tari Tari has all of the worst parts of Glee i.e. the melodrama and overly earnest/saccharine stuff, and none of the good parts i.e. the black comedy and the slick pop/musical theatre performances.

I can't say I agree with their opinion on Amanos art. I can see her appealing to a wide demographic but her style of drawing is most definitely very Shounen-influenced . Even the gun design is overstated in its simplicity, like something out of a CN show, as opposed to GiTS or Akira. Going by the description of what they want this show to be, you'd think they go for someone like Otomo or ABe. I suppose they choose Amano in order to create a more unique visual style, in order to create something that can stand up to the greats of the past, rather than just emulating them?

The designs themselves are pretty shouneny, but I would say the actual art style and shading and stuff is pretty unique.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
For cajun: there's another episode in Sengoku Collection that has Ieyasu as the focus but I'm not telling which one. You'll have to watch to find it!

duckroll

I can't say I agree with their opinion on Amanos art. I can see her appealing to a wide demographic but her style of drawing is most definitely very Shounen-influenced . Even the gun design is overstated in its simplicity, like something out of a CN show, as opposed to GiTS or Akira. Going by the description of what they want this show to be, you'd think they go for someone like Otomo or ABe. I suppose they choose Amano in order to create a more unique visual style. Something that can stand up to the greats of the past, rather than just emulating them?

To be honest, what I'm generally getting from all the vibes is that Yamamoto really wants this to be successful, and he wants it to have wide appeal internationally and across all demographics, and he wants something super popular, etc. I'm... not sure if he'll get it. I always feel that true success is very hard to manufacture, and just putting people together who are individually popular or successful is not a great way to artificially create something successful.

But I guess we'll see. Madoka was certainly created in a similar way, and it turned out very successful. But that has Aniplex behind it... a true marketing juggernaut.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
You've said this before, and I really don't understand the appeal of Tari Tari in comparison with Glee. For me, Tari Tari has all of the worst parts of Glee i.e. the melodrama and overly earnest/saccharine stuff, and none of the good parts i.e. the black comedy and the slick pop/musical theatre performances.
Black comedy? You mean annoying Sue Sylvester being annoyingly annoying?
And honestly, I'm at a point where I skip all the music in Glee now. I just suffered through the Murphyisms out of some #hatewatch obligation.

It's hard, of course, because if I was comparing Glee S1 to Tari Tari, maybe I'd be more favourable to Glee (and even forgive that whole fake pregnancy idiocy), but after a few years, any semblance of non-shitty storytelling is enough for me.

The heck?
It's from that Disney knockoff thread.

Branduil

To be honest, what I'm generally getting from all the vibes is that Yamamoto really wants this to be successful, and he wants it to have wide appeal internationally and across all demographics, and he wants something super popular, etc. I'm... not sure if he'll get it. I always feel that true success is very hard to manufacture, and just putting people together who are individually popular or successful is not a great way to artificially create something successful.

But I guess we'll see. Madoka was certainly created in a similar way, and it turned out very successful. But that has Aniplex behind it... a true marketing juggernaut.

Madoka had the power of little girls, though.

Caesnd

It was probably just to get women watching it too.

I'm over thinking things as usual I guess!

The designs themselves are pretty shouneny, but I would say the actual art style and shading and stuff is pretty unique.

Amano is by no means derivative, but it's going to be interesting to see how her designs mesh with the concept of this show, given the inspiration sources they mentioned in the interview.

Well, naturally, but the show seems to be created in a similar vein as well (at least some themes, character archetypes and setting are shared), but that actually just makes Amanos involvement all the more interesting to me, come to think of it!

Jex

It's interesting that they cite Ghost in the Shell (and even Patlabor) because it's not like Production I.G. made Ghost in the Shell envisioning that it would be a huge success globally. It just kind of...happened. Which isn't to say that you can't induce that same success deliberately but generally it fails e.g. every Gonzo show aimed at a Western audience. Well, to be fair, they also sucked but I digress.

BluWacky

Black comedy? You mean annoying Sue Sylvester being annoyingly annoying?

I mean Rachel Berry accusing a teacher of paedophilia because he won't give her a solo. I mean the pamphlets in Emma's office saying "My Mom's Bipolar And She Won't Stop Yelling". Can you imagine a character in Tari Tari composing a song about someone's freakishly giant lips?

And honestly, I'm at a point where I skip all the music in Glee now. I just suffered through the Murphyisms out of some #hatewatch obligation.

You skip the MUSIC???? In GLEE?

I'm not saying the storytelling in Glee isn't terrible. Boy, is it. What I'm trying to work out is the connection between liking Glee and liking Tari Tari. Just because they're about underdog "choirs" doesn't mean they're anything alike in the slightest, and the reasons I ever liked Glee at all aren't present in Tari Tari.

cajunator

Banned
Not sure if exposed bikini or panties.

I have no idea what you're talking about here.

Have you seen Inaba in Kokoro Connect?

Admittedly no. another show on a very long backlog.

Inaba = Misaki = Watashi

This is the true ranking.

I'll trust your word on this because we certainly agree on Watashi and Misaki.
Plus were Nakama and everything.

For cajun: there's another episode in Sengoku Collection that has Ieyasu as the focus but I'm not telling which one. You'll have to watch to find it!

SON OF A MOTHER FFFF-

duckroll

It's interesting that they cite Ghost in the Shell (and even Patlabor) because it's not like Production I.G. made Ghost in the Shell envisioning that it would be a huge success globally. It just kind of...happened. Which isn't to say that you can't induce that same success deliberately but generally it fails e.g. every Gonzo show aimed at a Western audience. Well, to be fair, they also sucked but I digress.

Well, how many good futuristic police-team anime franchises can you think of? Yamamoto wanted a cop show, so I think it makes sense that from a producer point of view, if he could make anything, he would want to make something "as successful and iconic as" those two works. It's pretty slim pickings in the genre honestly, in terms of quality.

Thoraxes

Agreed, lovely recommendation! The cool liberalness of the setting and the personalities of the roommates attracts you at first sight, but later the sarcastic and layered (sometimes a bit mysterious) nature of the characters makes it so interesting after the initial impression.

After seeing Kimagure Orange Road, at the time I searched for this work because I thought the character designer for it was Akemi Takada (several years ago, in the mid-90s, I didn't knew much about Japanese animation creators so I assumed things based on similar look) and didn't have access to the Internet to check up on project's staff and such. She was who at first made me interested on this work. Later I knew that she didn't participate on this.

Obviously I don't regret such mistake, and I wonder if sometimes this isn't the best way of discovering new things!
Very interesting.
I can only speculate that it is either VA worship or that it's just pleasant and generic enough, with some equally pleasant songs, that it's something people want.
Maybe people really like Miyamoto.

8ezI6.jpg

Tari Tari's first BD comes with an event ticket. I don't remember what the event is, but those BDs usually do pretty well.
The main thing about my feelings on this is that it's just a show that screams average. The ticket thing will be interesting in upcoming sales.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Very interesting.
Maybe people really like Miyamoto.
God damn it. lol

I mean Rachel Berry accusing a teacher of paedophilia because he won't give her a solo. I mean the pamphlets in Emma's office saying "My Mom's Bipolar And She Won't Stop Yelling". Can you imagine a character in Tari Tari composing a song about someone's freakishly giant lips?

You skip the MUSIC???? In GLEE?

I'm not saying the storytelling in Glee isn't terrible. Boy, is it. What I'm trying to work out is the connection between liking Glee and liking Tari Tari. Just because they're about underdog "choirs" doesn't mean they're anything alike in the slightest, and the reasons I ever liked Glee at all aren't present in Tari Tari.

I dunno, the VP is Sue without being annoying. Wakana is Rachel without being annoying. Badminton guy is Flynn without being annoying, and so on.
They're not also a) the best singers at the school while also b) being constant underdogs with questionable talent.

But, that's the comparison I would make - they're basically the rejects of the school trying to form their own club in spite of the opposition against them. It's also derpy enough not to be completely serious - when Wakana thought she was being stalked - but not stupid enough to make me hate myself like when I watch Glee. lol

(Santana's dumb lesbian thing. The Asian dude's stupidly stupid Asian angst thing. Ugh)

And yeah, by the end of last season, I boiled down a Glee episode to 10-15 minutes. I just couldn't stand it and watching actors lip-sync songs wasn't as fun as it was in the first season.

Jex

Well, how many good futuristic police-team anime franchises can you think of? Yamamoto wanted a cop show, so I think it makes sense that from a producer point of view, if he could make anything, he would want to make something "as successful and iconic as" those two works. It's pretty slim pickings in the genre honestly, in terms of quality.

For some reason you're overlooking A.D. Police!

Anyway, I wasn't commenting to much on the specific franchises so much as the general approach to creating the work.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
wonzo needs to post some Kingdom gifs in the mockbuster thread and claim they're from a Mulan ripoff.

Naruto Shippuden 266

This war makes me remember how hyped I was for the introduction of certain characters in built-up groups like the 7 swordsmen. Wish they had a bigger role.

God damn it. lol

I dunno, the VP is Sue without being annoying. Wakana is Rachel without being annoying. Badminton guy is Flynn without being annoying, and so on.
They're not also a) the best singers at the school while also b) being constant underdogs with questionable talent.

But, that's the comparison I would make - they're basically the rejects of the school trying to form their own club in spite of the opposition against them. It's also derpy enough not to be completely serious - when Wakana thought she was being stalked - but not stupid enough to make me hate myself like when I watch Glee. lol

(Santana's dumb lesbian thing. The Asian dude's stupidly stupid Asian angst thing. Ugh)

And yeah, by the end of last season, I boiled down a Glee episode to 10-15 minutes. I just couldn't stand it and watching actors lip-sync songs wasn't as fun as it was in the first season.

Tari Tari is basically what Glee would be with a much smaller budget and if every character wasn't an insufferable douchebag.

Jex

KyoAni needs to go all out and prove that they can do more than just the same shit every other season. Time for them to work on the next Gundam TV series.

I've only been saying this for years. I guess as you haven't really been touched by the light of KyoAni before this kind of thing must be quite feeling must be quite new for you.

cajunator

Banned

Burn Up W is my favorite one.
I love that genre so much but you're right, there just isn't a whole lot of it :(

Jarmel

Banned

The fact that he cites Inception is relatively interesting as Inception wasn't really that creative or original but Inception was beautifully executed. I'm hoping it's a really tight,script-wise, work due to the run-time.

Jex

Eden of The East : The King of Eden

Scrap the return of the awful
amnesia
plot device and this could have been a decent 35 minute OVA. Instead it's a terribly paced film consisting almost entirely of filler. I wasn't much of a fan of the TV show, but this film hits some new lows. I hope Paradise Lost is much better than this, but that might be expecting too much.

I think the main problem is that the 'plot' for the film was clearly originally envisioned as the second half of the tv series (it certainly had about the same budget as a tv series) and at some point they just chopped the episodes up and combined them into a film. All of which led to a really poorly paced movie.

duckroll

For some reason you're overlooking A.D. Police!

Anyway, I wasn't commenting to much on the specific franchises so much as the general approach to creating the work.

I agree, but I also think that it's a reason why IG veterans aren't going to touch something like this with a ten-foot pole. That's not to say that you can't have a successful work which was created with the intentional to be successful in a specific niche, but creatively that's always hard and somewhat unnatural.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom