• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Anime 2015 |OT| SharingMana

Status
Not open for further replies.

Droplet

I hadn't visited MAL for a while so I had to edit some things, but I think this is accurate. No particular order. Princess Tutu should probably be on there too.

1oPy77V.png

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
1) Rurouni Kenshin
2) Cardcaptor Sakura
3) Cowboy Bebop
4) The Irresponsible Captain Tylor
5) Detective Conan

javac

I'm glad all of the lists here are unique overall, some recurring series are inevitable. I was thinking that my list was a bit typical before posting, although I don't doubt that it is on certain corners of the internet, I'm no unique snowflake, but hey I like what I like! :p

With the earlier Haibane & Lain BD re-release announcement, I thought it was to commemorate Yoshitoshi ABe's 20th Anniversary Artbooks or smth, but a new BD-Box? This might actually make me hopeful.
If Despera wasn't so dead.

Konaka: Thank you for reading this.
I’m going to back to anime.
I can’t tell what it is, but maybe you’ll enjoy it in 2016.

We actually know what it is - the Shishou Series horror web novel project that's getting a movie, a TV anime, and a TV drama in 2016. Konaka was announced to be writing the scripts for it.

The MAL talk got me thinking, what's everyone's top 5?

Hmm, hard question but for now I'll throw out in no particular order:

Haibane Renmei
Mushishi
Tokyo Godfathers
Trapeze
War in the Pocket

Cornbread78

Well, I'll try off the top of my head.

1) Clannad/After Story
2) Sword Art Online
3) Log Horizon
4) Angel Beats
5) Little Busters/Barakamon

I'm sure that I'm missing something, lol.

Probably something like

• Legend of the Galactic Heroes
  • Turn A Gundam
  • Aria The Origination
  • Shinsekai Yori
  • Horizon in the Middle of Nowhere
My MAL actually has nothing listed as favorites, since I don't really use it as more than just a list.

pelicansurf

Needs a Holiday on Gallifrey
1. Hunter x Hunter (2011)
2. Gintama
3. Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood
4. Hajime no Ippo
5. Samurai Champloo

Honorary (ie 6th): Mushi-shi

Then in the I love it with all my heart, but can't bring myself to dethrone any of the above (honorary honorary): One Piece

I don't like shounen, I swear!

sonicmj1

Personal top 5:

- FLCL
- Millennium Actress
- Ping Pong
- Akira
- Cowboy Bebop

I could see this list changing if I made it at a different time. A lot of good stuff crowding the edges.

javac

Most of the stuff in these lists I haven't seen, which doesn't surprise me but is cool. It got me thinking, a bottom five list would be a bloodbath haha. My lowest rated anime on MAL?
Madoka.
Not that I take MAL reviews serious or anything, more of an indication of enjoyment.

I'm seeing a lot of Millennium Actress on here, well done guys/girls! Amazing film :)

Here's my shitty list:

Hyouka
Black Lagoon
Soul Eater
Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood
Uchuu Senkan Yamato 2199

Honorable mention: Samurai Champloo

I'm bad at making lists and always forget stuff that I enjoyed a lot in favour of some other show. These may not even be my absolute favourites but they were the ones I remembered at the time, which might mean something on its own I guess. I added Champloo because that was also a really good show.

Well just for the record, here's my bottom 5. (Number 1 is the worst)

1. Madoka Rebellion
2. Gundam 00: S2 + A wakening of the Trailblazer
3.Hades Project Zeorymer
4. Sword Art Online
5. Vividred Operation (Sorry Zach)

Instro

Favorite TV anime?

Eureka 7
RahXephon
Skull Man
Eureka 7 AO
Blast of Tempest

Ok now that duckroll is gone

Dennou Coil
Mononoke
Cowboy Bebop
Planetes
Big O

A bottom 5? Never really thought about that. Aside from shit like Kampfer which I dislike because they just straight out suck the only shows I can say I supremely dislike other then "it's shit" for real reasons are Mahouka and Rebuild 3.33. Of course there are plenty of shows (Terror in Resonance) that come to mind because they are profoundly disappointing.

Oh we're doing bottom 5 as well? Then allow me to share mine:

Girls Bravo
Ikki Tousen
Gundam AGE
Love Hina
Vandread

Honerable mention: Gundam 00: S2 + A wakening of the Trailblazer (As bad as this combination is, AGE is far worse)

pelicansurf

Needs a Holiday on Gallifrey
Also, I feel bad mentioning favorites, since there are so many series that I really like.

Jojo's sweet, Planetes is sweet, Mononoke is sweet, Gurren Lagaan is sweet, Ping Pong is sweet, FLCL is sweet, Cowboy Bebop is sweet, Bakuman is sweet, Code Geass is hilarious, D. Gray Man is real sweet.

Watch my top 5 and then watch all these, then watch other stuff too.

My Top 5 (for right now, I'm sure I'd give a different answer if you asked me again in six months):
NANA
Mawaru Penguindrum
Revolutionary Girl Utena
Detective Conan
From the New World

javac

According to my MAL, my bottom 5 (1 is lowest):
1: Madoka
2: Dragon Ball GT
3: Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann
4: Dragon Ball Z
5: The Garden of Words

My real bottom five would probably be a bunch of stuff I watched like a single episode of and then ran away from, but I'll focus on stuff I've actually seen a decent amount of/all of in some horrifying instances:

(One is worst)
1. Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann
2. New Mobile Report Gundam Wing
3. Outlaw Star
4. Trinity Blood
5. Digimon Frontier

Narag

Hidamari Sketch x365 3
That Natsume sighting bodes ill tidings.

Jewelpet Kira Deco! 13
Coal and Opal are BACK. Next ep looks great too since it's an Opal ep!

Watamote 9
After getting some Hidamari under my belt, I can better appreciate the criticisms of this show as being imitation shaft or shaft-lite. I still like it but it's something I'm ready to see wrapped up as the humor's starting to retread itself.

Yami Shibai S2 1-13
The Resident Evil 5 to S1's Silent Hill 2.

Saudades

Bottom 5 huh?

1. SAO
2. Guilty Crown
3. Gundam 00 Movie
4. Angel Beats
5. Gundam 0083

Wanna squeeze Umi ga Kikoeru in there somewhere since I legit raged watching that, but these 5 takes the cake.

TIL anime should only be evaluated based on the quality of animation and things like narrative, dialogue, character development, and basically every principle of cinematography and story telling don't apply to it. You people are a bunch of hooligans. xD

Honestly I can't do a Top 5 right now since there're still a bunch of anime in my backlog that I haven't seen yet.

However Gintama would definitely be in it though.

TUSR

Banned
TIL anime should only be evaluated based on the quality of animation and things like narrative, dialogue, character development, and basically almost every principle of cinematography and story telling don't apply to it. xD

And this is why I avoid anime forums.

hello

Saudades

TIL anime should only be evaluated based on the quality of animation and things like narrative, dialogue, character development, and basically every principle of cinematography and story telling don't apply to it. xD

The hell?
Last I check it's still a visual medium.

TIL anime should only be evaluated based on the quality of animation and things like narrative, dialogue, character development, and basically every principle of cinematography and story telling don't apply to it. xD

Are you selectively reading a few posts in AnimeGAF, or am I missing a reference somewhere? Because when people review shows in here they tend to talk exclusively about the plot, characters, directing, music, and everything else with animation only being a part of it. When the show has shit animation it tends to almost always directly correlate with a bad show anyways, so if everything else was different we'd still say "at least the plot was good"

Look at Log Horizon. Background art was the redeeming quality in the art/animation department, most praise of the show came from the plot and characters.

Looking at what I've rated the lowest, it's mostly random 80s/90s OVAs, most of which I can't even remember anything about, let alone muster any emotional reaction to. But there's one anime which can still stoke my wrath: the movie New Kimagure Orange Road: Summer's Beginning. The first Kimagure Orange Road movie, I Want to Return to That Day, is exceptional, resolving the central romantic triangle of the series in a realistically painful manner. The characters had begun to grow up. Then the new movie, released 8 years later, has the characters grown up in age but ironically less mature emotionally, the previous resolution taken back just so the main characters can meet up again and do dumb flirting with each other in the midst of a stupid time-travel plot that the film can barely bring itself to care about. A quintessential example of an unnecessary sequel that spoils everything I liked about the series. I don't think I've ever been more upset with an anime.

Cornbread78

TIL anime should only be evaluated based on the quality of animation and things like narrative, dialogue, character development, and basically every principle of cinematography and story telling don't apply to it. You people are a bunch of hooligans. xD

168 pages of your "favorite anime sucks because" will give you all those topics answered and more.

Are you selectively reading a few posts in AnimeGAF, or am I missing a reference somewhere? Because when people review shows in here they tend to talk exclusively about the plot, characters, directing, music, and everything else with animation only being a part of it. When the show has shit animation it tends to almost always directly correlate with a bad show anyways, so if everything else was different we'd still say "at least the plot was good"

Look at Log Horizon. Background art was the redeeming quality in the art/animation department, most praise of the show came from the plot and characters.

I can't find it, but in response to my lack of being blown away by Wanwa (I did say that animators shouldn't be directors, which comes off as ignorant but it didn't sound that way when I wrote it nor was that my intention.) and my disappointment that the majority of what it had going for it was just its insane animation, someone posted some ignorant shit to the tune of "But Wanwa isn't a form of literature. It's an animation! Do you go to musems to complain about sculptures not having character development?" I didn't have time to respond so I've kind of sat around all day running it over in my head.

Anyway, back on topic since I've had my vent, my bottom 5 would probably be...
1. Glasslip
2. Other stuff

Thanks for completely ignoring what everybody was saying to you.

I just feel it's necessary to point out that not having dialogue shouldn't be counted as a strike against a film. Angel's Egg isn't a bad film because its characters barely speak. Films seek to accomplish different things, and there is no one-size-fits-all narrative framework that all film can be judged against.

I think your post was the one calling me out for my comment on animators as directors along with your actual response on why Wanwa IS a unique and powerful piece of the genre was the only productive response. Dialogue isn't the "be all ,end all" and it's only a way to further the narrative. Angel's Egg isn't a bad film at all because the narrative is strong enough to balance with the lack of dialogue. 2001: A Space Odyssey does this exact thing perfectly with the first 30 minutes being completely free of dialogue. I just don't that Wanwa's narrative is enough to make it better than Baby Blue or even Doorbell when they bring impressive animation (although not nearly as unique) and strong narrative to the table. I never meant to even imply Wanwa is bad as my post was in response to another comment telling me that Baby Blue was the worst of Genius Party and that I should watch Wanwa, so take all my statements with an implied "compared to _____".

I'm on my phone so if my grammar is trash tier, I'm sorry.

I just feel it's necessary to point out that not having dialogue shouldn't be counted as a strike against a film. Angel's Egg isn't a bad film because its characters barely speak. Films seek to accomplish different things, and there is no one-size-fits-all narrative framework that all film can be judged against.

Shergal

You don't seem like a good learner.

tbh I think Angel's Egg would've been better with zero dialogue because there was already so little. Except for the scream the girl does near the end.

Edit: Maybe not "better" but more effective.

Shimoneta 7

This might be the worst episode in the series so far. Kajou's shtick is getting repetitive and the new girl and her penis hair doesn't sound that interesting. Anna continues to be the best part of the show though. Just wish there was more of her here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom