• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2014 Anime |OT| this thread has been outsourced to Toei Phils

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thoraxes

I actually have two copies now. the really old boxsets and the newer Nozomi releases.
You might as well wait for this value collection since the whole point of getting the other set was to get dat ring.
Its a nice ring.
I shall!

Also gonna wait on the $20 Panty and Stocking re-release too!

jbug617

Banned
Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

I thought that was announced when they showed it at a world premiere at a con a few months ago.

Sounds like they had no announcements.

I think they already announced the movie before. I should watch Hanasaku Iroha at some point.

They mostly did Toradora stuff it seems like with the VA.
Nyaruko is coming out in November and Hanasaku Iroha Movie coming out in October.

Narag

Sailor Moon Crystal 1

eh, no real complaints here. will remain cautiously optimistic

It's not like this supplants the original and as the recent JoJo series shows, it's not always bad to have a more faithful adaptation.

Ryuuroden

[Turn A Gundam Aldnoah.Zero] - 1

azero4yokov.jpg

I kid, I kid, Turn A Gundam actually introduced a number of interesting, warm, human characters in it's first episode.

So, I'm going to sound a little negative, but that's only because there's been so many glowing reviews of this first episode that anything will sound harsh in comparison. Why am I so different from many of you? It's just that I can't bring my cold, dead heart to feel such unabashed hope because I've seen too many anime go bad. Too many fallen warriors on the road to being decent.

I am, by and large, happy with Ei Aoki's direction here. It's solid as always. with the strongest element perhaps being the pacing ensuring that this first episode hit all the important story beats to set us up for the rest of the show. It could have done with being a bit longer to give everything a chance to breathe but I can't think of a better way to cover the same material in such a short amount of time.

However, when you cover so much material at once you ultimately end up spreading yourself rather thin and the thinnest part of this episode was characterisation. All we had time for was the briefest of introductions from all our key players: the (impossibly) naive princess, her loyal subject and traitor to his own people, and out Japanese teenager who will be important because that's how these stories role. There were plenty of other side and important characters introduced as well but with so many names being dropped and so much exposition being spouted I can't really say I felt connected to anyone.

azero9lkjih.jpg

Our Japanese-Teenage protagonist is slightly odd. He spends nearly the entire episode looking completely unemotional and detached from everything that's happening, despite it's severity. I imagine this character trait will be explored later because it's used too heavily handedly hear to just be a temporary thing for him. He must always be a bit of a robot.

azero1xyjr4.jpg

As for our other teens, they seem a little bit generic at this early stage. It's interesting to note that the episode, and the series, opens with a POV shot from Slaine's perspective, perhaps suggesting that he's the most important character, but it's too early to claim that yet. He is the character we see most POV's through though.

For Space Princess herself, she seems horrible naive. Does she not read books? The great war was very recently. This isn't a Danna Soreil situation where it's been generations of peace, it's very recent stuff- so why is this girl so positive? I dun get it!

Everyone else, will to be fair, even including those characters some of the time, just likes to talk and discus exposition in a heavy handed manner. We'll just have to see how they develop later.

Now, as for the plot details, there are a handful of things I find a little odd:

If the Martian's have such a distinct technical advantage, why have they been at peace so long? Why did they even stop fighting when they should have clear victory.

Why would you anime send a hated alien queen down to earth practically without backup and have her travel by god damn car? That' s beginning to be killed. II know it's just there so they can star to the conflict but it's still off.

In reply to your question in the spoiler tag
I'm sure she was sent down with hardly any backup because the Vars warring faction intended for her to die to use her as a reason to invade earth. I am sure that behind all of it was actually a Vars faction not earth terrorists, even if it was earth terrorists, I bet they were being supported by Vars guys without the earth guys knowing it, Kinda like how the Tea Party gets the majority of its financing from major corporate groups yet a lot of tea partiers don't realize it.

StormKing

Concerning Aldnoah Zero.

Did they explain why the princess landed in japan? Won't the other nations be upset at Japan for failing to provide adequate security for the princess?

Fate/Zero 2-7 English Dub Rewatch

This show is still as entertaining as ever. However, the amount of exposition is made even more apparent watching in my native language.

Voices that seem off:
Gilgamesh - played by the same guy who voices Richard in Tales of Graces. His performance is so bland in both Tales and this.
Illyasviel - thank god she is only in this one episode. She is the typical high pitched, no emotion little girl anime dub voice.

Standouts:
Caster - this guy does a great job laying on the crazy. When he mistakes Saber for Joan of Arc and shouts at her you truly hear the madness in the voice.
Rider - his deep voice and powerful speeches go hand in hand together. His performance so far has been fantastic.
Kariya Matou - does the job well as Berserker's master and is the stand out among the masters. You get the sense of the pain he feels and that he wishes to inflict upon others. Helps that he is War from Darksiders. It's such a shame he is the master with the least screen time.

This series is still one of my favorites. However, I'm watching with others and the biggest complaint is that there are too many characters and some of them are too similar. This is perfectly valid as I had a hard time remembering who was who when I first watched. Hopefully they'll start enjoying it more once the cast starts to thin out.

Stardust Crusaders Dub 2

ORAORAORAORAORA was fantastic in the dub, so was Kakioin, looks like they didn't license walk like an Egyptian instead we get generic Jojo music over a black screen crawl

Edit: Someone corrected me, episode 2 was like that, WLAE is still in the dub it wasn't introduced until episode 3

SAOII 1

who the fuck would play an mmo that rebalances shit without a free stat reset? Thats retarded.

Well i guess only suckers would be playing this anyhow

03-gal-gun-ps3-1.jpg

Did asuna age a bunch compare to kirito? Dude is fucking tom cruise. everything makes sense.

death gun lol.

props on the call out of you can pretty much learn about programming and what not from forums. heck you can figure out 90% of shit from stackoverflow for coding problems.

dont get why this dude doesn't just FCC or w/e japan has against apple.

The whole we got servers everywhere is pretty flaky shit. Heck im pretty sure intelligence agencies have 'pro gamers' in WoW and what not. No clue why they need to ask kirito.

ieo2NeBvw3QYu.gif

And by the ending... kirito is gonna go all jedi?

Superflat

Sword Art Online II episode 1

Talk talk talk talk talk talk talk talk talk.

75% of the show was Kirito and glasses talking over cake and coffee.

I didn't sign up for this! With this out of the way, there better be some dumb action next episode.

Hugstable

Banned
Stardust Crusaders Dub 2

ORAORAORAORAORA was fantastic in the dub, so was Kakioin, looks like they didn't license walk like an Egyptian instead we get generic Jojo music over a black screen crawl

Edit: Someone correct me, episode 2 was like that, WLAE is still in the dub it wasn't introduced until episode 3

Walk like an Egyptian wasn't until Episode 3 I thought.

If you're a woman and near the vicinity of Kirito-kun/Onii-sama you'd be praying just to have a chance of their penis noticing you.

They don't only save you with their penis. They give your life meaning.

Narag

If you're a woman and near the vicinity of Kirito-kun/Onii-sama you'd be praying just to have a chance of their penis noticing you.

They don't only save you with their penis. They give your life meaning.

Still pales in comparison to Crying Freeman. I don't think there was a female character (save for one?) that didn't appear and fall in love with him after getting fucked.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom