• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2012 Anime |OT3| Where All the Waifus Are Made Up and the Points Don't Matter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andrew J.

Had no idea. Huh.

Yeah, Japanese cherry trees have been bred for generations for abundant and colorful petals, to the exclusion of all else, so their ability to produce fruit has been nil for quite a while. Actual cherries are expensive in Japan because they need to be imported.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
im696B2Y096ll.png

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Yuru Yuri s2 1-12

Show definitely wore out its welcome here, and increasingly convinced me how unambitious and droll it is.

/XX/

But I don't expect it to be good... I just want to see some crazy stupid fights. :(
Rest assured, crazy stupid fights are the specialty of the house!

Yeah, Japanese cherry trees have been bred for generations for abundant and colorful petals, to the exclusion of all else, so their ability to produce fruit has been nil for quite a while. Actual cherries are expensive in Japan because they need to be imported.
As I saw in a documentary emitted recently at NHK WORLD, it doesn't help that much of the production on their own country is located at Yamagata, rising population awareness and speculation about possible high radiation levels in their crops:

jibtv.com : Japan Live TV - FORWARD
http://www.jibtv.com/special/forward/en_vod.html#en36

The best thing for the enthusiasts of the sweet cherries in the region that travel to any of the farms is that they are allowed to taste all the fruits they can eat from the most precious tree the owner of the plantation has, as part of a promotion on the products safety. Good deal, I think!

Kazzy

Yuru Yuri s2 1-12

Show definitely wore out its welcome here, and increasingly convinced me how unambitious and droll it is.

I watched pretty much all of it over the last couple of weeks too, but I still hold a generally positive opinion of it. Like I've mentioned previously, I can't really see a middle-ground with YuruYuri, because it does pretty much rehash it's base jokes for all they are worth.

Which is weird, because I would use your above criticism, but substitute in Binbougami ga! Which I think wastes its interesting premise amidst an endless flurry of boring boob gags, or at least so far.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Not that it didn't come up with a few good moments, but the show played it incredibly safe with characters, incredibly safe with the story, incredibly safe with the humor, and incredibly safe with the lesbian content. S2 ep 12 really encapsulates this with the most rote rendition of a bad Snow White play. Even when they tried to actually DO something it was played safe then written off entirely.

Yuru must mean "coward".

Mecha

What are you guys looking forward to?

Gyrozetter - Faith in the director/the arcade game gives them cool attacks to worth with
Jojo's Bizarre Adventure - Faith in the source material, going to watch if its bad or not
Cross Fight B-Daman eS - Might as well
Magi(?) - Will try the first episode

Gyrozetter - Faith in the director/the arcade game gives them cool attacks to worth with
Jojo's Bizarre Adventure - Faith in the source material, going to watch if its bad or not
Cross Fight B-Daman eS - Might as well
Magi(?) - Will try the first episode
Gyrozetter in that TV spot recently looked amazing, hopefully comes in English.

Kazzy

Not that it didn't come up with a few good moments, but the show played it incredibly safe with characters, incredibly safe with the story, incredibly safe with the humor, and incredibly safe with the lesbian content.S2 ep 12 really encapsulates this with the most rote rendition of a bad Snow White play. Even when they tried to actually DO something it was played safe then written off entirely.

Yuru must mean "coward".

Episode 11 pretty much illustrates a microcosm of all that, an ambitious episode that pulls the rug from under itself at the very end.

Hyouka 22

That was a really good end. For a show that is about the characters, I am glad that it ended as it did. I liked development, how pretty everything was and just everything about this show.

One of my favorite series of this year. Too bad it's over. :[

Kazzy

That's what I was referring to, but even that level of ambition wasn't high.

Well, in terms of YuruYuri it was. It was certainly out of left-field for them to suddenly try to engineer a touching moment, which they almost succeeded on, but they conspired to bundle the execution.

/XX/

Good day of news already! Now we only have to wait for the STAR DRIVER THE MOVIE website update of today (with new trailer!), soon-ish I hope...

Jex

Not that it didn't come up with a few good moments, but the show played it incredibly safe with characters, incredibly safe with the story, incredibly safe with the humor, and incredibly safe with the lesbian content. S2 ep 12 really encapsulates this with the most rote rendition of a bad Snow White play. Even when they tried to actually DO something it was played safe then written off entirely.

Yuru must mean "coward".

Owch, listen to Hitokage laying out the burns. As someone who is only four episodes into the first season of Yuri Yuri I can't imagine that I will be continuing it. There's nothing necessarily wrong with it but neither is it doing anything to sustain my interest over the longer term.

Jex

They do look a little unremarkable. Nothing about them particularly stands out.

Not "bad" though.

To me it looks like they were really designed for animation and it looks like that's being used to full effect in the trailers. They look really clean.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Honestly I think a third season would be too much just following its same formula, two seems to be enough as is.

Is there actually anything left to cover? S1 excluded Akane so people were looking forward to S2. I suppose there are the other siblings who haven't been touched on as much but I doubt they are really worth another series.

The only other thing I can think of is bringing in the stories from the spinoff manga Reset!

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
To me it looks like they were really designed for animation and it looks like that's being used to full effect in the trailers. They look really clean.

They look very boring, the faces are ugly. I guess If I drew a circle and put 2 dots in it for eyes, you would also say that was really clean and well designed for animation?

And I don't see how anyone can defend those outfits, they're worse than YuruYuri's.

/XX/

Wait, I thought this was some slice of life romance thing. Guess it was because of certain people here hyping it up or something. Could be cool.
I blame 7Th and his 'pairing' charts for that.

But yeah, the designs are meh even though the art style is neat.
I like the contrast between the simplicity of their thin figures and the strangeness of other mutant creatures, makes them appear like more ethereal beings (something I suppose could be wanted, anyway).

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
I blame 7Th and his 'pairing' charts for that.

I like the contrast between the simplicity of their thin figures and the strangeness of other mutant creatures, makes them appear like ethereal beings (something I suppose is wanted, anyway).

They should have gotten a character designer who can actually pull that off, then. Like ABe.

Reknoc

Is there actually anything left to cover? S1 excluded Akane so people were looking forward to S2. I suppose there are the other siblings who haven't been touched on as much but I doubt they are really worth another series.

The only other thing I can think of is bringing in the stories from the spinoff manga Reset!

When in doubt; turn it into a battle series.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom