• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2012 Anime |OT3| Where All the Waifus Are Made Up and the Points Don't Matter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dresden

Wolf Children (Ookami Kodomo no Ame to Yuki)

Hosoda hasn't directed a lot of movies, but he has directed very different types of movies so far. I feel that this is his most honest and open one so far. It is also his most mature work as a filmmaker and a very interesting take on the material he has decided to tackle.

I don't really feel the need to talk too much about the actual contents of the movie much, because I highly recommend that anyone interested should catch the movie at the earliest opportunity to see for themselves what it has to offer. Instead I would like to talk about the themes of the movie and how the director approached them and executed the story into film.
Fucking America.

AAequal

Banned
You might like Shiki. It's really damn creepy for the first few episodes.

Maybe Higurashi no Naku koro ni as well.
Shiki's plot summary sounded interesting, will give it a shot. I don't really know what to expect, haven't seen any horror genre shows before but I feel like I'm mood for some horror.

Gintama 90

xHr2p.jpg

No need to focus on the characters, when we can see all that nice background.

Shiki's plot summary sounded interesting, will give it a shot. I don't really know what expect, haven't seen any horror genre shows before but I feel like I'm mood for some horror.

Higurashi is my all time favorite anime, it was so WTF. wish I could see it for the first time again. also dat soundtrack.
Shiki is also pretty entertaining as well.

Not even Natarle? Kira/Athrun?
Natarle was ok till a few episodes ago now she is kind of an ass.
Kira is too back and forth.
dislike Athrun.

Utena 10

Why is Touga
such a bastard
? Nanami continues being great, even when she's doing not so great things.
kitty ;_;

Utena 11

Lol Utena you big idiot. Get dunked.

Utena 12

The first half was unbearable. It was like having two Anthies. Second half was better even if Utena still seems to be ignoring the fact that Anthy just does and feels whatever people tell her to.

That wraps up box one. I don't feel particularly compelled to buy and watch the rest of the series, but I probably will because of GAF.

Finished Code Geass. Not my cup of tea. I did like some aspects of it, the setting was interesting as was the protagonists development. I disliked the art, characters weren't really that interesting, the plot sounded good from the start but kinda falled apart when the more outlandish stuff were introduced. It wasn't all bad, I did like some of the stuff that was going but inbetween there was so much material that I just could get into and hampered my interest.

Are there any good horror animes that are not hentai? I'm looking show with more then 10 episodes.

Suzaku and Lelouch were not interesting? Not even Rolo? :(

SAO delayed on CR yet again? Going to assume it aired normally in Japan and it's on their end this time.
iMOeV9pOB9k8h.gif

How do they expect to sell those premium memberships if they keep delaying popular anime every week :/

Someone needs to license it already so it can get on Hulu...Initially pay for plus for Accel World, but the more anime the better.

Hey, I liked it.
So did DTL.

That's about it, I guess :(

Yeah Star Driver was great.

Infinite Ryvius

Finished this up yesterday, and came away from it very impressed. While it does fall into the sci-fi genre, the greatest emphasis seemed to be on the individual character development as well as their relationships with one another. Everyone changed and evolved (well, maybe less so for the likes of
Yuki and Blue
) in some ways expected, and others not. Some of the more annoying characters, such as Lucson, even became likeable by the end.

I was also impressed with how they portrayed the overall society onboard the Ryvius. While most of the major characters seemed to hit a breaking point mentally, the overall societal structure seemed to hold together much better than I would have expected, considering it was all students aboard. Even then this didn't seem disingenuous to me, as
the various leadership changes, particularly when Ikumi took over, did take their toll eventually

I'm not the biggest fan of Hirai's character designs, but I thought these were reasonably well done. The cast here felt more visually distinctive here than Gundam SEED, for instance. Funnily enough Yuki looked to me like a proto-Kira/Shinn (didn't hurt that he was voiced by Souichirou Hoshi, who would go on to voice Kira in SEED).

Excellent series overall, and I'd highly recommend it even if you are not a sci-fi anime fan. Even though the sci-fi elements did seem secondary to me much of the time, I thought they were still well presented enough.
Well, the space squid were a bit odd, but whatever *shrug*

Sorry if these impressions are vague or rambling. Still not very good at articulating myself, so please be gentle, AnimeGAF :p. Thanks to Branduil (among others) for throwing out the recommendation to watch this.

Kokoro Connect 9

This was another excellent episode; definitely the best of this current arc. Despite the similarly dramatic nature of this episode in comparison to the previous few, the tone throughout was at it's most consistent and enjoyable. The comedic elements blended quite well with the more serious ones, and the episode benefited greatly from this balance. I'm really excited for the climax of this arc.

The larger focus on Yui and Aoki was a very welcome addition, and his confessions to her were touching and hilarious. Inaba was fantastic towards the end, and she continues to easily be my favorite character. I especially liked the scene where Heartseed assisted her in fully realizing the feelings she has for Taichi. The growing potential for a relationship between them is terrific, since their moments and chemistry with one another combine to create one of the strongest elements of the show. The seemingly imminent "triangle" between Inaba, Taichi, and Iori doesn't bother me as it normally would, since it will likely be handled quite well and unobtrusively. Of course, the possible Taichi x Inaba pairing is my favorite by far, so that certainly plays a part in my excitement for these new developments. It's great that the next episode looks to be centered largely around her.

Taichi's moment of self-realization was a very necessary step for him to take, allowing him to come to terms with his own flaws and selfish motivations, and, thankfully, it looks as though he's finally aware of what direction is often best in dealing with other's emotional problems. It was nice to finally see their temporarily fractured group fully come together in the final moments. The scene where all their desires were unleashed simultaneously was an excellent example of how great the show is when all or most of them are together.

Articalys

Saimoe Round 1 - Group E, Day 1 Results:

E01
1st 176 Sakuno Uryuu @ Mashiroiro Symphony ~The Colour Of Lovers~
2nd 122 Chiaki Kurihara @ Bodacious Space Pirates
3rd 98 Cordelia Glauca @ Detective Opera Milky Holmes

E05
1st 182 Sanae Nagatsuki @ Squid Girl
2nd 117 Yuuko Aioi @ Nichijou
3rd 90 Atsumi Miyagawa @ Recorder & Randsell

E09
1st 205 Charlotte Dunois @ Infinite Stratos
2nd 144 Chitose Ikeda @ Yuru Yuri
3rd 64 Mix @ Aquarion Evol

-----------------------------------------------

cajunator

Banned
Infinite Ryvius

Finished this up yesterday, and came away from it very impressed. While it does fall into the sci-fi genre, the greatest emphasis seemed to be on the individual character development as well as their relationships with one another. Everyone changed and evolved (well, maybe less so for the likes of
Yuki and Blue
) in some ways expected, and others not. Some of the more annoying characters, such as Lucson, even became likeable by the end.

I was also impressed with how they portrayed the overall society onboard the Ryvius. While most of the major characters seemed to hit a breaking point mentally, the overall societal structure seemed to hold together much better than I would have expected, considering it was all students aboard. Even then this didn't seem disingenuous to me, as
the various leadership changes, particularly when Ikumi took over, did take their toll eventually

I'm not the biggest fan of Hirai's character designs, but I thought these were reasonably well done. The cast here felt more visually distinctive here than Gundam SEED, for instance. Funnily enough Yuki looked to me like a proto-Kira/Shinn (didn't hurt that he was voiced by Souichirou Hoshi, who would go on to voice Kira in SEED).

Excellent series overall, and I'd highly recommend it even if you are not a sci-fi anime fan. Even though the sci-fi elements did seem secondary to me much of the time, I thought they were still well presented enough.
Well, the space squid were a bit odd, but whatever *shrug*

Sorry if these impressions are vague or rambling. Still not very good at articulating myself, so please be gentle, AnimeGAF :p. Thanks to Branduil (among others) for throwing out the recommendation to watch this.

Nice to read this. I just ordered it and I look forward to it a lot now.
I was craving for a great sci-fi anime and this looks to be it.

AAequal

Banned
Suzaku and Lelouch were not interesting? Not even Rolo? :(
Lelouch was, I liked his character arc from start to finish. Suzaku was whiny and idealistic, couldn't stand him :D Towards to end he did became more interesting, too bad the show was almost over at that point. Rolo was just creepy and rather easily swayed, not much going on for him.

Edit. The way Lelouch spoke was super annoying too.

Lelouch was, I liked his character arc from start to finish. Suzaku was whiny and idealistic, couldn't stand him :D Towards to end he did became more interesting, too bad the show was almost over at that point. Rolo was just creepy and rather easily swayed, not much going on for him.

Edit. The way Lelouch spoke was super annoying too.

If there is one thing I disliked about CG then it was Suzaku.

jbug617

Banned
Kuroko no Basket 22

Kuroko and Kagami both decided on what play style they want. I like
the lead up to Kise vs Aomine. I think the next episode will be about that game and less about Kuroko.

I wonder what is their plan to end the season. There was magazine scan with a new anime original character but I don't know if it was a fake or not. It looked pretty real but you never know. I think they might end with Kuroko vs Midorima again.

fertygo

I wonder what is their plan to end the season. There was magazine scan with a new anime original character but I don't know if it was a fake or not. It looked pretty real but you never know. I think they might end with Kuroko vs Midorima again.

How?

MANGA SPOILER
there's still decent gap to reach that match after Kise vs Aomine (which I assume will take at least 2 episode) I don't understand why they put a filler too if true

Steins;Gate ep 2 rewatch engdub

Considering Ruka, I guess I would have liked if he had gotten a deeper voice, I think. Though maybe its for plot reasons he sounds like that. Suzuha's voice kind of doesnt fit to me. She sounds exactly like Lucy Heartfilia in Fairy Tail and Lucy is kind of a bit more happier in personality and etc than Suzuha. Shining Finger (Moeka), sounds fitting for her role, nervous or kind of wobbly voice or something, but refined mature, probaby still will be tied for my favorite in Okarin's group (with Ruka). And lastly, Faris is alright, though in JPN didnt she add "nyan" or whatever to the end of everything she said, surely they could have done something similar in english?

Anyway, I guess its a good dub overall and no one is really all that terrible or grating on the ears. I liked how they attempted to sub as much of the text as possible on the mobile screens or computer screens for the chatroom, etc. "Gelnana's" sounds funny, but still that entire scene was great. Guess I may go through three and four and then inevitably rewatch it all once the disc comes later this month.

Dantalian no Shoka OVA

Another chance to see this OP played out is welcome.

This was largely another self-contained episode, as if the original run was one longer. Huey and Dalian's banter remained quite entertaining, even if the plot was on the shallow side(which isn't new to the series; but likewise it has always been carried by the characters' strength/appeal, which also did not wane).

I guess if the intent of showing this was to try and draw in another season or raise interest in the source material, it worked for me... although I would have liked to see more of the overstory here myself.

Steins;Gate ep 2 rewatch engdub

Considering Ruka, I guess I would have liked if he had gotten a deeper voice, I think. Though maybe its for plot reasons he sounds like that. Suzuha's voice kind of doesnt fit to me. She sounds exactly like Lucy Heartfilia in Fairy Tail and Lucy is kind of a bit more happier in personality and etc than Suzuha. Shining Finger (Moeka), sounds fitting for her role, nervous or kind of wobbly voice or something, but refined mature, probaby still will be tied for my favorite in Okarin's group (with Ruka). And lastly, Faris is alright, though in JPN didnt she add "nyan" or whatever to the end of everything she said, surely they could have done something similar in english?

Anyway, I guess its a good dub overall and no one is really all that terrible or grating on the ears. I liked how they attempted to sub as much of the text as possible on the mobile screens or computer screens for the chatroom, etc. "Gelnana's" sounds funny, but still that entire scene was great. Guess I may go through three and four and then inevitably rewatch it all once the disc comes later this month.

English dub? How could you.

Kuroko Basketball 22

609KB.gif

Stay strong, Teppei.

Another training episode which was still pretty enjoyable. Nice to see them working towards whatever new skills they'll soon develop, not just the main characters but for some of the team as well.

Also cool to see to see some development or at the very least establish the characters for the Kaijo Team.

cajunator

Banned
Which of these cuties is my imouto 02

This show is very very cute, but it continues to be mediocre at best.
I'll stick with it for the catgirls episode and probably after that out of curiosity.
The characters don't make me want to stick a fork in my eye so that's good.

jbug617

Banned
How?

MANGA SPOILER
there's still decent gap to reach that match after Kise vs Aomine (which I assume will take at least 2 episode) I don't understand why they put a filler too if true

I agree but I don't know where would be a great spot to stop. There is only 3 episodes left and they could finish with Aomine vs Kise. There is a lot important details that happen between that match to Midorima match. I wish they would extend the season because they have well over 100 manga chapters to work with.

cajunator

Banned
Whats with all this White Fox hate all of a sudden? I haven't even heard of that studio and suddenly they are the worst thing ever.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
There's just nothing special about their production values or their direction. In fact Steins;gate 1 is one of the worst directed "first' episodes I've seen in a anime.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom