• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2014 Anime |OT| this thread has been outsourced to Toei Phils

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Tokyo Ghoul Episode 3:

Yea, the censorship is really dragging the series down for me, it isn't just gratuitous violence that is getting the black bar but really pivotal stuff
like all the eating of flesh.
that is getting covered up. As far as the episode itself, it was alright, an introduction to the underground world of the ghouls and their dangerous angtonsits The Detectives.

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
Is that like the mature version of a channel? And still all this censoring?
Yeah, it's a premium channel to watch all the uncensored stuff
also, AT-X airs its first cartoon/non-anime series in Japanese language; My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic.

They show some hardcore stuff like daughter of msymone or highschool DXD

Kill la Kill 24

0DdbYGw.jpg

PcgrttO.jpg

Always wear rubber? :p

Everybody gets naked and everything ends well with a date. Almost felt a bit sorry for Senketsu too.

Well, it's the first action anime show I've seen and it was fun enough, but I'm not sure it's something I'm that much into. The comedy was ok, but not great. Mako was a fun character. The music was great, maybe one of the few shows where I liked the insert song more than the OP/ED. There's a few cool battles and over the top action, especially near the end and a story with some interesting twists. Some of the nudity was a bit strange, like those uh... tightening crotch shots in those transformation sequences though.

Even if it might not be exactly my kind of thing it was entertaining enough for me to give it a strong 2/3 Goku uniform stars:
74ne3OF.png
74ne3OF.png
FqrZwbC.png

Yeah, it's a premium channel to watch all the uncensored stuff
also, AT-X airs its first cartoon/non-anime series in Japanese language; My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic.

They show some hardcore stuff like daughter of msymone or highschool DXD
So is crunchy/funi getting the streams from these guys? I assume not due to all the censoring

ckohler

Even if it might not be exactly my kind of thing it was entertaining enough for me to give it a strong 2/3 Goku uniform stars:
74ne3OF.png
74ne3OF.png
FqrZwbC.png

I've enjoyed reading your impressions. Thanks.
Don't you agree that this would be a really fun group watch for ToonamiGAF?
Here's hoping it happens.

I've read through what's been translated of the manga and there's a lot of scenes that'll be really nice seeing animated but my lord the main girl is soooooooo damn obnoxious. Like I understand that the main dude needs to get his act together because plot reasons but she really comes off as unpleasant person to me. Maybe the adaption will show her in a better light (or worse! who knows).

Preview looks really pretty though.

I actually like her and her enthusiastic attitude. As a musician, she inspires me. Her zest for music and for life in general comes across really strongly, and that makes her a compelling character for me.

Midonin

I actually like her and her enthusiastic attitude. As a musician, she inspires me. Her zest for music and for life in general comes across really strongly, and that makes her a compelling character for me.
I've only read a bit of the manga, and will watch the anime because it's based around the arts, but I enjoy seeing someone else with this mindset. The energetic girls, the mood makers, they're the ones that are my favorite characters in these and many other kinds of stories.

Like Misaki from Sakurasou.

Thanks for bringing this content to the threads attention, /XX/. The blog, for those who haven't clicked the link is:

That's a rather ambitious task to be undertaking but I wish him the best of luck with his endeavour. There's certainly a number of writers who have attempted similar projects but what makes tamerlane's work here is that he's actually done the research. In other words, it's not "here's wot I thought about Evangelion" but "here's my opinion on the work and here's some information on the creation of it, the cerators, etc etc". It's also clear that the writer is drawing on a larger set of personal experiences than just 'watching anime' which is always great to see.

As someone who has written somewhat similar (but far less ambitious) pieces about anime I can attest that it genuinely takes a great deal of time and effort to produce even a handful of paragraphs about a title, yet alone a whole post about an entire year of anime that mixes 'reviews' of individual shows into the larger backdrop of the industry as a whole. It's certainly a great deal more work than taking a million screen shots of some popular show and dumping it on a blog somewhere.

As such I would recommend that anyone who reads AnimeGAF and is interested in reading more about anime check it out. I know that I will be keeping up with this blog which is more than I can say about 99.98% of all blogs written about anime.

For Hitokage and other Ojamho Doremi warriors here's a superbly concise piece about why you need to watch the show (seriously go watch it now!):

Unfortunately, the quality of this content actually saddens me somewhat. For those who aren't aware tamerlane was a junior on GAF who got banned a while back. This is where GAF's strict perma-ban's for juniors policy displays itself as far from perfect because writing of this quality would surely help raise the level of discourse about anime both in AnimeGAF and in GAF in general.

I wish I had the time to produce this kind of writing. Well, perhaps I'm just trying to excuse the fact that I haven't invested the time or the effort necessary.

Tamerlane sure has a lot of time on his hands to do stuff like this! I respect him for it, and I agree that it's too bad he's not around here to contribute with his wealth of knowledge and thoughtful consideration of anime. I do get the feeling from his twitter that he's a bit too confrontational a personality to survive GAF's moderation policies.

mankoto

So basically lol I'll see if story trumps censoring in this episode if it's yet one more episode of crawling in my skin I'll drop it. I signed up for battle anime not black screen.
I suggest you wait for the BDs unless you want to stay for some "What am I? Where do I belong?" type of melodrama. I'm honestly not that far in into the manga, but that's what it'll be like for the next few episodes at least... With some action scenes

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Terror in Resonance Episode 2:

Right, this series has quickly become very frustrating to watch, in that I want to like this program and it is very expertly made but it just instills feeling of apathy because I do not give a shit about any of the leads. The actions of Nine and Twelve lack any real agency and motivation in their actions. They also lack in terrorist credibility for a few reasons. The girl feels tacked on and kind of swept up all in this because we need a love triangle. Most glaringly there is an abject lack of terror all things considered. Not dropping this, but I am already calling this program the second most overrated anime of Summer 2014.

I'm sure watanabe won't disappoint.....hopefully. I've been waiting for his next good show since samurai champloo. Kids on the Slope was great but not to the same level of the previous two.

Argevollen 03

Eh. Still can't get anything from this show. Probably won't continue watching it anymore.

Zankyou no Terror 02

This show has a pretty good OST so far, in the way it's used in scenes. As expected of Yoko Kanno.
Kind of a weird episode from a Western perspective
as they spent minutes explaining Oedipus Rex and the Sphinx's riddle everyone knows to a Japanese audience, used to it being the other way around and having something about Onis lol. I guess even then they thought the "What walks on 4 legs, 2 legs, 3 legs" was too obvious and bait and switched it.
So the thing they stole in the first episode's opening scene was Plutonium? Kind of figured the VON and citizens panicking connection had to do with that.

Blablurn

Tokyo Ghoul, Episode 3

I don't care about the censorship. The guy a lil bit too whiny for my taste. But the story is still interesting. Feels like there is still so much stuff about to happen.

Midonin

Locodol 03

Nanyako and Yukarin's adventures continue. They already had a debate over who's the husband and who's the wife in their coupling, eventually settling on both of them being the wife. It didn't take very long for the already pretty high yuri levels to reach that status. The Uogokoro song at the end was pretty cute, as is the girl inside of her. Taking up cosplaying in a stuffy outfit as a way of getting over anxiety does give her character a certain change from someone who cosplays just because they're weird - like Kayo. And swimsuits are still a big thing, but in this case it was making the best of a bad situation. It's an enjoyable little show.

Chaika - 09
Well , Well

An episode focused on mémories , not bad.

The characterisation in chaika is alright, but could have been better.
At least the bond between chaika and the saboteurs is still getting stronger.

Hitsugi%20no%20Chaika%20-%2009.jpg

ARE YOU DENSE ?
Meanwhile , the gillette team is living new adventures , especially gilette , since he hadn't understood by now that a war transition doesn't work for everyone.I hope he "gets"it this time.

Elfen Lied seems to be quite the experience too if I have to judge it by the first episode alone :p

OMG , ABORT , ABORT NOW
Don't do this to yourself

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Persona 4 The Golden Animation Episode 2

Well, now I know what Persona 4 would looks like if it was fused with a fast forward button and horrible Z-Grade fan fiction and antics from a 1970s American sitcom.

mankoto

Sakura Trick 10
Finally someone noticed/openly acknowledged the obvious... Only for the suspicion to seemingly peter out because of the "they're both girls," angle. Ugh

Jex

Tamerlane sure has a lot of time on his hands to do stuff like this! I respect him for it, and I agree that it's too bad he's not around here to contribute with his wealth of knowledge and thoughtful consideration of anime. I do get the feeling from his twitter that he's a bit too confrontational a personality to survive GAF's moderation policies.

Yeah, well, that's certainly the reason he got banned in the first place. It's a shame.

Why are you doing this to yourself?

Judging from madp's impressions of this show, you're probably going to regret this.

OMG , ABORT , ABORT NOW
Don't do this to yourself

It can't be helped :p

RJyTUDu.jpg

i watch bet you to watch ttgl right now

or something

Not right now. Last watchbet for this month. You have a list of stuff you've watched? Not sure if I got you on MAL.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom