• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2014 Anime |OT| this thread has been outsourced to Toei Phils

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chariot

you know, something i notice in many shounen OP's. why must the women always be praying?

I mean its not like they have anything more productive to do, because they are women written by a male writer, but still
Yeah, it's not like plotarmor needs the blessing. It would be funny to have someone like Anna from Shaman King who doesen't give a shit about bad news because she trusts Yoh. She certainly don't pray - which is ironic since she is a shrine priestress if my memory isn't spotty.

TUSR

Banned
you know, something i notice in many shounen OP's. why must the women always be praying?

I mean its not like they have anything more productive to do, because they are women written by a male writer, but still

She's praying to Onii-sama to save her dumb ass from Kirito. It's justified too.

Hugstable

Banned
You're right, it had no ED until episode 3.
Good that they kept it, one of my favorite things about Part 3 so far.

Yeah the ending music choices in Part1/2 and 3 with Roundabout and WLaE are some top class choices for EDs. Especially with how much they were able to remix and switch up Roundabout at times was really cool.

Barakamon - 1
Really glad that so many were talking up this show before it aired. It's so extremely charming and lively that it quickly won me over. The comedic timing is good and never overbearing or slight. The lighting and color work of the island give it a pleasant atmosphere. Some of the local's country dialect added to that sense of place as well.

I just came away from it really, really impressed. The OP/ED are awesome too.

-Horizon-

Sword Art Online II episode 1

Talk talk talk talk talk talk talk talk talk.

75% of the show was Kirito and glasses talking over cake and coffee.

I didn't sign up for this! With this out of the way, there better be some dumb action next episode.

Still waiting for Sugu. Anything. One passing scene.

Yeah, it's not like plotarmor needs the blessing. It would be funny to have someone like Anna from Shaman King who doesen't give a shit about bad news because she trusts Yoh. She certainly don't pray - which is ironic since she is a shrine priestress if my memory isn't spotty.
Would be weird for spiritual anime folks to be praying... But then orihime was all 'kurasaki-kun' while praying for the whole fucking Hueco mundo arc.

Thoraxes

Ah shit, I have to wait to preorder Sailor Moon Boxset 1 because my credit card will expire before the release date.

Anyone know if Rightstuf is good with changing them via phone call so I can place my order now?

Quasar

SAO 2.01 - As with the book, I enjoyed the Kirito/Asuna scenes but was less than enamoured by the rest of it. I guess I'll get one more episode before its GGO all the time.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Happiness Charge Precure 23

For a long time this show got into a bit of a defensive posture where it was more concerned about avoiding pitfalls and not sucking outright than it was hitting high notes. Today marked a shift in that pattern as it was on point in all respects.

Given how much of it was about Iona being a cheapskate, maybe Toei was admitting a mea culpa?

MartyStu

Psycho-Pass 1 -17

I have been expecting the twist at the end of this episode for quite a while, but it is still pretty damn depressing. And even more tenuous than I originally feared.

My will to finish the series has been sapped.

Clov

Ah shit, I have to wait to preorder Sailor Moon Boxset 1 because my credit card will expire before the release date.

Anyone know if Rightstuf is good with changing them via phone call so I can place my order now?

Yep, I've done it before. Was pretty simple.

Stardust Crusaders Dub 3

Man I can't praise this dub more they really nailed it, glad they got Walk Like and Egyptian

All and all very impressed, can't wait to see more and for this to air on Toonami eventually

Ryuuroden

Psycho-Pass 1 -17

I have been expecting the twist at the end of this episode for quite a while, but it is still pretty damn depressing. And even more tenuous than I originally feared.

My will to finish the series has been sapped.

but but but, you must watch to the end so you can see Akane become a badass.

duckroll

[Turn A Gundam Aldnoah.Zero] - 1

Now, as for the plot details, there are a handful of things I find a little odd:

If the Martian's have such a distinct technical advantage, why have they been at peace so long? Why did they even stop fighting when they should have clear victory.

Why would you anime send a hated alien queen down to earth practically without backup and have her travel by god damn car? That' s beginning to be killed. II know it's just there so they can star to the conflict but it's still off.

There's a timeline on the official site which sheds more details on the setting. It definitely answers the first question, but it'll probably be explained in more detail on the show itself eventually too.

Mars was not originally in direct conflict with Earth. The first emperor of Mars - Rayregalia, was originally one of the first scientists sent to investigate the planet following the discovery of the Hypergate on the moon, and one of the founding colonists. When he ruled Mars, there was only a cold war with Earth, and what Mars wanted was independence. Later on he got old and ill, and his son took over as emperor. That was what triggered the direct invasion of Earth in 1999, and they fucked up with the Hypergate and destroyed the moon, causing Heaven's Fall. The son was killed in the conflict, and rule reverted back to the elderly Rayregalia. There was a cease-fire treaty arranged shortly after, and things have been at an uneasy standstill since then.

Since Rayregalia only turned again Earth and fought for independence after some sort of discovery, and this looks like a fairly traditional sort of scifi story, I think we can surmise that he found something regarding the Aldnoah which he felt he had to keep away from Earth and attempt to guard it himself. He probably doesn't actually want war, but in trying to protect the secret he ended up arming a whole bunch of crazy people who have developed racist ideologies over the decades and are more than happy to wipe Earth out if no one stops them. Lol.

Hattori

Banned
Barakamon - 1
Really glad that so many were talking up this show before it aired. It's so extremely charming and lively that it quickly won me over. The comedic timing is good and never overbearing or slight. The lighting and color work of the island give it a pleasant atmosphere. Some of the local's country dialect added to that sense of place as well.

I just came away from it really, really impressed. The OP/ED are awesome too.
It really gives the show a somewhat authentic feel to it (in addition to having real kid VAs.)

Welcome back Hito!

HappinessCharge Precure 23

Nafe is a cheapsake, but it paid off because this has been the first episode in a long time that has looked fantastic. Nice to know madp has an army of mini-madps inside him

VlEzHJJ.jpg

The episode was mostly the bonding of madp and Nafe, and as such, both Hito and I are barely here at all. Which means that since I'm not there, we might actually get an episode where I don't yell about my rice fetish!

TOO BAD! I'M SNEAKY AS FUCK!

But seriously, best episode in a while. I look forward to Nafe's dorkiness play out some more.

NEXT TIME: Remember when romance was a thing? It's baaaaack

There's a timeline on the official site which sheds more details on the setting. It definitely answers the first question, but it'll probably be explained in more detail on the show itself eventually too.

Mars was not originally in direct conflict with Earth. The first emperor of Mars - Rayregalia, was originally one of the first scientists sent to investigate the planet following the discovery of the Hypergate on the moon, and one of the founding colonists. When he ruled Mars, there was only a cold war with Earth, and what Mars wanted was independence. Later on he got old and ill, and his son took over as emperor. That was what triggered the direct invasion of Earth in 1999, and they fucked up with the Hypergate and destroyed the moon, causing Heaven's Fall. The son was killed in the conflict, and rule reverted back to the elderly Rayregalia. There was a cease-fire treaty arranged shortly after, and things have been at an uneasy standstill since then.

Since Rayregalia only turned again Earth and fought for independence after some sort of discovery, and this looks like a fairly traditional sort of scifi story, I think we can surmise that he found something regarding the Aldnoah which he felt he had to keep away from Earth and attempt to guard it himself. He probably doesn't actually want war, but in trying to protect the secret he ended up arming a whole bunch of crazy people who have developed racist ideologies over the decades and are more than happy to wipe Earth out if no one stops them. Lol.
Yea that's what's been throwing me off. I mean damn they haven't been on Mars that long and suddenly everyone up there is like "Hey Earth won't give us Independence let's genocide them!"

Crocodile

Jojo Stardust Crusaders 1-3 Dub

Not sure how I feel about Mohammed's voice and the line about Holly's Japanese in episode 1 needed to be changed but otherwise this was an excellent dub. Toonami when?

I'm wondering why, in society where anyone you meet on the street could be a flesh eating monster immune to sharp objects and with unknown powers, some how the world is carrying on basically as normal and people on TV are chatting about it like it's an everyday phenomenon. It would be as if the city you live in was filled with super-powered murderers (who could be anyone you meet) and nothing really changed? That doesn't seem very likely.

Maybe there'll be some world building that'll come how to explain how this is "normal" and why the entire army isn't roaming about trying to stomp out these literal monsters.

Yeah that REALLY stood out to me but I've never read the source material and I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt that they explain it later in a way that makes sense before going off on the scenario/writer.

Taruranto

In reply to your question in the spoiler tag
I'm sure she was sent down with hardly any backup because the Vars warring faction intended for her to die to use her as a reason to invade earth. I am sure that behind all of it was actually a Vars faction not earth terrorists, even if it was earth terrorists, I bet they were being supported by Vars guys without the earth guys knowing it, Kinda like how the Tea Party gets the majority of its financing from major corporate groups yet a lot of tea partiers don't realize it.

Yeah, it was quite obvious once whatshisface went all
"If something were to happen to her it would BAD, don't ya think? *wink*wink*nudge*nudge*

cajunator

Banned
SAOII 1

who the fuck would play an mmo that rebalances shit without a free stat reset? Thats retarded.

Well i guess only suckers would be playing this anyhow

03-gal-gun-ps3-1.jpg

Did asuna age a bunch compare to kirito? Dude is fucking tom cruise. everything makes sense.

death gun lol.

props on the call out of you can pretty much learn about programming and what not from forums. heck you can figure out 90% of shit from stackoverflow for coding problems.

dont get why this dude doesn't just FCC or w/e japan has against apple.

The whole we got servers everywhere is pretty flaky shit. Heck im pretty sure intelligence agencies have 'pro gamers' in WoW and what not. No clue why they need to ask kirito.

ieo2NeBvw3QYu.gif

And by the ending... kirito is gonna go all jedi?

gal gun looks pretty amazing.

Sold.

Captain Earth 14

A beach episode that moves the plot forward? What is this?

Though seriously JUST KISS/FUCK HER YOU FOOL that would fix like 90% of the drama right now

Jojo's Bizarre Adventure Stardust Crusaders DUB 2

Still good. Really loving Boboboseph Jostar still.

Can't wait to hear Kakyion talking about MILFs in english.

Hattori

Banned
Tokyo Ghoul 1
That was intense, I'm usually turned off by gory anime, but I'm surprisingly interested in how this one will unfold.

Lurky

So I have an idea for an anime.

All tsundere cast. Even the male lead. Even the mother. Even the sister.
Needs more yandere.
It's from the OP when Sailor Mars does her attack, it's a classic case of a really bad frame mixed in with really fast action. In motion you'd never notice it but when slowed down or paused it's clear as day

It scares me. I'll be seeing this in my nightmares.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom