• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Anime 2015 |OT| SharingMana

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello GAF! I have returned from my mission and 2 year hiatus from anime and stuff ; don't know if anyone remembers me. Maybe cajun or corvo if he's still lurking in this thread.

I have a lot of shows ahead of me guh

WAT too soon! D:

edit: skimmed through some old pages ... looks like there was a whole string of bannings lately ... I don't even know anybody anymore :/

in any case I've been inactive here and on anime since November 2013; what have I missed

Welcome back peaceiscloser!

Yeah things have definetly changed regarding the status quo of this thread ever since you left.

A lot of regulars left, new regulars came in, some other regulars got banned, the thread's not the same as it used to be.

Sölf;175904487 said:
Nah, I actually enjoyed the first threee episodes. But after that, it just went downhill. Not even so bad it's good downhill, it just became horrible. Only good thing later on was the second opening. D:

The second OP was so funny. Tried so hard to be badass and then it showed the clip of that girl slamming her head on the desk.

Excellent sum up.

I dropped it the moment they confirmed the ninja.

I'm in it untill they reveal "Nagisa's great plan", I'm so excited to see how bad it's going to be.

It's not even that this show is so bad that it has any entertainment value, it's just outright bad.

I just watched this and it was quite interesting, basically an analysis of AnoHana's openings and how it connects to the show itself.

The very first video on the channel was a video examining the differences between the Baccano and Durarara OP's.

I look forward to seeing what videos they do in the future. Though do note that they contain spoilers for the series themselves.

I heavily recommend his videos about JoJo's Bizarre Adventure.

Razmos

I just watched this and it was quite interesting, basically an analysis of AnoHana's openings and how it connects to the show itself.

The very first video on the channel was a video examining the differences between the Baccano and Durarara OP's.

I look forward to seeing what videos they do in the future. Though do note that they contain spoilers for the series themselves.

I often hear tons of praise for Ping Pong. But I'll be quite honest when I say that the art style really puts me away from it. Also the sport itself. I just can't take it seriously. *hides behind a brick wall*

I often hear tons of praise for Ping Pong. But I'll be quite honest when I say that the art style really puts me away from it. Also the sport itself. I just can't take it seriously. *hides behind a brick wall*
Don't feel too bad. I think this is an issue for people who like moe a lot and/or don't like abstract art. I can assure you that if you get past your initial dislike you'll find one of the better shows of the past 2 years.

Artstyle aside, the sport is more of a tool to bring over the show's message of competition and the different kind of players that are on the top, I've thought about it and I can't really think of a better sport that they could've used, Ping Pong is a 1v1 sport, popular enough to be relatable to most viewers and it can also be really fun to look at.

In the end, even if you don't like Ping Pong theres still a solid message in there that can be applied to everything related to competition which makes it a worthy watch.

I play Ping Pong fight me

You can't take ping pong seriously? How is that not a sport that requires extremely good hand-eye coordination, fine motor skills and plenty movement. I'd think ping pong would be non-controversially considered a sport.

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan

Can't blame you, the artstyle is definitely not like most anime. but Ping-pong the animation is great.
As for the sport...
Watch this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tTFiQk5-9Ko
It's like anime!

What does this even mean?
What I meant is probably what I didn't write, in that some people can't watch Anime unless it has cute boys and girls and a standard appealing to the eyes artstyle (think kyoani) . The abstract part probably should've been the only thing I mentioned. I've seen plenty of people who say x show "is ugly".

Woah I wasn't expecting that quick of a turnover lol. Let me tryband reply to each one of you.

Don't feel too bad. I think this is an issue for people who like moe a lot and/or don't like abstract art. I can assure you that if you get past your initial dislike you'll find one of the better shows of the past 2 years.
Personally I am not into the moe stuff, but as you explained later what you meant was characters with a more appealing design, and that I won't be against. I like myself some good art, and the same thing can be said about the character designs. I believe everyone when you say the show may be great, but ultimately a show is something for you to watch. What you see is what you interpret from a show. If I don't like the designs, I could just see myself in my head just constantly pointing out how ugly it looks, rather than how good the story is.

Artstyle aside, the sport is more of a tool to bring over the show's message of competition and the different kind of players that are on the top, I've thought about it and I can't really think of a better sport that they could've used, Ping Pong is a 1v1 sport, popular enough to be relatable to most viewers and it can also be really fun to look at.

In the end, even if you don't like Ping Pong theres still a solid message in there that can be applied to everything related to competition which makes it a worthy watch.

I play Ping Pong fight me

You can't take ping pong seriously? How is that not a sport that requires extremely good hand-eye coordination, fine motor skills and plenty movement. I'd think ping pong would be non-controversially considered a sport.
I'll group these 2 together. There is no questioning in that Ping Pong is a sport and that it requires quite a bit of finesse to be good at it. What I meant by not taking it seriously is the way it is portrayed in the show, in an almost "live or die" kind of way, with heated competition. Sure, even in real life during tournaments those feelings must be there for the players, but Ping Pong for me is synonymous of a thing played for fun with friends. No offense to anyone here or anyone who plays Ping Pong lol.

Can't blame you, the artstyle is definitely not like most anime. but Ping-pong the animation is great.
As for the sport...
Watch this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tTFiQk5-9Ko
It's like anime!
You see after watching this video, although it is impressive it just reiterates my point of not being able to take it too seriously. I laughed out loud when the guy ran on top of the table lol.

Chihayafuru showed me the way. Karuta is best sport and I won't hear it any other way!

e:
You know, can't be that long until we get a somewhat serious anime on an e-sport, most likely a moba. Hmm...with how filthy rich Valve and Riot are, they could even sponsor the shows. I mean it's rather questionable if that would result in any ROI but I want it to happen either way!

Go どた II

Cornbread78

I watched the first couple episodes and "eccentric" is the perfect word for this anime. I mean, the below gif shows just how weird the show can be:

tumblr_mstrg52e9z1rjxik4o1_r1_500.gif

I'm actually kinda diggin the weird art style of the show. Also, that final scene in Ep.2 was pretty sad.

Jintor

i got a pretty standard magical realism vibe. Like a japanese neil gaiman kinda thing.

maybe i just have neil gaiman on the mind cos I read a bunch of his short stories today.

...oh wait, I guess neil gaiman's pretty weird.

i got a pretty standard magical realism vibe. Like a japanese neil gaiman kinda thing.

maybe i just have neil gaiman on the mind cos I read a bunch of his short stories today.

...oh wait, I guess neil gaiman's pretty weird.
Neil Gaiman isn't far off. Eccentric family might fit with something like American Gods.

After busting out Genius Party and watching the whole thing, only to find that Wanwa wasn'the even on it, and then having to open up Genius Party Beyond and watch it, I can officially state a reason why I don'the take 90% of suggestions seriously.

Wanwa is amazing. If all I cared about was animation, that is what I would say. It's one of those experiments in cinematography that get a free pass because they are different. But since I care more about plot, dialogue, and themes I can only honestly say that it was interesting and a good example of why animators shouldn'the be allowed to direct.

phaze

Gokukoku no Brynhildr 05

zzzzzzzz This is much worse than Deadman Wonderland or Elfen Lied and it's not like those two set a particularly elevated standard of quality.

Ping Pong isn't the most interesting anime.

Check'em! I'll be here all day folks. No I won't because I'm super behind on anime and I blame the CoD beta for that.

Rinne Episode 20
CMxsWzzWEAA0DQ3.png

Tsubasa makes this perfect. I think Ageha, Tsubasa, Rinne, Mamiya Sakura, and Rokumon focused episodes are when this is at its funniest and most intense. All are needed for a truly good experience.

Lovely magical tools.

Quasar

I watched the first couple episodes and "eccentric" is the perfect word for this anime. I mean, the below gif shows just how weird the show can be:

I'm actually kinda diggin the weird art style of the show. Also, that final scene in Ep.2 was pretty sad.

Love Eccentric Family. My favourite anime of the past few years.

Ping pong anime has serious writing issues that were sadly not corrected in adapting this retro series for the modern day. It had its moments but still, it gets more praise than it deserves.

After busting out Genius Party and watching the whole thing, only to find that Wanwa wasn'the even on it, and then having to open up Genius Party Beyond and watch it, I can officially state a reason why I don'the take 90% of suggestions seriously.

Wanwa is amazing. If all I cared about was animation, that is what I would say. It's one of those experiments in cinematography that get a free pass because they are different. But since I care more about plot, dialogue, and themes I can only honestly say that it was interesting and a good example of why animators shouldn'the be allowed to direct.

Animation is a visual medium. To create a unique visual world bursting with creativity and skill, a world that isn't bound by reality but can make flights of fancy that showcase the imaginative capabilities of the mind - that is one of the main things animation offers as compared to live action film. Dismissing one of the most incredible tour de forces of animation ever created - something whose style I've never seen replicated anywhere else - as just a visual showpiece misses the point. Plus, even on a thematic level, the way Wanwa deals with a child's emotional reaction to the illness of his mother and his confusion and fear of possible loss is meaningful and effective. That it focuses more on capturing an emotional state than tracing a complicated narrative doesn't make it less valuable as a piece of art.

In light of the fact that such a large number of anime directors get their start as animators, your statement that "animators shouldn't be allowed to direct" comes across as ignorant. Certainly being a good animator doesn't make you a good director - there are talented animators such as Kazuto Nakazawa whose directorial efforts are lackluster - but on the other hand having experience as an animator can give you a good understanding of what is possible in the medium and how to achieve it, and so put you in a good position to be a skilled director if you have the talent. Some of the best directors in the field are animators - Maasaki Yuasa, Mahiro Maeda, Hiroyuki Okiura, and Mamoru Hosoda, for example. So I would recommend to educate yourself about animation a little more before you make statements like this.

Sterok

Aikatsu 128

Oh, so Rin is wearing Dance Fusion, not Futuring Girl. They look so similar. It is a cool brand though. Finally, a designer that isn't a pain in the neck to work with. Johnny has yet more secrets and backstory. Johnny Bepp always did feel fake as a name. Rin is great in how she manages to be both self-confident and nervous without it mismashing at all. Top tier dance as well.

Shergal

But Wanwa isn't literature. It's an animation piece. Do you go to musems to complain about sculptures not having character development?

Sölf

I started watching Gakkou Gurasi yesterday. Just finished EP 4 and my god, that ending. I didn't expect that. Beautiful.

TheRancor

Anime is a visual medium, if you only cared about expository detail then you should just read a book.

But Wanwa isn't literature. It's an animation piece. Do you go to musems to complain about sculptures not having character development?

I'm not commenting on Wanwa as I haven't seen it, but to paint "plot, dialogue, and themes" as something only important to literature and not a vital part of visual media as well is quite misguided. It's perfectly reasonable to watch a film primarily for those things.

-Minsc-

Rinne Episode 20
CMxsWzzWEAA0DQ3.png

Tsubasa makes this perfect. I think Ageha, Tsubasa, Rinne, Mamiya Sakura, and Rokumon focused episodes are when this is at its funniest and most intense. All are needed for a truly good experience.

Lovely magical tools.

We could certainly use a gif of Rinne's deadpan skipping.

All the different personalities playing off each other does make for some entertainment.

duckroll

I'm not commenting on Wanwa as I haven't seen it, but to paint "plot, dialogue, and themes" as something only important to literature and not a vital part of visual media as well is quite misguided. It's perfectly reasonable to watch a film primarily for those things.

Good critique on art is not about what the audience necessarily wants though, but how effective it is at accomplishing what it wants to express. This applies to all forms of art, including literature. If someone reads a collection of poetry and concludes that it is only good for people who like "flowery language" and that it is boring because it lacks "dialogue and character development" or whatever, is that good critique on any realistic level? Of course not.

Chihayafuru showed me the way. Karuta is best sport and I won't hear it any other way!

e:
You know, can't be that long until we get a somewhat serious anime on an e-sport, most likely a moba. Hmm...with how filthy rich Valve and Riot are, they could even sponsor the shows. I mean it's rather questionable if that would result in any ROI but I want it to happen either way!

Go どた II

No way dude.

The best sport in anime is clearly Gunpla Battle from Gundam Build Fighters!

Good critique on art is not about what the audience necessarily wants though, but how effective it is at accomplishing what it wants to express. This applies to all forms of art, including literature. If someone reads a collection of poetry and concludes that it is only good for people who like "flowery language" and that it is boring because it lacks "dialogue and character development" or whatever, is that good critique on any realistic level? Of course not.

I agree with this, and I'm obviously hampered here because I don't know how effective Wanwa is at any of this. I just didn't care for all of those things I mentioned to be dismissed as belonging in the realm of literature.

Now I feel the need to watch Genius Party.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom