• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Anime 2015 |OT| SharingMana

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cornbread78

So for some reason, I started another weird anime today. I couldn't watch Akikan right now (more like I didn't want to) and the tone in A Lull in the Sea bothers me for some reason... Anyhow, This $hit is crazy! Ecchiness aside, (I could have done without the panty shot of imouto....) it's just actually pretty good story wise so far with her being the Demon Lord's daughter, a succubus as her assistant (in the form of a loli girl, of course) and him being an ex-hero clanner that must protect her now, so they act like a family; oh and his childhood friend is a is a hottie, as well, but is still part of the hero clan so is an enemy of sorts Well, it looks like a real bad guy just showed up and $hit is getting real, so we'll see where it goes from here.........

Sölf

Overlord 09
Dayum. Just shows how damn strong they actually are. God, I love this show. And only 4 more episodes! D:

phaze

So for some reason, I started another weird anime today. I couldn't watch Akikan right now (more like I didn't want to) and the tone in A Lull in the Sea bothers me for some reason... Anyhow, This $hit is crazy! Ecchiness aside, (I could have done without the panty shot of imouto....) it's just actually pretty good story wise so far with her being the Demon Lord's daughter, a succubus as her assistant (in the form of a loli girl, of course) and him being an ex-hero clanner that must protect her now, so they act like a family; oh and his childhood friend is a is a hottie, as well, but is still part of the hero clan so is an enemy of sorts Well, it looks like a real bad guy just showed up and $hit is getting real, so we'll see where it goes from here.........

This doesn't sound like a good story at all.
ndaxxyizzoo7.gif

Squalor

Almost all shows establish their characters in the first few episodes. Development is changing the audience's perception of a character through either the characters themselves changing or by learning of a character's background. Even looking at something like Hyouka, much of the character development came later and it was a slow process.
"Establishing" a character is different from creating a compelling and organic characterization from which development can happen.

As I said, good/great shows do that. Bad ones, mediocre ones, and shows with no character development don't. Nothing from the beginning of Aldnoah.Zero gave that inclination.

Ascheroth

Idk may be cuz I am a little biased towards liking the God Eater series, but I don't think the show is bad at all? I've seen sooooo much worse than this.

You are not alone! Have been enjoying God Eater a lot. It's no masterpiece for sure, but it's way above average.
Always makes me sad when someone outright dismisses Knights of Sidonia, just because it's not 'traditional 2D'. I'm guessing the same applies to God Eater as well, to a certain degree, because of its artstyle.

Overlord - 09

Stuff like this is when the show is at it's best. Just completely wrecking those overconfident/arrogant scrubs.
And, I can't believe I'm actually writing this, but those CG-dragons looked badass.

Cornbread78

Something something bullying culture.

That's because Narag hasn't been around as much, so he needs to fill in that empty void. Plus, I already finished his recs, so he's got nothing left on me, so it's "your favorite anime sucks" culture going forward, lol.

Cornbread, you should watch Eureka Seven. You'd love it.

I'm serious here. It's a fantastic romance show. You love romance shows!

It just missed out on the top 5 of the Romance voting thread, so they had to have done something right. It's a movie though, isn't it?

Jarmel

Banned
"Establishing" a character is different from creating a compelling and organic characterization from which development can happen.

As I said, good/great shows do that. Bad ones, mediocre ones, and shows with no character development don't. Nothing from the beginning of Aldnoah.Zero gave that inclination.

There are so many counter examples that I can think of. G Gundam didn't do any characterization work early on. Garo didn't. Full Metal Panic didn't really start till later on. Patlabor takes a long time to get going on that front. The only heavy characterization work in Gurren Lagann in the first eight episodes was Simon having insecurities and depending on Kamina.

In fact I can think of more bad shows that do a lot of characterization work up front. Black Rock Shooter and Terror in Resonance come to mind.

That's because Narag hasn't been around as much, so he needs to fill in that empty void. Plus, I already finished his recs, so he's got nothing left on me, so it's "your favorite anime sucks" culture going forward, lol.

It just missed out on the top 5 of the Romance voting thread, so they had to have done something right. It's a movie though, isn't it?

NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO.

DO NOT WATCH THE MOVIE.

It's a fifty episode series from BONES that's on Netflix. That's what it is.

DO NOT WATCH THE MOVIE

It has one of the best romances in mecha.

DO NOT WATCH THE MOVIE. OR THE SHOW'S SEQUEL.

phaze

G-Reco is the best Gundam TV series of the 21st century.

God has forsaken this franchise even more than I dared imagine.

Oh I've plenty of recs should you be willing to listen to them.
picturen6p3j.png
Shigurui for example is a tale of two men vying for the hand of an heiress to the fortune. One of the more romantic and realistic love stories you'll ever find.

It's a ~49 ep long tv show.

+̶ ̶A̶ ̶s̶e̶q̶u̶e̶l̶ ̶t̶h̶a̶t̶ ̶i̶s̶ ̶a̶p̶p̶a̶r̶e̶n̶t̶l̶y̶ ̶a̶n̶ ̶o̶b̶l̶i̶g̶a̶t̶o̶r̶y̶ ̶w̶a̶t̶c̶h̶.

Ah yes...the Eureka 7 movie. Beautiful animation, unlike the show however, which you can kinda put the plot together at the end, it never makes sense. At least to me.

Why did Eureka lose her memories at the end?

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
It's with great sadness that I report that Ota "five shades" King died earlier today. He suffered a heart attack from the shock he received when when he saw the new Google logo

Anton668

i gotta few epi's into that. I need to pick that up. thanks for reminding me...

Overlord - 09

Damn that 'hug' was brutal. Great scene with the panic and desperation. Tags falling off one by one. The second arm slowly raising and the realization that you're more than fucked.
0PL5wSX.jpg

Fucks given: zero

Cornbread78

So, the moral of the story is.... Does Eureka 7 play on anything other than Netflix?

Any holy $hit, I just saw this gif on Tumblr.... Bravo creator, bravo...

tumblr_ntn7m2UZ3S1svdkd5o1_400.gif

javac

New releases for this week (09/01/15)

Blu-ray
Argevollen Collection 1 [Sentai]
Run Time: 300 min
Audio: Japanese: DTS-HD Master Audio 2.0
Subtitles: English
Format: One-disc set (1 BD)
Price:
BD @ Rightstuf.com: $38.99
DVD @ Rightstuf.com: $32.49
yfpIFvUm.jpg

K-ON!: Season 1 Collection [Sentai]
Run Time: 350 min
Audio: English: DTS-HD Master Audio 2.0 / Japanese: DTS-HD Master Audio 2.0
Format: Two-disc set (2 BDs)
Price:
BD @ Rightstuf.com: $35.99
Dwnta0cm.jpg

My Teen Romantic Comedy SNAFU: Season 1 Collection [Sentai]
Run Time: 325 min
Audio: Japanese: DTS-HD Master Audio 2.0
Format: Two-disc set (2 BDs)
Price: BD @ Rightstuf.com: $38.99
54Y2voHm.jpg

DVD
One Piece: Season 7: Part 2 [Funimation]
Run Time: 300 min
Audio: English: Dolby Digital 5.1 / English: Dolby Digital 2.0 / Japanese: Dolby Digital 2.0
Format: Two-disc set (2 DVDs)
Price: DVD @ Rightstuf.com: $25.99
T7gODoEm.jpg

Sketchbook ~full color's~: Complete Collection [TRSI]
Run Time: 325 min
Audio: Japanese: Dolby Digital 2.0
Format: Three-disc set (3 DVDs)
Price: DVD @ Rightstuf.com: $23.99
x4xRxkRm.jpg

Status