• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2014 Anime |OT3| where everyone watches doremi for hito

Status
Not open for further replies.
Happy 125th Birthday nintendoman58! ;p

Happy 56th birthday Nintendoman!

Thanks to you too!

You won't hear any complaints from me, 00 S2 and the movie are straight trash. Anytime you bring aliens into the mix when they were never present in the first place is a sign you should have stopped a long time ago.

That and the fact that the Aeolia Schenberg plan they kept alluding to
ended up going pretty much nowhere and it was clear at the end that they didn't think that entire plot device through.

cajunator

Banned
After contemplating how badly I suck at sticking with one show I dicided to make a list of shit to keep myself organized:

Code:
[U]PHANTOMOFTHEKNIGHT'S ANIME WATCH LIST AND BACKLOG[/U]

[U]Currently Watching[/U]

[U]Waiting List (New and/or Unwatched Anime)[/U]

- Black Butler: Book of Circus (00/??)**
	- Denno Coil (00/??)
	- Galaxy Express 999 (00/??)***
	- Gatchaman Crowds (00/12)
	- Glass Mask (00/??)
	- Kino's Journey (00/??)***
	- Lupin III: Part 2 (00/??)
	- Lupin III: Part 3 (00/??)
	- Maria+Holic (00/??)***
	- Maria+Holic: Alive (00/??)
	- Princess Tutu (00/??)***
	- Psycho-Pass: Season 2 (00/??)** 
	- Puella Magi Madoka Magika (00/12)
	- Revolutionary Girl Utena (00/??)***
	- Sailor Moon Crystal (00/??) 
	- Space Battleship Yamato (00/??)
	- Space Dandy: Season 1 (00/??)
	- Space Dandy: Season 2 (00/??)**
	- Terror in Resonance (00/??)**

[U]Backlog (Old and/or Unfinished Anime)[/U]

- Astro Boy 2003 (02/??)* 
	- B Gata H Kei: Yamada's First Time (04/??)
	- Dear Brother (13/39)* 
	- Lupin III: Part 1 (13/23)
	- KILL la KILL (17/25)
	- Maison Ikkoku (03/??)*
	­- Michiko and Hachin (03/??)*
	- Rose of Versailles (02/??)* 
	- Sailor Moon (07/??)**
	- Space Pirate Captain Harlock (12/??)*
	- Spice and Wolf (01/??)*  
	­­- Tonari no Seki-kun (05/??)*
	- The Tatami Galaxy (02/??)*  

[U]Finished[/U]

- Psycho-Pass (22/22) [9/22/2014]

Notes:
*Rewatch - have started before but once gotten back to will start from the beginning again.
**Currently airing/In-production - will wait until it has finished airing to start.
***Memory Blank - technically should be in Backlog, but I have no memory of what happened in the how, so I treat them as New/Unwatched.

I have absolutely no idea what I'm gonna watch next though. Probably something older since Psycho-Pass was recent.

That is a pretty great list. You cant go wrong with the majority of it.

Narag

Is that a riddle?

Pvbkpzs.png

sonicmj1

Monthly Girls' Nozaki-kun 12

I'm mostly posting reactions to this episode as an excuse to post the following image:

ib2je7DgwiDNLp.jpg

It is a universal principle.

But I thought this was a nice way to close things out. Nozaki-kun has always shined based on the interactions between its crazy cast, and the festival was a good opportunity to mix things up in unusual ways. I'm definitely sad to see it finished.

[Nozaki] - Finale

This was okay.

With regards to the fireworks scene, I don't think the show shouldn't try to pretend that it's an actual shoujo romance because it isn't. It's a comedy that's at it's best when it's making light of those tropes and characters. As soon as it actually tries to act like a romantic shoujo the audience is forced to confront the reality that these are actually fairly static characters and relationships that exist for the sake of making gags. They can't progress because of the limitations inherent in the genre and set-up. The 'shipping' audience can only end up disappointed and so it's not surprising that some people were rubbed the wrong way by that element of the finale.

This doesn't necessarily make it right, but it reminds me a lot of School Rumble, which loved to pull the same kind of stunt. It's kind of a gag at the expense of those expecting romantic progression. Of course they'll be frustrated by it, but they kind of had it coming.

That said, if they're going for that sort of gag, they could find a more amusing way to frustrate the audience's expectations. I didn't really like Sabagebu, but I felt like the way they concluded the bullying part in episode 1 was a really clever take on a similar thing, for example.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
[Nozaki] - Finale

This was okay.

With regards to the fireworks scene, I don't think the show shouldn't try to pretend that it's an actual shoujo romance because it isn't. It's a comedy that's at it's best when it's making light of those tropes and characters. As soon as it actually tries to act like a romantic shoujo the audience is forced to confront the reality that these are actually fairly static characters and relationships that exist for the sake of making gags. They can't progress because of the limitations inherent in the genre and set-up. The 'shipping' audience can only end up disappointed and so it's not surprising that some people were rubbed the wrong way by that element of the finale.

Monthly Girls' Nozaki-kun 12

This doesn't necessarily make it right, but it reminds me a lot of School Rumble, which loved to pull the same kind of stunt. It's kind of a gag at the expense of those expecting romantic progression. Of course they'll be frustrated by it, but they kind of had it coming.

That said, if they're going for that sort of gag, they could find a more amusing way to frustrate the audience's expectations. I didn't really like Sabagebu, but I felt like the way they concluded the bullying part in episode 1 was a really clever take on a similar thing, for example.

This show was never about the romance though. It's a sitcom that depends on its characters being static. It took like 10 years before the brother from Frasier married his girlfriend. lol

duckroll

Looks pretty solid. There's a very unique visual tone to the show, and it's pretty obvious the production values are fairly high. I still don't know why anyone would have wanted to make a big anime series out of a f2p card game, but I guess Cygames is trying to expand on their IP? MAPPA has been working on this for really long too, so obviously it doesn't get rushed later on. Will watch.

Midonin

Sailor Moon 39-40

I read about episode 39 on Amanda Miller's blog, and the episode was a pretty sweet one for Mako. She has a talent that Usagi simply can't muster, though that computer's algorithm's are both entirely spot-on and not spot-on enough. Beryl needs to stop using the standards of old Moon Kingdom culture to find Sailor Moon in modern Tokyo culture. Makoto's a great character all around, and Minako is basically becoming Usagi's twin at this point. Her family's shrunk so far into the background that having them in the spotlight was a nice change of pace, if a bit odd, yet expected, to have everyone else just show up at the end. So besides the various monsters, there are also psychics and ghouls in this world that Rei specifically has to deal with, yet Moon Healing Escalation works anyway. I was also amused by Usagi talking about herself in the third person.

PK Gaming

Sabagebu! - END

The ending was just about what I expected from this show; general craziness amped up to 11 for the final episode. There were a couple of neat things they did in this episode, like this scene:

Totally inconsequential, I know, but it's cool how they directly addressed in-universe how awful Momoka was. Maybe it's just me, but I thought the entire scene was kind of... endearing? Like despite the fact that she's so terrible, her friends put up with her because of how interesting she is. This ties back to what I thought back in the first episode; I was expecting a standard mild protagonist, and got a character that was the complete opposite of that. At the very least, I think it solidified Momoka as anime character of the year (and Miou as secret best character) for me. The 2nd half of the episode was almost as enjoyable, if only because they finally paid Momoka back tenfold for her antics. Just deserts indeed.

All in all, I found Sabagebu! to be a fairly competent comedy anime. It had its ups and downs, but it never failed to make me laugh, and I always looked forward to watching it every week. Definitely gonna miss this.

As an aside, Sabagebu! was the first anime I watched alongside animeGAF, so i'm feeling a little sentimental. A lot has happened since I joined up, and I'm looking forward to laughing, crying and getting angry over anime with you guys. After all, nothing beats sharing your experiences with others!

Jarmel

Banned
So listening to Gundam Reconguista's OP and I'm wondering what are the best super robot mecha climax scenes? Just the climax scene alone.

5.GaoGaiGar Final
4.Star Driver
3.G Gundam
2.Eureka 7
1.TTGL

JoeFu

Banned
So Hanayamata did the impossible and I'm not really sure how I feel about that. I think I need to think about how I feel about the ending before actually reacting, but I guess I can't actually be mad about what happens.

I told you Hana would make it back! I thought it was cheap, but still liked the ending. The real world implication of her going back are hilarious. They had about a day, so her mom probably bought a super expensive ass flight, Hana got on the plane for an at least 12 hour flight, and got there around 7 pm. I don't feel like charting the flight and times, but it seems impossible hahaha

Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki-kun 12

Not the funniest episode of the show, but the festival provided a nice way to get all the characters together for one last go at things. Also provided some warm fuzzy feelings, even if Nozaki is as clueless as always.

All in all, a pretty good comedy with a great cast of characters who play well off each other. It managed to mix up the situations enough so that things never became stale, which is of course a big trap comedies can fall into. I don't know how long that can continue, but I'd certainly be up for another season if one comes.

Mahouka 25

Welp.

Like I said, they should have really split this into two episodes because they pretty much butchered everything.

Worst case was them not even explaining Miyuki's magic.

Just made out to look like her usual freezing, when it really wasn't.

Surprisingly or not, they actually got Masaki's Rupture scene right with all the students ready to spill their lunches out and his parting with George (even if Yaoi fans will take it the wrong way).

I am thrilled that they got Mayumi's making a face at Tatsuya scene.

http://d.maxfile.ro/ftpbgj.webm

Was really worried they would have just ignored it like a lot of others.

CorvoSol

So listening to Gundam Reconguista's OP and I'm wondering what are the best super robot mecha climax scenes? Just the climax scene alone.

5.GaoGaiGar Final
4.Star Driver
3.G Gundam
2.Eureka 7
1.TTGL

I'm disgusted and insulted you dared to forget STONAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
SUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUN SHIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIINEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

I would also like to include 100 Rocket Punches from Shin Mazinger Z.

And though I don't know if it is the -greatest- and it is from a real robot show, I'll always love FMP's Lambda Driver punch

I'd also rank G Gundam's Love Love Tenkyoken above Eureka Seven's Tagging the Moon because Love Love Tenkyoken is an actual attack, whereas Renton Tagging the Moon isn't actually a finishing move outside of Super Robot Wars.

Oh, and let's not forget The Big O's Final Stage.

But those are the ones that stand out most at the moment. Gundam in general probably can scrape out a few more.

And of course there are series spoilers all over my post, so don't click links all willy nilly, people!

You were misunderstanding them. They were talking about Titan season 2 - as in the next season of the anime - being rumored to air in 2015, not that the US release of the BD was delayed.
Ah. Nevermind lol.

For the record I don't even know if I'd care too much about a second season of Attack on Titan, at the least second half. The manga has gone to shit. Yes I know not many here are fans to begin with, but even fans of the manga are tired of the
civil war
boring shit.

kinger256

Do any of you guys have any recommendations for some good blogs/editorials? I'm having trouble finding any more quality ones beyond the few I currently read.

Jarmel

Banned
I'm disgusted and insulted you dared to forget STONAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
SUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUN SHIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIINEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

I would also like to include 100 Rocket Punches from Shin Mazinger Z.

And though I don't know if it is the -greatest- and it is from a real robot show, I'll always love FMP's Lambda Driver punch

I'd also rank G Gundam's Love Love Tenkyoken above Eureka Seven's Tagging the Moon because Love Love Tenkyoken is an actual attack, whereas Renton Tagging the Moon isn't actually a finishing move outside of Super Robot Wars.

Oh, and let's not forget The Big O's Final Stage.

But those are the ones that stand out most at the moment. Gundam in general probably can scrape out a few more.

And of course there are series spoilers all over my post, so don't click links all willy nilly, people!

I'm not talking about the actual finishing move but the climax scene in of itself. Like I didn't think of Stoner Sunshine because while it is by far the best scene in the series, it's not the actual climax.

5.GaoGaiGar Final
4.Star Driver
3.G Gundam
2.Eureka 7
1.TTGL

Star Driver is the only one of these that I haven't seen. I should probably get around to that later if it's ranked alongside those treasures.

Mobile Suit Gundam 0080: War in the Pocket: 5-6 END

Wow.

This has turned out to be one of those rare shows I feel I can show to people who don't like mecha anime. Hell, one of those shows that I can recommend to people who don't like anime in general!

Do any of you remember that thread back in Gaming about that father who took his kids who wanted to play CoD to Israel? Because he wanted them to see the harsh realities of war? And when they got back they didn't want to play the game anymore because it didn't feel right to them?

That's War in the Pocket. It's main character Al, is a bright, happy young boy who thinks giant fighting robots in his home is cool. By the end of the show, that all changes. I won't spoil what happens, but let's just say that the really ugly side of war showed its face right in front of this kid.

Give this show a watch even if you have zero knowledge of Gundam. It's only six episodes, and doesn't waste time with any of them. Go see it.

Jarmel

Banned
Star Driver is the only one of these that I haven't seen. I should probably get around to that later if it's ranked alongside those treasures.

I really should emphasize that I'm not commenting on the entire quality of the series but rather just the final climax scenes. Star Driver has a shitload of problems but the climaxes are phenomenal.

Quasar

Mahouka 25

Welp.

Like I said, they should have really split this into two episodes because they pretty much butchered everything.

Worst case was them not even explaining Miyuki's magic.

Just made out to look like her usual freezing, when it really wasn't.

How does that matter in the grand scheme of things.

Articalys

It's oddly satisfying to see my Currently Watching list slowly get reduced item by item, though that's tempered by the fact that I'll be dropping about 15 new shows into it within a couple weeks.

zulux21

It's oddly satisfying to see my Currently Watching list slowly get reduced item by item, though that's tempered by the fact that I'll be dropping about 15 new shows into it within a couple weeks.

I should work on doing that... but alas instead I am sitting around playing auidosurf to anime songs lol

Andrew J.

There are a lot of snobs around here who hate on Star Driver. They're wrong, but most of them can't bring themselves to deny that the finale is awesome.

Mature

I already read the first but the rest look great. Thanks!
No sweat. Also, looks like you're reasonably new here in general? Welcome! Hope to see you stick around. The manner of discourse changes from time to time, but there's basically something for everyone here.

Oh god.

The new Swagamato chapter.

This has the potential to join the comedy greats and it feels like Cromartie High humor, why isn't it an anime already? Even a short episode one ala Cromartie?

Last thing the show needs is longer arcs.

I just wanted my favorite part in the arc adapted well ;_;

How does that matter in the grand scheme of things.

Miyuki's magic?

It's more of a complaint that they didn't animate it well.

Or describe how it's her scariest magic.

Since
with no seal on her she freezes the mind of all the soldiers.

Meaning they're stuck like that forever without their bodies telling them that they're already dead.

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
Are you all watching UFO ROBO GRENDIZER like its 1970 and you should be?

Because this show is amazing. How?

The first five minutes of the episode is nothing but beating off jokes.

The animation is better than in any other anime ever made.

Duke Fleed learns to pole dance to pay his way through college.
i am convinced

Angel Beats 9-13
Now that I've watched this without anything distracting me, there's some glaring flaws. For one, the constant reliance on forcing a direct antagonist. Also, the weird way they forced obliteration on a lot of characters. A bunch weren't even actually satisfied when they disappeared. They literally just said they disappeared. Much less the the ones they said turned into NPCs which is the thing they were trying to avoid. Yui's episode felt just weird since that is counter-intuitive to her role as a parody of moe. Heck, the ending to the episode didn't make sense either considering the sequence was just complete fantasy. It was sweet but made no sense. Also, they backfired in lacking moe with the change in Kanade's character in the end. There's also the big flaw in making a time paradox the way they leave things off. It's understandable to leave things to mystery in the ending but, why would you write an ending that makes completely no sense.
On the good points of the show, the music was pretty good, adding to mood pretty well. The show also makes pretty good emotional scenes where the viewer at least feels something when the emotional scenes play out. I felt the graduation scene fit the theme pretty well.
All in all, the show is fairly solid but not quite great. A 7/10 in my eyes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom