• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2014 Anime |OT3| where everyone watches doremi for hito

Status
Not open for further replies.

XenoRaven

Would I be considered a hack if I popped in to say that until 4 days ago I hadn't watched a "new" anime in years until I watched Kill la Kill on a whim and just finished it today because I liked it so much?

This is purely hypothetical.

Would I be considered a hack if I popped in to say that until 4 days ago I hadn't watched a "new" anime in years until I watched Kill la Kill on a whim and just finished it today because I liked it so much?

This is purely hypothetical.

No way. I thought KLK was all right and I saw lots of great shows before and while it was airing.

But there's tons of much better shows out there than it.

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
Captain Earth 21

This was actually pretty well paced for once. Well balanced and action packed.

Attack on Titan 15

Naming names and stating stats? I thought I was watching and anime, not sportscenter. This is cringe-worthy writing.

Sleeping in restraints?
Oh Levi, you sly dog you

this is fucking boring

this chick is insane

Terror in Resonance 8

Shibazaki's daughter is a cutie

lisa you absolute moron

Shibazaki's such a fucking badass. Don't take shit from nobody.

Someone please tell me when this show's OST gets released; I NEED IT SO FUCKING BAD everything about it right up my alley musically.

One Week Friends 9

Awwwwww yeah get that Shogo

KISS HER YOU FOOL

fujimiya's mom is so ara ara

oh shit

the feels are here baby

Space☆Dandy 23

Speaking of feels, baby...heard this episode really rocked some socks off, especially in that department. Let's see if you were right, AnimeGAF...

Oh god this English dub narrator is really nailing it goddamn. He's usually on spot, but he really good here.

mecha sakuga? in my space romantic comedy anime? what won't you do to win my heart, Space Dandy?

okay damn this music is pretty amazing too

oh god you were right animegaf

you were so right

XenoRaven

I tried Gurren Lagann a few years ago but couldn't really get into it. I don't remember a whole lot but I remember feeling like it started slow. KLK basically starts with Gamagoori yelling really loud so I was a lot more invested right off the bat.

It's almost as though he sees women as delicate little flowers that need to be protected.
Right, right, because anyone who believes in equality is a "white knight'? That's a ridiculous dodge used by people who oppose equality, and nothing more.

You're quite right. Domestic violence of any kind is NOT good and on a personal level I lost family in a horrible way because of it, but the way its presented in anime is quite often comedic slapstick in nature and more focused against males. WOmen in anime are NOT delicate flowers.
I'm not talking generically here, remember. I'm talking about the relationship of those two characters in Nozaki-kun in specific. And it's not just "slapstick comedy", it's far worse than generic slapstick.

I mean, there was a time when people in the West thought that Punch and Judy (look it up, if you've never heard of it) was acceptable entertainment. Most people today would not consider something so sexist and racist harmless fun! Something similar is true for this.

Many times, though sexualized, they are pretty tough independent characters, who at least dont depend solely on a man to get things done. Actually the men seem dependent on the women to achieve any success, and many otaku have this submissive nature in which this sort of female dominance excites them.
Women in anime... independent? Er... no. Actual independent women are quite rare in anime, as you'd expect from a society as sexist as Japan is. Women in anime are almost always the old sexist stereotype of the "strong" woman who only really wants a stronger man to fall in love with, not legitimately strong and independent characters.

You know what? I agree with this as well. So many of these harem shows have the normal guy main character constantly getting the shit kicked out of him by a girl.

I wish there was a show where there were at least some consequences for that action!

Like, something like this:

I'm not gonna lie, I'd watch an anime with this kind of premise.
There's a manga where "tsundere" is an actual medical condition, and not just the usual violent entertainment stuff... what was that called... bah.

The idea that a simple role reversal is a problem because it's not ok for it to happen to a woman? That's the only thing I find particularly offensive.
Male-on-female violence is orders of magnitude worse and more common than female-on-male violence. Women VERY rarely kill their husbands, for example, while men regularly kill their wives. The two situations are, simply, not equal. Of course both are awful, but one, male-on-female violence, is worse because of how dramatically more common it is. Men are more likely to be physically violent than women are, don't try to ignore that fact. I at least do think that the more plausible something bad is, the worse it is -- something clearly absurd, like Mortal Kombat fatalities or driving down the sidewalk in GTA games or something, aren't at all realistic, so they don't feel as "bad" as something that might be less violent, but is much more plausibly realistic... such as some of the scenes between those two in Nozaki-kun. Way too far on the 'plausible' side.

I didn't mean to say that there aren't any romantic implications at all in these relationships, just that they shouldn't be looked at like they're a confessed couple.
Why does it matter if they're a confessed couple or not? They ARE a couple, that is their primary relationship -- she likes him, and he likes her but also beats her when she does things he thinks are dumb. Of course, he never bothers to actually EXPLAIN anything to her, something which would have solved the whole problem in the "does he want to dress up as a girl" scene. Because that'd make way too much sense. Just hit her again instead when she misunderstands. "LOL". Because anything is okay when you call it comedy!

I tried Gurren Lagann a few years ago but couldn't really get into it. I don't remember a whole lot but I remember feeling like it started slow. KLK basically starts with Gamagoori yelling really loud so I was a lot more invested right off the bat.

UH OH.

Rule number one of enjoying Gurren Lagann!, don't even think about dropping the show until after episode 8.

mankoto

Re:Hamatora 10
For a moment I thought I heard the MGS codec call, turned out to be just a cellphone.

Well, most of Hamatora can be considered seriously injured and incapable of fighting barring Murasaki, Three, and Nice. And of course
the guy with the healing minimum got minimum taken away...

Lurky

Prisma Illya 2wei Finale

Well that was an alright episode by itself. It's hard to top all of the action from the last episode though. Also, I don't think I mentioned this before but it was awesome seeing Miyu in a rider costume. So gud... Anyway overall this show was very good. I enjoyed it much more than I enjoyed the main fate/stay night series. The reasons why should be pretty obvious to most of you. But besides that it had some very good action scenes and a nice simple plot. But I do wish that this season had more
MiyuXIllya
since we all know that's the OTP right there. Other than that there's not much else I can complain about with this season. I'm highly looking forward to the continuation and BDs. I mean, it's Illya; how can I not buy that shit?

Syrinx

Ranma 1/2 48

That Jusenkyo morals guy's transformation was hilarious. As was when they were trying to train Genma and Ranma out of their curse.

Prisma Illya 6

Well the first half was about as good as I expected. But then Illya with boobs came. =[.
Wait, wait... are you saying something bad about Irisviel? She's only just about the best thing in the whole show! (other than Rin&Lluvia, and some of the fights)

You think this is a motherfucking game?

This shit really happened, son.

I know your weakness!

kids-into-bubble-tape.jpg

Lurky

Wait, wait... are you saying something bad about Irisviel? She's only just about the best thing in the whole show! (other than Rin&Lluvia, and some of the fights)

Yeah she's the best character in there aside from all of the other characters.
Nah she's all right but she has boobs. =[
And that disappointed me very much. Still better than Shirou though. My hate for him has never burned so brightly before watching this show.

Jex

This part almost made me drop the show. The whole Chimera Ant arc suffers from exposition-overdose, but then it goes on to teach about the horrors of war in the most Hideo Kojima-esque fashion and then I have to wonder whether they were trying to do satire or what.

I'm glad I kept up with it though. The end of that arc doesn't exculpate the awful pacing, but it's worth watching it in itself at least.

Togashi should really avoid attempting to make social commentary by drawing allusions to real world things e.g. North Korea, nuclear proliferation etc. His talents really don't stretch to that kind of material.

Jex

Monthly Girls' Nozaki-kun 12
This doesn't necessarily make it right, but it reminds me a lot of School Rumble, which loved to pull the same kind of stunt. It's kind of a gag at the expense of those expecting romantic progression. Of course they'll be frustrated by it, but they kind of had it coming.

That said, if they're going for that sort of gag, they could find a more amusing way to frustrate the audience's expectations. I didn't really like Sabagebu, but I felt like the way they concluded the bullying part in episode 1 was a really clever take on a similar thing, for example.

This show was never about the romance though. It's a sitcom that depends on its characters being static. It took like 10 years before the brother from Frasier married his girlfriend. lol
The thing about that 'gag' in Nozaki-kun is that it was fundamentally different from the other Chiyo/Nozaki romance gags in that it they changed the style of the direction. So, for example, whenever Chiyo is having a 'misunderstanding' with regards to Nozaki's feelings, the audience is aware that Chiyo is simply 'misunderstanding' his intentions because it's still shot, edited, and scored like a comedy. The audience is never in any doubt as to what's going on.

With the final episode, they change from a 'comedic' directorial style to a 'romantic' directorial style to 'fool' the audience into thinking their will be some romantic progression. This is a very different style of 'joke' that the show didn't ever try to pull before. It doesn't really mesh with previous portrayals of Nozaki and Chiyo at all. Unsurprisingly, this sequence does not exist in the manga which makes sense because it isn't in keeping with the rest of the series.

This is why some people reacted badly to it.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Crest of the Stars Episode 8:

Good god, this was almost a good episode, almost an excellent episode featuring several pitched battles between Lafel and the Baron, some of it not even between them, I liked how much screen time the maids got in this whole affair and the divided loyalties and such. The thing that killed this episode and indeed I am just about done with this series is fucking god damned Jinto. He was annoying enough with this series trying to very poorly push him as the main character and the love interest. This has failed on every level, but now I got to hear him try to conduct a morality lesson when all he did was literally sit and watch shit. No, fuck that, fuck this little shithead, and fuck this show. My passive loathing has turned into active hatred and given they will not do the sensible thing and kill him, I am done.

TUSR

Banned
Idolm@ster - 1 (The Girls Start Here)

To better understand why shows like this and Love Live are popular I started Idolm@ster.

Im not sure I quite get idol culture, there seems like a lot of characters for one season. And casually watching I feel like I would start to lose track of who is who.

Just watched all of Chihayafuru. What a good show. It's similar to Hikaru no Go in how it's able to draw you into a traditional Japanese game. I tried Saki as well but that one felt like it was too much luck as opposed to skill.

Are there any others like Chihayafuru and Hikaru no Go?

Girls und Panzer 1-12 END
I think it speaks volumes that I wish I'd watched this as it aired, delays and all. The tight writing and devious cliffhangers during the tournament made it hard not to marathon. Every match is a battle of wits that's kept visually interesting and coherent by switching between expansive aerial shots and first person POVs of specific tanks.

Outside of the initial three episodes, there isn't that much downtime for setup and hijinks. The main group of characters are given just enough time to make them sympathetic and give weight to each fight. It's all very efficiently crafted. After that, it becomes this well-realized bullet train of a sports show that's earnest enough to make its outlandish premise believable and extremely thrilling when you see these matches in action.

At a certain point, I basically knew what I was getting into after seeing so much praise for the show, yet the play on expectations with its premise and visuals still courses through the show's veins in other facets, such as the pay off to the Anzio fight. In some morbid hindsight way, one simple cut led to one of the funniest moments in the show for me. On the flip side, there's also this whole thing with schools being isolated onto various carriers out in the ocean that went in the opposite direction. Initially, I thought it was background storytelling that would fit with tankwondo being a popularized high school sport. Sadly, the real reason behind the carriers was more underwhelming instead.

But hey, the show's focus is clearly the tank battles interspersed with lighthearted character antics on the side. Thankfully, those happen to be its strengths. Very good show. Team Hippo da bes.

Steins;Gate - 3

Plot is beginning to thicken quite a bit. Now we're delving in the topics of mini-black holes and particle accelerators.

I do hope these chatroom sequences get some explanation sooner or later. If anything has confused me so far, it's these. Though I'm probably sure I'll meet this John Titor guy at one point or another.

Well... There's some stuff you should check out after watching the show I guess.

Idolm@ster - 1 (The Girls Start Here)

To better understand why shows like this and Love Live are popular I started Idolm@ster.

Im not sure I quite get idol culture, there seems like a lot of characters for one season. And casually watching I feel like I would start to lose track of who is who.

The first episode can be confusing, but everybody got episodes that focus on them so you'll get who is who.

Syrinx

Hanasaku Iroha 1

I don't know why I'm watching this at 3:30 in the morning, but such is life.

This girl really doesn't seem to have much appreciation for what's going on here. One day she comes home and hey guess what, her mom's boyfriend is on debt so they're running away and dumping her off with grandma who hates her sheer existence. Surprise! Like...could you have some reaction to this?

Cast at the inn seema interesting enough I guess.

TUSR

Banned

LWA2 production report!

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1311401276/little-witch-academia-2/posts/997182

Today I would like to announce that after going through countless versions of our scenario, we have finally settled with a plot that we are going to work with!

Currently, the small team at Studio TRIGGER is working on the second episode with a projected completion date of mid 2015. The team will preview Little Witch Acadamia 2 at Anime Matsuri on April 3-5, 2015 with the Director, Yoshinari Yoh present.

KB840fa.jpg

It's been a year since the campaign was funded and they still don't have a finalized script? Settling on a plot doesn't sound like a finished script.

It's been a year since the campaign was funded and they still don't have a finalized script? Settling on a plot doesn't sound like a finished script.

They're too busy having work that's not dependent on crowdfunding.

Still there should have at least been some progress on this. I totally forgot LWA 2 was supposed to be a thing.

Lurky

Hanayamata 1

Wow that blonde girl is just full of hnng. Such an angsty show though. Well at least so far it is. I hope to god that there's yuri in this to spice things up a little bit. I'm not so sure about continuing it... Did anyone here like the show? I should probably give it like two more episodes before I decide what to do.

Jarmel

Banned
Neither the director nor the writer had a major role in the production of Kill la Kill. Regardless, they should have had something approaching a finalized script before they even committed to the project.

Otsuka is the general director for Inou Battle. Yoshinari did the storyboarding and animation for the 1st KLK OP, a few cuts in a number of episodes, and the recent OVA had a major cut by him. I also think Yoshinari will have a few cuts in Inou Battle.

Both have been busy.

Jarmel

Banned
I should note it's possible that Trigger did have a script already in place but it was for the 25 minute runtime so when the KS took off and Trigger promised a 40 minute OVA, the script didn't work out.

Otsuka is the general director for Inou Battle. Yoshinari did the storyboarding and animation for the 1st KLK OP, a few cuts in a number of episodes, and the recent OVA had a major cut by him. I also think Yoshinari will have a few cuts in Inou Battle.

Both have been busy.
I forgot about Inou Battle. Otsuka is the head writer for that as well, so yeah he has been busy.
That is almost never the case.
Obviously script changes (to varying degrees) do occur even after something is greenlit.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
I forgot about Inou Battle. Otsuka is the head writer for that as well, so yeah he has been busy.

Obviously script changes (to varying degrees) do occur even after something is greenlit.

More like you don't understand how Trigger/Gainax work. Gurren Lagann was written on the fly, did you see that future Simon in the opening scenes of Gurren Lagann? That's how he was originally supposed to end up. Neon genesis was implied to similarly be written on the go,

It's practically how they work.

fertygo

Terror in Resonance - 11

That was spectacular last episode, the writing actually help bringing some interesting theme for one, theme about existence showing in this world without some effort to bring big exposure some thing just keep in the dark, despite how fucked up thing are.. if you only have justice you just yelling to the cloud, and some other thing that I can't put into word lol

And yeah I still gonna say I really like the show, I like the looks, the sounds and scene composition.. I fully understand the complaint about the writing, big shame indeed if just its can make the whole thing became cohesive package, how amazing that gonna be.

And I'm never gonna tired mentioning this, the big reason I adore the show so much.. I love how snappy it is, its maybe my most appreciated thing in any entertainment piece if seeing this kind of execution, the
nuclear bomb scene and 2nd half
is example of this. As little of dialogue as possible, big effort to manipulate scene with just visual and audio, tell a lot with little.. I love it.

Show also had some stellar individual episode, episode 1. 3, 4, 7, and 11 is some of the best episode for me all year long, presented some great directing show-off. if just the writing as whole not such a weak spot.. but the presentation is pretty much what I dreaming of for this type of genre, let just say if I watching random hollywood movie starring Collin Farrel and got this level of execution I won't say I disappointed.

More like you don't understand how Trigger/Gainax work. Gurren Lagann was written on the fly, did you see that future Simon in the opening scenes of Gurren Lagann? That's how he was originally supposed to end up. Neon genesis was implied to similarly be written on the go,

It's practically how they work.
Uh, Little Witch Academia isn't a television series.

jgminto

I wanted to make a thinly veiled post about how awesome D4 is ("D4 is the best anime of the year" for example.) but it's actually more like a Japanese interpretation of a TV cop comedy/drama than an anime, it even has its own intro montage/credits. Oh well, I guess I'll have to find another way to post about how awesome D4 is...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom