• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2014 Anime |OT3| where everyone watches doremi for hito

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Comic Artist and His Assistants 02

fL6Gt8h.jpg

Nothing!

This guy hires anybody as long as they're cute. No experience or drawing knowledge needed! And a new direction for the manga, only prevented an accident.

Haikyuu!! Episode 25 (end)
ByC5JaTCEAESTNC.jpg

The only logical place to end the season really. With how the manga is going I hope they wait until late 2015 or later to make more
though a season of mostly training wouldnt be bad, but perhaps slightly disappointing in terms of progress

Datekou and Nekoma getting some minor screentime in the scene discussing the future of the series was a nice touch. Everything else was pretty good, like Yamaguchi's scene got just the right amount of scenes and feelings to really capture what everyone else (well except Tsukki) had to be feeling. Would have shortened Kagehina's scene, made me feel all weird to watch instead of emotional, I was kind of chuckling due to how loud they were and what everyone else around the gym had to be hearing.

Great adaptation for a great series for sports. Definitely in the top 3. Will buy on BD.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Crest of the Stars 1-8

Pleasantly surprised with the storytelling and how detailed everything is, be it the politics or the way the Abh race reproduces itself it's all fleshed out. It's captivating and I wanna know more. The downside perhaps is that the story progression is super slooooooow paced.

The biggest downside I find is they pick up the pace when the pace needs to be picked up and any sense of urgency is undercut by that.

One Piece Episode 662

One of the most intense and good One Piece episodes
Traffy shot
. Most of it was talking but Zoro and Fujitora scene was just as incredible as Sanji and Big Mom's ship scene. I must have dozed off reading the chapters as I didnt even realize something like that was occurring.

The final scene
SABO FINALLY!!!!!!!!!!!!

Haikyu - Episode 25 (End)

Amazing series, amazing ending. I'm glad they picked a great spot to end the series, and the final episode really punctuated how the story is about the characters and their hopes, dreams, and motivations, rather than just winning or losing in matches. Really strong presentation throughout the series, very polished visuals, exciting matches and interesting rivals on the various teams. I really hope they're doing a sequel next year. The best IG series I've seen in many years.

---

I don't read the manga, but just from reading the names of each chapter last week episode title:removing the solitary king is chapter 68, manga is at 122 chapter another season should be coming, probably waiting to see how they can cut another season out of the material they have...

Edit: show is awesome this and Baby Steps were surprise summer animes..

I don't read the manga, but just from reading the names of each chapter last week episode title:removing the solitary king is chapter 68, manga is at 122 chapter another season should be coming, probably waiting to see how they can cut another season out of the material they have...

Its at 126 chapters. Theyre only at the start of the tourney.

Wake Up, Girls! 03

Huh. He's suddenly missing his right arm in this shot.

Anyway... New OP, the girls get on (local) TV, a catchphrase is born and then finally a concert with more than 10 people watching, but not without some more tragedy though. Then some reporters seems to get interested, so I guess we'll find out why they try to hide Mayu's mother's face soon.

And Minami reminds me of Yayoi in Idolmaster just with Takane's appetite added.

Rail Wars 12 End

That train with the pendulums in it to help keep the ride smooth on curves was pretty cool. I want to ride in it to experience.

Pretty fun anime and just educational with all the train stuff. Enjoyed how entertaining it was week after week seeing everyone get together and solve the random problems and tasks. Was glad no one was a clear weak link or anything. 8/10.

mankoto

Aldnoah.Zero 11
Slaine does nothing.
Inaho still has a flawless victory.
The princess understands her place in the world.

Now let's see what the deal is with the finale...

Jarmel

Banned
Haikyuu-fin
I don't watch many sports shows so I don't have much, if any, point of reference how this compares to other sports anime. So just going by limited knowledge, I'll just have to note how well the show successfully handles its own goals and development.

The show is all about the characters and not only their actual technique but their goals and desire to keep playing. This can lead to really long matches such as the Aoba Johsai match but it really allows the show to delve into the mindset of the individual players and their particular emotions at particular points in time. It does feel protracted at times but I feel that it allows the character progression and growth to shine through. The audience has a very clear sense of how Kageyama has changed as an individual during the Johsai match. Even outside the actual matches, there's a ton of character work. The audience sees how not only the team but the individual players handle success and defeat. All that focus on the characters really makes the viewer invested in the success on the team. It's basic storytelling but so many writers and stories fuck this up, that I feel it should be noted. Hell, the show even handles enemies teams really well in that the audience gets a good understanding of the enemy teams and what is driving them. Everybody is giving it their all and the anime shows not only the progression of the main characters but their rivals as well.

Ping-Pong was another show this year that focused on the characters playing the sport, but a big difference is that Haikyuu cared more about the mechanics of the sport. That's not to say that Ping-Pong didn't care about ping-pong but rather the matches were a reflection of the characters and their issues. In Haikyuu however there is a much stronger emphasis on the players' actual technique and strategies. There's nothing wrong with either approach as when you boil it all down, the goals of the writers and directors were different.
I'm surprised by how much I enjoyed the individual characters on the team, usually certain character 'types' would annoy me like the genki lead Hinata but the show does such a good job fleshing out all the characters that they really become multifaceted. I thought the scene in the opening episode after Hinata lost where he's on the steps did a great job humanizing him. I also expected to be annoyed by Kageyama but his faux rivalry with Hinata worked great as the two play off each other extremely well. They're both extremes in the opposite direction but help not only to mellow each out but also amplify the great things in not just their playing style but their personalities as well.

Then there is Susumu Mitsunaka's phenomenal direction. There are so many scenes I can think of, even in the earlier episodes that were extremely well directed. I'm sure somebody thinks it's overly melodramatic but they're wrong. It was just the right amount of drama and as with everything that is competitive, people will pour their soul into it and will be heart-broken if they lose. The show was great at drawing out just the right emotion and really conveying how the players were feeling. The work feels emotional but not necessarily manipulative (which is not inherently bad), and so everything comes across more naturally. Episode 24 and 25 were such standouts in that regard, a really great example is the gym scene with Kageyama and Hinata. In Haikyuu's case, it really complements the character development without overtaking it. As for the animation itself, Production IG did a straight out fantastic job. Certain movements and rallies are not only beautifully animated in that there's a strong sense of movement, but the way the show can 'exaggerate' the movement really adds to animation. The show loves smears, and so do I. There's such a strong sense of style but it doesn't feel overbearing but rather exists to add a certain flair. This was such a strong effort from IG that I'm surprised after their recent output.
In short, I'm really excited for a second season.

Midonin

Sabagebu 12 + Final Thoughts

A Nakayoshi manga stripped of most of the things that would be signs it came from there. I do appreciate Momoka having a moment of self-reflection and becoming the butt of a joke in the final episode, but I never thought she was "the best protagonist of the season" or anything like that. Mostly, statements like that make me question exactly what the Western fanbase is looking for in their heroes. As I said last week, I would've liked the show a lot more if there was a sensible voice, a superego to counteract Momoka's id. Allowing her to do anything without consequence eventually started to lose its appeal.

While, as someone on /a/ said, that it's like comparing The Passion of the Christ to Life of Brian, there are some aspects of Stella C3 that I liked better than this series. Yura's more in line with the kind of protagonist I like, and the themes it was attempting to express resonate a little more. I like fourth wall breaking humor and movie references as much as the next person, but the humor in this show never fully clicked for me. It was still very enjoyable and I never felt like I wanted to stop watching it, but the combination of elements simply wasn't to my liking. Stella may have ended up a bit inconsistent, but in art, sometimes those mistakes can add flavor. Sabagebu was consistent, but I also never felt like it was trying to achieve as much.

My favorite character was Kayo.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Sabagebu! Episode 12:

Yea, this is about what I expected the finale to this show would look like, probably the best episode of the series and indeed this was one of the better shows of the season. Ikimasu indeed.

Maybe I should go back and finish Haikyuu. I got bored with the characters after 10 episodes and stopped watching, but some of these impressions make me want to see if it really is more than the generic sports shonen (and I like plenty of those) I thought it was when I stopped watching.

Theonik

Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha 04-13
By the end it was OK. I would rate it higher I guess if I wasn't told Arufu would get sidelined later.
WHY WOULD YOU TAKE MY ARUFU.

duckroll

Its at 126 chapters. Theyre only at the start of the tourney.

I think they're probably going to wait for enough material for a satisfying climax before making another season. I can see one either in Spring 2015 or Fall 2015, depending. They have time to spare anyway, since 7 Deadly Sins is taking over the time slot and will probably run for two seasons.

Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha 04-13
By the end it was OK. I would rate it higher I guess if I wasn't told Arufu would get sidelined later.
WHY WOULD YOU TAKE MY ARUFU.

Arf doesn't really get sidelined until season 3. You still have to watch A's, the best season out of all of them!

mankoto

Mahouka 24
Secret's out. Everyone knows Tatsuya is an officer. And Miyuki removed his limiter I take it? He was strong enough to cut people on a molecular level and stop bullets. No need to go all out.

Wake Up, Girls! 04

That idol factory.

Well, now the WUG only got 1 month until the I-1 Club idol machine rolls into the region. The reporters lies to them to get a scoop and people are talking shit on the internet.

But at least it's not all bad since they got 1 fan posting to defend them and they got their own short midnight radio show.

And for some reason there's Yearnings of Wind from Chrono Trigger sounding music in this episode.

Midonin

Akame Ga Kill 12

Chelsea's a fun new addition to the crew. The idea of these weapons of death having more mundane, practical applications - and also human forms - is an equally interesting proposition. Felt like a bit of a breather in between the action of the previous episode and the continuing problems with everything going on. And Esdeath's obsession with Tatsumi was odd before, but now that she's made it clear she'll accept nobody but him, I wonder exactly how far she's willing to go.

Joe Molotov

Yes PreCure 5 GoGo! The Movie: Happy Birthday in the Land of Sweets

ijqrtqPi1yMrs.gif

Nozomi just straight up murdered that guy, no fucks given. #StoneColdKilla

Birthday parties are SRS BSNS.

Yo guys a Full Metal Panic project is coming soon. Hey Corvo I know you'll be excited about this news.

http://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-news/2014/09/21-1/full-metal-panic-project-coming-soon

I don't want my hopes to be crushed, but please for God's sake let it be a Season 4. This is the anime we fuckin need.

What an odd turn of events. Last night we're all crying about the death of mecha and then POOF this shows up.

Hey guys, can we cry about the death of the magical girl genre next so I can get my new Madoka movie/season?

mankoto

Mahouka 25
Tatsuya came in, saved 2 livess, and left. What a guy.

Yo guys a Full Metal Panic project is coming soon. Hey Corvo I know you'll be excited about this news.

http://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-news/2014/09/21-1/full-metal-panic-project-coming-soon

I don't want my hopes to be crushed, but please for God's sake let it be a Season 4. This is the anime we fuckin need damnit.
If it's a new season, I've waited 10 years for this day. If not, I won't be mad. I just want more FMP.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom